The Astral Pulse
News: Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

Please note that due to the amount of spam posts we have been receiving over the past few months, we have switched Registration to require you to be approved by a moderator.  We will go through the approval list as often as we can, but if it's been 24 hours and you haven't been Approved yet or you've received a rejection email, please email myself or one of the moderators immediately so we may correct the application.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. November 30, 2015, 17:23:28

Login with username, password and session length

Show Posts
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 82
1076  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Osama Bin Laden's Primary Focus No Longer F1! on: May 13, 2011, 19:01:24
Yes, there are all sorts of exhortations to violence in the OLD TESTAMENT. But they are nothing compared to the commands of another holy book which REQUIRES all the faithful to wage Jihad for the expressed purpose of subjugating the entire world under their rule. There is no Christian Command to conquer the world.

Did you read the third I listed carefully, lol?

In order to carry out that command from God, and be spared his wrath, the Christians and Jews of the world should and must slaughter pretty much everyone on earth, since there are people of different religions in pretty much any city or town you look now.

I am not making excuses for terrorists- you suggest more motives I have never pursued. I am simply furthering my counterargument against the claim someone made earlier that Islam is the only religion whose holy book calls for mass jihad; there are unequivocal calls to jihad in the Bible, and Christians have acted on them too.
1077  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Osama Bin Laden's Primary Focus No Longer F1! on: May 13, 2011, 10:03:30
Easy, its in the Muslim religion to kill nonbelievers. Even though not all Christians follow their religion, they preach love and tolerance.

Lexy's Link does give some great examples:

Cursed be he who does the Lords work remissly, cursed he who holds back his sword from blood.  (Jeremiah 48:10 NAB)

If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord."  When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through.  (Zechariah 13:3 NAB)

Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods.  In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully.  If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock.  Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it.  Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God.  That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt.  Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction.  Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you.  He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors.  "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him."  (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him.  Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you.  You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery.  And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst.  (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

These are the closest thing to the inciting of Jihad you will ever see, and they are in the Bible.

My personal favorite:

A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death.  (Leviticus 20:27 NAB)

That means anyone here claiming to be a medium should be slaughtered by any Christian that encounters them, or they bring doom upon themsleves as well.

1078  Metaphysics / Welcome to Quantum Physics! / Re: Artificial Parapsychology - How To Build A Psychic Amplifier on: May 13, 2011, 06:09:41
This is a novel concept, and I am sure as you stated very few people with the technical background necessary to engineer something like this response grid of minds intended to facilitate psychic events would also have the motivation to do so, having also recongnized parapsychological realities as well.

I think it remains, however, that from the density of the language you are using here, and the number of ideas you are throwing into one post, it is somewhat obscure to most people who might read this what your motivation for posting this is, and what you want to accomplish through sharing it.

I also think, as Atralblogger mentioned, you might do well to have an abstract to this post, briefly and concisely listing in simplified terms what your primary goal is here, how you will accomplish it, and how people here can help with that.

You answer all of these over the course of your post, but you ask your reader to go on a technical journey to get these answere, haha.
1079  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Osama Bin Laden's Primary Focus No Longer F1! on: May 12, 2011, 06:19:47
Quote from: Pharoah on May 09, 2011, 15:15:08
There is a pawn shop near my house with a sign outside in the parking lot that reads "How are those 72 virgins working out for you, Bin Laden?"

Its funny but also kinda stupid.  It only takes one muslim nutcase who's having a bad day and decides to blow the place up

You make it sound like every Muslim gets a copy of the "Jihadist's Guide to Improvised Explosives" when they sign up at their mosque. I have my own feelings about organized religions, but that does not mean the entire group of people are homicidal psychopaths. We have our share of Christian terrorists here in the U.S., and no feels uncomfortable about having an abortion clinic, or putting up atheist billboards.

Granted, I will say one group is more excitable than the other, and more easily provoked, but universal discrimination of an entire demographic is another form of fanatacism as well.
1080  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Google is preparing to purchase the moon on: May 12, 2011, 05:04:39
Well, they are now taking the preliminary steps, at least.

This may be old news to some, but Google has been sponsoring a competition to visit the moon.

Yes, you read that bold and underlined part correctly. They are offering 30 million dollars in prizes to the first private teams which build a rocket and send a roboticly-manned vehicle to the moon and travel for 500 meters or more, while sending high-def footage; additional prizes given to a team that travels for 5 kilometers or more.

Registrations closed late last year, with 29 qualified entrants.

This is one of the first moves, I believe, toward privatization of space and spacetravel, which will be an important step in the future energy economy of earth, with vast potential being discussed in space-based solar harvesting fields.

I hope they also visit the darkside, as we all know the fables about what is over there  wink
1081  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Rome Earthquake Prophecy on: May 12, 2011, 00:45:58
But considering the area, it qualifies as a good prediction, IMO.
 I couldn't find a good map, but it looks like Lorca, Spain, is 800miles away from Rome, a little to the South, across the water.  They are pretty damn close, if you ask me.

This is a good "maybe".

It is certainly a good argument for evaluating the model of earthquake causes relating to celestial bodies he suggested.

It is worth noting though that it was nowhere near the magnitude he suggested, and that many 5.0's and higher occur every day, so this one is not that strange.  All of the records for today so far:

Date     11th May 2011 
  Time     Description of Location           Magnitude    Depth (km)     
   More Details      16:51   Banda Sea   4.2   132.40
   More Details      16:47   Spain   5.1   1.00
   More Details      15:59   Tonga region   5.0   39.20
   More Details      15:33   Eastern New Guinea region, Papua New Guinea   4.9   49.00
   More Details      15:21   Eastern New Guinea region, Papua New Guinea   5.0   47.70
   More Details      15:05   Spain   4.5   0.00
   More Details      14:17   Off the east coast of Honshu, Japan   4.8   35.00
   More Details      10:39   Loyalty Islands, New Caledonia   5.0   37.20
   More Details      10:32   Loyalty Islands, New Caledonia   5.1   44.90
   More Details      09:43   Loyalty Islands, New Caledonia   4.9   44.00
   More Details      09:21   Loyalty Islands, New Caledonia   5.1   38.70
   More Details      09:16   Loyalty Islands, New Caledonia   5.2   37.90
   More Details      08:19   Loyalty Islands, New Caledonia   5.7   45.60
   More Details      07:54   Halmahera, Indonesia   5.1   99.20
   More Details      06:46   Loyalty Islands, New Caledonia   4.9   42.00
   More Details      06:11   East of the North Island of New Zealand   5.3   42.60
    More Details      05:47   Solomon Islands   4.8   90.40
   More Details      04:37   North Island of New Zealand   4.8   81.60
   More Details      03:13   Vanuatu   4.9   9.90
   More Details      02:30   Potosi, Bolivia   4.5   116.00
   More Details      01:28   Mindanao, Philippines   5.0   104.80
   More Details      01:20   Off the east coast of Honshu, Japan   5.6   25.10
   More Details      01:07   Samoa Islands region   4.7   44.80
   More Details      00:48   Fiji region   4.9   360.90
   More Details  
1082  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Rome Earthquake Prophecy on: May 12, 2011, 00:38:31
No, it was the Time soldiers that came through the Looking Glass that HAARP was firing at, duh. The Zeta's would have stopped them, but they were held up by the Reptilians, and had to deal with the Annunaki anyhow, who would have stopped the hybrid project. Ya gotta' stay on top of things, cross reference Wilcok with Icke, and use the Pleidian channelings to tell you when Icke has been decieved by the Reptilians; it is really quite systematic.
1083  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Rome Earthquake Prophecy on: May 11, 2011, 21:05:49
I am an architectural historian, and I am glad I was able to go study Rome for a year before we lost it wink

But really, the article itself admits that even if he had the debated knowledge that might have allowed him to predict earthquake dates, he was often very wrong about the epicenter, and so even if there were to be a quake, it might be in the Abruzzo again, or something.

Since there is also disagreement about whether he even wrote it at all, with the experts not finding a trace of such a prediction, I would not put too much stock in this one. Plus, I want to go to San' Ivo and Piazza del' Poppolo again sometime.
1084  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Take it easy guys. on: May 09, 2011, 00:48:49
Pftt Led Zeppelin, thieves.

Yeah, they were some of the biggest "borrowers", and also one of the biggest sources for other "borrowings". I guess they were playing with some memorable tunes. Many good things you can hear will have turned up in some form in the past, and will resurface in the future too.

Another thing like that I can think of is Pink Floyd's "Echos" supposedly Inspiring a theme to The Phantom of the Opera, which is hilarious if it is true.
1085  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Take it easy guys. on: May 09, 2011, 00:40:39
You might like this guy Stillwater,

it's a little more funk/soul, but i like most of what you listed, so maybe you'll get down on this too. 

I liked the sound as well, lots of retro instrumentation. Reminds me a bit of Blue States, another newish band that uses a lot of vintage synth:

And the Fleet Foxes just released their best album to date. Here was one of the better tracks:

King Crimson, heh. Pandora introduced me to that group when it saw my first picks. I was strangely attracted to them too.

YES. Jethro Tull is solid Brit-rock.

Perhaps our first unequivocal agreement in this topic, Rudolph  wink

My favorite track from King Crimson is probably "Exiles", off of Lark's Tongue in Aspic:

This track tells an excellent story, and the violin solos are sublime.

Their pre-80's stuff is almost all good too. During the 80's their sound got very cacophonus, and busy-sounding, but they still made an occasional good bit evey now and then.

Glad the topic changed, lol. I love music to fanatic levels.
1086  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: so first rule of AP. you dont talk about ap hahah on: May 08, 2011, 22:17:26
Yeah, "curing" is also something that does not come up much in a discussion of schizophrenia. True schizophrenics generally have their condition for their entire lives; there are some cases where the symptoms level off over time, and in rare instances clear up completely, but most are generally not "cured".  The cases where symptoms do seem to disappear, it is not well understood why. I know for the longest time it is was just straight tranqulizers like thorazine for many schizophrenics, and they say that lowers symptom rates... but then it lowers thinking and all neural activity period... so I am not so sure that is treatment as much as it is a way to tune them down so the staff does not need to use as much force to compell them.
1087  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Take it easy guys. on: May 08, 2011, 22:07:34
I don't really like hard rock either; I don't think it comes down to "being a pussy" so much as liking things a little smoother. There are some rare bands like Led Zeppelin and Metallica which actually write very strong compositions that sound really cool even outside of a rock setting (Metallica's music has been transposed to two concert harps by a couple women calling the project "Harptallica", haha). When it comes to contemporary, I like Folksy stuff, like the Fleet foxes or Beirut, but I normally go for a sound that is based in the mid 70's otherwise (Elton Jon, early Springsteen, King Crimson, Steely Dan, Neil Young, The Doors, etc).
1088  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Evil defeated (was: Universe of Pure Unconditional Love) on: May 08, 2011, 15:15:07
The last post read like a love poem  wink
1089  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: so first rule of AP. you dont talk about ap hahah on: May 08, 2011, 04:33:09
That doesn't mean the Feds aren't doing all sorts of things wayyy outside their job description. Personally I think the FDA needs to be shut down and the job can be turned over to some sort of Underwriter's Laboratory type outfit. Get twice the performance for half the price.

This sounds like a plan. Anything would be better than the FDA we have now; their idea of testing is giving the drugs to a goldfish, and approving anything that does not kill it in 20 seconds or less. As long as there is a way of monitoring the quality control federally, without relying on federal beuracracy to actually do the job itself, I would be all for that.
1090  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Take it easy guys. on: May 08, 2011, 04:19:49
Yes, it defintly can be argued that the Iraq war began on just footing; Saddam was not a nice guy. But it did not need to continue for a decade, I don't see anything constructive arising out of anything past the first months.
1091  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Take it easy guys. on: May 08, 2011, 02:08:05

But "necessary" may be the wrong word for evaluating the act of war because I think the data required to arrive at that conclusion is usually not available.

That is certainly true. We don't have the "God's eye" perspective of the situation that develops decades later at the time it would be critical to make a decision. World War ll, which is the classical example most cite for the "just war", was not known to be the same situation in the 30's when it was building as we later found it to be. We had general notions that Hitler wanted to promote a powerful campaign of eugenics, but it is debatable how much of the holocaust was know about before it was encountered first hand; most of the officers invading the German camps had heard intimations of what might have been happening, but were not expecting the enormity of what they actually encountered. When the full picture is known, we see that Hitler intended to exterminate all of Africa as well, and then precede on to Asia South America; it was doubtful whether they would have even spared the Japanese.

Maybe you could give an example of a 'necessary' war and explain how you arrived at that conclusion.

The criteria I would use would be an ethical evaluation. What are the costs of the war we are considering, in human terms? What does our current data tell us will likely happen should we not become involved? What action would our potential opponents be allowed to take? How many non-offending parties (our soldiers, as opposed to those instigating the particular conflict, if it was pre-emptive, and civilian bystanders and targetd victims) will come to harm as a result of going to war, vs staying out of it? Will the potential opponent be placed in a position to cause significant harm in the future if left to their own means?

These factors must be weighed from an ethical standard for me, and we must choose the path that will cause the least harm, and potential for future harm to parties which did not instigate violence. Sometimes that means war, sometimes that means staying out. In the example of the Middle-Eastern wars, the harm inflicted upon civilians is far in excess of any projected harm those we claim to pursue have shown themselves capable of, and it is debateable whether our prescence there has even deterred them anyhow. You can make the argument that we might not have forseen that prior to taking action, but having the facts we have now, we have far from hastened our withdrawal.

If pressed to think of a war that best meets the standards that would ethicly dictate when we should be involved, I would choose the Sudan genocides. Here is an example of a mass killing of 400,000 or more of an ethnic group by un-resisted agressors, and we have provided the most passive and impotent assistence imaginable.
1092  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: so first rule of AP. you dont talk about ap hahah on: May 08, 2011, 00:21:04
There is nothing to stop anyone from starting The New Age Mumbo-Jumbo Clinic for Personality Disorder Research.

Mainly funding. Those who gather enough personal capitol to do the research themselves, like Monroe and Charles Tart struggle and struggle with keeping their enterprise afloat, and even when they produce seemingly repeatable results, it is still difficult to get legitimate attention, since what they are suggesting is occurring is so far off of what the community as a whole is willing to accept. Case in point- project PEAR at Princeton was apparently producing very rigorous statistics over literally millions of trials that seemed to imply that human conscious choice could remotely affect random events in the physical world to a very slight but statisticly significant and consistent degree. Now if this is true, there should have been a dozen follow-up studies in parallel at other universities and labs, but there were none- only attempts to write off the findings. There is a very real barrier that keeps alternative views from being entertained if they are far enough outside of the accepted pail.

Reagan?! How is a guy who hasn't been president for over 20 years somehow relevant to a discussion about contemporary treatment options? What did Clinton do to rectify the action? Nothing. And it isn't even a back burner issue for the present president. Why not complain about them?

Oh yes, every president since is just as guilty for not reversing the budget cuts. I merely mention Reagan since it happened under his watch and guidance, and that changes that occur under one president are rarely changed immediately, since it takes so much effort to get Congress to change their position again. None of the Democrats really liked the concept of Homeland Security, yet with Obama now in office, there is very little talk of repealling it; political changes are long and laborious, unfortunately.

beyond that, in practice, the only mental health treatments that get supported are the ones that make money.  do you really think that the reason psychology and psychiatry prescribe more medications than ever before is because the meds really work!?  bullcrap.  it''s like that because that's where the money is.

Yes, I am going to have to go with Personal reality again. The pharmaceutical turst is a powerful lobbying gorup, and has made a billion-dollar industry out of railroading drugs through a now-toothless FDA. Cognitve approaches may be just as effective or even significantly more effective, but you can't prudce good cognitiveists in a factory like you can the doctor in a bottle.
1093  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Take it easy guys. on: May 07, 2011, 23:10:04
But I didn't want to put words in your mouth so I asked you directly, out of courtesy, twice -- and you still won't give a direct answer.

Then I apologize. I did not mean to be indirect- I try to address serious questions as I see them.

Why do you say "I am advocating not getting involved in unecessary wars"? No one is advocating for such insanity. Why advocate against something no one has said?

This point hinges on whether or not you view the Middle-eastern wars as necessary. Your statement is that no one is arguing for such insanity (meaning arguing for fighting in a war that is not necessary). Obviously no one is going to advocate a war that they themselves consider unecessary, but what a person themselves believes and what may be true in an absolute sense, or in the views of others, are very different things. Consider the situation if I hold the view that the Middle-eastern wars were not necessary, and you hold that they are. Then in this situation, from my perspective you would indeed be advocating for a war I deemed unnecessary. Since most people believe in the opinion they support publically, then what is required is merely a difference in opinion and perspective for this to be a true statement (that from one perspective you are arguing for a war that is unnecessary). I did not mention the perspective part, since perspective is inherent in any situation in our reality, but if you don't notice this fact about perspective, it is possible to mis-interpret the statement, I suppose.

There you go again. I never said anything about any pacifists out to get me.

It was a joke. You have mentioned pacifisim and your distaste for it perhaps a dozen times at this point. I was making a joke about the fact that no one has yet come out and identified themselves as a pacifist, but that you still mention it countless times. It was not intended as a serious remark.

There you go again. I did not say that these wars were not as bad as Vietnam or any other recent conflict and I presented no such argument to justify them.

I think the common thread in all of the points you made this post was in not recognizing context and implication in statements. You never mentioned the Vietnam conflict per se, but notice you did say this:

Every 170th soldier dies? That's like half a percent. I think relative to past wars that is almost zero.

Now when you make a comparative statement like this, saying that the percentage of deaths is almost zero, it only makes sense in context of comparison. For instance, if I said every 170th person on earth dies every minute, it would not make sense to retort that this was almost zero, since at that rate, everyone on earth is dead in under 3 hours or so. So to say that 1 in 170 is near zero in the case of war casualties, there must be another conflict you are comparing it to as a baseline, and if not Vietname per se, some other similar large-causualty conflict is implied. So while you did not mention a certain conflict, the structure of your argument necessarily made it implicit.
1094  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: so first rule of AP. you dont talk about ap hahah on: May 07, 2011, 18:46:59
Well, the almost insurmountable obstacle you would face trying that is the prevailing scientific paradigm. The scientific community today believes almost unanomously in materialism (all of reality is explained by physical matter), and materialism does not leave any room at all for considering that everything out of the ordinary a schizophrenic experiences is not a hallucination- it is pretty much assumed at the outset. So you will never get funding for such an endeavor, since the bodies who could support such research would view it as exploitation of the mentally ill to further half-baked new age mumbo-jumbo that has no basis in reality. Getting a university to pay for research like that is like trying to convince a Southern Baptist that maybe he should donate some of his salary toward promoting Hinduism; there is just too much ideological friction for it to work.
1095  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: so first rule of AP. you dont talk about ap hahah on: May 07, 2011, 17:42:53
This is a simulation of what it's like in the mind of a schizophrenic:

You're dead.

This seems pretty accurate for a paranoid schizophrenic. The severity and frequency of the hallucinations varies with the individual, and some may not have auditory experiences, but only visual ones. It really is very debilititating though, especially when a person is driven to question they're very reality.

You're dead.

I could see devices like that being useful in situations such as helping to train jury members for trials involving specific kinds of insanity defenses; juries today are quite reluctant to accept insanity, and we have prisons full of schizophrenics on one side of the institutional bars, and thousands and thousands on the streets now too, thanks to Reagan's cuts to mental health programs.

You're dead.
1096  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Take it easy guys. on: May 07, 2011, 17:26:55
Quote from: personalreality on Today at 03:20:03
I don't even know how we ended up talking global politics!  lol.
I know...

*Points the finger at Stillwater*

Yeah... probably is my fault. cry

Pacifism is tantamount to suicide.

This is the third or fourth time you have decried pacifism; I have not seen anyone else mention pacisfism or advocate it yet. I am advocating not getting involved in unecessary wars, that does not at all equate to pacisfism, but rather a rejection of a jingoist outlout; you are speaking so adamently about propaganda, and one form of propaganda is to distort the statements and opinions of others into much more extreme versions of what they purport.

I do not believe the 'civilian casualty' numbers repeated by pacifists.

These are reported by the U.S. government. I don't know who these shadow pacifists are who are curiously enough out to get you. The most liberal studies by groups like the New York Times put the numbers into the millions of civilian casualties; going by the official government numbers (which are the most conservative of all the reports) still brings us to 200,000 or so between the two wars.

Every 170th soldier dies? That's like half a percent. I think relative to past wars that is almost zero. Ipso facto, the Congress providing the soldier with the best training and equipment pays off in lower casualty rates. Nothing capricious about that.

Saying that these wars were not as bad as Vietnam or any other recent conflict is not an argument sufficient to justify them. An analogy would be to say that I would not mind getting AIDS since it is not nearly as bad as the Ebola virus. And these are only the U.S. losses we are talking about in this particualr statement. The civilian numbers are horrendous by the most conservative of any reports. Potentially 1 out of every 30 Iraqi civilians has been injured or killed.
1097  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Take it easy guys. on: May 07, 2011, 08:41:38
If going to war means people will get hurt,

Yes... yes it does wink. Is there really a question, with hundreds of thousands of heavily armed men shooting at one another constantly, that someone will be hurt?

(assuming your bs propaganda is true)

Where does propaganda enter into this? Every 170th soldier that has ever served in the Iraqi and Afghan wars has been killed there(1.3 million have served, 7600 have died); the number of very serious injuries is approxiamately 3 times this number, and around every 40th soldier has been shot. The number of reported civilain deaths between the wars is somewhere between 200,000 to over a million, depending on which reporting body you ask. These stats are presented to us by the U.S. government. These are very cold facts. Propaganda implies incendiary statements with clear intended bias to persuade; presenting the very figures the government has given us can hardly be considered propagand against the government.

60 year old men are usually physically incapable of doing the tasks required of soldiers in battle. Seriously, get a grip here. Many of the men in Congress are retired military. They KNOW what they are asking the troops to do.

It was a joke, keeping in mind the discussion it was contextual to. But that does still does not mean that 60-year-old men should be so capricious with the lives of so many soldiers and civilians, regardless of who they are.
1098  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Take it easy guys. on: May 07, 2011, 00:39:24
When terrorists flew airplanes into building and killed thousands of innocent people ... we should have shot every tenth representative after funding the war on terror?

Every 40th soldier or so on the ground was shot (and hundreds of thousands of civilians were killed and injured), why not shoot some of the guys who sent them? They can dish it out, but they can't take it? Some members of congress are a bit too distanced from the realities they help bring to fruition when they make their decisions.
1099  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Take it easy guys. on: May 06, 2011, 22:15:52
I think that is part of the issue too though, politics is not a binary issue, despite what our 2-party system has drilled into people in the U.S., and politicians don't have clear-cut party lines voting records. If they do, they are yes-people who worship the soveigrnity of their controling groups.

Obama, for instance, is far from a party-lines sort of person. His ideas in many areas are really quite conservative, when it comes to military action and corporate law and iterests. At best, he is a middle of the road moderate; he is one of the most plain vanilla politicians out there today. So if you branded yourself a hardcore liberal, that means there still would not have been a candidate that represented your views in the 2008 election. And when you don't have someone who represents your views, you look around at others; you find the other major party's candidate has very little in common with your ideas, and you are placed on the fence about voting for either the generic person your favored party has put up, or throwing away your vote making a statement voting for an unknown party that will get .3% of the vote.

Yes- most of the political ads are aimed at simpletons who have no rational basis for voting for one person or another, and will vote for the person who's ads show them the shiniest lies at the critical moment; but that absolutely does mean once you figure out your core beliefs, you should step out of an evalulative mind-set, and align your votes to the group that best approximates those beliefs. I think a better solution would be to break away from our party-identity system, and have literally 10 or more candidates who have radically different views; that system would have its own issues too, since it would sometimes have potential for giving power to the largest minority of radicals, but it would have many advantages as well.
1100  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Strange Emissions by the Sun are Mutating Matter on: May 06, 2011, 19:29:08
That is a damn big stretch. Our sun is not nearly large enough to be the sort of star that collapses into a black hole... some pretty jazzy physics magic would need to go down for that to be possible. Not saying it could never happen, but it sounds wayyyy out there. If a series of events happened in our solar system such that the sun were rendered capable of becoming a black hole, it is pretty much a certainty that the changes would have killed us far in advance of being rocketed into the a black hole; our existence here on earth is dependent upon the finest of circumstances being balanced just right more or less continuously. There are tons of things like the physical constants that would kill us off if they deviated even .0001%. We are like the cosmos' most fickle and difficult-to-care-for aquarium. And if we are already dead before the earth is sucked into the black hole, why would that even be necessary for a "4th dimension" transfer?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 82