The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

If you wish the join The Astral Pulse, please create an account and then email myself or one of the moderators your username and email address (do not send us your password please) and we will activate your account for you. 
If it's been over 24 hours and you still haven't been approved, please send another email, we are just people too and sometimes we get busy.
http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_astral_chat/member_registration_requiring_approval-t42962.0.html

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 21, 2019, 08:55:26

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting past "can't"  (Read 1858 times)
James S
Astral Energy 5

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2002, 07:37:17 »

Tisha (and all),

Here's an interesting little p-sychological (anybody remember the Animaniacs?)fact for you. Something my wife learned in her psych course at uni.

We humans invented "can'ts". It's something we had to learn to do. The subconscious mind, and the basic conscious mind we were born with, cannot process negatives. We had to learn that ourselves. The subconscious mind still cannot work with "don'ts" and "can'ts"

As proof - here's a little test:

In your mind DON'T picture the Empire State Building.

What was the very first thing you pictured when you read that?
QED!

It seems a very simple test, but it is a fact.
Ok, so now we know that negatives aren't natural to our minds way of thinking, that we had to learn them, how do we UN-learn them?

Tisha, well done, and thankyou for sharing this POSITIVE food for thought!

James S

- You don't choose the belief, the belief chooses you!

Frank
Astral Energy 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2002, 09:03:42 »

quote:
Originally posted by James S:
As proof - here's a little test:
In your mind DON'T picture the Empire State Building.
What was the very first thing you pictured when you read that?

Blackpool tower. Smiley

Yours,
Frank

The Astral Pulse
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2002, 09:03:42 »

logoVisit the website of Astral Pulse creator Adrian Cooper.

Home of the best selling book Our Ultimate Reality.

Astral Projection, Metaphysics and many other subjects.

James S
Astral Energy 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2002, 09:18:01 »

Either this test works better on Americans or you just have no imagination Frank.http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/images/icon_Smile.gif" border=0>

James S

James S
Astral Energy 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2002, 09:29:29 »

P.S.

My wife (who comes from Yorkshire by the way), says well done Frank. She knows Blackpool tower and tells me it bares no resemblance.

James S

Tia
Astral Energy 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2002, 09:46:39 »

Great post, just what I need to start my day with - thanks.

The Astral Pulse
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2002, 09:46:39 »

Meg
Astral Energy 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2002, 10:50:20 »

Tisha, thank you for the lovely post!

I'd chuck in your quote re: @#%# ups, but I haven't worked out how to do it. Anyway, do you know.. Those people are one of the reasons I've resisted really investigating my ability to OBE for such a long time. Part of me has always had this tendency to go "If I try this, I'll be like those doofus-heads."

I read the infamous "Artist's Way" recently, and it talks a lot about this concept...the idea we have that people who are artists are: crazy/totally ungrounded/addictive personalites/whatever. Having been pretty heavily involved with a lot of "poets" (note inverted commas) over the last few years, I can see the reason.

Anyway, a huge part of my journey recently has been to go.. "No, I can be a writer, OBEer, everything else and still be a positive, and most importantly, grounded person."

Getting over the CAN'T.

Meg

"...listening like the orange tree..."  - John Shaw Neilson

http://journeytothecentre.blogspot.com
Tisha
Astral Energy 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2002, 21:48:25 »

Ahh, the landscaping guy is operating the weed-whacker behind my townhome and it is bringing back memories of my most recent vibrational state . . . . . . brpbrpbrpbrp . . . . http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/images/icon_Smile_cool.gif" border=0>

Anyway!  You might wonder why I chose to post this topic here because on the surface this has nothing to do with OBE.  Because it has everything to do with OBE.

I just finished a statistics course and passed with flying colors. I had been given six months to complete it, and I finished it in one month.  If it weren't for the fact that I USED TO THINK I had math anxiety, this would seem no big deal.  But it's a HUGE deal.  Tisha just did MATH.

Tisha also did a minor renovation in her house, using a kit with a zillion parts.  I'm the person who holds the road map upside down, folks!  It took twice as long as a professional would have taken had I paid him/her, but hey I DID IT!  And I can operate power tools now.

We all have "can't" in our heads . . . "can'ts" about things that make no rational sense, such as I can't talk to people. I can't fix my car.  I can't succeed at relationships. Can't hold a job.  Can't make enough money.  BLAH BLAH BLAH.  Every one of you has this voice, and it is getting in the way of your ability to OBE.  

Or, if you CAN have OBEs with regularity, your "can'ts" may be causing emotional loops and bad experiences.  I remember a powerful lucid dream/OBE where I was talking to two guides (?) and they were giving me some important guidance about how to do something.  It included vocalizing three "tones" to unlock something. All I could think was "I can't sing, I can't remember the keys, I can't I can't I can't . . . " The dream faded with them looking at me disappointedly.

Now that I've crossed "math anxiety" and "all thumbs" off my lists of personal deficits, I'm on to the next thing.  I have plenty to choose from, from learning to sing to getting back in shape to achieving wealth and prosperity.

This is not about becoming experts at everything.  It's about being competent, about approaching life from an "I CAN !" kind of attitude.  You only have to prove that you can do something once to know that you can do it.  Competence brings personal power, and it has a snowball effect.  Once triumph leads to another and to another.

After all, REAL sorcerer/shamans are powerful people.  They are not the f*^%-ups you meet 'round town who claim vast magical powers but who can't seem to get their lives together. They might have some psychic ability, but they're not doing much with it.  

Following the "as above, so below" concept, know that your competence in otherworldy matters is a direct reflection of your competency in the earthly realm.  Your daily life is your training ground, folks.  What are you doing to get past "can't?"  

Tisha

"As Above, So Below"

Tisha
The Astral Pulse

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: