The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

Please note that due to the amount of spam posts we have been receiving over the past few months, we have switched Registration to require you to be approved by a moderator.  We will go through the approval list as often as we can, but if it's been 24 hours and you haven't been Approved yet or you've received a rejection email, please email myself or one of the moderators immediately so we may correct the application.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 21, 2014, 11:18:06

Login with username, password and session length

Show Posts
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 73
1151  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: The Universe... on: September 26, 2010, 14:58:36
Not quite. Time is defined as change. As specific amount of change is considered to be a second.

This still feels like an inadequate definition of time. What about a state where matter is held in stasis in absolute zero? Nothing changes, but one moment is still different from another, if in no measurable way other than not being the same moment.

What about a whole univerese where this is the case, where there is matter, but no motion at all- everything is held in a static kind of balance. By that reasoning, this universe would also necessarily exist outside of time.
1152  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Anyone know anything about the Mantis looking aliens? on: September 26, 2010, 14:52:41
Yeah... but then I am not really saying they would be one thing or another (collective unconscious archetype, non-physically manifesting entity, or objective waking entity). I am just saying that the majority of the times people say they have been seen they were in an altered state; this to me suggests that if they are real, all three posibilities are viable.
1153  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Anyone know anything about the Mantis looking aliens? on: September 26, 2010, 09:30:16
Yeah... I sorta' assumed you only wanted one of those negatives, but were filled with such certainty, you accidentally used it twice.  wink

Using the search function on the site for other threads, here are some exceprts which describe entities similar to what you bring up.

Tiny, April 22nd, 2010:
What Robert Bruce saw in his first OBE was a mantis alien manipulating him with some sort of energy ball.
He has also mentioned how these ETs implant suggestions, ideas, urges etc. - directly into the minds of humans to take influence on them.
In my opinion, it is simply put mind warfare, programming wars.

SnakeDoctor, March 13th, 2009:
"As a child, my twin sister and I remember a man, a man we called the "Triangle Man" come into our room at night and terrify us. This did not happen every night, but it happened more than once, and we both consciously remember that.

He would come in through the wall, and only when we were in bed... never when we were awake playing or during the day, only at night when we were to be going to sleep. When he would come in the room, through the wall, the floor seemed to shift in a downward motion, like we would be sliding down toward him, although the bed never moved, and we couldn't either. We wouldn't be able to move at all, like we were paralyzed.

Our beds were side by side with a small dresser between us, and although we couldn't turn our heads to look at each other, we could see each other out of the corner of our eyes and we would stare at each other in fear. I remember also feeling like I knew he was coming and there was nothing I or my sister could do about it. He would slowly walk up to the end of our beds and look at us. There were times I remember him coming up right beside me and looking at me, or going to my sister and I would watch him watch her.

Neither of us remember abduction or anything like that, but we both believe our undeniable interest, fascination and fear of aliens and UFOs have something to do with it. We both fear aliens and UFOs, always have, and for no particular reason other than this childhood memory. You really can't have a fear of something for no reason; something has to generate that fear inside of you, and I believe maybe our memory of "Triangle Man" is that generator.

He was not very tall, but frail, with long, skinny arms and legs, with a slender face that was shaped like an upside-down triangle. His eyes were big and dark, and I also associate the color purple with him; not sure why. I can't remember even what color he was... maybe purplish... but despite his color, he scared me and scared my sister. We haven't seen him again since I was a child, nor my sister -- and we don't want to either."

-CORINNE M. (http://paranormal.about.com/od/othercreatures/a/tales_09_03_17t.htm)

i came across this, and wondered what it was. figured i'd get your all's insight. i'm thinkin' its a night-terror.

Jim G.'s account, February 12, 2006  (for full account) http://www.ufobc.ca/Beyond/prayingmantis/prayingmantis_3.htm
Shortly after his first encounter was published Jim started to have more strange experiences on a regular basis (about twice a week but they would stop completely for a month). Typically he would hear the dreaded 'clicking sound', first in his head and then in his bedroom. This was followed by a red glow on his bedroom wall, tall shadowy figures, then he would pass out. He would try his best to maintain consciousness but he rarely could. It appeared that the beings didn't want him to be awake during their visits to him (as he was in Part I). The next day he would wake up exhausted, aching all over and some times with bruises on his body. However, he was eventually successful in maintaining consciousness during several of his encounters. These vivid accounts along with Jim's impressive artwork can be read/viewed at Praying Mantis Account Part II.

His experience of November 10, 2003 described an incident where he was able to break out of the immobilised state. He had a stand-off with a short cloaked being with large red glowing eyes. The being was in a hunched position in the back corridor of his bedroom as Jim contemplated grabbing it. Jim then described what went through his mind in assessing the possible consequences of following through with his plan but the being just "turned and walked INTO and through the wall!".

-----------------

The commonalities between these and the many accounts I have read are that the beings people have said they have interacted with appear sometimes in waking reality, and sometimes in a dream-state; they communicate, if at all, telepathically; they exhibit the ability to pass through walls; they seem very interested in observing human behavior.

Again, it is hard to say if such things really exist, or if people are feeding off of one another's accounts, etc. But the accounts I have read do seem to show these patterns between them, for what it is worth.
1154  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Anyone know anything about the Mantis looking aliens? on: September 25, 2010, 19:43:16
Maybe... but it is hard to say. I would guess that they have the same chance of existing as any other sort of alien being people think of. I remember there is someone on this forum who says he and his brother would see mantid creatures like this, growing up... calling it the "triangle man", only to find that others claimed to have seen similar creatures.

Maybe it is people feeding off of one anothers' stories or hysteria, or maybe there is some grounding. I can't say that here is a way for me to know definitively, short of seeing one myself.

I can second though, that this particular creature is one lots of people claimed to have seen.
1155  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: My Curtains Are Straight!! on: September 25, 2010, 15:18:27
this belongs in the psychic and paranormal section

Lol... unlike the "TAPS" thread apparently cheesy
1156  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: My Curtains Are Straight!! on: September 24, 2010, 14:44:22
From the "Zhuangzi" late Chapter 1 ( http://www.edepot.com/taochuang.html    )  :

Hueitse said to Zhuangzi, "The Prince of Wei gave me a seed of a large-sized kind of gourd. I planted it, and it bore a fruit as big as a five bushel measure. Now had I used this for holding liquids, it would have been too heavy to lift; and had I cut it in half for ladles, the ladles would have been too flat for such purpose. Certainly it was a huge thing, but I had no use for it and so broke it up."

"It was rather you did not know how to use large things," replied Zhuangzi.

"Now as to your five-bushel gourd, why did you not make a float of it, and float about over river and lake? And you complain of its being too flat for holding things! I fear your mind is full of underbrush."

Hueitse said to Zhuangzi, "I have a large tree, called the ailanthus. Its trunk is so irregular and knotty that it cannot be measured out for planks; while its branches are so twisted that they cannot be cut out into discs or squares. It stands by the roadside, but no carpenter will look at it. Your words are like that tree -- big and useless, of no concern to the world."

"Have you never seen a wild cat," rejoined Zhuangzi, "crouching down in wait for its prey? Right and left and high and low, it springs about, until it gets caught in a trap or dies in a snare. On the other hand, there is the yak with its great huge body. It is big enough in all conscience, but it cannot catch mice. Now if you have a big tree and are at a loss what to do with it, why not plant it in the Village of Nowhere, in the great wilds, where you might loiter idly by its side, and lie down in blissful repose beneath its shade? There it would be safe from the ax and from all other injury. For being of no use to others, what could worry its mind?"

----------

Zhuangzi thinks your mind is full of underbrush, Xanth. Need to get with the Dao! So busy trying to straighten curtains, you fail to see the subtle  grace of the crooked and untamed.
1157  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: For OMCASEY, Buddishm, life, suffering on: September 24, 2010, 07:07:55
Buddhists do fight- think of the Shaolin monks or Tibet's army. They do seem very slow going about it though... all that conscientious objection stuff. I guess you can sort of consider the buddhist history of violent resistance like that of the ents from Lord of the Rings. They will fight, but it takes a lot of convincing.
1158  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Nationalism on the rise on: September 23, 2010, 05:11:06
I don't know. Again, it all depends on what you deem mutual respect to be. The sort of mutual respect you are speaking of is one that tends to be collectivist, and think about the needs of the whole, in spite of regional and cultural separations. The type of mutual respect that I would think would be more commonplace though, would be more a more a "live and let live" sort of attitude, that tolerates cultural discrepancies and boundaries, without the individual units striving to think of themselves as members of a team.

Look at the attitudes that China and the U.S. seem to have about one another, for the last 70 years- each recognizes the strength of the other, and realizes that direct conflict would be disasterous. None the less, each practices imperialist encroachments on the interests of the other (Vietnam, Korea, Machuria). Both seem to think that the other would sieze what is theirs given the chance, and fear for the loss of their own ways of life. China and the U.S., at least on the surface are each vying to get their people more wealth and standard of life. As nation-states, they each view the other as a competitor above all else.
1159  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Nationalism on the rise on: September 23, 2010, 02:12:44
but it wouldn't surprise me-the best way to maintain control or conquer, is to divide

It is sort of funny, since paranoid NWO exposers are always saying that it is the rise of globalism and unified society that will bring the illuminati overlords into full power. So people have to be afraid of unity and division, lol?
1160  Astral Chat / Welcome to Members Introductions! / Re: Say Hello to me-im new and im a white witch. on: September 22, 2010, 04:06:52
...and throne with the sun over it...

Oh... You mean like... this one?

The one that George Washington sat in at independence hall? What are you saying about George? That he wasn't a stand-up guy?

1161  Astral Chat / Welcome to Members Introductions! / Re: Say Hello to me-im new and im a white witch. on: September 20, 2010, 21:35:02
Lol... you and I clearly keep different circles, PR  cheesy

It might help that you work at that shop dealy where you might meet occultists in real life pretty often.

And sorry to hijack your thread, Blackorchid! Welcome to the forums!
1162  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Haunted Hoax: TAPS on: September 20, 2010, 05:56:34
People need to stop trying to prove everything in this world is a hoax... and put their energy towards something a bit more meaningful.

LOL!

Yeah... I am pretty sure you are a hoax Xanth. You are probably just Stookie's other online pesonsality. And Stookie is a hoax too. He is just Frank, who didn't want people to hassle him about the book they paid for. And Adrian is also Frank, when he wants to sell more books  wink
1163  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Theoretical example of what various types of colorblind people likely see on: September 20, 2010, 05:51:46
http://colorvisiontesting.com/what%20colorblind%20people%20see.htm

I thought this was interesting. Not particularly new or anything, but I always wondered how the world appeared to colorblind people.

The idea makes sense- for a red-green colorblind person, it is like going into photoshop and desaturating the red or the green part of the spectrum. They variance between them fades into a single hue and only value and intensity can be used to distinguish.

Sort of funny that they would totally miss a red berry bush out in the wild. Must have been a terrible disadvantage in hunter-gather days.
1164  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Haunted Hoax: TAPS on: September 20, 2010, 05:07:44
Fake or not... it's entertaining.
Which is more than I can say for a lot of shows on tv these days.

But you do have to admit that if it is fake, it is very irresponsible, if only for the fact that it would further take away credibility from people who were legitimately researching what they believed to be a real phenomenon, which is unfortunate.

Having a hoax in your line of work obviously does not reflect on you, but it does further strain people's tendency to be open minded about an idea.

For instance, if, for example, TAPS is a hoax... it allows you to conclude... TAPS is a hoax. And very little else.

The way people generally think however, whould be, "If TAPS is a hoax... then I bet a bunch of other researchers in the field are perpetrating a hoax... possibly all of them... this is clearly only something fools consider."

Very insidious, no?
1165  Astral Chat / Welcome to Members Introductions! / Re: Say Hello to me-im new and im a white witch. on: September 20, 2010, 03:36:43
a big part of any magical practice is maintaining an astral temple

Lol... I have been here for most of a decade, and I have no idea what an "astral temple" is... or this "astral initiation" ceremony people keep mentioning.
1166  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Haunted Hoax: TAPS on: September 20, 2010, 03:25:37
No-  I think it was in precisely the right area-  psychic-paranormal. wink
1167  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Haunted Hoax: TAPS on: September 20, 2010, 00:01:09
Well... that will probably only work for as long as the show is current- which won't be for long.
1168  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Haunted Hoax: TAPS on: September 19, 2010, 23:03:40
From the title, it seems you have already made up your mind  wink
1169  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: My New Crystal Skull on: September 19, 2010, 22:58:58
What are they, a fist's size?

Judging by the picture, to be scaled to the book I would imagine they are between two and three inches wide.
1170  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: My New Crystal Skull on: September 19, 2010, 04:20:16
but sure, why not, lump me in with kurt.

Lol... what is wrong with Kurt? You both have a propensity for amassing a certain sort of crystal.
1171  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: My New Crystal Skull on: September 18, 2010, 22:54:16
LOL... this is clearly getting out of hand... maybe your skull family can talk to Kurt's quartz collection  cheesy
1172  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Why wouldn't NEGs exist? on: September 18, 2010, 19:14:00
Yeah PR, on the subject of books and such, if you are interested in all this evolutionary anthropology / psychology stuff , you might enjoy reading some of Joseph Campbell's books on the relationship between early religions and human development. I liked his "Masks of God" series, and thought it was somewhat insightful, even if every single word was not a necessary truth, as mentioned.

*ALL* of this is just in our minds.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "all" ( all OBE experiences, all experiences people have, the whole of the entire universe).

You would need to adopt a different metaphysical view based on how inclusive you wanted this "all" to be. For instance, you could be a materialist, and say that all OBE are mental fabrications from a physical brain; you could be a certain type of mind-body idealist and point out that the only contact people have with a supposed physical world is through mental reconstructions of it, and that we never truly come in contact with a physical at all; you could even be the sort of mind-body monist who feels that there is not really a physical world at all, and that any appearance of one is merely suggested by our ideas and perceptions.
1173  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: My New Crystal Skull on: September 18, 2010, 06:28:48
Lol... ask... the skull?
1174  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Astral Music Gods on: September 18, 2010, 06:26:50
Lol... yeah, I don't know what is going on in this thread at all  rolleyes
1175  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Why wouldn't NEGs exist? on: September 17, 2010, 20:15:09

I'm reading a book now Stillwater (The Origin of Consciousness in the Break Down of the Bicameral Mind) whose premise is that consciousness as we know it (a subjective experience through "ego") didn't exist until about 3000-5000 years ago.  before that, the author says humans had what he calls the bicameral mind which is basically a split mind.  There was the overt acting part and that person heard auditory hallucinations (as well as saw visual hallucinations) that directed him/her in their actions.  Now the overt side was incapable of introspection and therefore incapable of decision making, rather they waited until the "voice in their head" (which they experienced as the gods of mythology) told them what to do.

This seems like something that would be very difficult to actually test. For instance, how would a creature that was "incapable of intropection", but directed by inner voices behave? Are non-human animals "incapable of introspection"? Dolphins and great apes definitely appear as though they are carrying out plans and making reflective decisions based on their environment. How would you really test whether they were picturing representations of the environment or not?

Furthermore, how would you actually establish a causal direction between subjective representation and language? Maybe it would be the other way around, and language formed because humans had developed a particularly sophosticed system of mental representation, and needed a way to communicate these personal representations to others. Animals, afterall do seem to understand things about the environment that they can't see or directly expereince, such as a hidden object that they are interested in. They understand that removing it from view does not remove it from reality, and it would seem that they would have to have a personal representation of the world that included that object in it in order to think this way.

This is not the aspect of the perceived separation between objective and subjective reality I was speaking of, though. I was talking about the more mundane question of whether our OBE experiences belong soley to the self, or exist in a realm which others can interact with and experience concurrently- the question mentioned of whether or not the real time zone experiences are actually representations of the world we seem to share in waking, or just an extension of our own inner world that is not accessible to others. What you have brought up is related, but not the concept in particular, since we would still not require "introspection" in order to have an inner subjective reality, since what makes that reality subjective is not how we consider it, but how we experience it (as representation of another reality- the world we seem to share, provided by our perceptions- bearing the marks of the mental equipment used to generate it).
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 73