The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

Please note that due to the amount of spam posts we have been receiving over the past few months, we have switched Registration to require you to be approved by a moderator.  We will go through the approval list as often as we can, but if it's been 24 hours and you haven't been Approved yet or you've received a rejection email, please email myself or one of the moderators immediately so we may correct the application.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 25, 2014, 20:41:59

Login with username, password and session length

Show Posts
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 74
151  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Tom Campbell, Free Will & The Afterlife on: April 27, 2014, 23:47:42
To be an aware unit of consciousness, free will is required.

I disagree with this bit. Why would this necessarily be the case?

Usually in philosophy, if you want to engage with a thesis like that, you would employ "thought experiments" in support, and in argument against.

Therefore, lets think of exceptions. What would an aware unit of consciousness be that lacked free will? I think I would define that entity as a "perspective". A perspective would be viewing events from a vantage point, but have no control over outcomes, like a sort of viewer, or non-participant. The perspective might be able to reason with itself, form theories or expectations, and in fact would have all of characteristics of what I would expect a "consciousness" to have. Or maybe it might lack some of those features. "Perspective-minus" would have sensory experiences, but not conduct any personal thought or analysis about them. It would be a pure "experiencer". 

Now I can think of answers to this argument I have raised, but I am curious to see what your response might be, so I won't spoil it  wink

152  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Tom Campbell, Free Will & The Afterlife on: April 27, 2014, 19:28:28
I can think of reasons why Tom might believe that. I personally think that our time in physical lives is incredibly important, and that we would regret squandering it, especially for the opportunities it gives us to know others in a very special way.

I can't think of a time he said it, but I can picture it. Could you find a good example in one of his talks? That might provide more context to discuss the idea.
153  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Projection Experiences! / Re: What exactly are Scamps? on: April 26, 2014, 01:05:37
Maybe a little of both. It really is hard to tell your own creations from things you didn't author, at least for me. "Scamp" was just his term though... it is a general word for a playful childlike thing.
154  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Do you think this forum is carefully watched by intelligence agencies? on: April 25, 2014, 14:17:04
We are watched? I not trying to come across as rude or too blunt or whatever but come on just get real! do you really think they care?

It is important to consider that we are dealing not with the wills and interests of individuals, but with a largely automated system. It will monitor whatever its parameters tell it to.

A lot of this has to do with the increasing power and storage capacity of computers today. It isn't so much that they have an interest in particular sites or individuals for the most part (although in a few cases they do, but not here in particular I would guess), it is that the monitoring and storage is costing them less and less, so there is the tendency to monitor and store everything they possibly can, on the offchance that some of it may be useful later. Combine dramatically more powerful computing with some of the largest, near bottomless policing and defense budgets in the history of the world, and this surveillance program is a near certainty in dozens of countries- in fact in the major players, they rightly reason that not doing it puts them at a tactical disadvantage to those that are doing it, at a certain point in the game. Maybe not now, when they are spending billions to learn things like Mrs. Johnson always buys eggs on Tuesday, but when costs go down a few more orders of magnitude again, to where a group can spend hundreds of thousands to build detailed dossiers on every one of their clients' lifetime purchasing histories, and combine these with their media interests, I think you will start seeing not only governmental but increasingly commercial interests performing data mining like this.
155  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Do you think this forum is carefully watched by intelligence agencies? on: April 24, 2014, 19:52:32
The web in general is watched. How watched do I think this site is? Probably only slightly above normal.

The reason is that any group with a metaphysical or religious orientation (as this group would be labeled by a person with the need to have as few labels as possible in their system) is deemed to be a center of extremism. But then there are A LOT of those groups around. This site is watched mainly by computer algorithms, and very rarely by human inspection, I would surmise.
156  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: Is it a good idea? on: April 23, 2014, 05:08:34
Intention is a powerful thing. If there was a danger before, my feeling is that your intention to visit these places for the good of others will have a lot to do with the outcomes you experience.
157  World Cultures, Traditions and Religions / Welcome to World Cultures, Traditions and Religions! / Re: Mythology Class? Should I Take It? on: April 09, 2014, 07:36:04
Hi Mobian!

As a person who attended a well-regarded university, let me be the first to say that higher education institutions don't hold the monopoly on knowledge. Picking up a book and reading it through will often get you just as far or further, and will set back your wallet three zeros less money. Mythology is one of those classes like that. Pick up Edith Hamilton or Bullfinch's mythologies and have at it! Want to get the perspective you would get in that class? Pick up Joseph Campbell's "Hero with 1000 Faces" series or any number of other psyscho-anthropology oriented authors, and you will literally be reading the ideas that are flowing through the instructor's heads. Nothing of note is usually covered in an undergraduate class that you can't get by simply reading the textbooks, for the most part. Where college is really worth the money is in the area of hands-on experience, certifications, and interacting with your field's authorities.

Now I have taken my share of liberal-arts classes because they were closely connected to my life interests. I took a Chinese philosophy class, for example, and a Russian literature class. In those examples, the instructor was clearly in a position to have more historical context for interpreting the works than I was, and to offer insights as a result that would not have occurred to me. In a situation like that... it is a maybe.

But if in your case a class like that is going to lead to confrontations, I say read the book!
158  Integral Philosophy / Welcome to Integral Philosophy! / Re: Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - on: March 30, 2014, 15:26:01
Krishna was a bit more charitable than you have let on Jordo, he is purported to have said many things such as:

"No one who does good work will ever come to a bad end, either here or in the world to come" (Straight out of the translated Bhagavad Gita)

And Krishna also proclaimed (in a similar way to Siddhartha):

Those who have conquered themselves...live in peace, alike in cold and heat, pleasure and pain, praise and blame...To such people a clod of dirt, a stone, and gold are the same...Because they are impartial, they rise to great heights.

That bit about onions and garlic really amounts to recommendations about how not to eat food that unsettles people; those types of foods were said to be "rajasic", which sort of translates to "kingly pleasures"; the belief was that they are things that people with uncontrolled passions sought after needlessly, lol. If you understand the context of the onion thing, it is actually a statement about not letting your passions control you, rather than actually being about food (despite seeming to be explicitly about food, haha).

At the end of the day, yes Krishna is a figure from the religions of man, and an idea that was conceived of by sadhus, and then taken to mean all manners of things by adherents, as religions tend to do.

I think a lot can be learned from what is written about him (he is far and away my favorite conception of a deity), but then also a lot of nonsense too. You have to be discerning, and so unfortunately the only true path is reason and ethics in my eyes (which the Krishna of the Bhagavad Gita would not condemn, if you actually read it).
159  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: The cholesterol myth on: March 22, 2014, 05:24:38
Oh Snap it's Stookie  cheesy cheesy cheesy
160  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Courtney Brown's Announcement for 15th March on: March 17, 2014, 20:14:30
It will be a loooooong time before we find out what is really under the sphinx. The Egyptians are a proud people and are perfectly happy with the idea that they themselves built everything. Any study that wants to prove anything other than the Egyptians built the pyramids and sphinx will be outright denied and the team will not have access.

They can't really claim ethnic heritage though, because the people who now inhabit Egypt are absolutely not the same bloodline that was there 3-5 thousand years ago. They are no more Ancient Egyptian than I am Native American for living in the US. They can claim geographic occupation, nothing more.
161  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: The cholesterol myth on: March 16, 2014, 01:47:21
I believe that the sun exposure has benefited my physical energy levels, and allowed me to feel a bit more alert. Minor fatigue issues have been with me for at least 15 years. Doctors and I have eliminated obvious things like iron levels or a thyroid issue, and I have formed theories such as D deficiency from time to time. But I do question it. Am I telling myself I feel better than before, or put another way, am I giving myself the order or permission to feel better?
162  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Courtney Brown's Announcement for 15th March on: March 15, 2014, 14:45:13
Don't want to defend him (not at all) and I also did not watch the announcement yet (too disappointed) and if he explains there how he did this RV project. Generally however it is so that they are not being told about the target they view. I watched another documentary by him where he explains things and there were also two RVers who were not told about the target. Normally they get a number or sth. So it is two different people coming up with Egypt and pyramid building and aliens, etc. without having this concept in mind before. As said, not defending his capitalist marketing ploy, just the metodology, which normally allows not for the preconceptualisation you talk about. So this would still be amazing if both of them (or only one) came up with the target (ancient egyptian pyramids) in the first place despite the fact that they were not told about it. And according to him this is how it worked in many other RV projects (see his website for this).

I follow what you are saying, and I do realize that the method they used didn't provide the name of the target or its qualities to the RV'ers but that doesn't remove all the issues. The way I see it, it could well be that the RV'ers tapped into actual data which led them to accurately identify the target, but after the identification was made, their minds added in a lot of superfluous extras that weren't actually there. That is the thing about RV... even for the best, while they are obtaining information that can be verified, they come up with a lot of things that are just patently untrue. If you are dealing with a talented RV'er, you are getting a set of accurate facts intermixed randomly with falsehoods, at around a 1-1 ratio. This is great for many applications: if you are looking for something that is missing, an indication that this thing may very likely be at location A or X is significantly more information than you had to start. On the other hand, if you are doing something like military intelligence (where a lot of RV'ers were once and may still be employed), if you told your curator that you saw the Russians had a facility at X, and they might have a planet-destroying weapon there, or they might be storing salt there, you can see the frustration that would cause, if it couldn't be tested by other means, and the information had to be acted on.

This is one of the latter situations. I have no doubt that a RV'er could identify the target correctly. Our work here makes the reasons for that clear. My issue comes in when Brown tries to claim anything specific they say about that site is incontrovertible, when there is no way to verify it at all. If they had 5 RV'ers, and they all gave a very specific detail like, "The aliens were from the second star in the Orion constellation, and they used ships that relied on an exotic reaction of a mercury alloy", that would be very substantial, since even if there is no way to verify it, the fact that they all provided this unlikely data point is corroborating. From the first video, it is all mundane things, like "there were aliens, and they made the blocks fly". An 8 year old could have said that. In fact, ask 20 different 8 year olds who made the pyramids, and a handful of them will all say aliens made blocks fly.

The data they provided was neither verifiable or highly specific. I believe Brown showed us two talented RV'ers, but I don't believe for the reasons listed we can take his exuberant claims at face value.
163  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Courtney Brown's Announcement for 15th March on: March 15, 2014, 10:28:36
Lol I knew it was lame before it happened, just from the lame art style he employed.

I mean remote viewing is real, and gets real data, but they made this out to be something it wasn't.

Extraterrestrials could very well have helped build the pyramids as he claims... but... two dudes remote viewing it does not "conclusive, incontrevertible proof" make. He is a phD, so he should know enough about psychology to know that once a person has an idea in their head about what they are seeing, and it is something they have seen before, they will bring their own ideas to the table. That is why you can remote view a place like Suriname in South America you have never been to and have no expectations about, and why remote viewing Paris is MUCH harder. You have all sorts of concepts in your head about what Paris is that you will mingle with data you might be getting from outside yourself. As soon as you see giant pyramids in the desert, you know where you are, and a lot of what you might see is what you expect to see. Brown spent literally 30 minutes in that video making an emotional appeal to us that what he did was "science". If it was, he wouldn't have had to tell us so hard it was. It was interesting, but it wasn't really proof lol.
164  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Courtney Brown's Announcement for 15th March on: March 14, 2014, 20:16:05
What if it involves our new alien overlords... maybe some sort of animate sentient cloud people?
165  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Courtney Brown's Announcement for 15th March on: March 14, 2014, 14:59:46

Haha, sorry. I will indeed see what the "PROOF" is later, but I am not holding my breath lol.
166  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Courtney Brown's Announcement for 15th March on: March 14, 2014, 11:18:39
No I found it, he did make a February claim back in January:

http://www.transients.info/2014/01/an-announcement-from-courtney-brown.html

"World changing announcement that won't be recognized at the time"- that is so broad it could be applied to anything lol.

My personal attribution would have been the Kiev hostilities and the Russian response, but then things like that happen every season.
167  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: Courtney Brown's Announcement for 15th March on: March 13, 2014, 21:16:47
Wait... didn't Courtney Brown say that something world changing would happen in February? Is this back tracking, or was that Sylvia Brown or something lol...
168  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Pulse Island! / Re: New possible project similar to Astral Pulse Island but more like Earth on: March 12, 2014, 13:19:44
Creating a working simulation of the earth seems like a task beyond human minds. We don't even have a grasp as a species of nearly everything that is going on on the earth... just think of deep sea vents, lol... we get a peek at those every now and then, and some of them may have never been visited ever. So much more then would an earth simulation be well beyond what a few participants can handle.  API may have worked as well as it has because it is a very small and basic concept without many parts. Saying the success of the API suggests we should manifest an earth simulation is like saying we made a transistor, so building a computer the size of the solar system is the obvious next step.  cheesy

But building another collective thought-form more involved than API may be an interesting exercise.
169  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Projection Experiences! / Re: 7 projections at once?! on: March 11, 2014, 11:36:49
Indeed, I don't see where the danger would creep in, especially since you were taking short interim breaks between.

Sometimes I have had projections that have seemed to last a week or more in the experience, and I end up getting to thinking... wait... am I dead? But so far I am not dead  wink
170  Bug Reports and Questions / Forums Bugs Reports and Questions / Re: Do I need to be approved on: March 07, 2014, 21:09:09
lol.

Verification is the process of checking names when they first register, to weed out spam accounts.

Anyone who can post here has been approved the one and only time they need to be.

You should be good indefinitely  wink
171  Psychic and Paranormal / Welcome to Psychic and Paranormal! / Re: Bathrooms as portals? on: March 06, 2014, 05:37:19
Lol... sure that is orbs you are smelling in the Loo?

I do find showers to be pretty active times though. I like to shower with the lights out because I feel it is very restful for my eyes, and I find the sensory deprivation aspect is also relaxing.
172  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: ever asked your guides in the astral if its real? on: March 04, 2014, 19:32:45
Just in principle, if the projection being's existence is in question, why would you rely on their authority to be sure of the matter lol.

Would you ask a cartoon character the same question? What if they said yes, would that be good enough?

If you ask me, yes it is real, but then you didn't ask me, and rightly. Only you can prove that to yourself, because it is something that has to be experienced.
173  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Re: If you thought your current Weather was bad ... on: March 04, 2014, 17:09:04
The depletion of the Ogallala is going to hit California hard. It is the big aquifer below Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas, and Texas, and it is about to go completely dry. It is at 20% now, and when it is dry it will take centuries to replenish supposedly. The massive agricultural output of the US West is largely built on depleting just that one aquifer. Desal plants can take up some of the difference, but at tremendous cost this moment in time. Unless energy rates go massively down, changing water availability is going to displace tons of people around the world in the next 20 years.
174  Metaphysics / Welcome to Quantum Physics! / Re: How can you not want to know where astral and string theory fit together? on: March 03, 2014, 08:02:55
Hubbard had no compassion for humanity when he carelessly released scientology upon us. He knew very well what he was making.
175  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: How can you prove that OBE isn't just some kind of dream? on: March 02, 2014, 03:31:42
I think Xanth explained my perspective well here. I think they are dreams, but dreams are more significant in some ways than most credit them for. To me, a projection is a dream with high lucidity. Notice that is nearly identical with most people's definition of "Lucid Dream". Projections happen to be a sort of dream where we are primed to receive very special sorts of information in my view.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 74