The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

Please note that due to the amount of spam posts we have been receiving over the past few months, we have switched Registration to require you to be approved by a moderator.  We will go through the approval list as often as we can, but if it's been 24 hours and you haven't been Approved yet or you've received a rejection email, please email myself or one of the moderators immediately so we may correct the application.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 28, 2015, 12:25:03

Login with username, password and session length

Show Posts
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 80
1  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: How many of you can say this is REAL? on: August 20, 2015, 04:30:01
But 'scientists' like Dawkins, Tyson (although they have their deserved credits in their field) etc. mislead people when they pretend to be qualified to talk metaphysics. They don't. They have no clue. They are just 'gurus' of the other kind, feeding into their sheep with the dull materialist belief system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0-jKmcNr_8

Sometimes they behave as true scientists, and aren't afraid to do the Socratic thing and admit there are great mysteries out there they haven't answered. For instance, in this panel, Richard Dawkins and Bill Nye both openly admit that the nature of consciousness is baffling. Tyson suggests that consciousness is some sort of persistent illusion, and Bill Nye immediately points out how ridiculous that suggestion is lol.
2  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: How many of you can say this is REAL? on: August 19, 2015, 02:57:24
You may have heard the phrase, "A collection of anecdotes does not a statistic make".

A large group of people can be very wrong, deceived, lying, etc, and so having more reports shouldn't be more convincing to a person who appreciates the empiricism of a speaker like Tyson.

I do appreciate the spirit of this topic though, so wouldn't mind sharing my own meager offerings a bit latter when I have more time.
3  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: What is the heart of your ethics? on: July 28, 2015, 05:18:58
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law. Love under will.

That was Alistair Crowley's phrasing of an old Pagan dictum.

I sort of like how the later Wiccans chose to phrase it...

"And it harm none, do what you will."
4  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Pluto Mystery on: July 26, 2015, 11:07:21
Yeah... my home country's finest hour... getting humans off the earth and setting foot on another celestial body, with a digital watch computer for guidance.

I hope they don't do something so stupid that anything but that is what we are remembered by when this era of history has faded.
5  Magic / Welcome to Magic! / Re: Magick Room on: July 24, 2015, 16:19:09
Agreed. But your feelings about the objects themselves will affect your mental state, so it is good to be surrounded by things you have positive feelings about. My musical instruments have names and they definitely enhance the room, hehe.
6  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Pluto Mystery on: July 24, 2015, 11:20:45

Absolutely brilliant images, no? I want to see images of at least one planet outside of our solar system to that resolution this century. It is doable.

There were some great anomalies sighted on that flyby. Richard Hoagland reads a lot of bizzare conspiracies into the whole thing, but while I love his attitudes, he does take things too far for me most times.

One interesting feature was all of the hexagon-shaped structures. Hexagons do appear in nature, even very large ones, and sometimes certain kinds of impacts do form hexagonal craters. One very noteable hexagon in our solar system that is incredibly large, and somehow almost unknown, is the north pole of Saturn. Almost boggles the mind that a structure that large could be anything but circular... but there it is somehow!

7  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: What is the heart of your ethics? on: July 24, 2015, 03:35:48
I think you don't need a lot of different rules if you have central concepts which inform the others. The core of the Buddhist and Upanishadic systems has always made sense to me, and is incredibly simple- don't cause harm if you can avoid it. It is also a good rule of thumb to treat others the best way you can allow in any given situation.

Pretty basic, and nothing groundbreaking, but then I don't think you will see much innovation in this topic, and I think that is a good thing- if it was very difficult to see what was ethical, we would be in a much worse situation than we are now.

Another good standard is Immanuel Kant's Universal ethical principle: for any given action, would it be better for everyone to take this action, or for no one to take this action? If no one should take this action, then the action is best avoided in the majority of cases. If everyone should take the action, then it is probably a case where someone is ethically negligent not to do it.

Then a level more complex than that, is the modern system of "normative ethics". That system posits, like Kant, that there are some ethical constraints that should generally not be broken unless it can't be avoided without doing greater harm, and there may even be constraints which should never be broken at all. An example of one of the first kind, a conditional constraint, might be something like stealing. Probably wrong to do in most cases, but acceptable if greater harm is avoided as a result. Examples of absolute constraints are much harder to come by, because a person can think of creatively absurd situations under which any rule ought to be broken, but a candidate might be something like a person ought not to murder their children.

Normative ethics is about weighing these constraints against one another, to see which should trump the others in various situations, and is sort of a tricky game. An example of a mental game that illustrates this type of thinking is the "trolley problem", which is a set of situations that pits the constraints in a contest, such as, "If a trolley carrying 12 orphans was about to crash into a stalled bus full of 8 Nuns on the tracks, but you could hit a switch, and the trolley full of orphans were to instead hit a car full of 6 neurosurgeons, what action would you take, and why?

Sounds silly, but it is the sort of thing you need to do to write the principles that guides mechanical systems such as medical ethics boards, because those systems need hard and complex rules, and they are difficult to devise, because they are in some sense arbitrary.
8  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Astral Projection: The dangers. on: July 15, 2015, 09:42:55
There are dangers, but not the ones you might be thinking of. They are mainly psychological. For those who are not in a mentally healthy frame of mind, these practices don't seem to do them any favors; such folks will often seek out these practices, thinking of them as treatments for whatever situations they have in their life. This is probably a very bad direction for them.

So if you want to know if the practice is potentially harmful for you, I suppose you must ask yourself if you are coming to it in a healthy frame of mind, for the "right" reasons.

The gentleman in the video is working for what he perceives to be the benefit of all, and I applaud him for that intent. That said, I think he is working under the burden of several forms of doctrine and dogma. Negative entities may possibly exist, however every indication I have seen is that every instance anyone ever reports is actually connected to their own psyche. Now if you are in a slightly troubled state of mind to begin with, having the experience of one of these encounters is not going to be beneficial to you. If you are well off, you will likely have the perspective to say that these beings are representative of various fears you may be illustrating to yourself.

You need to set aside fears of such encounters, because they will hold you back.
9  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Question on: July 12, 2015, 02:14:46
For any supplier to put ethics above profit, it is a positive thing.

Maybe what I was saying with my response is that I think that while it is worthwhile to focus on the choices of consumers, it is likely not the best immediate solution for the larger problem.

For instance, apply it to the situation of the drought in california; extreme restrictions are being placed on residential water usage. Is this helpful? To an extent, yes. But then... residential use accounts for less than 15% of total use. People there feel as though a huge amount of attention is being paid to the problem as a result of residential restrictions, but the lion's share is used by the commercial farms. The real way to conserve water is not to focus on the homeowners, but rather to meticulously study what is happening all along the farming processes, and what systems and crops account for significantly higher usages.

Now why do I bring up something as left-field as Kant's Universal ethical principle? Because a similar issue exists in product consumption. Because most consumers in the world do not have choice over which products to buy for economic reasons, the majority of the chance to make a difference in consumption resides with suppliers currently. Thus your product can only be beneficial if the majority of consumers in the market you are serving have the realistic choice to opt for it, even over cheaper alternatives.

10  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Question on: July 11, 2015, 06:20:17
As mentioned by others, for 4/5 humans on this planet, the only decision to be made is completely economic. They simply do not have the resources to care about what happens on the supply chain, since if they don't opt for the cheapest options at all times, they will bring suffering on their families.

In this situation, the consumer is not a moral agent (meaning they don't have a realistic choice between two alternatives- they could choose to starve, but I don't consider that a realistic alternative to choose for other humans).

The moral agent in this situation is the supplier. They can opt for what is ethical, or they can opt for what is cheapest. It is worth noting then that the only moral agents with any choice in a situation of scarcity are the suppliers.

Kant came up with an ethical theory based on universal applications, and it is pretty simple: For every "x", would I desire that every human does "x"?  For instance, if I want to know if theft is ethical, I have to ask myself if it is preferrable for all humans to steal, or if it is preferrable for no humans to steal.

The universal is what is relavent here. Since I cannot ask the majority of humans to starve, I must solve the ethical questions of supply some other way, and to me that means they must be solved by the supplier, rather than consumer. So the real question, is how do I compel the supplier to behave ethically, knowing that it is cheaper for them to cut corners, and I just determined it is most ethical to expect the majority of humans to opt for the cheapest products?

Either I must convert the have-nots into ethical agents by ensuring they have enough resources to be able to address questions other than need, or there must be a system in place which encourages the supplier to act ethically regardless of cost to them. The second is a much taller order, so I think it is a pretty good argument to press for universal standards of living instead/
11  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Projection Experiences! / Re: Qestion ???? on: June 19, 2015, 05:40:55
I have heard it explained by a few speakers that it is much easier to influence an unlikely event to occur (like winning the lottery) when it is something only you care about.

If it is possible to affect the outcome of a lottery by will, then wouldn't everyone's will be competing with yours?

Made sense enough to me. Not saying this is what I believe, but sounds pretty plausible.

I am sure the same applies to remote viewing the winning numbers. Such an event would grant you a serious advantage, which would conflict with the strong wills of others to have the positive outcome. Maybe it is an indirect effect like that which makes such things difficult to view in advance.
12  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Astrology in the Astral? on: May 26, 2015, 13:59:14
Having an astrological chart for a human is dependent on being born. It is a feature of the physical world. Why would a non-physical being be subject to physical parameters like that?

Put a different way though, it sounds like what you are really asking is if souls are subject to fate (which is what astrology really represents)?
13  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Am I the One "haunting"? on: May 24, 2015, 21:18:39
Sounds like a coincidence to me, as people try to do such things and pretty much fail everytime. Gathering data though from the world does appear to be possible, but changing it has yet to be verified well.

Doesn't make it impossible though.
14  Astral Chat / Welcome to Members Introductions! / Re: Hello from California! on: May 21, 2015, 13:28:34
I like California (but it's not cheap, especially the water now). Yeah, the weather is excellent. However, after cutting back on our water use, the front yard has already started dying, and I have collected nearly 2,000 gallons of rain water this season for our garden (e.g., so we can keep it). Currently, there are some trade offs. And there are some things that we are finally catching up with Canada on, like healthcare for everyone.

The water situation in California definitely is pretty dire. Those reservoirs are tapped out. It will be interesting to see the course things take in the next 5 years over there. I am sure you know that farming accounts for 85% of that water use, so regulations on the residents of California can barely have an effect at all. What really needs to be done, is that certain luxury crops, like pistachios and almonds need to be severely cutback. Tree-nut crops consume a much greater percentage of the water than most produce, and need to be reduced in the interest of saving the staple produce farmers.

I am also aware that the government is aware what kind of civil unrest significantly higher water rationing and expenses will have on that region.

Hopefully they can get that huge de-sal plant (and honestly, 40 like it) up and running!

And I am glad you are finding the Pulse useful so far! It can be a great resource, if you leverage it well!

I'll steal 8mins from your time to say hi to everyone too, I had not read about that. LOL
Good to be here.

Greetings from Venezuela.

Venezuela is an interesting place too... I knew a Venezuelan dude who was deaf... strangest / most awesome accent ever. I hope Maduro is working out better for you all than Chavez (I know, not very hard, but I am still a bit worried). I have heard too many bad Chavez stories. Here's to hoping that all stays in the past!
15  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: How did you get here? on: May 20, 2015, 08:46:56
Pretty much a perfect concert. I like the attached interview a lot, where David Byrne interviews himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE-mxVxFXLg

----------------

"I don't think you have a very good voice, but you're a singer... how do you do that?"

"The better the singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they are saying"

----------------

I find this to be true of life in general for me. The prettier the package, the more profoundly I doubt what is inside it.
16  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: How did you get here? on: May 19, 2015, 11:05:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU
17  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Re: ascension: leaving early on: May 18, 2015, 14:32:30
No, that doesn't clarify much, but I think we speak very different languages.

What I am getting at above though...is that you make some fairly uncommon assertions in your opener, and then ask others to expand on the ideas, but that requires being on the same page to begin with.

See if I can give an analogy...

Suppose I said:

"Ok, so I have figured out that the souls of animals stay in purgatory, but can't get out. I think it probably has something to do with their auras. Given that, what do all of you think about the second coming?"

See, in order for the others to have an opinion about the second coming with respect to animals stuck in purgatory... they have to be on the same page about animals in purgatory to begin with, follow? I think that is the challenge here. There are too many ideas at once, and it is too difficult to unwind them all.

Maybe ask a simpler question, and we might have a hope of addressing it  wink
18  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Re: ascension: leaving early on: May 18, 2015, 07:07:18
What reasons do you have for holding these opinions?

There are a lot of assertions here... it is hard to really address any of the questions without unpacking what all else of what you are describing is about.
19  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Tips to The Teachers/Helpers of Astralpulse: on: May 14, 2015, 03:24:46
As said, I'm a student too, we all are here to learn and share. There is no guru and no dogma. If it was, this would be not the right place any longer.

That is my major credit to this site. Almost all of the forums similar to the Pulse are centered around a charismatic teaching personality as the guru. I think the lack of that condition here makes the place a fair deal more objective, and a much better place for debate.
20  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Tips to The Teachers/Helpers of Astralpulse: on: May 13, 2015, 04:54:50
I think it is a language thing again here then.

Here is an example to explain the difference in our thinking here:

Suppose a coin was flipped by an unbiased person in another room; 2 people who couldn't see the outcome each decide they feel one outcome or the other is more likely, and they choose opposite outcomes.

In your view of things, neither is right, because they had no basis for knowing which was in reality more likely.

In my view, one of them is right, but not justified in their assertion because they lack proof.

I define "right" based on truth / falsity. You are defining it by what in philosophy is usually termed "knowledge"- AKA, the person knows what is true, and has an adequate and sufficient means to know it is true. "Knowledge" is usually held to be a harder standard to meet than "truth".

I think that is where we are diverging- we didn't agree over what the definition of "right" is.
21  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Tips to The Teachers/Helpers of Astralpulse: on: May 12, 2015, 05:40:11
I am not sure I agree no one is right... that is just a little too new-agey to me.

Apply that thinking to science... someone argues the earth revolves around the sun, someone else argues that the sun is a little ball that rotates around the earth, another person argues that the the sun and the earth are marbles being shaken up in a jar. One of those people is closer to being right than the others.

It is very easy to spot a bad argument. It might be defined by logical fallacies, or invented evidence, or false premises, or any number of things. We can with certainty say it is a bad argument when it has broken the accepted rules of reason.

For instance, say someone argues that because all squares are rectangles, all rectangles are also squares. It is very easy to see that this is an improper use of logic, because one-way relationships don't automatically become conditionals in the opposite direction.

For this reason I think it is more than reasonable to point out when a person has made an argument from insufficient proof or false logical structures. Most possible arguments are bad arguments.

It is much harder to know that an argument is true than that it is in error.

I don't know that my conclusions are true, but it is very easy to know when yours or theirs or hers are false. That is simply a consequence of the rules of logic. It is one of the greatest substantial gifts the history of philosophy has given the world.
22  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: John Titor and multiple timeline theory on: May 08, 2015, 04:14:46
I've said recently that the simple fact that you can use math to model *ANYTHING* in this reality is proof that this reality is virtual.
If you know the math, you can model everything.

Hard to know... maybe this is true, maybe it isn't.

There might be some intangibles in our experience here that don't fit into mathematical modeling... the best candidates for these being "first person experiences", like  "I feel too hot", or "I am elated". Now of course I know there are physically modelable processes surrounding these feelings, like temperature, and dopamine levels, etc, but I think your understanding is nuanced enough in this area to know what I mean when I say those are merely the periphoral "functionalist" explanations, that don't address the experential component. The mathematical model can tell us when a human might feel uncomfortably warm, but they don't have a prayer at explaining why the experience that human mind has is like it is.

I agree with you that this reality seems like a construct built from within another reality... but our minds are also part of this reality too, and they possess all of these slippery unquantified qualities...
23  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Anyone have experience with the work of Graham Nicholls? on: May 05, 2015, 03:03:51
60 Dollars for some sound files feels a bit too much like snake oil quackery. Those margins feel just way too high for someone out to benefit humanity, especially for a digital download. Media that is that expensive commercially usually took tens of millions of dollars to produce.

It also worries me that the term "infra-liminal" only really comes up in a search paired with sites he is mentioned on.

I don't have any negative things to say about him, as I don't have any acquaintance with he or his ideas personally.

If you choose to investigate his material, it would indeed be good to post a review, as it is always helpful for others to know whom to avoid, and who may be helpful.
24  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: John Titor and multiple timeline theory on: May 03, 2015, 19:00:04
I think Campbells presentation and the theories he likes are sound.

That is hard to know. The most literal meaning of "Sound" would mean the theories he likes are true.

"Sound"  literally means that the formal logic argument structure is accepted, and the premises are known to be true. This means the conclusions are forced to be true (the theory must be true to be sound).

But yeah, I know what you mean here. When he tries an idea on, it is generally more than half-baked, and he provides reasons.
25  Metaphysics / Welcome to Metaphysics! / Re: Channeling M.U.H.A.M.M.A.D on: April 29, 2015, 17:42:24
I remember this thread from way back when... it seems like everyone who was around in 2003 is coming back to say hi, hehe.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 80