The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

Please note that due to the amount of spam posts we have been receiving over the past few months, we have switched Registration to require you to be approved by a moderator.  We will go through the approval list as often as we can, but if it's been 24 hours and you haven't been Approved yet or you've received a rejection email, please email myself or one of the moderators immediately so we may correct the application.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 26, 2016, 05:11:09

Login with username, password and session length

Show Posts
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 84
1  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Masculine Energy on: September 05, 2016, 00:44:01
Not only does the universe "definitely contain polarities" but it absolutely depends on it. There would be no physical universe without it. Also calling creativity "feminine" is, imho, more fundamental than calling a particle's charge negative (which truly is completely arbitrary). Electrons and protons carry opposite charge but which one we choose to call positive (and the other negative) is strictly convention.

We need to make the distinction between the name and the essence here though. Sure, the positive/ negative names are convention. They could be easily reversed. But that is not what I am talking about. There is a fundamental bi-polarity in these particles which is one of the most basic of all things in our universe. What you call each one doesn't change that. A very small number of things are this fundamental here... biological sex is several orders of magnitude less fundamental. It is tied to our reproductive approach, which while common, is not the only means. Many forms of life are not broken down into sexes, and reproduce by either sharing genetic material in an equal way (called conjugation in bacteria), reproducing a clone of the self, or re-arranging one's own genetic material. I think if we encountered alien species, we would see something similar. Some of them would be divided into sexes, and others of them would have singles sexes, and some of them might have 3 or more sexes with different roles (such as one to provide eggs and gestate, one to fertilize, one to care for new children, etc).

I think there is a degree of anthropomorphization going on here... we are applying the human experience to life and the universe as a whole. I think we would find some parts of it would resemble us, and other parts would bear no similarity. We are one form of many.
2  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Masculine Energy on: September 04, 2016, 08:33:00
Gosh Stillwater, I am going to try to reply to your politically leaning comments as best I can without sounding political....

Not sure I follow. I agree there is a lot of discussion of gender in a political context lately, and it is very overdone.

But I don't see what agenda there is in discussing the accepted definitions of words. It helps to define terms when two parties are using the terms differently, and that difference can cause difficulty in understanding one another properly.

In my experience there is a realm of universal undifferentiated energy that exists as potential with respect to this universe of duality where positive energy exists in relation to its opposite, negative energy. In Hindu terms we are talking about Shiva, Vishnu and Brahm.
Within the Hindu trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, Brahma is the creator, Vishnu the preserver and Shiva the destroyer. The destructive element is generally identified with the Left.
(Ya gotta pick one...)

Right?

That much is fundamental. Otherwise we don't even have a physical universe to operate in.

This world we live in definitely contains polarities. Obvious ones are the charge of "particles", and spin of particles. But when we are talking about things like male or female "energy", I guess it matters if we are talking about loose figurative terms, or literal fundamental ones. In a figurative sense, sure there are the ideas of creation and destruction, assertion and passivity, and it makes sense to associate them with the different sexes. But are we talking about fundamental structure of the universe at that point? Clearly calling creativity "feminine" is not as fundamental as calling a particle's charge negative?

I think this may be what is tripping people up here. It may not be clear whether we are talking about a figurative myth, or a base fundamental.

3  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Masculine Energy on: September 04, 2016, 07:01:23
When a human is born with male genitalia he is male.
When a human is born with female genitalia she is female.
[queue the almost totally irrelevant nitpik about hermaphrodites that occur in infinitesimally small numbers]

When they get older and get confused about what they really are it is called "Gender Identity Disorder".

We have to make a bit of distinction here.

The medical definitions of "sex" and gender" are different and distinct.

Sex refers to physiology. Male and female physiologies are unquestionably different. They are physically and chemically different.

Gender refers specifically to social roles that are associated with each biological sex.

Sex is biology, and gender is psychology/ sociology.

Sex is an unchangeable reality. Gender is a combination of evolutionary psychology, and arbitrary social rules which are unique to the society the individual finds them self in, such as roles relating to childrearing, or social interactions. I think there is value in questioning the norms related to gender, insofar as they are not common across different societies, which is proof they are partially arbitrary.

4  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Masculine Energy on: September 03, 2016, 11:48:45
Genders are distinct, no denying it. But you don't have to fit one or the other. Why force yourself to fit an arbitrary standard?

There are aspects of gender that are easier to adhere to, because they make social interaction easier. For instance, men and women wear distinct kinds of clothing, and most people use this to understand one another in social situations. But they are all constructs ultimately, and I think when you realize this, you will be less concerned with meeting a standard.

For instance, I am biologically male, and I present as male in public because it is socially simpler to do so.  But I don't really think of myself as gendered. It doesn't inform my notion of self in any way that is useful to me.
5  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Astral World on: September 03, 2016, 11:25:25
Does the astral world look like the physical one?

Does the world you see on your computer screen look like the physical world? Sometimes it does, but it has no obligation to. Sometimes you see shots of South America, sometimes you see computer-generated fractals.

Same with a projection space.

It is also worth pointing out that the word "physical" is a bit tricky... it literally means that whatever it is concerned with is a system governed by laws. In this sense, the majority of realities may well be called physical.

But I know what you mean when you talk about the physical / nonphysical distinction- you mean realities which are not continuous with this particular world's projection, or necessarily governed by the same set of laws this one is.
6  2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Welcome to 2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Re: Star Seeds and ETs ? on: August 30, 2016, 10:52:52
It does!
7  World Cultures, Traditions and Religions / Welcome to World Cultures, Traditions and Religions! / Re: What do christians think about this stuff? on: August 20, 2016, 04:40:58
There are reprehensible things to be found in the holy books of all religions. Some more than others, but if we are talking the Semitic / Abrahamic religions, you don't have to look very hard.

No one belonging to these religions could really follow all of the commandments of their own religion without being a monster. That goes without saying. So it is important to realize that every practitioner is in some manor of dissonance with them. Based on which verses they choose to follow, and which they choose to dismiss, you can actually learn about their personal values. People will take the parts of their faiths that resonate with them.

So while you can call the values of a certain group Christian, or Muslim, or Zoroasterian values, what it really comes down to is the values of their community or family being passed on to them, but being justified as those of their religious tradition.

That is part of why it doesn't help us to say "Christian values" without speaking about the geographic region in question. Are we talking about the Philippines or Alabama? I think if you consider what each group has common to it, the concept would make sense. One of these groups is more concerned with the social justice passages and the Sermon on the Mount, and one of them is more concerned with the Book of Revelations. Islam is much the same. At various times in its history, it has been both the most progressive, and the most regressive faith in the world, based solely on which of the Surahs and Hadiths were held in various readings. It can be both the religion of service, and the religion of war, depending on who is pulling verses.

It is important to realize that religion is at times an instrument of self-expression, I think.
8  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Re: I believe on: August 12, 2016, 18:00:20
I believe I can be wrong.

Of those you posted, I like this one best of all. The start of wisdom... admitting we may be wrong about what we thought, and that we know far less than we told our self we did.
9  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Re: I believe on: August 03, 2016, 04:52:09
I believe we can see ourselves in others, and work to serve their needs as we would our own.

I believe that if you listen to someone long and intently enough, you can understand how they see the world, and they will make more sense to you as a person.

I believe very few people like to be demonstrated to be wrong in public or private, but that if you provide enough information, and understand the limits of the person, you can change their mind over time.

I believe deeds carry more weight than thoughts or words.

I believe we should work to repay those who have served us, whether we were aware of it or not.

I believe we should rely on logic, evidence, experience, and compassion to show us what is true and what isn't.

I believe we should honor our ideals of virtue through art.

I believe, as Kant did, that we should ask ourselves whether the action we are about to take would be more beneficial for everyone to take, or no one to take.
10  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Nihilism on: August 02, 2016, 02:59:10
Because "nihil" means "nothing".

So "nihilsm" is lacking beliefs, or positively asserting there is nothing to believe in.

"Annihilate" comes from Latin "ad" for "to, and "nihil" for nothing; annihilate literally means to reduce to nothing.

The two words share a root, but annihilate is not the parent word for nihilism; they are instead sister words, so "nihilism" has nothing direct to do with destruction.
11  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Nihilism on: August 01, 2016, 22:27:50
Why an "Impulse to destroy"? that just sounds silly.

I feel like they are trying to make something dramatic out of something that really isn't.
12  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Nihilism on: July 31, 2016, 20:28:00
What do you think about outer space?
13  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: What are the top most damaging things for the soul? on: July 27, 2016, 03:06:21
But I think one of the most really damaging things that is pervasive and insidious beyond measure would be Lying.

Hard to really say.

I think it is worth noting that this idea isn't culturally universal. Some cultures consider lying to be a major problem, others much less so.

To me, it isn't outwardly obvious that the isolated act of telling a lie is a negative, rather than merely a neutral.

I think there are many factors that have obvious ethical weights that come into play in the context of the act of lying though.

For instance, if a person tells a lie with the intent to cause harm, that seems like a major negative (but the negative is being applied from the intent here, it seems to me).

If a person is telling a lie in order to obtain something that isn't rightfully theirs, that seems like a major negative (for the same reason as above).

But if a person is telling a lie in order to benefit others? That may possibly be a positive.

Let's say there was a poison gas with a long and unpronouncable name, who's major effects were not apparent to the senses, but would render a person dead 20 hours after exposure, and this gas had been released for an unknown reason in a certain region. Would a person stationed there, telling people who approached that they had to stay away, because there was a dangerous mother bear in the area really be doing something negative? It is much harder to explain to people that something they can't see or sense, and there is no way to prove its existence quickly, will do them lethal harm, than to use the standin of a dangerous animal they will surely easily understand. Was this the best way to keep the people safe? Hard to say. Did the people stationed there do harm? I think probably not.

This may seem like a silly technicality, but I think it gets to the heart of the matter. The thing about lying that seems to carry ethical weight is the intent behind the lie.

-----------
Pretty straightforward question?

Thinking back to Dante's Inferno, the most serious of all sins his Catholic theology could provide him with was betrayal.

Hard to say it is the worst, but betrayal is something most people universally seem to feel is an especially tragic form of terrible evil.

It consists of willfully harming others which are our family, friends, or allies (in other words, the people who we should most protect from harm, and who love and count on us).

To me, it is profound evil the enormity of which is hard to convey in words.
14  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Need your help on: July 27, 2016, 02:32:33
i will keep thinking stillwater thanks for an amazing push lets say so i would like to hear your opinion but not like which will answer my question but will be more likely a little hint because i am stuck : D

It is the kind of question you can progress on, in the sense that you know more than you did when you started, but possibly not fully settle. And that is all I can offer... a few tugs further down the rabbit hole.

Perhaps "god" is asking them self if they actually have free will, or just think they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dqNiSGo9yU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIXGxRZk3G4

These two presentations can help bring you deeper into the question if you are new to the academics of it.

There is this idea of "free won't" described in the first presentation (and touched on in the second):

Basically it goes like this:

When humans act quickly, and even with conscious intent, often the action will happen even before the awareness that there is a choice to be made even happens for the person. This is tested with a reflex experiment described in that presentation. So already, we have fairly strong evidence that our bodies are employing our limbs to do things that we didn't consciously choose for them to do.

A model of the relationship of the conscious mind to our actions is theorized by some neurologists that says our unconscious is making most of our decisions for us, and then sending its decisions to the conscious mind later, in some cases. The conscious mind is given time to "veto" the choice the rest of the brain made, and choose not to do the thing. So in effect our minds are choosing which of our actions not to do, instead of taking an actual positive initiative. This mainly applies to things which happen in the space of seconds; more involved decisions, like who to date, or when to walk to the fridge, seem like they may have larger conscious components.

So that is a good introduction to the kind of issues there are, taking the situation from a purely physical vantage.

Further along, we have to define what we actually mean by free will.

1) Does it mean that our conscious mind is making decisions based on information it receives?

2) Does it mean that we could have made other choices to the ones we made? (this has consequences on what the metaphysical structure of the universe is like)

3) Does it mean that we humans have or are some sort of immaterial being separate from what appears to be a deterministic universe? (obvious strong metaphysical consequences)

Most people seem to think that the question of free will necessitates more than 1, up to 2, but not necessarily 3; but it is important to know which question you are actually asking too.

If the universe is a self-contained materialist system (which I don't think it is), the question of free will is probably easily answered. Questions of spooky quantum events aside, since there is no obvious answer for how a materialist consciousness would actively cause a particle to take one possible quantum outcome over another (and everything that consciousness would do would have predictable material causes as well), it really seems like there is no place for it in such a world.

So let's say that we accept either monism of mind, or dualism (meaning respectively that only mind exists, or that mind and matter exist separately). We are basically in the dark. If we are describing a physical system, we can explain why things happen, using macro physics, chemistry, and micro physics. If we are talking about an immaterial being, there are no cogs turning we can see! We can't point at atoms to explain things. Does the immaterial being have any kind of structure? If it does, what describes the relationship its parts have between one another? If there are laws governing these parts, then we have a physics of the immaterial! Which is an absurdity... since a non-physical thing by its very definition doesn't have physics.

If, true to form, the immaterial beings have no parts which operate on one another according to laws... then it is truly anyone's guess, since there is almost no way to study it or understand its workings!
15  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Need your help on: July 24, 2016, 18:53:55
How about this...

Do you have free will?

How do you know you really do, rather than just it feeling like you do?

If you have free will, does that mean that before you made a choice, any of the options could have happened?

If any of the things could have happened, what caused you to choose one or the other?

If you were caused by something to make the choice, wasn't it that thing which determined the outcome, not you?

If you were not caused by something to make the choice, doesn't that mean it happened for no reason?

16  World Cultures, Traditions and Religions / Welcome to World Cultures, Traditions and Religions! / Re: A Rosicrucian Lecture on: June 29, 2016, 20:39:10
Wow, the audio panning on that video is terrible. I would have converted that to mono so it isn't like he is whispering the lecture into your left ear.

Will have to give it a listen though! Thanks for posting!
17  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Missing my "nonphysical activities" :( on: June 17, 2016, 11:49:13
Projecting isn't that important.  At least, it's not as important as actually living your life here the best you can.

Thirded.

Which is funny, granted where we are, here on the Pulse!  cheesy

I think a lot of people tend to associate things like projection with "spiritual ability" or advancement or status, and that can confuse matters. Which isn't to say it doesn't have its own value, but it is one part of our very rich lives here in this world! All things in balance.
18  Psychic and Paranormal / Welcome to Psychic and Paranormal! / Re: Shadow creature tries to pull the leg of a woman on: June 12, 2016, 02:56:14
Hmm...

I tend to think it was a coincidental shadow cast by something else happening in the city, because it is the answer that requires the least amount of unknowns in order to be true.

But interesting to view the scene in the light of a supernatural event nonetheless.
19  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: I was in a cult on: June 09, 2016, 04:16:45
I guess it wasn't obvious that I am not going to say what cult it is... it wasn't obvious? If I name them they will come for me & this site.

It makes sense to leave details out if you think your safety is threatened by their inclusion.

But I can guarantee they are not coming for this site  cheesy

On the offchance they did, there is nothing of note they could achieve other than a pile of inane posts for a few days.

No one is going to take down the Pulse by firing psychic hellfire missiles, of that I am sure. Maybe the Astral Dynamics forum... but not here.

If you did join a group and they all seem to worship the "master" you are most definitely in a cult. For example, one day the master says you should only wear black clothing and later you decide to wear something purple...then all the members keep coming up to you saying, "the master says not to wear that, what is your problem? Why aren't you listening to what the master said? You must not be a true soul". Or maybe you tried this meditation technique and wanted to share how well it works...but did the master teach you that? If the master didn't teach you then it is a false teaching! Blasphemy! Everything the master says becomes a new rule like a commandment.

Sounds about par for the course.

Let me know if you heard it before, I have to use my own words instead of the lingo. So first of all, everyday you want to really study the details of your surroundings. Try to memorize every single detail of your room, the placement, the texture, the colors... Close your eyes and see it exactly in your mind as it is in reality. Open your eyes & see if you got every single little detail right. The smallest details, it is all in the details. Now close your eyes and imagine touching everything & feeling the texture. Imagine what the texture is like as if you were reaching out & touching it. When you can reach out and touch something with your mind & feel it, then you got it. At night before you go to sleep, spend sometime studying the details of your room, then close your eyes and imagine touching those things with your mind, feel the texture & density. When I do these things I start to have more lucid dreams, I can remember the details, it feels more real, I start to wake up inside the dream every morning.

That is a common technique for visualization. A fair number of people have had success with that technique here.
20  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: I was in a cult on: June 05, 2016, 16:35:08
If you are truly concerned that others learn from your mistakes, you'll quit with vagueness and spill.

Yep.

Each of the questions asked of you would be best answered in about a paragraph if your goal is to help others avoid the same mistakes.

----------------------------

Steve Hassan is a mental health specialist who was heavily involved with a certain cult (the famous Moonies), and later in life worked toward studying the social dynamics of these situations, and how to best help concerned family extract their loved ones (victims) from the mental control of their keepers.

Joe Rogan interviewed Hassan August of last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQrsGjT0Sn4

His ideas might be interesting to you, or possibly useful for reflecting on what happened with you!
21  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: I was in a cult on: June 04, 2016, 08:39:13
They made promises of something I wanted.

Which was what?

In cases like these, it helps to provide developed answers. One of the best ways to protect others from such exploitation in the future is to be thorough in your explanations of what happened to you, and the reasons you can see for it all (when it is safe to do so).
22  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: I was in a cult on: June 03, 2016, 09:45:25
Fill us in  wink

How did it start for you?

What about you personally made you vulnerable to being exploited this way?

How was the moment when you "snapped out of it"? Was it difficult /dangerous for you to be up front with the group members when you needed to leave?

How did your departure play out?
23  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Spiritual alchemy on: May 16, 2016, 16:23:07
Congratulations   cool
24  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Pulse Island! / Re: New possible project similar to Astral Pulse Island but more like Earth on: May 14, 2016, 03:37:07
I would say it would be good to invoke Campbell's game analogy again-

Within a game world, there is an internally consistent set of physics that governs events there. The physics of the game world are not universal laws that govern all of reality, they are a set of rules which this particular bit of reality mostly obeys.

The physics thing might work along the same lines. There exist a set of rules that seem to govern the interactions of matter and energy here, which makes this a physical world (it has physics). No one would suppose the laws which govern this place govern all of reality, any more than they would the game. The laws of a game world are arbitrary. So too might the physical laws of this place be. It may be accurate to think of this place as a kind of simulation which results from using arbitrary laws.
25  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Pulse Island! / Re: New possible project similar to Astral Pulse Island but more like Earth on: May 13, 2016, 08:25:15
Of course astral obeys the laws of physics, such as quantum. Its part of the universe.

The word "physics" and "physical" have the same root. Only physical things can have physics by definition.

So either:

a) if a projection environment is governed by a system of physics, it is therefore physical

b)if a projection environment is non-physical, it doesn't have physics

I don't think it is obvious at all that a projection environment would have physics, much less the same quantum physics as here- in fact I would think assuming this would be counterintuitive.

Maybe what you mean to say, is a projection environment is probably governed by some manner of laws (not necessarily physical laws)? That seems likely to be true.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 84