T Lobsang Rampa

(1/3) > >>

llasa:
T. Lobsang Rampa is the kind of crank that gives serious students of the Paranormal, like me, a pain.  So, once and for all, can we please put his ghost, he died in 1981,to rest.  

In the mid 1950's a series of books appeared in England and the US purporting to be by a Tibetian priest called Rampa and claiming that he had been given supernormal powers by undergoing an operation on his forehead to open a'Third Eye'(the title of his first book.

Descrepancies in the book spotted by several experts onTibetann culture, including no less a person than the brother of the present Dalahi Lama, led to an investigation which resulted in Tuesday Lobsang Rampa the lama from Lhasa being exposed as Cyril Henry Hoskins the plumber's mate from Devon.  

That should have finished the matter but no, in his third book 'The Rampa Story' Hoskins claimed that his body had been taken over by the spirit of Rampa and he continued to claim this until the day of his death.

shaman:
Tuesday Lobsang Rampa,

for the normal people, it is just another of these science fiction books, which are put on the same side of the shelve with the books of R. Bruce. For the "more qualified" people dealing with OBE, they don't really like him, and I am not even sure why.

Anyhow, I was just a kid when my older brother got these books of Rampa (that was 30 years ago). Whether all that is true or not does not matter to me, as of course none can also answer whether the astral is real or not. No scientific proof has been established, so that it is non sens to discredit Rampa, while all the other books on the topics have also not been scientifically validated, but neither refuted I must add. I think one of the reasons the books of Rampa (and I am writting the books of Ramp, not Rampa himself) are important is because they introduced quite early (60s) the culture and practices of the Thibetans to a world that did not move an inch to stop the invasion of Thibet by China. Not only did Tuesday Rampa told about the astral realm, he also told about the cruelty of the chinese when they invade Thibet (and they are still there!!). So, to be short, I would say that even if all what is in his books is not true, it has at least pushed the people in the western world to have a look at what was happening in Thibet, militarily and spiritually speaking. As to the person himself, he is supposedly a thibetan monk who, because his physical body has been badly damaged, though he still had to accomplish on this planet, got re-incarnated in the body of a grown up (the plumber).

I must thank Tuesday Rampa for his books, as I enjoyed reading them and I learned a few true things from there.

One of his books is telling about the death of his brother as a child (in Thibet), it is also telling about his early childhood, the invasion of Thibet by the Chinese Army... I also remember the story of him coming to Vencouvert I think, not sure. He got crashed by a car on purpose to steal him his belongings. He also tells of the story of the plumber first falling from a tree (?) and having an accidental OBE and meeting with those who suggest him to give his physical body to Tuesday. And then he tells the story of the plumber who has a hard time to live with a wife, as a Thibetan he never did before, etc.... Anyhow, I think you can learn things from the book, even if you believe it is not true. As I said, Science has not proven any of all the stuff here on this forum to be true.... so it is up to you.

padawan:
I read one of his books, The Third Eye, and I found it most inspiring. At that time, I felt his story to be true and convincing.  I was very young then and that book came to me under rather mysterious curcumstances; although some known lamas discredited Rampa, his book greatly influenced my future interests in paranormal, Tibetian culture and religion, and for that I give him full credit.

Shirley:

I have only just read this thread and am delighted others remember Lobsang Rampa's books. It was over twenty years ago that I read a number of his books and much of the details in his books are now lost to me.However, they entranced me and I came across them quite by chance and quite mysteriously. There is a semi-realism to his work reminiscent to me of some of Castenadas' books and Ouspensky's 'In Search of the Miraculous' (in which we describes his years with Gurdjieff). Highly subjective and speculative pieces of work and very helpful to those looking for alternatives views on living. All of them I feel are special books that live in some expanded reality. I just cannot explain them at all and yet feel that there are truths and realizations and I do not consider them fictional. Personally, I loved Rampa's books but can appreciate why someone may be dismissive about them. Not me however :-).

jnsn:
I think the books by t.lobsang rampa and others like the ones by c. castaneda, ect.- contain stories that the author completly make up in order to put their knowledge into. Alot of the books become more interesting in the way they are presented. Instead of writing how-to books, they crate an intersting story to grab our attention and present the knowledge in new ways. People have been using stories to impart knowledge to people for as long as men have walked the earth.
  The problem is once a man crates an intersting story about himself he has to live as if that kn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page