The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

Please note that due to the amount of spam posts we have been receiving over the past few months, we have switched Registration to require you to be approved by a moderator.  We will go through the approval list as often as we can, but if it's been 24 hours and you haven't been Approved yet or you've received a rejection email, please email myself or one of the moderators immediately so we may correct the application.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. July 17, 2018, 12:53:04

Login with username, password and session length

Show Posts
Pages: [1] 2
1  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Re: Visualization on: April 10, 2018, 07:33:50
Thanks for the responses.  Appreciated.

Visualization is like any tool.  It's not good for everything.  Use as needed.  The reason I posted was simply to point out to people who are trying to OBE/Phase/WILD using visualization techniques that it doesn't have to be as hard as people point out.  The only thing hard about visualization is the effort you must apply to perfect it.

I'll check out the reference Xanth.  Thanks.

p.s.  Read the article.  It had a good example of creating imagined scenes in your mind, but he plays a bit fast and loose with his 'visual' semantics, if you will.  His personal opinion regarding 'seeing' with the mind's eye is technically correct, only in the sense that we never see anything with our mind, we only sense and interpret it.  But you could say the same thing about physical sight.  We don't see with our eyes; our eyes are just lenses through which we gather vibrational data within the visual spectrum, transmit it to the visual cortex, and the visual cortex translates the data into impressions that we have learned to call 'sight' or images.  If you want to be technical with 'seeing', we never see anything.  We only interpret.  So trying to re-interpret the word to push his point can be confusing for people not already familiar with the topic.  But it was useful for people who didn't understand the relationship between visualization and imagination.  It was a good effort on that front.
2  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Visualization on: April 09, 2018, 10:52:34
Wasn't sure where to post this, so here goes.

I wanted to put out a quick post on my view of visualization, because I keep seeing so many articles that make visualization into something hard or promoting a way to develop it that is either outright wrong or is far harder than it should be.

Up front, if you can see an image in your mind when you close your eyes and think about the room you are sitting in, then you can visualize.  If you couldn't visualize, you'd be forever getting lost because you wouldn't remember what your house looked like, and you'd spend your afternoons after work wandering aimlessly through the city.  And very importantly, visualization doesn't mean that you stare at the blackness behind your eyes and draw silver triangles and squares or whatever.  If you are using your eyes, you are not visualizing.  You are staring.

The simplest way that I have found to start a visualization session is one of two ways: visualize, see in your memory, the room you are sitting in, or pull any other memory from you mind.  This automatically puts your 'sight' into your mind instead of into your eyes.  You stop looking physically and start looking through your mind's eye.  Once you have the scene pulled up as it actually is, add an ingredient to it.  If you are looking at your bed, put a basketball on top of it, or whatever you choose.  You are already in the right mental space, so adding items becomes easy.  This is simply a way to jump start your focus.  Once you start adding visual elements, you can do whatever you want.  Add, subtract objects at will. 

Initially, you are probably not going to see everything precisely.  Not a big deal.  Everything takes time to develop, but by pulling up a memory to jump start your session, your stress level diminishes and your efforts are rewarded right away.  The easiest way to improve clarity is to focus your attention on a specific point rather than taking in the whole scene.  Zoom in.  Look at the lines on the basket ball, look at the little nubs.  This, with practice, will give you clarity.

A final point on clarity.  Most people believe that they see quite clearly, assuming you don't have a visual deficit.  But if you look carefully, you will find that the only clarity in your vision is directly in line with your focus.  The rest of the room is actually blurred and out of focus at all times.  You can test this easily enough by looking with your peripheral vision while maintaining your forward focus.  Your eyes are just so well adapted to their job that they refocus with such speed that you don't notice any blurriness as you look around the room, so you falsely assume that everything is coming in with clarity.  So, when you close your eyes and visualize what you remember about the room, your mind doesn't play favorites and gives you the entire room, out of focus.  Because, in reality, that is how your mind gathered most of the data: out of focus through your peripheral vision.  That is why it is necessary to focus on a specific spot if you want to gain greater clarity; you are looking at a memory as a whole and are not focusing on a specific target as you would be if you were using your eyes with your eyes open.

One of the best practices to improve visualization and visualization's clarity is to practice looking at items around your room very specifically, drawing the lines of the object with your mind, looking at the particulars, mentally feeling the patina.  Learn to be more precise with your normal viewing of your world, and your inner world will become clearer and more defined as well.

thanks for the read
3  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / ADA/Mindfulness/Meditation, a different impact perspective on: December 13, 2017, 05:22:57
Everyone loves to talk about how mindfulness and meditation and ADA increases our ability to become lucid in our dreams, in our lives.  But the impression that I get from most posts and articles and books is that through some magical process of being more aware during the day we will manifest more awareness during dreams.  Few if any that I have read are specific about why it happens.  Because I don't think it is a matter of habit being transferred to the subconscious.  Not entirely.  Though that was my initial belief as well.  And I'm sure it still has a degree of truth.

What I want you to think about are the fMRI studies done on meditators using various forms of meditation and how it impacted the brain.  I don't believe that simply by having more focused attention during the day that the sleeping mind becomes more capable of instigating rational thought.  Not on its own.

There are numerous studies delineated on-line that show an increase in neuronal activity (new neuronal pathways) and a measurable increase in grey matter both in the prefrontal cortex and elsewhere.  I believe that it is actually this increase in physical brain mass and neuronal development that brings about an increase in awareness, both during sleep and while awake.  Through our persistent and increased observation and intake of stimuli from our environment, we are exercising our physical brain as well as our minds.  And like any muscle, the brain responds by growing denser through use.  More brain mass, more neuronal connections, more capability. 

So, if you want to become lucid in dreams, start pounding out some time with ADA, meditation, mindfulness practices.  Most people's brains are barely useful enough to get them from point A to point B at work, and then home to stare hypnotized at the television or their computers.  If you don't expand your physical brain through mental exercise, don't whine about not being capable of doing cool stuff like lucid dream and OBE.

Exercise the brain.  Grow the brain.  Become lucid.  Remember, no matter what you think the mind is, it must function through the intermediary of the brain to accomplish tasks in the physical world, and mental techniques are only useful if you have a brain wired properly to use them. 

I've been doing a lot of reading lately about brain states, etc.  Anyone else spend time on this and have the same or different opinion?  Thanks
4  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Re: Meditation's direct link to OBE/LD on: December 09, 2017, 01:46:14
Good information Lumaza.  I follow to a degree, but don't use, the new technical equipment that is out to have any useful comment.  I restrict my work to meditation.  As a general rule, I use some form of single-point meditation or Vipassana, though the former for me is more effective for deep meditation.  They each have their effectiveness. 

One of the best descriptions I can give for the feeling of deep meditation (Theta if you will) could be described using Monroe speak for convenience.    I would best describe it as being similar to F-12.  You have perfect clarity and a loss, for the most part, of physical body input.  The reason I use focus 12 versus focus 10 as my base description is that one of the most annoying aspects of getting deep, just as it is annoying for projecting, is the swallow reflex.  When I hit deep meditation, the swallow issue evaporates as well.  I have a perfect sense of calmness, a lightness if you will.  It's not an awareness state that I confuse with anything else. 

Another thing I realize as I am coming out of a deep meditation experience, is a feeling of entering a new world.  It's very similar to how you feel when you wake in the morning, still in a dream-like state (probably a solid Alpha).  You swear you are fully conscious, but then you open your eyes.  And bang, true waking reality hits as Beta waves start developing.  It's almost a physical jolt. 

I don't know if others have the same experience.  It could just be my personal experience with it.  Good luck with your studies.
5  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Re: How to live in the NOW on: December 07, 2017, 08:52:24
Thanks Lumaza.  I do something similar.  When I sit down to meditate, at the very beginning where I'm still trying to get thuroughly relaxed, I mentally project into the room.  I wander through the house, focusing heavily on various items in an attempt to bring them into 3D/HD focus.  I see this as my practice that is similar to what you describe.  I believe this practice will come in quite handy when I eventually acquire the ability to immediately drop into Theta state and project at will.  I believe that to be entirely possible with practice.  Thanks again for the response.
6  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Re: Meditation's direct link to OBE/LD on: December 07, 2017, 08:41:04
Thanks for the replies.  I was just trying to be more specific about the internal result of meditation and it's nuts and bolts.  People have the tendency to gloss over particulars, usually because they don't know them, and regurgitate generalities.  Generalities are not of much use when multiple interpretations can be made by everyone reading them based on their personal background.

Taking the term 'meditation', its definition gets very clouded by all the gurus sharing their mystical views and formulas about it and what it does.  But what they are doing is intermingling actions and goals when they give their descriptions.  Various sects use meditation as a means to reach enlightenment, or so they state as their objective.  But that doesn't describe meditation.  I simply describes the goal of a group who uses meditation in an attempt to achieve those ends.

Meditation, at the nuts and bolts level, is simply concentration with a particular focus.  Once you come to understand that, you can then use meditation for all variety of purposes and disconnect your purpose from the mystical. 

I view the frequency basis of deep meditation, and its correlative activities of LDs/OBEs, in that same light.  If you understand that achieving primarily the Theta state is your goal, then you more readily can apply technology (mental or physical) to achieving that specific goal rather than a more amorphous one, such as the advice "well, just relax and go deeper."  Deeper where? 

Xanth, it's as you've point out on numerous occasions about techniques; they all come down to shifting your focus inward and away from physical input.  We can't let the goals of a technique get confused with the technique itself, or we scare people away.  Meditation, simply focused concentration, is not religious by nature.  It's merely a mental tool to clear and focus our minds.  How you use your mind at that point is up to you.

Despite the clarity of your advice Xanth, most people skim over your understanding and chug on looking for something new.  I think more people would use meditation, for all its benefits, if they simply understood its true nature rather than the mystical one that gets self-promoted. 

Had to throw that out.

I may have stretched the intent of the original post a bit, but I think it all pulls together.  Thanks for reading.
7  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Hypnogogia on: December 06, 2017, 05:44:56
Earlier this year, a user called 'WW' posted and talked, in part, about a long series of random images he could watch but not necessarily step into.  He referred to this as a form of Phasing, or at least asked questions along these lines, not to put words in his mouth.

I get these random HD/3D images often either when meditating or trying to Phase/OBE, either faces or scenes, usually outdoor related.  But I never looked at them as Phasing.  I always viewed them as hypnogogia or hypnopompia.  I've never considered any event Phasing if I didn't actually step into the scene fully and become part of the event.  I've always looked at the flashing scenery as a preliminary bout, something to get you ready for the main event.  Not a very scientific perspective.  Just convenient.

Anyone else look at this as hypnogogia/pompia?
8  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Re: How to live in the NOW on: December 06, 2017, 05:08:53
I agree with your post.  It's quite amazing how if feels to simply follow your actions consciously and to be truly connected to Self.  I didn't really understand what it meant to be mindful until I stumbled on the fact that being in the moment meant being conscious of not just your actions in general but your intent specifically, the movement of your energy as an action takes place.  When you reach for a cup or flick off a light switch, you have to track your energy (metaphorically if you like) as it flows through your arm.  This directs your intent and attention, and truly puts you in the moment, puts you in the action so to speak.  Just casually watching the Now doesn't get you there.  Full involvement with the process of motion, the moment-to-moment accomplishment of intention, is required.  Thanks for the post.
9  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Meditation's direct link to OBE/LD on: December 06, 2017, 04:49:06
I haven't seen this discussed specifically, so I thought I'd bring it up here. 

One of the reasons that meditation is an effective enhancer of dreams in general, and lucid dreaming/OBE in particular, is because meditation is deep state practice, particularly Theta states for deeper meditation.  For deeper meditation, you should at least hit Theta as a primary state.  And the more time you spend in Theta consciously, the more conscious control you acquire.

People like to claim that OBEs and high-end lucid dreams are just as clear as the waking state.  But clarity doesn't equal control.  Clarity just tells you how pretty it was or how realistic it seemed.  It's your perception of the experience, your feel of it, not your control while there.  They are only similar to the waking state because in a waking state Beta waves are the predominate brain frequency, not Theta.  In OBEs and Lucid Dreams, Beta waves are still present, but they are not the predominate frequency.  This lack of Beta function reduces our ability to have purely rational, logical thought and decision making, whether we realize it or not.  In other words, in a dream/OBE our decisions are based more intuitively than logically.

The lack of high-levels of Beta waves is why we tend to lose focus more readily, and either revert to a normal dream state or transition out of the OBE/LD more quickly than we prefer.  In other words, we are far more easily distracted while in a predominately Theta environment.  The smallest distraction can trigger a random thought, which can trigger a random visualization, which can trigger a dream-world version of a daydream.  And off we go into unawareness or full wakefulness.

Meditation, not the trivial oh I'm going to relax for 10 minutes meditation, but truly deep meditation that carries us down into the deep Alpha and Theta states is a training ground for our mind.  It trains us to consciously know what it feel like to be in the Theta state, which is what happens in a lucid dream or OBE.  The more time we spend consciously in Theta, the less distracted we become when we are there in the dream.  The more practice we get at controlling our thoughts (meditation) while in Theta, the more readily we will enter lucid dreams and the more readily we will stay in them after we manage to arrive. 

Just another reason to meditate daily.

10  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Having full-immersion issues with visualization? on: December 15, 2016, 12:18:33
A point that I didn't highlight enough is that continuous action is what draws your attention the best.  Even something as simple as flipping a coin over and over into the air and following its path with your eyes.  Your focus on the continuous motion is what keeps your attention within the envisioned environment and doesn't allow your mind to so easily wander back to the physical.
11  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Having full-immersion issues with visualization? on: December 15, 2016, 11:59:04
I'm throwing something out that may help those having problems with visualization and full immersion as a focal method for projection/phasing, or simply meditation.  If you have your visualization skills down pat, this may or may not be as helpful.

What I'm sharing is all based on daydreams.  You'll notice that you have no problem becoming fully immersed in the daydream scenario.  And you become immersed very quickly, almost instantly.  If you are having pain, the pain evades notice while you are in the daydream.  In other words, you become fully engrossed in the 'other' environment to the point of losing recognition of your physical sensory input.  And you do it without any training, without any effort, without any techniques.

What helped my visualization skill set, regarding projecting/phasing in particular, was when I looked at daydreams to figure out why I could so easily, and so quickly, become immersed.  I realized that what was present in the daydream, that was not usually present early on in a visualization exercise, was my becoming involved fully in whatever daydream scene I had chosen.  But why was that so?  Why was a daydream so easy to get involved in and a regular visualization exercise a bigger chore? 

What I realized specifically was that I was caught up in the movement and in the emotion associated with the daydream.   It wasn't a bland environment as still as a tomb.

I also found that rapid, almost jerky movement was initially best.  The quick, spontaneous movements kept my mind focused on my actions, kept me in the moment far better than, say, sitting down on a dream cushion and trying to meditate from within the visualization.  In other words, the more daydream stimulation (including my emotional reaction to the situation) I encountered early in the daydream, the more fully I was engaged with that reality.  Simple tactile input alone usually wasn't enough.  It's generally not strong enough emotionally, sensorily. 

Exp.:  Feel the difference between 1) visualizing a slow walk down a lonely beach and 2) crouching on that same beach with your feet digging into the wet sand fighting with every once of strength you have to land the shark you inadvertently hooked while surf fishing.  In the second, emotional impact is high and movement is high as you fight with your rod against the pull of the shark.  You are fully engaged with the scene.

Engage with movement.  Engage with emotions.  You don't have to be bawling.  Just get into the excitement, mild or extreme, associated with you scenario.  If you are on a roller coaster, get caught up in how it feels to have the wind blow through your hair as you race around the track, getting jerked from side to side on every turn.  Be there.

With this simple skill, you'll open an easy-access pass to visualization-based projection/phasing.

A lot of you may already do this.  But for those who haven't stumbled onto this visualization key, I hope it helps.  It takes minimal time to develop, because everyone is already great at part of it.   

Once you have this skill down, once you've trained yourself to quickly enter the appropriate mental space for phasing, then look at the actual projection/phasing techniques, if you still need them.

Dr. Tom Campbell says that phasing is just a matter of refocusing your mind to the proper focus point.   This is an easy way to get focused.
12  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Child Mind = Quiet Mind + Discerning Mind = Lucid Dreaming Mind on: December 09, 2016, 05:14:00
Thanks Nameless.  I agree that children are naturally in motion, given the opportunity.  They act out their imagined universe, the NP universe if you will, so they are indeed more in touch with it as a consequence.  It's a good observation.  Perhaps that is why adults need to work with visualization exercises to increase their own connectivity.
13  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Child Mind = Quiet Mind + Discerning Mind = Lucid Dreaming Mind on: December 08, 2016, 10:47:42
Natural lucid dreaming is the goal we each snuggle up to each night.  It is almost every LD'rs ultimate, not-at-all-hidden desire.  But how do we get from here to there? 

There is a frequent comment on forums that goes something like 'we naturally lucid dream as children, but it's much harder as adults.'  I've been running this through my head for a while now.  I've come to my own personal belief as to why this is a truism and how we may be able to reacquire the sought-after Child Mind.  This mindset is what I believe naturals have, well, naturally, or have developed inadvertently.

The Child Mind really consists of two elements necessary for lucidity. 

To have a child's mind is to have a questioning mind, an actively inquisitive approach to your environment.  It is an instrument of exploration, always in the present tense, in the moment.  As we grow older, we join the local school and fall into the regimented training and mind numbing propaganda that disguises itself as education.  We are told that it is inappropriate to ask 'why'.  If it were not true on its face, why would it be in the book?  We are told to shut up and just rote memorize the material and we'll pass the test.  Move along.  Move along.

Now, having replaced the inquisitive mind with the rote-memorization mind, our brain habituates a response to stimuli in the rather dull, lifeless, utilitarian manner of an accountant.  It either records the data under one heading or another or dismisses it entirely as being non-consequential for not falling within parameters set into the subconscious through rote memorization and categorization.  We lose, to one degree or another, the ability to discern for discernment's sake.  We stopped asking 'why' the sky is blue, 'why' the ocean is wet, 'why' the leaf is green? 

We must reacquire both the child mind of meditative quietness and the discerning mind to foster a natural lucid dreamer's mind.  Habit forming activities are used to acquire both modalities.  Also, as a side note, techniques are most often futile without the proper mindset to start with.

Like anything new to learn, you must start from a position of stability if you want to get the most out of the training.  That stability is acquired through single-point meditation.  This type of meditation teaches you to control the onrushing thoughts and to bring about a quiet, controlled surface against which you can evaluate your surroundings.  This is a critical step to achieving the child mind.  The child's mind is an active arena, but it persists within a naturally occurring meditative state, as is witnessed by the high prevalence of Theta waves when tested. 

Let me give you a metaphor that pretty well shows what I mean:  I give you a well-organized front room and a disorganized one.  In the disorganized room, you have magazines thrown about, books lying around, cushions in disarray, left-over food on the coffee table.  If someone were to burglarize this house, you would be hard pressed to know if anyone had been there because everything was already in disarray.  In the well-organized room, on the other had, should a single magazine be out of place you could tell something was wrong.  For the majority of people, our minds more resemble the disorganized clutter than the ordered environment.

What does this mean for lucid dreaming?  When you go to sleep at night and the standard disorganized dream arrives along with aliens and one-legged donkeys, your mind doesn't consider it any more surreal than the Kung Pao chicken dinner left sitting next to the two-day-old pizza and the first edition War of the Worlds DVD.  They are just other pieces of clutter only occasionally considered out of place, and then with difficulty.  And your disorder doesn't have to be as extreme as illustrated above.  Most dreams are rather mundane.  But so is life, and that is where you are doing your discernment practice.  You are questioning your jacket on the back of a chair much more often than the appearance of a three-legged dog.

This strong base achieved through meditation is the first half of the Lucidity equation.  The second and equally important part is discernment.  Once you have an uncluttered field of operations, you next must reinvigorate the 'WHY' mind of the child.  The standard advice given in the many forums that I've perused is "Look for weird excrement and tell yourself you're in a dream."  But I have a simple question for you.  How many three-legged dogs do you think you're going to have a shot at noting each day or each week or even each month? 

You don't need those extremes.  Not in the least.  If anything, it is counter productive to look at them as necessary in any way.   You have everything you need around you every day of the week, every hour of the day.  What you should be looking for is not the extraordinarily out-of-place object but the familiar items that are out of place all around you all the time.  Ask yourself, "Why is my jacket hanging from the kitchen chair instead of hanging in the closet?"  "Why is there an empty can of cat food sitting on my kitchen counter?"   "Why did the dog eat your homework, John?"  You can do this dozens of times a day with little if any disruption of your normal activities.  Of course, do ask the questions in your head, if you don't want to be considered a loon.

Why, why, why, why?  Child's mind.  Discerning mind.  Orderly mind.  Lucid mind.

In overview, you can not discern the odd events in a dream if your mind is filled with disorder during the day.  It has no position from which to evaluate the disorder of the dream.  The dream, essentially, is business as usual.  You have not habituated the concept of order into your subconscious through daily repetition and practice.  Build the habit of a clear, ordered mind through proper meditation.  Build the habit of discernment through questioning of your environment.

Oh, yes.  The answer to the above questions, for Lucid Dreaming specifically, is always the same.  "The jacket is not in its proper place because this is a dream."  Say it with conviction.  Say it with meaning and intent.  You must create a habit of true discernment, not the habit of blase observation and cataloging.   

Lastly, is answering your questions in the above manner absolutely necessary.  Possibly not.  The mere fact that you question your environment should be enough over the long run, I would think.  Your call.

I hope I was clear enough in what I was trying to share.  Hope it helps as well.  I'm still in the throes of taking my own advice.  Hopefully in a month or two I'll have something definitive to say beyond my simple belief that it is true.  Interested in others' take on this.
14  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Trying obe4u techniques on: August 04, 2016, 23:01:33
My understanding of using a mental rundown is for you to engage your mind in a scenario that holds your attention, that has a bit of action but not so much that it over stimulates you.  I am not a big trampoline person.  Barely used them as a kid.  But it is occasionally effective because it is repetitive action that does not require much active thought.  i also use walking down a favorite beach and biking down a path along the beach.  I like to use beaches just because i am very familiar with them and feel comfort just being around one.  In other words, you need to choose something that you can connect to yourself.  Choose something minimally active rather than passive.  It draws you into the scenario easier.  Technically, if you found it personally useful, you could picture yourself meditating at the edge of a serene pond.  but the idea behind providing action to the scene is that it more readily draws you into it naturally by putting you into motion, so to speak.  These are just the theories of course.  Test stuff out for yourself.  Experiment.  No matter what, it has to suit only you in the end.
15  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Trying obe4u techniques on: July 30, 2016, 20:59:46
Phildan1.  Thanks for response.

The whole 'Think and Grow Rich' reference caught me by surprise, and I didn't know what you were referencing.   I didn't realize you were applying that specific book's underlying concept to this forum's content.  My misunderstanding it seems.  All constructive concepts can be helpful.  Thanks again.
16  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Trying obe4u techniques on: July 30, 2016, 12:43:49
Thanks for clarifying your position.  You are right in one respect.  To become adept at meditation, it will take some time, but just starting a regular practice will increase your ability to concentrate and focus.  You'll be surprised how quickly.  People too often fall into a trap with meditation and decide that if they can't become expert at it immediately, that it's not worth their time.  Most people don't have the capacity to think long term nor to make decisions and create action plans that extend focus and practice.  Now, now, now, now, now.  No patience. 

So, start simple. 

You don't have to find some guru or spend a nickel. 

Quick example:  Find a place to sit comfortably.  It doesn't matter where.  It doesn't matter how.  For that matter, half of my meditation practice is a walking one.  But for this simple meditation, just sit down and relax.  Take a few deep, slow breaths and tell your body to let go of all the tension head to toe.  You'll be amazed how talking to yourself really helps.  Once you are feeling comfortable and relaxed, notice your breathing.  Don't count.  Don't hold one nostril and breath out the other.  Just relax and take normal breaths.  People tell you to watch the breath.  Well, that can be confusing at first.  An easy focus is to put your attention in the center space between the intake point of your nostrils and feel the breath enter and leave.  And just watch.  Be the observer.  No actions.  Just maintain your awareness on the in/out flow of air.  That's it.   Start with 10 minutes a day and increase as you feel comfortable.  When your mind wanders, and it's guaranteed to, just redirect your focus back to the breath.  The redirection is an expected part of the process for every single person who learns meditation.

This simple practice can be the beginning of your meditation experience.  You can get all freaky with it later after you are comfortable.

This practice builds naturally your ability to hold a point of focus.  Holding a relaxed point of focus is a key element for Phasing/OBE.

If you want to play around with various Phasing techniques while you learn meditation, go for it.  But the ground work, the foundation for longevity is meditation, or more particularly developing your ability to focus your awareness on NPR long enough to phase into it.  And to be clear on this point, Phasing into it means that you have transferred your conscious awareness completely from the physical to the non-physical.  You have dissociated your awareness from your physical surroundings.

Hope this helped a little more.
17  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Trying obe4u techniques on: July 30, 2016, 03:28:08
Luffy28.....Interpret what?

The short e-book is as straight forward as you can get where phasing/OBE/AP is concerned.  Of course, that's based on my personal experience.

If you truly understand what focus means, there is nothing else for you to worry about.  The entire e-book was about using proper focus to achieve the out-of-body state, and I can't say it any better than Xanth did.

I've read that book maybe a year ago and I used it for what is the subject - money and trading.

Phildan1....I have no idea what you are talking about.  What does money and trading have to do with the e-book or Phasing?  You seem very confused.
18  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: When do you start looking through your eyes on: July 28, 2016, 01:43:05
To clarify, are you trying to look 'through your eyes' as you say just for the fun of it, just for the unique feel of the experience?  Or are you trying to get a handle on it because you see it as a step in the right direction toward Phasing/OBE?  I'm new enough on the sight that I don't yet have a feel for the different levels individuals are at in their phasing/OBE experience.  So, I was just wondering your purpose.

19  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Trying obe4u techniques on: July 27, 2016, 10:22:27
Luffy28, if you are interested, a small bit of advice that is not really technique related.  

Not to presume, but if you haven't already, read Xanth's free e-book.  Learn what focus is all about.  And I don't mean this condescendingly because focus when it comes to APing has a specific connotation beyond the obvious.  A critical one.

You have so much energy for this, so much drive to achieve AP.  Honestly, you seem to be in some huge rush.   In other words, you sound like the typical A-personality type driven by the need to succeed......now.

Relax.  Meditate to calm and focus your mind.  And, please understand, I don't say meditate like "go chill dude."  I mean that meditation is a critical skill for APing to become easier.   My first teacher taught me that over 40 years ago, and I've never regretted his advice.

Read the aforementioned short book.  Find a technique you are comfortable with and stick to it for a while.  Not forever.  But at least give it a few weeks before looking for more advice and jumping to something else.  

No one has 'the' answer you are looking for to make it all work.  More information is not what you need.  Calm practice and experience is.  Learn how to apply focus, and suddenly it will all snap into place for you.  Voila!
20  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Why the Rope Tech. doesn't work for most people on: July 26, 2016, 12:07:40
Yeah.  The forum has been around for quite a time.  I've been doing everything on my own and with specialized groups up until recently.  It's silly for me to assume that everything hasn't already been talked to death.  I get caught in the heat of the moment at times.
21  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Why the Rope Tech. doesn't work for most people on: July 26, 2016, 07:20:01
Maybe someone here wants to make the rope technique both semi-useful and properly understood.  You could teach it as as two-part OB technique.

Part #1:  Visualize a rope.  Keep focus on the visualization until you transition fully to NPR.  Emphasize the fully part.
Part #2:  Grab the rope and pull your focal awareness up to the ceiling of your bedroom just to make sure that you are indeed in NPR.

Sell it as a technique that climbers can relate to.  I hear that climbers are always suckers for rope related stuff.

Despite the sarcastic nature of this post, it's actually not that bad of an idea.  Someone needs to clear the OBE air regarding it.  It'll save a whole bunch of novice (and experienced sadly) OBEers a whole lot of grief and frustration.
22  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Why the Rope Tech. doesn't work for most people on: July 26, 2016, 03:05:32
I don't know if this is going to help, but I just looked at Xanth's link.  It reminded me of another problem area for OBEers.  The idea that some people (believe) that they can't visualize.  It is particularly relevant here.  Well, relevant enough, lol.  I bring it up because my point revolves around the idea of 'Focus' as Xanth discusses it.

Most people don't realize that simply pulling up a memory is a form of visualization.  And why this is relevant here is that whenever you bring up a memory or use any kind of visualization technique, you immediately put yourself into NPR; an aspect of your consciousness is already out-of-phase.  The only difference between observing your visualization and a full blown OBE is the degree of focus.  This is why Xanth's discussion of 'Focus' is so very important.  It is why simply focusing on your object of choice works.  The longer you focus on your focal reference, the deeper you get into NPR.  Eventually, you transition completely.  You lose focus on physical/waking reality, and you're OBE, full blown.   So, create your visualization, pull up a memory, just maintain the focus.  

Remember.  You are already OBE to a degree the moment you create your visual reference.  Hang in there, and you will naturally transition completely.  

Hope that helped a bit.
23  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Why the Rope Tech. doesn't work for most people on: July 26, 2016, 02:27:48
Something to think about if you are worried about breathing getting in your way.  Do you ever use music in whatever form as your focus?  What happens after a while?  Your awareness of the music just fades away naturally.  I even use Black Sabbath on occasion, and you probably know they are not a quiet band.  You don't have to focus away from it to get it to go away.  You are just here with your music, and then you are not.  You are in NPR.  As has been stated, it's really no different than falling asleep.   You sit there listening to your favorite album, or watching your breath, and the next thing you know you are waking up or in a dream or elsewhere.  As long as you maintain your passive focus, the rest will take care of itself.
24  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Re: During waking phase of a dream on: July 25, 2016, 09:12:26
Thanks Serge for sharing your personal experience with it.
25  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Re: During waking phase of a dream on: July 25, 2016, 09:11:44
Thanks Lumaza.  Appreciate the references.  I certainly check them out.

My direction in this is that I would be coming out of a dream and sitting at the edge of wakefulness, perhaps or perhaps not with hypnopompia, and then looking to re-enter the dream state.  In my scenario, I would be aware of my body in bed, just not engaged with it the way I would be if I opened my eyes. 

"at no time do I become consciously awake to the point of being back in my bed again":  To be clear, are you saying that you don't wake up at all, that you're still in a dream state and then enter another dream?  Or do you know you are in bed, but you choose not to engage in the act of waking up by opening your eyes and interacting with your physical environment?

Perhaps this is cleared up in your referenced material.  I'll give it a look shortly.
Pages: [1] 2