The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

If you wish the join The Astral Pulse, please create an account and then email myself or one of the moderators your username and email address (do not send us your password please) and we will activate your account for you. 
If it's been over 24 hours and you still haven't been approved, please send another email, we are just people too and sometimes we get busy.
http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_astral_chat/member_registration_requiring_approval-t42962.0.html

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 24, 2019, 15:15:44

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussing the purpose of the brain...  (Read 1806 times)
Tom
« on: March 04, 2003, 21:09:12 »

In astral projection the body is set aside and with it the brain. Some people here have met dead people, and those dead people are not even connected energetically to a brain. The brain and body are nice tools to have, and without using them it is difficult to communicate with the average scientist.
Adrian
Administrator
Astral Energy 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 21:48:57 »

Greetings Gandalf!

I think your conclusions are fundamentally accurate.

The brain is required to control what is a highly complex organic machine - the human body. Thoughts, inspiration etc, originate from outside the brain, and to that extent we are indeed merely receivers of signals from our higher selves, other beings, and of course the causal sphere of the Akasha principle where everything is recorded.

Intelligence and individuality are both attributes of the immortal Spirit, and are always retained eternally. Personality on the other hand is a temporal attribute, and is associated with genetics, and other localised influences pertaining to the current life.

As for scientists generally - they are usually staightjacketed into only believing what they have learned in University or their own research,or fits within their own rigid framework of "understanding". They usually reject everything else that is outside this framework for fear that it might disrupt their whole lifes work, or send them into personal chaos and turmoil. In other words it is much easier for them to just have a rigid set of parameters to work within, and to totally reject everything else. I don't have a problem with scientists - I used to be one myself - an organic and physical chemist [Smiley]

With best regards,

Adrian.

Vincit Omnia Veritas
The Astral Pulse
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 21:48:57 »

logoVisit the website of Astral Pulse creator Adrian Cooper.

Home of the best selling book Our Ultimate Reality.

Astral Projection, Metaphysics and many other subjects.

Frank
Astral Energy 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 21:58:05 »

The brain, as such, is a fabulous organ that runs the physical-body.

Yours,
Frank

Gandalf
Astral Energy 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2003, 14:32:39 »

As for scientists generally - they are usually staightjacketed into only believing what they have learned in University or their own research,or fits within their own rigid framework of "understanding". They usually reject everything else that is outside this framework for fear that it might disrupt their whole lifes work, or send them into personal chaos and turmoil.
Adrian
----------------------------------------------------------

I have often heard the argument posed by materialists that people believe in 'paranormal' realities as it provides a form of comfort and security in an otherwise bleak world (often accompanied by a patronising tone!).
Despite the fact that even if this were so, it doesnt actually detract from the question of whether paranormal realites exist, I have found that the exact same argument can be made against materialists themselves; if everything is explainable and understandable then it provides a sense of comfort and security to materialists plus the fact that they can revel in the fact that they are at the pinnacle of evolution and understanding - another source of comfort and security.
Just go and visit a group of scientists. I know a few at university, astronomers no less, who when they are all together discussing their subject (I joined in for the ride) I had the distinct impression that such meetings provided this sence of security that comes from the notion that everything is explainable.

I think at the back of peoples minds are the half-perceived horrors of the wide open abyss of infinity (Lovecraft style cosmic horror) so the sciences provide a safe-house against this; although the lovecraft vision of the unknowable pitiless unicerse is untrue as well IMO, but I think that Lovecraft represents 'the materialists nightmare'.

Regards,
Douglas

"It is to Scotland that we look for our idea of civilisation." -- Voltaire.
Ash
Astral Energy 2

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 17:49:17 »

quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf

They usually reject everything else that is outside this framework for fear that it might disrupt their whole lifes work, or send them into personal chaos and turmoil.
Adrian
----------------------------------------------------------

I have often heard the argument posed by materialists that people believe in 'paranormal' realities as it provides a form of comfort and security in an otherwise bleak world (often accompanied by a patronising tone!).
Douglas

the same can be said for absolutely any belief system. In short, we believe things because they serve us in some way. usually that is to make us feel comfortable. i posted something about this a while back, but the point is "reality" can only be experienced through interpretation of our perceptions. because reality is infinite, our possible perceptions and interpretations of that reality are also infinite. to say that someone holds a belief because it gives them security is totally irrelevant. if you are looking for objective proof, there is none. unless, of course, you believe in objective proof. By that I mean that science believes something is proven if it can be physically measured and duplicated. So any non-physical activity can never be proven. If, on the other hand, you believe something is proven by the fact that you perceived it, then anything perceived is automatically true. You can only judge a belief system from within that belief system.

It's kind of hard for me to explain. does that make any sense?
The Astral Pulse
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 17:49:17 »

Gandalf
Astral Energy 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 21:01:17 »

Since it is the case (IMO) that the mind is indeed separate from the brain, what then is the exact function of the human brain and how much does it contribute to our present state?

The theory I'm running with at the moment is that the brain is the interface between the mind and the body (or more exactly, the material world).. it allows 'us' - the mind to interact via our body with the material world in such a way that would not be possible otherwise. To cope with such a task, the brain would indeed have to be the most sophisticated organic computer ever created, so IMO mind/brain duality doesnt detract from the amazing qualities of the brain at all.

This way, the brain functions like an antenna in that it recieves the signal (conciousness) rather than *originating* the signal.
One analogy I like is the brain as a TV set. It recieves a signal which it then translates and displays acording to its components.
However, this is where science gets it wrong, as it can't measure the 'signal' so it assumes the components *are* the origin.
As an analogy, if you didnt know the concept behind how a tv worked, you might take it apart, map out all its components and come to the conclusion that the sound and pictures eminate from such and such bits and pieces, in effect mis-understanding it completly.

I recently read an article in which scientists produced OBE effects on patients by exposing them to high level magnetic fields. As it had an effect on their brains and produced this effect, the scientists went on to state that OBEs are illusions caused by the brain when subjected to such fields. They went on to say that this was 'bad news for those who think that the mind is separate from the brain'.
However, just because they note the physical effects of OBE and can trigger it, this dosnt 'explain it as a product of the brain'.
In my view, I can see how powerful magnetic fields could indeed trigger a low level OBE, as your mind/brain alignment may be pulled out of sync.

If we say for now that the mind and brain are indeed separate, what influence does the 'receiver' ie the brain have on the final 'display'.. how much are we influenced by genetics etc..
I think there is certainly many factors that our brains do indeed influence, such as memory recall, intelligence (not 'true' intelligence but rather what out brains allow us to maifest) and so on... I suppose you could say that these factors are the software that decide how we operate.

Comments?

Douglas

"It is to Scotland that we look for our idea of civilisation." -- Voltaire.
The Astral Pulse

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: