The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

Please note that due to the amount of spam posts we have been receiving over the past few months, we have switched Registration to require you to be approved by a moderator.  We will go through the approval list as often as we can, but if it's been 24 hours and you haven't been Approved yet or you've received a rejection email, please email myself or one of the moderators immediately so we may correct the application.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 01, 2014, 09:09:20

Login with username, password and session length

Show Posts
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 73
1151  Astral Chat / Welcome to Members Introductions! / Re: Say Hello to me-im new and im a white witch. on: September 20, 2010, 03:36:43
a big part of any magical practice is maintaining an astral temple

Lol... I have been here for most of a decade, and I have no idea what an "astral temple" is... or this "astral initiation" ceremony people keep mentioning.
1152  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Haunted Hoax: TAPS on: September 20, 2010, 03:25:37
No-  I think it was in precisely the right area-  psychic-paranormal. wink
1153  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Haunted Hoax: TAPS on: September 20, 2010, 00:01:09
Well... that will probably only work for as long as the show is current- which won't be for long.
1154  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Haunted Hoax: TAPS on: September 19, 2010, 23:03:40
From the title, it seems you have already made up your mind  wink
1155  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: My New Crystal Skull on: September 19, 2010, 22:58:58
What are they, a fist's size?

Judging by the picture, to be scaled to the book I would imagine they are between two and three inches wide.
1156  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: My New Crystal Skull on: September 19, 2010, 04:20:16
but sure, why not, lump me in with kurt.

Lol... what is wrong with Kurt? You both have a propensity for amassing a certain sort of crystal.
1157  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: My New Crystal Skull on: September 18, 2010, 22:54:16
LOL... this is clearly getting out of hand... maybe your skull family can talk to Kurt's quartz collection  cheesy
1158  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Why wouldn't NEGs exist? on: September 18, 2010, 19:14:00
Yeah PR, on the subject of books and such, if you are interested in all this evolutionary anthropology / psychology stuff , you might enjoy reading some of Joseph Campbell's books on the relationship between early religions and human development. I liked his "Masks of God" series, and thought it was somewhat insightful, even if every single word was not a necessary truth, as mentioned.

*ALL* of this is just in our minds.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "all" ( all OBE experiences, all experiences people have, the whole of the entire universe).

You would need to adopt a different metaphysical view based on how inclusive you wanted this "all" to be. For instance, you could be a materialist, and say that all OBE are mental fabrications from a physical brain; you could be a certain type of mind-body idealist and point out that the only contact people have with a supposed physical world is through mental reconstructions of it, and that we never truly come in contact with a physical at all; you could even be the sort of mind-body monist who feels that there is not really a physical world at all, and that any appearance of one is merely suggested by our ideas and perceptions.
1159  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: My New Crystal Skull on: September 18, 2010, 06:28:48
Lol... ask... the skull?
1160  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Astral Music Gods on: September 18, 2010, 06:26:50
Lol... yeah, I don't know what is going on in this thread at all  rolleyes
1161  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Why wouldn't NEGs exist? on: September 17, 2010, 20:15:09

I'm reading a book now Stillwater (The Origin of Consciousness in the Break Down of the Bicameral Mind) whose premise is that consciousness as we know it (a subjective experience through "ego") didn't exist until about 3000-5000 years ago.  before that, the author says humans had what he calls the bicameral mind which is basically a split mind.  There was the overt acting part and that person heard auditory hallucinations (as well as saw visual hallucinations) that directed him/her in their actions.  Now the overt side was incapable of introspection and therefore incapable of decision making, rather they waited until the "voice in their head" (which they experienced as the gods of mythology) told them what to do.

This seems like something that would be very difficult to actually test. For instance, how would a creature that was "incapable of intropection", but directed by inner voices behave? Are non-human animals "incapable of introspection"? Dolphins and great apes definitely appear as though they are carrying out plans and making reflective decisions based on their environment. How would you really test whether they were picturing representations of the environment or not?

Furthermore, how would you actually establish a causal direction between subjective representation and language? Maybe it would be the other way around, and language formed because humans had developed a particularly sophosticed system of mental representation, and needed a way to communicate these personal representations to others. Animals, afterall do seem to understand things about the environment that they can't see or directly expereince, such as a hidden object that they are interested in. They understand that removing it from view does not remove it from reality, and it would seem that they would have to have a personal representation of the world that included that object in it in order to think this way.

This is not the aspect of the perceived separation between objective and subjective reality I was speaking of, though. I was talking about the more mundane question of whether our OBE experiences belong soley to the self, or exist in a realm which others can interact with and experience concurrently- the question mentioned of whether or not the real time zone experiences are actually representations of the world we seem to share in waking, or just an extension of our own inner world that is not accessible to others. What you have brought up is related, but not the concept in particular, since we would still not require "introspection" in order to have an inner subjective reality, since what makes that reality subjective is not how we consider it, but how we experience it (as representation of another reality- the world we seem to share, provided by our perceptions- bearing the marks of the mental equipment used to generate it).
1162  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Why wouldn't NEGs exist? on: September 17, 2010, 03:01:32
i'm starting to think the whole thing is in your mind, rtz and all.

It is a foregone conclusion, I think, that a large amout of the experience is in the mind, probably the majority. The question is really more about exactly how much is in the mind, and what is potentially independent. With respect to the rtz type experiences in particular, people generally look to "validation" type experiences to give them a foothold in thinking that the rtz is in fact indepenednt. I guess the extent to which you place soundness in the studies and anecdotes that conclude validations are possible is the extent to which you might think rtz experiences are purely mental or not.

Most people feel that there is a "hyper-reality" aspect to the OBE that suggests that OBE are really a state with a greater amount of reality than waking life, but this is hard to use as evidence, since anything a human experiences in an altered mental state is suspect. I know that most people seem to look down on validations, but I really see no other way of establishing that OBE have objective reality to them. Having experienced OBE for myself, and the separation it seems to hold from the waking world does not seem alone sufficent to deny it is a physical experience. It is mainly validations and studies of the interaction of the physical and mental worlds, and discussions of what in philosophy is called the "Hard Problem of Consciousness" ( Read some of David Chalmer's ideas online)  that tend toward establising a non-materialist viewpoint for me.
1163  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Mainstream Media Commercial on: September 15, 2010, 22:36:04
Ha!  I also really dislike the mainstream/liberal media.  

I love this guy though (and he tells me how to live my life):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJjNVVwRCY

Don't know where I would be without O'Reily!

cheesy cheesy cheesy

And since we had the data loss, I get to have my second 666 post! evil cool evil
1164  Metaphysics / Welcome to Quantum Physics! / Re: Quantum Jumping?? on: September 15, 2010, 15:27:17
Hey kurt, how's the quartz treating yout these days ? wink
1165  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Re: Beautiful, Vivid music... on: September 15, 2010, 03:57:54
I know! That definitely happens to me as well. It is like each thought or emotion has a chord color to it. I wish I could hold it in memory and write them all down, I am sure it would be incredible.

The 19th century German Philosopher, Arthur Schopenhauer felt that it was primarily through two types of experiences that we are able to sublimate our mundane lives and connect with transcendent forces: ascetic and meditative practices, and aesthetic rapture, chiefly music. I think I agree for the most part. For me, I think the most powerful experiences come when the two are combined, such as when music becomes an object of meditative concentration, or when one plays music as an act of meditation itself, such as in the Japanese art of Shakuhachi flute playing.
1166  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Consciousness! / Re: Looking into the future and taking to animals on: September 14, 2010, 06:05:50
I am wondering if anyone knows if through astral travel we can look into the future and the past, as these "realms" contain all that has ever happened and all that could ever happen an infinite number of times all at once.

There are some that claim to have visited a state of existence now termed the "Akashic record"; this state is said to contain tremendously detailed imprinits of all reality past, present, and future, availible to anyone who can mentally navigate the records through intentions. These records are said to take the the form of thought and sensory input, as well as objective schematics. So it is like they are blueprints for reality, accompanied with a sample of what it is like to live and experience those realities as well. But you might have known that already. wink
1167  Metaphysics / Welcome to Quantum Physics! / Re: Quantum Jumping?? on: September 14, 2010, 03:34:54
He's a guy in his 70's who's apparently learned to do all manner of things to an amazing level, piano, photography, painting - I've watched a couple of Youtube vids about him, he certainly can do these things - of course it doesn't prove the way he says he learned, but interesting nevertheless.

Eh, I can do all that stuff pretty well... ain't needed no dopplegangers or triplegangers yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBTmeK52xec

And the way he approaches the keys on the piano, the way he holds his thumbs is very different from how a pianist would normally approach them. He basically hit a bunch of keys without any real harmonic structure. It is cool that he is learning new skills, but those displays don't necessarily require metaphysical intervention.

Not saying it is impossible, but in the time it might take you to try something like that diligently, you might develop the skill you are looking for naturally  wink

We all have latent creative abilities in us, and many people would be amazed at the type of skills you can develop if you only believed it was possible. That seems to me to be the primary agency here, at least.

But intersting nonetheless!
1168  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / "The Corporation" on: September 13, 2010, 03:17:19
Those of you who know anything about my political views will probably have heard me rant about how I feel corporate agency has taken the world to such and such a place in such and such a handbasket. Notwithstanding, I think others may be interested in this documentary, which analyzes, in graciously biased perspective, the recent history of corporations in the world.

The makers of the film have made it availible free online, asking for donations.  

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=FA50FBC214A6CE87
1169  2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Welcome to 2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Re: Channeling from the Pleiadians.. on: September 12, 2010, 19:48:26
No.. If a spanish person meets an asian person, they will at least introduce themselves. If not the world would be completely different. Let's just assume there is other intelligent life out there. If they had means of intergalactic travel, would you want to know about them, or would you prefer them to lurk in the shadows?

Spanish people and Asian people are not different species, from different worlds. One is not a "gorilla" in comparison to the other, so this analogy can't hold.
1170  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Re: My dream guide on: September 12, 2010, 04:10:06
That's good. I thought you read them, but I wanted to make sure. I will continue to reply, then  wink
1171  2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Welcome to 2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Re: Channeling from the Pleiadians.. on: September 12, 2010, 04:06:00
Hmm...

Well, I suppose it might be like this:

Consider a society of gorillas. Sometimes people come in contact with them, very occasionally, but mostly people just leave them alone. They are not particularly interesting, except as a novelty. Besides, it is their right to be left alone, and to do as they please, and to live their lives unmolested, doing gorilla things.

Gorillas are capable of learning basic forms of human language, and a couple in captivity have been taught to communicate thusly. But no one is going out and teaching entire societies of gorillas sign-language, or giving them pieces of human technology, or dressing them up in human clothing. Where would it get them? They are capable of living this way, but would not do so naturally, and probably would not really benefit from it. It does not suit or interest them, so people leave them alone... to do gorilla things, as they would anyhow.

Does this make sense?
1172  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Senate Bill 510 - A Preview on: September 12, 2010, 01:09:31
Not far from the truth. It has been wittled away through the Regan years and later. The FDA seems to have no standards at all for what it will pass today.
1173  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Re: My dream guide on: September 11, 2010, 23:10:18
Lol.

Not gonna ask how you narrowed the search thusly.

Just curious though... do you read the responses to your posts? Just post a reply if so wink
1174  2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Welcome to 2012 and The Transition of the Ages / Re: History and Celestial Time on: September 11, 2010, 22:37:41
It makes sense that many civilizations might think that, however; There are only so many choices about how to think about sequential time. The two big ones are cyclical periods, and complete linearity. The Abrahamic religions are all linear- they believe in a creation point, and in an eschaton to end things.

If you don't think of there being a begining or an end to time, then either you must think of time as being cyclical, or else imagine that every moment in time will be different from every other before, or at the very least that events have no pattern at all, and this is somewhat counter-intuitive, since there are forces in the universe that ensure that certain patterns are upheld, such as gravitational orbit.

Another rational reason for surmising that time might be cyclical is scaling up from smaller scale measurements of time. Days, seasons, years, solar-system relationships in planetary alignment, and the procession of the equinoxes all happen in cycles. It is only natural for a mathematical Hindu mind to think that perhaps these cycles, in many scales, are themselves units in even greater cycles, which are themselves units in ever larger cycles.
1175  Psychic and Paranormal / Welcome to Psychic and Paranormal! / Re: Question i need help with:Immortality on: September 10, 2010, 01:57:16
Hard to say whether that is true or not. Depends on whether you mean think of yourself as your awareness, or as your personal identity,which is defined by memories, habits of thought, and perspective.

It seems pretty likely that self as awareness may be immortal, while self as personal identity may die with the body. After death, you will likely still exist in some form, but will forever lose the perspective you have now. You will be you, but not you at the same time. Sort of like a person who, for some reason is always attached to a bicycle. When they are finally seperated from it years later, they will still exist, but they will not feel like the same person, as they will have gained some abilities and sensations, and lost others. Imagine this change, only with perspective and cognitive apparatus substituted for bicycle. You will gain some abilities and sensations, and will lose others.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 73