The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

If you wish the join The Astral Pulse, please create an account and then email myself or one of the moderators your username and email address (do not send us your password please) and we will activate your account for you. 
If it's been over 24 hours and you still haven't been approved, please send another email, we are just people too and sometimes we get busy.
http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_astral_chat/member_registration_requiring_approval-t42962.0.html

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. July 09, 2020, 03:48:26

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where does science stand on AP/OBE?  (Read 2002 times)
Milkdrops
Astral Energy 2

View Profile Email
« on: May 21, 2007, 04:32:54 »

I was wondering if anyone could tell me (as basic as possible) where science stands with the whole OBE/AP thing.

In short: does science accept it?

I have tried to find a basic answer but seems I cant. Can anyone tell me if science genuinely agrees that its all possible and if its the soul leaving the body or weither science thinks its all some sort of hallucination. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Awakened_Mind
Astral Energy 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 04:45:10 »

To be blunt, science doesn't believe in much that can't be hit with a hammer. This issue of science gets discussed a lot. Since OBE are an individual experience, whether shared by many or not does not make them directly observable. It is important to realise that science is a tool in our civilisation, not a God. Everything from mechanical physics to telekinisis need not be placed at the feet of science and given the thumbs up or thumbs down.

There are new areas of study such as 'parapsychology' which are studying the field. In my oppinion there will be some field of study invovled with both parapsychology and paraphysics.

-AM

Truth exists beyond the dimension of thought.
The Astral Pulse
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 04:45:10 »

logoVisit the website of Astral Pulse creator Adrian Cooper.

Home of the best selling book Our Ultimate Reality.

Astral Projection, Metaphysics and many other subjects.

MisterJingo
Astral Energy 5

44977578 misterjingo misterjingo
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 06:17:05 »

Science doesn’t stand either way on OBE/AP as there are currently no tangible elements of this phenomenon to study outside of its psychological and philosophical implications. Science deals with what can be measured, and as yet, nothing in the OBE sphere can be measured directly.
It might not always be this way, but until whatever physical mechanisms involved in OBE can actually be detected in some way (anything which acts on the physical body or mind must have also have a physical mode of action – even if it is undetectable as yet) then we are stuck with indirect measurements such as number reading while OBE etc.
Scientists might have viewpoints regarding  these phenomenon, but science as it stands is purely impartial to it.
James S
Astral Energy 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 09:51:39 »

Give it a little time and I believe science might be able to produce a theoretically sound reason for it.

Already there have been huge leaps forward in the realms of Quantum Physics and neurology that have lead theoretical physicists and doctors to accept aspects of what used to only be purely spiritual beliefs.

I believe it'll come. Its just going to take one or two noted scientists to be curious enough about it to look at AP in the right way and "find" something that bears scientific weight.

Milkdrops
Astral Energy 2

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 12:06:28 »

To see what its all about, a scientist should have an OBE. I cant think of better proof than someone being there themself.
The Astral Pulse
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 12:06:28 »

MisterJingo
Astral Energy 5

44977578 misterjingo misterjingo
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 14:22:28 »

To see what its all about, a scientist should have an OBE. I cant think of better proof than someone being there themself.

As far as proof goes, singular personal experience which cannot be reproduced by others is very poor.
Personal experience is fraught with ambiguities many of which might be self created from belief system, desires or self-delusion (confabulation). Just by reading many accounts of others astral experiences shows how radically different each person’s experience of the astral is - especially when they filter those experiences through personal belief systems and consequently build philosophies of self and reality based upon them.
The only way proof (outside of personal belief based upon experience) of the astral will come about is to study either direct results from projection (people meeting, reading things remotely, seeing actions of others remotely etc) or to discover the mechanisms behind projection itself. As James said above, science is moving into some very exciting areas, so we might have glimpses of such proof in the not too distant future.
The Astral Pulse

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: