The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

If you wish the join The Astral Pulse, please create an account and then email myself or one of the moderators your username and email address (do not send us your password please) and we will activate your account for you. 
If it's been over 24 hours and you still haven't been approved, please send another email, we are just people too and sometimes we get busy.
http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_astral_chat/member_registration_requiring_approval-t42962.0.html

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. July 17, 2019, 14:44:25

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12 Monkeys  (Read 977 times)
PeacefulWarrior
Astral Energy 5

The best medicine is the display of compassion.

View Profile Email
« on: March 31, 2003, 13:41:43 »

[Sad!][Sad!][Sad!]FINE!  Don't talk about this movie with me!

JK[Cheesy][Cheesy]

We shall not cease from our exploration, and at the end of all our exploring, we shall arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Elliot
---------------
fides quaerens intellectum
PeacefulWarrior
Astral Energy 5

The best medicine is the display of compassion.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003, 05:09:20 »

12 MONKEYS
 CAST & CREW
Bruce Willis, Madeleine Stowe, Brad Pitt
Directed by Terry Gilliam
more...

I recently rented this film and watched it.  I had seen before, about six years ago or so.  What a great film!  I am not a big fan of Hollywood movies, but this is one of the best American studio films that has been released in the last 10 years or so in my opinion (it was released in 1995).

Here is the synopsis:

"In this intriguing science fiction film from director Terry Gilliam, penal colony prisoner James Cole must travel back in time from the year 2035 to find the cause of a virus that killed five billion people in 1997.
Cole's trip into the past won't be easy. For starters, he winds up in the wrong year on his first attempt. Once, as he time-travels, Cole ends up a prisoner in an insane asylum in 1990. There, he meets psychiatrist Kathryn Railly and inmate Jeffrey Goines, who could hold the key to the epidemic's spread. Cole later winds up in the middle of a World War I battlefield.
After meeting James for a second time, in another year, Dr. Railly gets further involved in his quest. Although she thinks at first that Cole must be crazy, Kathryn soon starts to believe him and attempts to help.
But James has already started to question his own sanity and tries to figure out if his journeys through time are real or if he's just been imagining everything."

Visually it's stunning (thanks to Gilliam's amazing direction).  The surreal, chaotic vision of the future juxtaposed to the gritty urban landscape of the mid-nineties is wonderfully compelling.  

Great acting and a mind trip---two things I like a whole lot.  The film kind of reminds me of a mix between, ummmm, A Beautiful Mind and a a sci-fi film noir.  ANYWAY, those of you who have seen it probably know what I am talking about and those of you who haven't seen it I recommend watching it.  Many people didn't like it because they found it hard to understand, but I think most people in here are openminded and intelligent enough to digest it.

-Dan

More facts on the film:
TIDBITS

Released theatrically in New York City and Los Angeles December 27, 1995; released nationwide in the USA January 6, 1996. The film went ape at the box office, grossing $57 million domestically.

12 MONKEYS was inspired by Chris Marker's short film LA JETEE. Marker's work, which is now considered a classic, consists almost completely of still photos, with the exception of one moving image.

A presentation of Atlas/Classico.

Shot on location in Philadelphia and Baltimore.

In DTS Sound.

Additional credits: Vincent Montefusco (special effects mechanical and pyrotechnic engineer) and Shirley Montefusco (special effects project manager).

Rated BBFC 15 by the British Board of Film Classification.

Copyright 1995 Universal City Studios, Inc.

We shall not cease from our exploration, and at the end of all our exploring, we shall arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Elliot
---------------
fides quaerens intellectum
The Astral Pulse
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003, 05:09:20 »

logoVisit the website of Astral Pulse creator Adrian Cooper.

Home of the best selling book Our Ultimate Reality.

Astral Projection, Metaphysics and many other subjects.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: