The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

Please note that due to the amount of spam posts we have been receiving over the past few months, we have switched Registration to require you to be approved by a moderator.  We will go through the approval list as often as we can, but if it's been 24 hours and you haven't been Approved yet or you've received a rejection email, please email myself or one of the moderators immediately so we may correct the application.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. July 29, 2014, 13:40:15

Login with username, password and session length

Show Posts
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 72
1076  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Awakening As One on: October 25, 2010, 07:39:33
That is an interesting idea, but I think a big obstacle is that there are many different viewpoints working in this site, and very few things accepts universally here. I think we are more a nexus of discussion then we are a single mind with respect to most ideas. There is a sort of "canon", which I would say contains ideas about 80% or so of us will agree with unquestioningly, however, and even certain ideas which are universally accepted.

The canonic ideas which most seem to agree with here:

-Projecitions reflect some sort of reality, be it mental or metaphysical not fully affirmed yet in the scientific community.
-Materialism is not likely to be the whole truth
-You can't get hurt in an OBE
-Anyone can OBE
-Evil has no cosmic place, only circumstantial manifestations (no great deceiver, etc)
-Robert Monroe is a swell guy
-Thought = action in OBE
-Bush was an agent of cosmic evil
-Things are not fully what they seem in our reality

I think this is a good start to the sorts of things you will find the widest agreement with here, but of course there will be scores that hold contention with each.
1077  Metaphysics / Welcome to Metaphysics! / Re: Electronic Voice Phenomenon (EVP) on: October 25, 2010, 07:12:52
Most of that stuff sounds like people snoring loudly into a microphone, and then they tell you it's a ghost saying "Comere!", or "Hi now!", or something totally random, like, "What are you!"

You can understand that I think most of that is people playing up nonsense to seem like something it surely isn't.

That is not to say there isn't a whole other category of EVP's that I have heard, where they have whole conversations about the other side. At least this second type, there is no doubt at all about the clarity, and you can focus on figuring out whether or not it is a hoax based on its own merits.

I believe it was some group calling it Instrumental transcommunication or something like that (ITC) that brought out all the better ones of the second type. The recordings have a late 19th century spiritualist ring to them, talking about seances, ectoplasm, and the "summerland", so this places doubt in my mind about them too, but who knows, it is certainly interesting. It was years and years ago I listened to them, but I can find some for you!
1078  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: I'm officially renaming the RTZ to DMZ on: October 24, 2010, 05:33:28
Haha.... anyone remember "ki beginner's nightmare"?  He used to say stuff like that all the time... and ask about how to shoot electrical bolts from his fingertips  grin

It was years and years ago... maybe stookie remembers!
1079  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: New York UFOs October 13th on: October 23, 2010, 03:47:04
Sylvia Browne predicted that Aliens would make contact in 2010... there's still time.

I would not hold my breath with Sylvia, lol... she has the track record of a magic eight ball  cheesy cheesy cheesy
1080  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: CERN scientists eye parallel universe breakthrough on: October 22, 2010, 01:03:08
ohhh... I misunderstood where the subjunctive qualification was intended to be made, lol. All good  wink

Like I said, just how I suspect things may work, that is all.
1081  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: CERN scientists eye parallel universe breakthrough on: October 21, 2010, 19:17:29
Well... I would imagine the relationship between the non-physical and the physical world might be much less like a balloon (physical) immersed under the ocean (non-physical), where you can rupture a boundary, and cause one to touch the other, and more like a compture (non-physical) running a program of pure data (physical). 

The program might be about a world of itself, with three linear dimensions, and the computer also exists in a three-dimensional world, but nowhere do these two spaces ever overlap. People in the program cannot go wandering, and someday find the computer, it doesn't work like that.

The physical might be thought of as a simulation the computer is running, while it simaltaneously runs other programs, which stay completely separate, and might one day be ended while it runs other programs. But that is just my thought.
1082  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Merkel: Multicultural society has utterly failed on: October 20, 2010, 02:18:32
Despite the fact that these topics are getting out of hand, I do agree that there is a real underlying issue here. I did my undergraduate thesis on ways of integrating heterogenous Islamic pockets of society with the urban fabric in U.S. cities. I met with several Imams in my city discussing the issue, with the intent of determing what social obstacles Islamic practice presented to this end. What I found again and again was dissatisfaction with the fundamental ways American society was arranged. This is not to say that American society is necessarily great as it is formed now, far from it, but rather that it is sharply rejected and opposed by the thought of men like these.

For instance, based on the Koran, the idea of collecting interest is a sin, since it allows the rich to profit from the debts of the poor. As a result, Muslims use radically different banking systems, where no interest is charged on loans, and loans are substantially harder to get. The Koran also urges it's commands to be brought to the highest heads of society- the ideal Islamic state should thus be a theocracy. Each of these imams assured me that it is the work of Satan to establish any other form of government.

So you can see that although these men were living in the U.S., they have great distaste for the way U.S. society is arranged. Muslims which hold closest to the Koran therefore feel an imperative urge to see that the principles which they believe in, and which their holy book tells them society should be based on come to consumation around them. The problems other societies which are seeing large influx of Muslims into their population thus face is that this group has a latent urge to transform any society they inhabit to reflect their theological principles.

This is not to say that this has never happened before in history. The U.S. has in recent years converted a large portion of the world into its own economic ideologies, and the remainder have been rendered mercantile states of cheap labor. But this was largely a mechanical sort of takeover, with no guiding principles other than profit motives. The expanding Islamic population of the world is being fueled by religious fervor, and this is one of the strongest forces we have met in human history. The issue may not be so much multi-cultural integration, so much as a gradual transformation of massive parts of Europe, until the pressure being exerted is counteracted by some other force, be it hate, war, government, or cultural revolution.
1083  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Merkel: Multicultural society has utterly failed on: October 19, 2010, 13:08:49
You made a nearly identical topic a year ago:

"The Multiculture experiment has failed"

http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_news_and_media/the_multiculture_experiment_has_failed-t30405.0.htmlThat one was about muslim immigration in Sweden.

That one was about muslim immigration in Sweden.

This one is basically about muslim immigration in Germany.

You clearly have a commited interest in this area, lol.

On a side note, even being a speaker of German, hearing her angrily speak German at a podium making exagerated hand gesticulations forces a mental reference on me, lol, however trite that is.
1084  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: New York UFOs October 13th on: October 19, 2010, 01:48:36
Since there are many videos of the sighting in New york, and several of them show the skyline, it should be very easy to calculate a lot about the objects. It would be helpful if the location of the cameras was known, but even that is not needed, since the locations can be estimated based on the configuration of the buildings in view. With the location of the viewers known, the angle of the objects can be deduced relative to the buildings in sight. When two or more camera locations and angles are found, you should be able to determine the approximate location of the objects. Once the location is known, you can determine approximately how the large the objects are, based on their images to the various viewers. I could probably do it in a few hours using scaled images from google earth and some advanced trig  wink

If someone were to determine a ballpark size for these things, it would narrow the list of possible options for what they might be dramatically.
1085  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: New York UFOs October 13th on: October 18, 2010, 23:57:51
They're saying that they're just balloons...
That'd be my first guess.

The individual orbs themselves look balloon-like, but the pattern in which they fly is an extremely rigid trinangle; if they were balloons, this would mean that they were held in this shape by some sort of rigid frame. It is definitely possible that they are balloons, but I don't know why they would be held in a frame like that if so.
1086  2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Welcome to 2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Re: Nothing is going to happen 2012 on: October 18, 2010, 23:40:37
i would say that at this rate we're more likely to be borg.

But the borg want to be perfect- they have a pretty good drive for self-improvement. Humanity would make lazy, status-quo borg, who end up making pears because spheres are too hard.
1087  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: I'm officially renaming the RTZ to DMZ on: October 18, 2010, 12:08:20
Who are we fighting?

Lol- you mean who are we staring down, blaring propaganda toward, and launching fireworks at  wink

... to which the most rational answer is ourselves. So I guess we are the denizens of the DMZ, kind'a like the RTZ.
1088  Metaphysics / Welcome to Quantum Physics! / Re: Time Travel on: October 17, 2010, 19:33:41
i have been reading this thread and i was wandering whether anyone has used the akashic records to see what is says about physical time travel. because surely there must be some information in there about how physical time travel can be achieved.

People who mention the Akashic records generally say that they are availible on a "permission" basis. I am not saying this is true, but it is one possible explanation for why this information has not been accessed, should the Akashic be exactly as people say it is. Or maybe it has been accessed, and you are not aware, since the person who did had a mind to keep it hush-hush?

surely a small time gate or portal could be built now probably only few centimeters big.

Lol... what do you base this supposition on, with such a determinate consideration of what sizes an object which is not even accepted to be possible should be manufactured at?

And welcome to the forums  wink
1089  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Area 51 and other assumed mysterious areas and our own manifestations on: October 16, 2010, 23:42:53
Firstly am not asking whats at area 51 or anyother crazy place . I am just saying suppose that area 51 is only a weapons testing ground and we all believe that its some mysterious place.

Well, area 51 probably is a weapons design and testing ground. That doesn't mean there isn't anything interesting about it. The U.S. black budget is massive; years ago it was 30 billion per year, and I can only assume it is well byond that now. Further assuming that money produces some sort of result, there are certain to be marvels of some sort or another in places like this, Dreamland, Los Alamos, etc.

And Do you really think the U.S. gov. will allow unapproved satellite images of their bases to be online? Nothing they don't want people to see will be visible.

But I think what you are asking is whether or not ideas people have about a place will create a mental world in the astral which it is possible for you or I to visit without ourselves creating it. I would be very tentative about answering a question like that. It first assumes that astral experiences occur in an objective, shared space, since otherwise you could not access the ideas of others in the astral, and that the real-time zone has a direct correspondence to the waking world, not one which is generated by personal intent.

I would say that I suspect that much (if not more than that) of what we experience in OBE is generated by personal expectations or memories. I think the first thing you would find in an area 51-type place is what you expect to be there. To see more than that would bring with it the assumption that this shared mental world which everyone can affect is accessible to us in real time zone experiences- that is the hinge concept I think.
1090  2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Welcome to 2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Re: Nothing is going to happen 2012 on: October 16, 2010, 11:16:20
...You dont actually know that, for all you know humanity will just reincarnate on a crappier world with less efficient bodies, or a warlike culture who knows...

Picard fears that humanity will reincarnate as the Klingon empire.
1091  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Iso-Tones on: October 16, 2010, 00:52:13
from what i've read, iso-tones are supposedly the "new evolution" of brainwave entrainment technology.

Lol... they cut out the nonsense gimmick factor, repackage the same, and it's a "new evolution"  rolleyes
1092  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Iso-Tones on: October 15, 2010, 11:01:11
These seem about as effective as binaurals for me; this is funny in a way, since the producers of binaurals generally claim the way binaurals are presented allows them to do things which a single monophonic tone would not.

The way it is normally explained is that binaurals are necessary since we do not normally register tones with frequencies as low as those which our brain normally operates at (2-40 hz), and so two tones are necessary, where the brain works out the difference in frequencies, and pays special attention to this oscillation between them as the focused frequency.

I am not saying that binaurals have no advantage, but it is strange to me how these "iso-tones" are able to produce similar effects with the above in mind.
1093  2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Welcome to 2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Re: 2012 Checklist on: October 14, 2010, 06:55:12
Everyone forgot to bring a hot naked chick beside them! lol

Lol... "beside them" as in alongside, or as in another besides themself, should they happen to be a hot naked chick?
1094  Healing / Welcome to Healing discussions! / Re: kundalini on: October 13, 2010, 08:29:17
But the range of Kundalini symptoms encompassed all my ‘MS’ symptoms and others that MS never explained

Go into more depth about why think that.

A lot of people lately have been attributing troubles in their life to Kundalini; it is unclear how to make a strict "diagnosis", since the symptoms people associate with kundalini vary so much, but there are a few symptoms which people consider hallmarks. Perhaps what you are calling spiritual experiences are emotional movements related to the events going on you described in your life, brought on as a reaction to a great perceived change in your life. Very few people who have brought this idea up lately seem to match very closely with the "classical" idea of what kundalini is, and so it was unclear why they felt it was responsible for their experiences. I would urge you to consider exactly why you are considering kundalini sickness as the root of your troubles, and not just settle on the idea capriciously.

And welcome to the forums!  wink
1095  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Awakening As One on: October 11, 2010, 05:00:48
Hmm... thanks for posting these, but the way in which these were written and composed bothers me.

I watched parts of the first 2, and it struck me as needlessly theatric and grandiose, while at the same time carrying a continually dictorial tone and message. There is this incessant percussive beat that moves the monologue further, on a relentless path, but ironically there is no voyage or development on this path- there is only Abrahamic religion-like proclamation, with no attempt to explain the why's or wherefores. The format this ultimately causes the film to take is propaganda speech, and regardless of whether or not the content is true, I would be wary of media like this, since its intent is clearly belief induction.

I think parts of the content may be true, but are best addressed in a dialectic documentary presentation, wherethe viewer is given multiple views and can appraise their own conclusions.

Please don't be disenheartend by this reply- it is more a criticim of composition technique than content. I am sure you must have felt similarly, no?

(On a side note, I also found it humorous that as the narrator spoke the lines, "Earth's ancient cultures, these keepers of wisdom...", they showed background footage of a man pulling a vehicle with hooks through his nipples.)
1096  Energy Body and The Chakras / Welcome to Energy Body and The Chakras / Re: kundalini and horniness on: October 07, 2010, 03:29:58
I am glad someone else had trouble sorting this post out, and I am not the only one who had difficulty following....
1097  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Open forum debate by several major philosophers on nature of consciousness on: October 07, 2010, 03:27:22
Very interesting- I enjoyed it very much.
A sidenote:  Most anthropologists I met when in school had a similar viewpoint to (Dr?) Schlitz- I think most field anthropologists are exposed to a lot of 'weird' reality in general, and this makes them more openminded.
Just an observation from my limited experience.

I was thinking the same. I mean, as an antropologist, you must end up studying tons of indigenous and aboriginal type civilizations, and they all have their own shamanistic and mind-altering rituals as the backbone of their belief system; it is not out of the question to take things from the perspective of those societies you are studying, or even participate at times.
1098  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Open forum debate by several major philosophers on nature of consciousness on: October 06, 2010, 19:36:42
I remember that I knew a mathematics major... he went on a retreat one summer where he literally spent 7 weeks working with 10 or so other students and professors trying to find a solution to a single kind of linear algebra problem about what sets of matrices are closed with respect to a certain kind of functional operation.

It is amazing that so many people can collaboratively devote so much effort to a single small idea, and even more amazing to me that they work so long at it; it must have been the sort of problem you can make progress towards and get gradually "closer" to a solution, otherwise they would have been doing the same thing for 7 weeks straight.... shocked

These people clearly thought something was to be gained through intellectual collaboration.
1099  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Open forum debate by several major philosophers on nature of consciousness on: October 06, 2010, 03:21:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB_RtFV-l-A

This is an interesting debate/exploration taking place between several major representatives of theories of consciousness. I found it quite relevant to this site, since it outlines many of the discussions taking place on the astralpulse, and the viewpoints they corespond with. It was exciting to me, since it deals with the area of mind-body philosophy I specialized in, but I think it should be meaningful to most others here too, since it gives a basic overview of what the major issues being thought about in area are today..

The speakers:

Robert Kuhn- The mediator. I think he has a balanced approach, while not letting any of the panelists get away with unsubstantiated nonsense.

Barry Beyerstein- Was not familiar with this one. "Straight arrow" reductive materialist... doesn't really have much to say, and doesn't really engage the ideas being thrown around by the others.     

John Searle- Big name mind-body philosopher; we read his books in school. He is an important figure, since his views are well-defined and thus easy to engage, and he makes up the majority opinion. I think that although he claims distance from reductive materialism, since he accepts that consciousness is a first-person, non-material phenomenon, he is best thought of as a reductive materialist by another name, since he still feels that neuroscience will reveal how matter can cause awareness. I tend to disagree with his main views, since he entirely ignores (and pig-headedly in my opinion) an idea called the Hard Problem of consciousness, which in a nutshell is the idea that it remains to be seen how a material substance like the brain can be causally responsible for the existence of our non-material first-person awareness; there is no logical explanation materialists have given so far as to how this should be possible, and until this is addressed, materialism must be an incomplete picture (most of us here would say incomplete because it does not address the full nature of reality).             

David Chalmers- Another big name mind-body philosopher. The philosophical creator of the "Hard problem of consciousness
mentioned above, and other ideas regarding the specturm of awareness, and it's scientific consequences. I tend to like Chalmer's ideas alot, since while he acknowledges anecdotal and research evidence suggesting properties of consciousness not possible under materialism, he attempts to refute reductive materialism at the most fundamental level, trying to show that, as his hard problem states, no causal link has been demonstrated between material states and first-person experiences, merely correlations between brain states and experiences. Chalmers feels this trend in knowledge of consciousness only as a correlation will continue, and he believes that in order to avoid this problem, your worldview must on some level incorportate conscioussness as a primary feature of reality, be it a fundamental feautre of matter (panpsychism), or as a fundamental substance of the universe (dualism or immaterialist monism). This is necessary since he believes he has demonstrated that it cannot directly be reduced to material states, and I tend to agree.

Marilyn Schlitz  - She is an anthropologist, and probably the one on the panel who best approximates most visitors of this site. She integrates the anecdotal evidence of altered and new states of conscioussness, and reasons about what the consequences for accepting this data as factual must be for the scientific community. She get's into a little discussion with Searle about this, and in conjunction with the mediator, flatly shows him somewhat thick in my opinion, as well as exposing the fundamental lack of will of most modern materialists to engage all relevant data today.   

Alan Wolf - Theoretical physicist. His ideas about metaphysics are somewhat airy-fairy, since he does not go about giving explanations for what he thinks, but I think he still have important things to say about the possible construction of the universe.
1100  Metaphysics / Welcome to Metaphysics! / Re: Uncle Chuckie's E-Books Are Now Free on: October 04, 2010, 16:56:54
lot of it is building goofy looking helmets that plug into cardboard boxes with tin foil wrapped around them and pieces of paper with like visual illusion things taped to it.

lol... um... pass on this one  undecided

I prefer to read Cousin Trevor. He goes off on these arcane tangents about things you can do with a boxing glove, sand-paper, and enough open land, but once you get past that, you can learn a lot about becoming a qi warrior and countering secret attacks by government qi soldiers.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 72