The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

Please note that due to the amount of spam posts we have been receiving over the past few months, we have switched Registration to require you to be approved by a moderator.  We will go through the approval list as often as we can, but if it's been 24 hours and you haven't been Approved yet or you've received a rejection email, please email myself or one of the moderators immediately so we may correct the application.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. January 25, 2015, 08:47:16

Login with username, password and session length

Show Posts
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 77
1076  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: answer to rangestormer dillima on: March 17, 2011, 06:50:35
There are not more people doing this because it is hard. Why don't you learn Mandarin as a non-native? Why don't you develop concert pianist skills? Why don't you become an accomplished landscape or portrait artist? There are lots of cool things that few people can take up because there is tremendous effort and time commitment involved.

And in all of those previous pursuits, there is unquestioned consensus that they represent real and possible skills. Projection, however, requires that you have a mindset and have read information that has convinced you that it is possible, otherwise you would not have considered it. So the set of people who are both willing to put in the effort, and who believe it to be a tangible possibility are few.
1077  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Destruction of souls on: March 16, 2011, 01:38:19
Hypothetically yes...if you consider the theory that everything is consciousness.

Yes, I thought that is what you might have intended there, but was unsure.

More likely than not, astral projection is equivalent to lucid dreaming, just entered in different ways and therefore people are the ones who make up categories. The rules may seem different in each of them but who's to say that we are not experiencing two different kinds of dreams or that the very belief that we astral project is what changes the rules. Try to think outside the box instead of following what everyone else says.

It is not a matter of following groups or thinking as an individual. We are entertaining arguments here, and I have provided different examples of how many people approach these problems. I have never presented my own views in this matter, since they are not relevant. It may well be that these several events are the same type of phenomenon, but it has not been proven, and hence you cannot make the leap that what goes for one goes for the others. We are discussing a matter of absolutes, and you should see that no amount of proof is suficient to prove almost any absolute.

It is one thing for you to think to yourself that it is unlikely that you will be harmed in OBE situations; it is quite another to tell others that it is not possible they should ever come to harm- likely no one is qualified to make such a claim.
1078  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Destruction of souls on: March 16, 2011, 01:25:17
Thomas Campbell believes it is possible for the non-physical part of ourselves to be destroyed... or wiped clean.

This is precisely one of the matters I was considering when I presented Socrates' argument- the wiped clean bit. Perhaps that part of us which exists might be an indestructable whole, which has no parts, and cannot be altered. But people seem to think that a "soul" can change, and one of the ways a soul could change would be to take on memories; but in the same hand, taking on a memory would be a change, and a change would require that the soul should have parts. So hypothetically, it may be that while the "essence" of existence is an inalterable thing, and cannot be changed or destroyed, the memories which a soul may take on may be annihilated, or separated from it at least.

Just a thought, but worth considereing I think.
1079  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Destruction of souls on: March 15, 2011, 23:43:49
Erm... I wasn't talking about how old souls can be. I was talking about OOBEs being harmless...they are harmless!

I wasn't precisely talking about how old a "soul" may be either; I was speaking about the danger of inductive reasoning, going from a few experiences to make a broad conclusion about all possible instances of such an experience. The reason the infinite age of a soul or mind is important, is that it emphasizes the fact that you are taking data from a very small sample size of the soul's purported life, and reason out of it a very broad conclusion, namely that an OBE could never lead a soul or mind to any sort of harm ever.

When I said "a load of poppycock" to the "souls can be destroyed" statement I meant just that. Primarily because there is no evidence that such a thing even exists.

Granted- but the arguments here don't rely on "souls" existing as purported; the very same arguments hold if you consider mind to be a product of body.

Either consciousness is a product of the brain or vice versa.

Is the vice versa that brains are a product of consciousness?
Of all the nightmares that you've had in your life...have you ever been harmed by any of them?

It has not been fully established that nightmares and OBE are identical events, and that the rules which govern the one should govern the other in entirety.

It's not a matter of seeing myself as invincible, it is a matter of fact that nothing can harm you on a metaphysical level period

lol- the "you" in my previous post was not the second person singular- you personally- but rather the the hypothetical you, for which the words "a person" can be substitued; if I was referring to you personally though, knowing you were invincible and knowing nothing could harm you would be nearly the same thing, in effect- I do not see how in one breath that you could say you felt that nothing could harm you, but that you also did not consider yourself invincible.
1080  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Destruction of souls on: March 15, 2011, 21:42:27
You are far from a vantage point of being able to claim it as fact.

We are discussing something- "souls"-  purported to be eternal; Having data from a handful of individuals who could have practiced 70 years tops does not prove anything; clearly you realize that when the age of a soul goes to infinity, 70 years goes to 0.0000000000% of that time. Such it would be with any trial over any time period. When you are discussing the ifinite, no set of finite data, no matter how large, is ever sufficient to predict all future behavior and possibilities- it would be a grave error.

You also describe people's bodies and their minds as though they are in different places during OBE, suggesting that this will protect the body- this has not been established; a large number of people feel the body and mind don't part during OBE, it is just a change of focus.

I am not saying it is likely that you can or will come to harm through OBE, but I think it would be ignorarnt to say it is impossible. All sorts of things might happen that are beyond anyone's expectation or understanding. Who is to say what hypothetical malicious beings may or may not be capable of? I think OBE is pretty safe, when you compare it to earth-activities, but that does not mean you should fancy yourself invincible, and do all manner of foolhardy things for the sake of doing them. I think you should respect the astral environment, its inhabitants, and any potential unknown dangers like you would any terrestrial environment.

It just comes down to the fact that absolute ideas are generally dangerous.
1081  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Destruction of souls on: March 14, 2011, 21:02:10
@ the statement that OOBEs are safe:

True. Nothing can harm you.

But this is only a belief, no? How could you know this?
1082  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Meltdowns occuring over three cores at Fukushima plant on: March 14, 2011, 06:21:07
Could be talking about the Shinmoedake Volcano in the south.

This is a highly active volcano that momentarily stopped activity 2 weeks prior to the quake, and resumed a couple days after.

In that particular case, I think they felt that lack of eruptions were actually a more significant sign.
1083  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Destruction of souls on: March 14, 2011, 01:16:47
What are the phoenix journals, and how did they determine this?
1084  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Global Earthquake Situation on: March 13, 2011, 09:28:17
The situation is looking worse everyday.

Today, we have the multi-reactor meltdown situation, and there are now estimates going around that in one region alone, 10,000 may have perished, for the lack of communication they have.
1085  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: How can I bypass any remaining, yet undetectable doubt? on: March 13, 2011, 09:01:09
Ah, I see.

Well, to that, I would tell you that you don't need to forget your doubt, as your doubt will not hold you back. Instead, you must rather strongly believe in the possibility.

What if someone told you that they could walk through brick walls, and then demonstrated this to you?

When you went to try yourself following them, of course you would have doubt that you were going to smush your nose up against an unmoving surface. But if you were going to do it at all, you would also need to believe it was possible, or else you wouldn't try at all. You probably wouldn't slam into the wall merely because a small part of you expected you might, but you would definitely not try at all if you did not believe it was at least possible.
1086  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Destruction of souls on: March 13, 2011, 08:52:12
You would do well not to accept answers to questions no one can end for certain, haha; can you really say anyone can answer something like this, and never need to be questioned?

I don't profess to know either, but much has been said on the matter that is interesting to consider.

Socrates and Plato had much to say, and here is one of their better arguments, from the Phaedo:

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/p/plato/p71pho/phaedo.html

"Must we not, said Socrates, ask ourselves what that is which, as we imagine, is liable to be scattered, and about which we fear? and what again is that about which we have no fear? And then we may proceed further to enquire whether that which suffers dispersion is or is not of the nature of soul — our hopes and fears as to our own souls will turn upon the answers to these questions.

Very true, he said.

Now the compound or composite may be supposed to be naturally capable, as of being compounded, so also of being dissolved; but that which is uncompounded, and that only, must be, if anything is, indissoluble.

Yes; I should imagine so, said Cebes.

And the uncompounded may be assumed to be the same and unchanging, whereas the compound is always changing and never the same.
"

Basically Socrates is saying that in one sense there are two types of things- things that have parts or are composite, and things which have no parts at all, and are whole, and inalterable. Things which have parts can always be destroyed, since that would happen if the parts were separated, like the separation of our body's molecules, for instance. Things which have no parts cannot be destroyed or altered, since no change can be made to their composition at all.

So the question that leads us to is, is a "soul" a single uniform whole with no parts, or is it a composite of several parts? The answer you provide to that should tell you whether souls are destructible or not.
1087  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: How can I bypass any remaining, yet undetectable doubt? on: March 13, 2011, 08:24:36
Hmm... perhaps I missed something in your post.

What is it that you are doubting, and how do you feel this is holding you back?
1088  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Meltdowns occuring over three cores at Fukushima plant on: March 13, 2011, 05:01:02

The situation has intensified at the Fukushima Nuclear plant in Northeast Japan, one of two major facilities who's stability is in question at the moment following the 8.9 earthquake, and the subsequent explosion there Saturday the 12th.

There are now 2 cores at the facility believed to have undergone partial meltdowns, and a third which shows signs of following suit. The situation as it stands is as serious as the Three-Mile Island incident in Pennsylvania, and has the potential to become as serious as the Chernobyl accident if a full meltdown occurs.

Sea water and boric acid is being pumped into the cores in an attempt at cooling and radioactive absorption, and Iodine radioactive inocluations are being handed out.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42044156/ns/world_news-asia-pacific/?GT1=43001

1089  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Global Earthquake Situation on: March 12, 2011, 21:38:55
It only makes sense that there would be quakes all over before and after an event like Japan.

Tectonic events don't happen in isolation- it is all about push and pull, reactions and counter-reactions. Somethine like that would have warning signs well before-hand leading up to it, and ripples in other places well afterward. That was a cataclysmic-scale earthquake- something like that does not happen without an entourage secondary quakes and events around it.
1090  Bug Reports and Questions / Forums Bugs Reports and Questions / Re: Are profile pics not allowed? on: March 12, 2011, 04:16:19
I think there is a very small window of pic sizes available to use, and they need to be on the tiny side (80x80, or some such size), but I don't remember exactly how small- it could be that size, or somewhat larger. Take your pic, and shrink it down in an editing program to like 20x20, and see it you can submit it; that would rule out the size question.
1091  Metaphysics / Welcome to Metaphysics! / Re: why religious mantras work? on: March 10, 2011, 08:17:00
The way I think about, I think I take a somewhat altered version of what Xanth suggested:

I don't think that the meaning of the syllables is at all relavent, outside of causing you to contemplate a certain idea as you say them; the real force of a mantra probably comes from two places:

1) The focused intent: when we focus on a mantra, we are causing our concentration to take an object, which becomes the majority of our awareness, allowing us to better get into a meditative state.

2) The modulations of pitch: it has been shown that not only do binaural sounds have the ability to direct brain-waves, but that in in addition, strongly modulating sounds of low modulation frequency also can affect brainwave states (beta to delta, etc). The effect of larges numbers of monks chanting a powerfully reverberent sound which modulates at a 4-8hz range is a powerful aid to directing your mental state into the meditative brainwave of theta and delta. So it is not impossible that chanting a mantra in a certain manner might also help you entrain your brainwaves to one of these states.
1092  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Robert Bruce is giving away Astral Dynamics EBook for free on: March 08, 2011, 19:09:06
Haha, I bet this is some kind of giant advert for other products, with the awareness that Astral Dynamics is showing flagging sales today; still really cool though, that Bruce is releasing his information, like he did with all those treatises years back- there is plenty in AD of value to any beginner.
1093  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: What do you know about isolation tanks? on: March 08, 2011, 19:01:07
They were much more studied and numerous around the mid-to-late 70's.  Most of the isolation tanks are now in psychology research departments, as it takes alot of effort and money to maintain them; they generally need saline-solution baths, and biometric monitoring equipment, so that a technitian can keep an eye the subject's vitals. I think there are a few private companies offering a similar experience with tanks, but it still costs a pretty penny.

I have never had any experiences with one, but from what I understand, most people have mild-moderate hallucinations within 20 minutes to an hour.

For me, OBE is linked intimately to the subconscious ( I would describe the intitial experience as immersing the concsious mind into the subconscious), and that is clearly the sort of experience you will have with the tanks, so there may be some similarity between what you experience in an OBE and the isolation tanks.  For me, I would just work on OBE and long meditation sessions, as it probably comes to the same thing, and does not cost nearly as much, but then I am sure the experience you have with the tanks is novel as well, so if you have the money, by all means.
1094  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: suicidal becsause of this area..... on: March 05, 2011, 00:04:11
Ah, ok- no problem then.

You should be take note though, that you posted in a public space, lol- people have expectations that the information was public if it was posted for all to see- there are private messaging systems on this forum, and there are other channels of communication.

It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other; I am just pointing out how people would easily be confused, as I was, lol.
1095  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Dalai Lama’s Nephew Killed on: March 04, 2011, 05:17:03
The funny thing is, this story will probably make a greater impact to people reading it from on far, than on the people who actually knew him; for most Buddhists, death is so inconsequential, they will just shrug his passing off.

I am sure he himself thinks it was just another day, haha. wink
1096  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: suicidal becsause of this area..... on: March 04, 2011, 05:08:40
Haha, fair enough, then!

Cheers!  wink
1097  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: suicidal becsause of this area..... on: March 04, 2011, 03:28:15
Some details are missing from the post ether, lol.

Perhaps you can fill us in a bit more as to why you think/know this?
1098  Psychic and Paranormal / Welcome to Psychic and Paranormal! / Re: Unexplained (nice) smell on: February 23, 2011, 21:51:53
Stillwater, nice tune but what's your point? See no connection

Not everything has a point  wink

World is full of events that result... mainly from events that resulted before them.

In other cases, perhaps a thing might be its own justification!
1099  Psychic and Paranormal / Welcome to Psychic and Paranormal! / Re: Unexplained (nice) smell on: February 23, 2011, 21:45:24
Yeah, I tend to think it would just be something like an open window that was nextdoor to your neighbors cooking rosemary potatoes. Lots of thing might have extraordinary explanations, but it definitely makes sense to consider simpler ones in cases like these.
1100  Psychic and Paranormal / Welcome to Psychic and Paranormal! / Re: Unexplained (nice) smell on: February 23, 2011, 19:59:37

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6q9nBusrq8

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 77