The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

Please note that due to the amount of spam posts we have been receiving over the past few months, we have switched Registration to require you to be approved by a moderator.  We will go through the approval list as often as we can, but if it's been 24 hours and you haven't been Approved yet or you've received a rejection email, please email myself or one of the moderators immediately so we may correct the application.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. July 26, 2014, 00:30:28

Login with username, password and session length

Show Posts
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 72
1151  2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Welcome to 2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Re: History and Celestial Time on: September 11, 2010, 22:37:41
It makes sense that many civilizations might think that, however; There are only so many choices about how to think about sequential time. The two big ones are cyclical periods, and complete linearity. The Abrahamic religions are all linear- they believe in a creation point, and in an eschaton to end things.

If you don't think of there being a begining or an end to time, then either you must think of time as being cyclical, or else imagine that every moment in time will be different from every other before, or at the very least that events have no pattern at all, and this is somewhat counter-intuitive, since there are forces in the universe that ensure that certain patterns are upheld, such as gravitational orbit.

Another rational reason for surmising that time might be cyclical is scaling up from smaller scale measurements of time. Days, seasons, years, solar-system relationships in planetary alignment, and the procession of the equinoxes all happen in cycles. It is only natural for a mathematical Hindu mind to think that perhaps these cycles, in many scales, are themselves units in even greater cycles, which are themselves units in ever larger cycles.
1152  Psychic and Paranormal / Welcome to Psychic and Paranormal! / Re: Question i need help with:Immortality on: September 10, 2010, 01:57:16
Hard to say whether that is true or not. Depends on whether you mean think of yourself as your awareness, or as your personal identity,which is defined by memories, habits of thought, and perspective.

It seems pretty likely that self as awareness may be immortal, while self as personal identity may die with the body. After death, you will likely still exist in some form, but will forever lose the perspective you have now. You will be you, but not you at the same time. Sort of like a person who, for some reason is always attached to a bicycle. When they are finally seperated from it years later, they will still exist, but they will not feel like the same person, as they will have gained some abilities and sensations, and lost others. Imagine this change, only with perspective and cognitive apparatus substituted for bicycle. You will gain some abilities and sensations, and will lose others.
1153  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Yes We Can = Thank You Satan on: September 08, 2010, 23:39:26
Lol... the backwards translations make no sense at all. They were clearly not trying very hard.

"Woman don't add?"

"He came with game?"

"Pharoah Zeus?"

"That ain't leaved- selled by the gambit- selled back?"

Need to do better than that. I liked "Thank you Satan", though- that one at least sounded very clear and with purpose. Maybe Obama runs with Lucifer, who knows... hard to say what team he is playing on sometimes.
1154  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Possessed!:( on: September 08, 2010, 13:38:33
Yeah, that is what I mean. Can't read them individually, but as a body.
1155  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Possessed!:( on: September 08, 2010, 00:48:29
I thought that too, at first. But if you look at his posting history, he has literally been posting these one-liners for years. If you read the last 50 or so as a whole, they seem to have sincerity in them, and tell a distinct story, so my guess is they are in fact genuine questions. But who knows  rolleyes
1156  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Astral Music Gods on: September 07, 2010, 13:03:27
Which is why it makes sense that we created this universe as a collective. A perpetual cycle of life

Lol... you can't just take a piece of a post out of context, and cite it as support of your premise, regardless of original intent. There is no relationship at all between what you just asserted and the meaning of that post  rolleyes
1157  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Astral Music Gods on: September 07, 2010, 02:28:29
You miss my point.. IF we created this universe for ourselves, God is irrelevant...

But that is saying the same thing. Whether or not God is irrelevant is just another another question about the importance or position of God in our reality. By focusing on whether or not God is relevant, you automatically give the concept relavence- it is self defeating.
1158  Metaphysics / Welcome to Metaphysics! / Re: Mirror Hallucinations on: September 07, 2010, 00:23:57

I've done this with dolls in a dark room. You can make them move and come to life. 

that sounds scary, i'm not going to be trying that anytime soon.

Yeah, lol... that sounds like the last thing I want to do... take a ton of time to put serious, dedicated effort into freaking myself out. shocked
1159  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: New Tracks on: September 06, 2010, 19:41:24
Do you use a keyboard, or go the pure midi route?

Listened to the second one there. Like the counterpoint, but feels like it wants a stronger central melody- like it has no focus. I know this is characteristic of a lot of ecltronic music, but it still bothers me. But good work  wink
1160  2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Welcome to 2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Re: Nothing is going to happen 2012 on: September 06, 2010, 19:34:31
Mayans sure know how to ruin Christmas... and about astronomy, blood sacrafice, empire building, an all.

But mainly ruining Christmas.
1161  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Astral Music Gods on: September 06, 2010, 13:01:01
Why is it so important whether or not there is a god, or whether we're god, or whether we are a part of god, etc?

To use the music example, it's like there are 80 people in an orchestra. No one there is focused on where everyone in the orchestra came from, what they they did to get there, who their parents are, who their instructors were, where their instruments were made, etc. The focus is all on the art and its creation. The rest seem to be extraneous details, at least as far as the orchestra is concerned that moment. Maybe the other details will come into play later, as far as who goes home where, etc, but in that moment, there is only the music.
1162  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Metallic objects? on: September 06, 2010, 12:54:11
That probably has more to do with more of the body's focus being put into digestion, and the corresponding physical sensations, I would guess.
1163  Psychic and Paranormal / Welcome to Psychic and Paranormal! / Re: Help please:zombie question on: September 04, 2010, 17:06:53
Lol.... maybe you can ask Freddy, maybe he knows?
1164  2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Welcome to 2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Re: Stephen Hawking Says God Did Not Create the Universe on: September 04, 2010, 09:29:46
Well, there are two big ideas that I don't think are mentioned here.

The first of these is the idea of "necessary" vs "contingent" existences and truths. In philosophy, these terms refer specifically to either the contents or the qualities of the universe. To say that an object, state of things, or a truth is contingent is to say that ot only happens to be the way it is, and could have been different in another world. For instance, I happen to wear a red shirt, I happen to live in Latvia, and I happen to exist. In a different world, I might be wearing a blue shirt, or live in Canada. Maybe in another world, there are no such things as shirts, or there is no Latvia, or I don't exist. This is possible if these features of the world are contingent, meaning only as they are by circumstance.

This is very different from necessary truth or existence. Necessary things are things that could not have ever been different in any possible world, and would be a feature of any possible world. For instance, most philosophers think the rules of mathematics are all necessary truths- they think that in any possible world, 1+1 must = 2 in base ten. It is a necessary truth. Something cannot both exist and not exist, that is a necessary truth ( an instance of the law of non-contradiction).

What Steven Hawking would be arguing here amounts to an argument that the universe is a necessary entity- that it could not have failed to exist. If he was not arguing this, then he would fail at answering the question mentioned of why there is something (a universe) rather than nothing. So as a philosophical consequence of this, he must be arguing that the universe as it is is the only possible universe that could have existed, otherwise it would not be a necessary truth. And it needs to be a necessary truth, in order to avoid the question of why there is something, since it could have otherwise failed to exist, if it were merely contingent. But this is a very strange notion, and I don't think Hawkings has justified himself in suggesting that the universe could not have been different from how it is, as this is a direct consequence of this thinking.

I think there must be a fallacy somewhere in his reasoning. I think it probably stems from failing to explain why the understood laws of physics, like gravity mentioned, are de facto necessary truths. His faith in the idea that the laws of physics are necessary truths is no different from blindly believing in a creator without having a reason, if this is the case. By forming his argument as he does, he merely inherits the same questions that must be posed to the theist arguing the opposite.

Nice Try, Steven Hawking. (That is strangely satisfying  cheesy )
1165  Psychic and Paranormal / Welcome to Psychic and Paranormal! / Re: Freddy realities on: September 03, 2010, 21:45:18
Lol... this came out of left field grin

Don't really know what to say..........

What gave you this idea this might be possibility, may I ask?
1166  Energy Body and The Chakras / Welcome to Energy Body and The Chakras / Re: so how do you actually raise your kundalini? on: September 03, 2010, 21:34:41
There are people whom seem to have exhibited symptoms kundalini literature traditionally mentions, without any history of meditation or esoteric practice.

People Like El Collie suffered their entire lives from these symptoms, with severe gastric and nerve troubles beside. She also related, like many others, that her body would be directed to take specific poses.

There are also the writings of Gopi Krishna relating his similar life-long experiences.

I don't have a problem with people saying that Kundalini has been trumped up, and is billed as a metaphysical cureall, since it seems to bring more suffering than anything, but it is clear, at least to me, that people, especially those with meditative practices, have been experiencing a phenomenon of physiological changes, regardless of what you want to think about the phenomenon.
1167  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Psychological Pathologies and Meds on: September 03, 2010, 19:48:33
No joke.

The pharmaceutical machine is yet another arm of corportate culture pushing half-baked products to fill every invented need.

The FDA exists in name only, more or less as a platform to claim quality on medications railroaded through testing processes.

Our society is so quick to prescribe destructive mind-altering substances, and so reluctant to explore why the issues in question exist in the first place, much less how to help the individual deal with them in a healthy and slef-empowering manner. I am not saying all paranoid schizophrenics can deal with their problems on their own, but I am saying that dumping thorazine into their blood amounts to blatant avoidance of the problem coupled with indifference to a model of psychiatric care resembling a prison.
1168  2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Welcome to 2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Re: Nothing is going to happen 2012 on: September 03, 2010, 09:57:13
Yep, that much is for certain.  But it's always in spurts or waves.  There is a rhythm to everything.

That's just the thing, though- the changes of the present mirror changes that have occured many times in history. It is impossible to say that the present is more significant than these past changes, as for one the changes today have not completed themselves, and cannot be viewed as a whole, and for another you probably did not live through those other movements, and cannot directly compare them to today.

The change that more and more individuals and communities are gaining the interest and desire to reconnect with each other, nature, the planet, and all Life.  

This has happened so many times accross so many cultures it is basically universal to human culture. Let's just look at the U.S. as an example:

-1990 or so: massive green movement and awareness of global warming
-1970's: movements toward communal living, ecological awareness (watch "Easy Rider")
-Late 1960's: Hippy era of flowerchildren and "free love"
-Early 1960's: Awareness of corporate destruction of land, Silent Spring
-1950's: New interest in Eastern religions
-1920's: Dadaism and disillusionment with industrial culture
-1840's-1890s': Homespun religious revivals and communal living "utopian" movements
-1790s' to 1840's: Romantic poetry, people like Coleridge calling for a return to nature

From this short little timeline, you can see that we are not living in times that are new in that way. I do think that it is a wonderful focus for humanity to take, but I cannot say it has never happened before.

And the present threats to the environment are without a doubt the greatest yet known, while the vast majority continues with indifference. Corporate hands are stripmining the earth, and a couple people are talking about 20% more efficient cars, and how we can better recycle what the corporations give us. I am afraid the trends of today look more like a Ragnorok than an Age of Aquarious. We have brought a straw army to stand against tanks. If there is to be any change at all against today's problems, we would need awareness, interest, and intent one hundred fold greater- it would have to be so great as to consume the interest of every citizen.
1169  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Serco: The largest company you've never heard of. on: September 02, 2010, 20:14:21
Stay away from cities named after woodland creatures.

1170  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Yet another oil spill on: September 02, 2010, 20:12:19
Illuminati shenanigans- called it with the China spill months ago  wink

And yes... hemp is legendary in its numerous potential uses. Good oil producer, good fabric material, vastly unexplored medicinal uses- some think it may actually cure certain kinds of cancer. The founding fathers all made it a priority to have it farmed everywhere, in great quanitities. It is only certain paternalistic prohibitionist tendancies that have crushed its development recently.
1171  2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Welcome to 2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Re: Nothing is going to happen 2012 on: September 02, 2010, 05:07:34
An individual would have to be incredibly hypnotized or mesmerized by mainstream society and mainstream media not to recognize the changes that are already taking place on all levels.

Well, thankfully I don't own a TV, so I don't have to worry... but maybe still hypnotized, who knows? What changes in particular do you have in mind? The world is changing all the time- in which regard do you think the omens lie?
1172  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Movies on: September 01, 2010, 00:44:09
Hi guys, welcome back.

I have always been a fan of director Hiyao Miyazaki's films.

My two favorite are probably "Mononoke Hime" (Princess Mononoke), and "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind". They are each stories about the war between civilization and the natural world and nouminal spirits, told in varying settings and manners.
1173  Bug Reports and Questions / Forums Bugs Reports and Questions / Re: WB on: September 01, 2010, 00:21:28
lol.... 2 months of lost posts not the best result... but far from worst  wink
1174  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Members' Artwork on: June 20, 2010, 11:28:16
 huh huh huh
1175  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: For OMCASEY, Buddishm, life, suffering on: June 20, 2010, 06:21:36
Some people do feel that Koans can have "acceptable" answers though.

For instance, the teacher might present a shoe, and say, "What is this?"

One student might pick it up, and declare that it is a fan, and use it thusly. Another might point to the teacher. Yet a third may ask what is being pointed at.

Usually, Koans are meant, as you said, to facilitate contemplation and understanding of metaphysical truths about reality itself- therefore, responding with a metaphsysical obeservation prompted by the question is usually looked upon favorably.  cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 72