The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

Please note that due to the amount of spam posts we have been receiving over the past few months, we have switched Registration to require you to be approved by a moderator.  We will go through the approval list as often as we can, but if it's been 24 hours and you haven't been Approved yet or you've received a rejection email, please email myself or one of the moderators immediately so we may correct the application.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. December 18, 2017, 14:41:55

Login with username, password and session length

Show Posts
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 88
51  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Re: Stillwater's Dream Journal on: August 03, 2017, 09:22:47
July 10, 2017:

I am leaving my dormitory at my old university, and I find my way quickly to a path. There is a positive energy all around that is infectious, and also a driving sense of purpose. Everyone has somewhere to be today, and it is the same place. We are all getting there by different means, but by the same path. The image above is a shot near that road I am traveling in the same university, and has more or less all of the same features. Just imagine a wider road, that is winding, and draped with trees, and you've got it.

There are hundreds of people now. People unknown to me, and people I know intimately. People pass on bike and by car as I continue to run. We will be there soon, and we will all meet and gather. A car rolls by, at a slower pace, and someone leans out the window, waving me on- it is a friend. I jump into the rolling car, and it continues on at the same pace, driving off the side of the road. We will be there soon, just another half mile. I feel the wind and light enter me like a life force. The energy is building, almost there, have to keep moving. We will all be there together in a moment. The car stops at the side of the road, dead in its path, and we walk out to the quad.

It is this exact place. The public court extends for another 70 yards behind the vantage in that shot, the building in view commands the space. It is very significant in my life.

The entire area here is filled with a throng of people, with the same anxious energy. Most of them here are very well-dressed, like they came to a public ceremony or a church service. We are walking toward the building now, as we enter the throng of people. Off to the left, suddenly a group of people scream hysterically, as though they had seen something abysmal. We walk over to see what the commotion is, and it is all directed at a cart, with a big placard on it, detailing a happening: a certain student was found dead in her apartment last night, causes unknown. This is not the reason why everyone is gathered here, but rather a shock to everyone. Et in Arcadia Ego, I guess. We walk up the steps into the building, and it isn't how we normally find it. The furniture is arranged differently, to accomodate the movements of a multitude of people today. It isn't long before we are walking through the lobby, and suddenly reality dissolves into solid light, and things fade out moments later.

52  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Re: Selski's Dream Journal on: August 03, 2017, 08:50:08
I remember that song, hehe... one of his better ones... it kind of grabs your attention and holds it... very captivating.

The scene from the dream church actually reminds me of another dream I had about 20 days ago, that I crystalized in my memory, but didn't write down. I should do that now.

I get the recurring places as well... I feel like it has something to do with "dream memory"; we tend to remember things that happened in the state of mind we were in at the time. We remember waking memories while awake, tipsy memories while tipsy, etc. Something about being in the same circumstance connects them in our heads...
53  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: Experienced Astral Travelers on: August 03, 2017, 03:21:56
Hi Eric,

You can pay me, or keep the money (whichever you like), because I am about to help you!

I am going to answer the big question that was implicit between the lines, rather than the one that was asked directly. The video you posted was extremely helpful for this.

This is going to be hard to hear... but forget soul traveling or projection or any of that for a good long while. It is not what you think it is, and it isn't going to be the magic bullet to helping you. Not by a country mile.

The meditation is probably helpful, if you keep it under an hour a day, so that is probably ok to continue.

I am a vegetarian myself, and I find a vegan diet tough too, because of the missing B-vitamins / Iron / vitamin D. I think it is a good thing to be conscious to do as little harm as we can with our diets.

I'd say the first thing you need to do, is to look at your life, and think about what your most meaningful hobby is. What thing would you love to do for 6 hours a day, every day, if someone gave you the chance? Figure out what that thing is, and start doing it for 6 hours a day. If after 2 months like that, you still like that thing as much as at the start, learn everything you can about it. In 3 years, if you really follow this advice, you will be better at that thing than 95% of the people who try it. I mean this for people in general, but for you in particular. You in particular have the potential to be incredibly good at something, and people will pay you very good money to do whatever that thing is. You don't even have to do it forever, because after 4-5 years like that, you will be well enough off to pick a new thing. I can tell this just by seeing you for a couple minutes, and I know I am right about it.

A lot of the problems in your life will start to drift away as you do this.

I can relate to the high school dreams... I have them several times a year too. Usually my version, is that I took an extra class that semester, but forgot what day it met on, and so forgot to go for the whole semester. Going back to highschool to get a second diploma is also one I have on the regular!
54  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Re: Stillwater's Dream Journal on: August 02, 2017, 17:29:52
Yeah that is a little program called "Sketchup", that is pretty simple to use for fast 3D modeling. I use it and a few other CAD-type programs for work, so I had it handy to draw up some references. You could definitely learn to use it quickly, it is pretty intuitive, and by far the easiest of the bunch to use.

You know, thinking back to the highway idea, it really did feel like a crossroads type concept... like everything was all converging to one node.

I had extremely positive feelings about the beach. The sun was bright, but not scorching. There was a wonderful breeze... everyone there was enjoying their existence, and in good spirits. I never touched the water really, but it felt... like being on the edge of the infinite for sure... like an endless mother. It could well be seen in that metaphorical light... like we were all minds wandering on the very edge of individuality and total unity... existing as separate beings, but without any barrier to total connection.

I don't think the word "Connecticut" had any meaning really, beyond something I just recognized. We don't really pronounce it how it looks like it would be spoken in this country... we say "Kah-neh-tih-kut"; most of us forget it is even spelled the way it is, so it is really just a word in this case I think.

Reaching the mountain... that reminds me of an experience I had as a kid. I was walking down the beach with two friends very late at night... maybe midnight. Far in the distance, the green and red of the hotel lights was faint and muddy, sort of blooming in the wet air, and bleeding into the water... it was like a distant seductive dream of fantastic place that we could reach if only we walked far enough. And of course, though we walked for hours, the horizon gets no closer, and we turn back (for how else could that story end). I think even as an adult, when I see something like that, I see more than the place those lights really are... some mundane place like any other... I see some fleeting promise of something profound, that I could reach, if only I walked far enough.

55  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Re: Does individual consciousness survive transition on: August 01, 2017, 22:30:22
hat adds up to a very small amount, if any.

Bingo, lol.

Have you ever had an obe, or a lucid dream?

Course...decades of each (much more lucid dreams, but I consider them to be the same experience, with a different starting method). The striking thing about them is the sense of hyper-reality. The feeling that they are more real than waking life. But I think this is only a feeling... since we are dealing with visions our mind constructs directly with no middleman (our eyes). People tend to take a point of data, and then to extrapolate that point out to proving more than it actually does. For instance, feeling hyper-real does not make the experiences the base reality (Although I do think that it can serve as a medium for having a discourse with the base reality).

On the other hand, science and scientists, that are supposed to rely on "facts", demonstrations, proofs, were repeatedly proven incorrect.

Not every scientist applies scientific reasoning perfectly. Scientific theories are not facts, they are best guesses based on available evidence and proof. Clearly you can be wrong about many things, but then you reject those things if the best current evidence doesn't support them.

But let's look at the reasons why a person applying scientific principles soundly, and without bias can be wrong:

-The data they were relying on was in error, or fabricated by someone, perhaps with their own goals

-The data wasn't precise enough to describe the fuller reality (replacing Newtonian dynamics with relativity)

-They broke a law of logic

None of these things are a refutation of the reasons for using this approach to begin with though. Pointing out that a person committed to using reason and evidence in an unbiased way can sometimes be wrong is like pointing out that shoes can get holes in them... it is sort of missing the point. Just as the fact that shoes can get holes in them doesn't cause you to go barefoot everyplace instead, the idea that a person attempting to use reason and evidence to reason the structure of the world can sometimes be wrong doesn't imply you should stop relying on reason and evidence to test the things you believe.

It is important to point out that the scientific community as a whole doesn't represent science, as strange as that sounds. There is this notion called "scientism", which is the tendency to value the findings or writings of a certain group labeled scientific at the level of revealed religious texts. It is a very unhealthy thing, and it amounts to worshiping the idea of scientific endeavors, rather than actually applying the principles themselves in evaluating the claims. There are plenty of people who commit this error, of course.

But in lieu of reason and evidence, what else would you rely on?
56  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Re: Does individual consciousness survive transition on: August 01, 2017, 15:38:14
What is your own sense of humans individual destiny?

I would suppose a mind wanders from place to place, much as they do in this life. Did I live in Rome in order to live in Pennsylvania, in order to in Virginia, then Belgium, then Virginia again? I think it is more like I was in one place, then another, then another.

If we were not born (or reborn) to the physical plane for the sake of learning, or for lack of a better word, for bettering ourselves, what is the purpose of incarnation?

Who said it had a purpose? Maybe each of us did for our own reasons.

Do you believe in Karma?

Neither believe nor disbelieve- I try not to believe in things I can in no way test or prove.

How can we extrapolate  observable entropy in the physical plane and what happens in the non physical where natural laws do not seem to apply?

When I say nature here, I am using it to describe the nature we know in this existence (and thus natural law would apply to that system only). Technically all of existence would constitute nature, but lets call the stuff beyond this reality frame something like "supernature", or "metanature" for clarity.

57  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Re: Does individual consciousness survive transition on: August 01, 2017, 06:06:25
But natural laws are based on observing nature. Nothing in nature follows that pattern... the stars are slowly decaying away to iron, less useful over time as they go; animals are getting more complex, but no better at surviving- they go extinct at the same rate, and some of the most primitive ones are the best off; evolution doesn't appear to be intrinsically improving creatures, only changing them; the universe tends toward high entropy and low-development as a system. If there was a natural law about improvement, it seems to be its negation: things fall apart to greater and greater degrees the longer you run the system... nothing seems to keep.
58  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Re: Stillwater's Dream Journal on: August 01, 2017, 03:12:14
Yeah two in a row like that, lol... normally they are a lot milder... not sure where those came from.
59  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Re: Does individual consciousness survive transition on: August 01, 2017, 02:42:52
Rejecting the notion of individual perennity would amount to rejecting as well  the notion of one individual's path towards enlightenment or higher self. smiley

What is to say there is such as thing as enlightenment, or that we are on an upward journey, and not just here having experiences?

Enlightenment wouldn't be the first concept from the old religions to be discarded. A lot of folks automatically seem to assume it as foundational that we are here to improve, but on what proof?

I feel like humans naturally have this concept about getting better over time, and we apply that to a lot of places it may not fit, like evolution, for instance.
60  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Re: Does individual consciousness survive transition on: July 31, 2017, 19:38:54
I'd say in a sense yes, and also no.

A huge part of what we consider our waking identity is connected to our physical bodies and its needs and drives. We might retain the same perspective as a being we had, but be totally changed in terms of sense of identity, because all of that is tied up in our life here.

Consider when you play a computer game... you go out and race cars, or fight orcs, or w/e the thing you do in the game involves. When you step away from the game, do you still race cars in your normal life, or fight orcs? Do you think about how great it would be to win the grand prix, or about your character's family members? Do you still have the same goals and desires your game character had? You don't identify with that character at all. You remember being them, but their identity was only a small part of you. I think this is probably similar to that. You retain memories of it all, but you don't identify with this life at all, because you are bigger than that. You don't have the same drives and needs and desires anymore.

This is all speculation on my part, and that goes for what anyone else would tell you, whether they admit it or not, but that is what base reasoning tells me.
61  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Re: Stillwater's Dream Journal on: July 31, 2017, 15:08:33
July 30, 2017:

I am walking down the corridor of a large multiuse-type building, like you might see at a state fairground in the US. The building itself is very drab and utilitarian, and the floor is paved in concrete in all spaces. The hallway is bounded on one side by a colonade of large, regular columns opening into a larger space, and a series of doors and recesses on the other side of the wall. We are searching for a restroom, because we have been driving for quite a while. Someone finds one at the end of the hall, but it is single-person use, and looks not so pleasant. I go off on my own to look for another restroom, and find one at the other side of the hall; it is a large room filled with machines with pay slots, with no one using them. I decide this isn't for me either, and continue walking. I watch a person enter another door, and decide that this must be where the good restroom is. I follow him in, and after a small antechamber, we enter this industrial looking room, that is completely round. It is about 50 meters in diameter, and is open at the other side to a row of columns, like the hall was. In the middle is a smaller cicular section divided in two by a passge through the middle; since this is aligned with the door, it seems like the natural place to walk.

I get 3/4 of the way to the passage through the middle section of the room, when I see something pretty horrifying... it is a bull with its skin flayed partially off, charging in circles around the outer perimeter of the room, looking for people to charge. It feels like this room is purposefully built to avoid the charging bull, since you can position yourself behind one of the middle sections as he is moving around the room. Myself and the other people in the room do this now, and dash to the middle passage as the bull is rounding the other side of the room, but then find it aligned with the passage again, and then about to charge through the middle passge. We then scramble around to the other side of the middle section, and continue back and forth in this way to evade the bull. This is exhausting, and it continues on like this for quite some time.

I seem to pass out from the mounting fatigue of that situation, and wake in a new sequence, in a bed watching television with some friends, and then sort of fade out from there.

62  Spiritual Evolution / Welcome to Spiritual Evolution! / Re: "You Can't Always Get What You Want": intellect or character? on: July 31, 2017, 02:21:54
They are both important, but I value virtue much more than intellect. Intellect is like potential, and virtue / character is in some ways potential realized.

Let's put the question in concrete terms...

Past a certain baseline threshold, would you rather:

-Associate with a person who can solve complex integration problems, and can name  >30 Shakespeare plays, but will manipulate you, steal from you, and sell you down the river to Vietnamese human trafficers should the opportunity arise

-Associate with a person with a basic highschool-level understanding of the world, but who will always tell you the truth, will defend you no matter what happens, and will treat everyone they meet with compassion and respect?

I have no trouble answering that question. I think most people would answer similarly, when phrased in as clear a fashion.
63  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Re: Stillwater's Dream Journal on: July 30, 2017, 23:35:54
July 29, 2017:

This one is a bit graphic, so feel perfectly free to pass on it. I include dreams like this for the sake of capturing the whole spectrum honestly.

Pretty short and to the point. A woman and I are walking through a building. Our intention there is to blast through a certain spot on the ground with a cartoonish bomb. We arive at the spot... it is about a meter square, and made of a different material than the rest of the floor... a sort of softer-looking gray stone. She is about to place the little bomb (picture it as the classic blue orb with a fuse, and that is more or less right), when we spot one of the dogs that belongs to my sister. He is a beautiful Dalmatian, laying serenely on the ground near by. The woman tells me that we might as well get two for the price of one, and blow up the dog as well, since it was time to get rid of him. Strangely this felt like the exact right thing to do in the dream (it goes without saying this is not a choice I could get behind in the waking state), so I nodded approval. She set the bomb, and it went off, and didn't even dent the spot in the floor, but it blew the dog clean in half... part of his spine and some intestines trailing behind him as he crawled across the floor in agony. We were both horrified at the result, and quickly set several more bombs. Each new bomb blew chunks off of him, but he wasn't killed until the 6th or 7th bomb went off beside him. The abject shock and horror of this sequence of events woke me from sleep immediately, and I was quite shaken for a couple minutes after waking.
64  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Re: Stillwater's Dream Journal on: July 28, 2017, 13:18:20
July 27, 2017:

A particularly rich one tonight, with tons of features:

I am viewing, from a disembodied perspective, a version of the map of the United States (my home country). It sort of has some of the features of the actual one. I lived on the east coast for a good portion of my life, so the part that I am focused on is largely made up of east coast states, although they are curiously on the west coast of the map, in more or less the same order going up the coast. Notably though, there is a giant mountain in the top left labeled "Connecticut", lol. This feels natural and right.

A bit of time passes, and I am walking down the side of a road in a coastal area. The place sort of reminds me of junctures where several highways converge, sort of like the famous one in LA:

The major difference is that the junction is right beside the beach, and it is almost entirely absent of cars. I am about to walk off the road to the beach, when a policeman walks up to me; he says, "I think I'd shoot you dead, and drop you off the edge of this bridge... people like you...". I sort of look at him blankly, and say "...huh." I look off to the beach instead, and walk over there.

I am walking on the beach for quite some time, when I see a mountain peaking out at the horizon. I reflect a bit, and say to myself, thinking of the map again... yeah, that must be Connecticut. I walk a bit more, and the mountain gets just a tiny bit closer. I run into an old friend at the beach... she is just hanging out enjoying some time off. We are very glad to see one another. I point to the mountain, and tell her that I think it is Connecticut. She says, "Really?" I tell her I think it is probably about 200 miles out, because mountains tend to look a lot closer than they actually are. I explain that I intend to get there though. I reason it will take about 6-7 days of walking if I keep a good pace (which I am actually capable of, in good conditions in real life... I have managed over 45 miles in single days before). We chat a bit more, and enjoy one another's company, and then I set out to reach Connecticut mountain.

I walk off the beach a bit, now walking beside my father. We are walking through a city environment off the coast a bit. We walk a few blocks, and then I notice that I am barefoot. I must have left my shoes back at the beach with my friend. I reason that I will never make it barefoot, so I tell my father I have to go back for my shoes. He says something about not burdening women, or something like that which I consider quaint, and I don't place much stock in.

I show up again at the beach, and there my shoes are again, waiting with my friend. I set off again, and go walking by a different route, this time through some overgrown dirt path. I run into my brother out there, and tell him about Connecticut mountain, and that I think it is around 200 miles off. He denies this, and says it is only 5 miles away. I tell him this can't be true, that he just can't be right about that. We don't agree about it, and I just continue on.

A bit of time passes, and I walk into a sort of internet cafe place, with only a few computers. I stand at one in the back right, two from the wall. I have a short little vision where I see a person taking a certain disjointed-looking body position at my current console, in order to initiate a kind of trans-dimensional travel. After viewing this, I am standing at the computer console again, and take this same stance. I travel to another reality, and I am in the same cafe, but in another universe or something like that. My friend is there again. She is showing me some pictures of her travels on a computer. I view about 7-8 of them, and then I notice that I need to view a certain one of her pictures in order to travel back to my universe again. I do that, and travel back immediately. Then I take the same stance, and travel back to hers again. I think I am sort of getting a feel for how reliable this method of travel is.

She is back to showing me the pictures. She asks me if I would like to flip through them myself, and I agree to do that. I start flipping through them again, and get very disconcerted, because I am not seeing the same pictures show up again, and I know that I need to view the particular one to return to my universe. I start giving her a comparison about the situation... I tell her how I am comfortable wandering around outside my home, as long as I recognize the road names. I will feel comfortable seeing a few new ones, as long as I am near roads that I know. The further away from roads I can name I get, the less comfortable I am (I am basically telling her to flip through the images again, because I am not comfortable being too far away from images that I recognize, and thus unable to return home via the travel method). She understands, and goes back to the part of the image set I recognize, and I travel back home to my universe.

The rest of the dream takes place in some sort of cabin space, where I am inspecting items in my bag, thinking about whether I may have left something in the other universe, and what effects it may have on that universe.

65  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Re: Stillwater's Dream Journal on: July 25, 2017, 14:30:33
That's a fascinating dream - your attention to detail and dream awareness is of very high quality.

Yeah this one was particularly noteworthy.

Normally the ones I can recall well happen right before I wake up. This is partially because your last of 3-4 sleep cycles at the end of sleep is much longer, and your mind is much more rested; the dreams you may have here can stretch out pretty long, especially if you oversleep by a bit. If I just awake from a long dream late in the sleep cycle, this is generally where I can extract these long and detailed accounts from.

Do you interpret your dreams, or just 'let them be'? I'm curious to what you think this one might mean (if you do indeed try to make sense of them).

I am sort of half and half. I think some dreams may potentially tell us some things about our own psychology, and others may be more chance constructions. With this one in particular, I didn't really get the sense that there was a lot of psychological content (beyond what they normally have), so didn't really reach hard in trying to analyze it.

Probably the most noteworthy thing about dreams for me (and why I make effort to recall and record the more involved ones) is that you can sort of step into a new set of circumstances and have new emotional experiences that you don't have the context to experience in your normal life.

For instance, I will never have a twin in this life. But I could in a dream, and then I immediately have a context for having access to the sort of mental experiences you might have only in that situation.

Making a record of these dreams is sort of like making a record of all of these super novel experiences that it is useful to be able to recall in the future.

And if you don't mind repeating yourself (as I'm sure you've posted this elsewhere/before), what is your technique for the process of transforming an LD to a projection? Do you actively DO something or is it simply a mindset? Curious.

I don't mind at all, especially considering where we are, hehe.

So when I was younger, I very much turned my nose when people spoke about "affirmations". I sort of lumped it in as an extract of "New Age" culture and thinking which was sort of made up and not worth the time, and which everyone was repeating like parrots. I think there is a strong basis of value though behind the idea. If we remind ourselves often that we are focused on a specific goal, our entire consciousness seems to shift more into being in line with valuing it and realizing it. It isn't the saying of it, so much as the intending it. So that is sort of step one... being in a mindset where we are sincerely focused on achieving our goal, and will direct our energy toward that goal. I will often remind myself of this strongly as I am falling off to sleep... I believe this helps to align the subconscious mind with our intention; we are the same consciousness in a dream state as we are when we are waking, afterall. So we find ourself in a dreamstate now, and we have this burning idea in the back of our head about remembering our goal. If we are lucid enough (as in one of those long  sleeping-in sort of dreams I mentioned earlier) the idea will pop into our head again, as it does during the day. But now we suddenly have the idea in the dream state, and the crucial detail for recognizing it is in fact a dream state enters our mind. This is sort of where it goes one of two ways for me. I sometimes come to be in a roused state as a result of this realization, and the excitement of being in a situation that can lead to a projection experience can be enough to sort of wake me up, and I will find myself just talking to myself in my head with my eyes closed (which isn't that bad in itself, because then you can go through a projection routine in that state), or I might slip into a full-fledged projection if I maintain a detached-enough state of mental calm (I don't really differentiate between lucid dreams and projections, as I believe they are the same experience reached by different entry points).

So the basis of the technique... is that it is sort of a non-technique. It consists of an overriding intention which visits our conscious mind often enough that it might enter our sleeping mind as well, and then maintaining a state of detachment necessary to slip smoothly into the projection environment. Pretty simple and unsophisticated!
66  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Stillwater's Dream Journal on: July 24, 2017, 19:02:06
Hi All!

I just realized, after reading the journals of others (especially the newly returned and modded Selski- three cheers!) that I have a pretty exhaustive record of my own dreams, which are often somewhat novel. I might as well start sharing some now!

I generally have very vivid dreams that tell coherent narratives, and which I make a point to retell to myself upon waking. This step is crucial, because it solidifies the memory of the experience. This is also a common technique to perform after projection experiences as well. I think the theory is that the sorts of memories formed when we are outside the waking state tend to get discarded by our brains, but the retelling of the account once awake can serve to then transform it into a waking memory.

Most of the projection experiences I have tend to be launched from lucid dreams as well... this seems to fit my lifestyle best; but this journal will be strictly for the experiences which are closer to classical dreams.

So here is one recent account to start:

------------------------

July 22nd, 2017:

I don't recall the beginning of the dream sequence, but I recall everything from about the 1/3 point onward. I find myself in what feels like an office building (with fairly generous amounts of walking space, and some large open areas on each floor). There are around 40 other people there, all gathered for an impromptu meeting. There is a lot of tension in the air. The people gathered here (including myself) don't feel like the natural inhabitants of this office building. It feels like we all came to be here in an attempt to hide from something. There is one speaker, and he has the air of a person with advanced knowledge of the situation, more than the rest of us had. He explains that if we take on the appearance of the building's normal inhabitants, and appear to be doing tasks appropriate for the setting, we will be safe. It is sort of implied that there are people watching from outside. The impression I get is that they are armed with long-range rifles and have some means of seeing into the building. They aren't only watching this building, but they are particularly vigilant, and will eventually notice when something doesn't look right.

We waste no time in taking positions, and getting into the rhythm of feigning being active at mundane office tasks. The easiest way to do this is to sit at a computer console and tinker with things on the screen. I casually glance around at many others with the same thought, sort of reflecting on how their docile demeanor while tooling around aimlessly at the computers is so comically different from the mental states they must be experiencing. After a bit of this, I sort of grow bored of it, and decide to walk off to see what other simulated office tasks I can take part in. I walk down an open stairwell to the level below, and I pass a person midway down who is curled up into a ball asleep in a small niche in a wall. I immediately think about how this person is failing at the game pretty hard. I don't stop and stare at them (since that would be out of the ordinary, and it would draw attention to the anomaly), but I start asking myself questions. Can they see that person like that from outside? Are they ruining it for everyone? If they are in fact perfectly hidden, did they just manage to opt out of it all, but in a way that will impact no one? Does this mean I could also sleep in that same stairwell later, because it must be perfectly concealed?

The floor below is much like the one above, but with less computers. This floor is fairly dimly lit. There are a few people standing at consoles, doing the same routine as before... a few others having a quiet conversation in a far off corner. I stand at a workspace, and begin slicing stacks of paper with a hand cropping tool. I start thinking about how long the game will work. Will the watchers kill only those who step out of line? Will they attack everyone after they notice something is wrong up here? After about another 15 minutes down here, I walk back up to the floor above again, and pass the person in the stairwell again. I walk around the floor, taking survey of everyone up there... they are at the consoles again, mainly. Everyone with vacant looks... somehow trying to pretend the images they see on the screens interest them in some way. Things went on like this for a bit longer, more-or-less without major incident, just a stream of sameness. I think the dream felt like it lasted for 40 minutes in this narrative, and stayed pretty stable with it.

It all sounds very grim, but that isn't really how I experienced it. I sort of experienced it all in a very detached way, indifferent to a sense of danger. I knew that I ought to act a certain way... but it wasn't really out of fear, so much as just... "Ok, this is how things are here. I will behave accordingly here." The experience I had more than anything was a state of questioning... trying to piece together what the rules of this world were, and how to pursue my own interests by disguising them with convincing enough-cover acts.

67  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: New Old... new? Moderator! :) on: July 23, 2017, 19:01:49
Hmm... looks like my account predated yours by a bit  cheesy

It is the only account of any kind from that far back I still use, lol.

And yeah... that is sort of how you start a religion. Maybe though... we don't prophesy an end date, but... a start date? That might get people thinking...

Start of what? Well that is part of the mystery. It will be partially revealed when you reach Metan level 7, at least...

68  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Re: Selski's Dream Journal on: July 23, 2017, 13:32:34
I really enjoy reading these, keep it up! I should start sharing more of mine here as well... I have VERY vivid ones that I make a point to review and retell to myself when I wake up. You have experiences in dreams that you would have no other place... it is like you get to experience someone else's life for a moment.

I think I'll jump on this bandwagon  cool
69  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: New Old... new? Moderator! :) on: July 22, 2017, 16:59:27
I think it is sort of part of a cycle.

There are peaks when the public is more interested in this stuff. For instance, in the early days of the public internet boom (1997 or so) there was a large uptick in the interest in consciousness studies / metaphysical ideas that happened naturally due to the availability of the material to a new audience, around sites like "Spiritweb". The Pulse sort of sprang up riding that wave.

And then of course there was the 2012 nonsense that got people thinking about metaphysical ideas again, but in sort of a fad mentality, so small uptick again there. There hasn't really been anything since then.

I think the Pulse' membership is falling off a bit due to the manual account registration now, as we do accidentally reject many actual people (as opposed to bots). The ones that are interested despite the difficulty will email me to help them (because I am the first name in the mods list lol); I bet you will now be the first name, since you have the oldest account!
70  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Re: New Old... new? Moderator! :) on: July 22, 2017, 02:24:30
Ages lol. The last time I saw you around, Robert Bruce was still affiliated with the forum. That must be what, 2003?

Welcome back!
71  Metaphysics / Welcome to Quantum Physics! / Re: World Is A Simulation on: July 03, 2017, 04:36:11
In other words, the matter is just numbers.

I think this is sort of a confusion of language. In some sense, the base constituents of the actual matter are pretty evasive; the further down we go, the more structure we see... so lacking any view at substance, we use numbers as representation. But this is very different from saying the matter IS numbers as its identity. It is sort of irresponsible to make that conclusion... more responsible would be to say that the ultimate nature of the material is not known.

We have electrons, protons and all such entities here, that are identical in every way.

This actually isn't true. Every proton and neutron is slightly different. The mass of a nuclear particle changes with the atomic number of of the element in question. This is why it is fairly trivial to perform a chemical reaction, but nuclear reactions require massive shifts of energy inward or outward. The Protons of Helium are a hair smaller than the ones in Hydrogen; part of the mass was burned off as energy in the fusion process.

There would be some constants, some global fixed values, that appear for no obvious reason. E.g. there are physical constants like c or G or h that appear in many equations.

It is pretty strange how arbitrary the universal constants are, no? Or for that matter, what causes them the change slightly over time and space... one of the great mysteries of this world...

Loading of processors can happen when there is a huge amount of data to be crunched. We see such effects near very large bodies, such as stars, where time slows down near their surface because there are too many particles to compute.

This is sort of a stretch... we have a pretty good answer for why time dilates in response to velocity and gravity in relativity, and relativity's predictions hold across many domains.

Statistical nature. Some outcomes are predicted instead of being calculated exactly. This is faster but less accurate. So we have laws of thermodynamics, gas laws or fluid dynamics, probability distributions and uncertainty principle.

This may also be a matter of accuracy. The real events may be so obscure to us that the outcomes APPEAR statistical. There are many other interpretations of quantum behavior, such as Bohmian mechanics, which suggests that quantum events are indeed classically regular and deterministic, and not subject to chance.

--------

I actually don't disagree with the simulation theory on the face of it. There are many strong philosophical reasons to suppose this reality might be a simulation embedded in another reality (which I can get into, if you'd like). I would just caution against taking observations about the world, and bending them to the service of an idea when they don't really fit. It is really hard to avoid confirmation bias when there is concept we are fond of. There are many very good reasons to think this world might be simulated. We don't need to invent new ones to artificially bolster what is already a strong idea.

This is the original claim of non-dual teachings, that are unchallenged since thousands of years.

Both Monisms are more appealing than dualism, I agree. I think idealistic monism (of mind) is an easier position to hold, because it has a lot less explaining to do. It is much easier to explain that a material world can be an idea held by a mind (thus unifying them) then to explain how a material world can give rise to a mind (when they are quite dissimilar).
72  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: What have you learned about the fundamentals of the universe? on: June 27, 2017, 09:41:45
Not really. As an experienced projector, I haven't reached any conclusions. It's a valid addition.  smiley

Agreed.

The main way you learn truths about the universe is through science (and to some extent greater philosophy). It is very difficult to apply any kind of science in a projection experience in most cases, due to the subjective element. You lack repeatability. You lack peer corroboration. You lack peer-review. I would be very skeptical of someone claiming to learn fundamental truths in that environment. You get endless fuel for thought, and get endless glimpses of things which may be. Conclusions are few and far between if you want to be responsible about it. 
73  Dreams / Welcome to Dreams! / Re: Back to College on: June 25, 2017, 20:50:21
Yeah good to see you around again for sure!
74  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Projection Experiences! / Re: What happened that made you realize astral projection is real on: June 23, 2017, 06:01:52
What is real in this context? Helps to know what the goalposts of the question are... because I can think of senses in which it is both real and not real!
75  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Re: sexual fantasies? on: June 12, 2017, 02:49:51
I guess it is like anything. As long as it is consensual, no one is harmed, and it doesn't dominate your mind, it is probably healthy enough.

I think there is is sort of a stigma against sensuality in the context of mysticism and metaphysics. I think it comes from the beginnings of western philosophy, which were rooted in Plato and Christian teachings in dialogue with one another. Plato very much idealized the abstract, and it caused him to view the physical and all that was associated with it as lesser. The early church sort of absorbed this all up, and the emphasis shifted to heavenly rewards and the present world being labeled profane. I think this attitude has carried to the present, and I have a feeling many people here view projection as a means to escaping to a more refined state of existence away from the tainted physical.

But sensuality can also be a very great ally and teacher, if it isn't your master. It is very different in later Hindu philosophy. There is a reason why the theory of chakras places the root sensual chakra as the wellspring which feeds the others. Sensuality can animate us, and be filtered into every facet of our lives as an incredibly positive and constructive force. I think one of the problems is that sensuality is limited to the area of sex in modern thinking, which is very good, but limiting, since it has a strong part to play across our entire lives.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 88