The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

Please note that due to the amount of spam posts we have been receiving over the past few months, we have switched Registration to require you to be approved by a moderator.  We will go through the approval list as often as we can, but if it's been 24 hours and you haven't been Approved yet or you've received a rejection email, please email myself or one of the moderators immediately so we may correct the application.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. July 23, 2014, 23:04:45

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does my body shake when I go to sleep?  (Read 9442 times)
Gbob
Astral Energy 3

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2010, 13:58:54 »

I've recently noticed this a few times now. Usually my mind is very active at night and I can't get to sleep naturally, I have to shut my mind off and sort of drift into meditation in order to get to sleep. After a while, say around 20 minutes if my mind is still awake my physical (I assume it's my physical) body shakes very briefly. It's sort of like that falling feeling you get when you're tired and your body shakes out of fear...except I don't experience a falling feeling, it just shakes. Quite a few times I have thought that perhaps I have finally managed to consciously exit, so I move my body but I am still in my physical body. Nothing happens.

Why does this happen and does it indicate anything towards astral projection?

Thank you

*edit* it's not vibrations.
personalreality
Astral Energy 5

Something Profound

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 14:45:48 »

It could.  There are all kinds of odd sensations that occur when your perspective shifts.  Even if it's just shifting to a dream, it's still making a 180 turn towards the realm of imagination.

"...but the universe is a slippery fish"

Projecting Consciousness - My Projection Journal

Shades.Of.Consciousness - Consciousness & The Human Condition
Psan
Astral Energy 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 20:53:23 »

Why does this happen and does it indicate anything towards astral projection?

Thank you

*edit* it's not vibrations.

IMO, these are vibrations. They come in many flavors. From mild electrical buzz to slow earthquake like sensations. It is nothing to worry about. It happens every night to every one. You have simply witnessed it consciously. It is a part of sleep process, when the brain cuts off its sensory-motor connections and puts body into sleep paralysis. Now you are free to go out and explore.

Somewhat like taking a natural red pill.
The Astral Pulse
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 20:53:23 »

Gbob
Astral Energy 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 22:36:34 »

IMO, these are vibrations. They come in many flavors. From mild electrical buzz to slow earthquake like sensations. It is nothing to worry about. It happens every night to every one. You have simply witnessed it consciously. It is a part of sleep process, when the brain cuts off its sensory-motor connections and puts body into sleep paralysis. Now you are free to go out and explore.

Somewhat like taking a natural red pill.

Ok well they're not the ones I've been used to in the past? The ones  in the past weren't shakes but actually felt like vibrations for a few moments.

So even though I got this vibration it doesn't mean my body's asleep yet. How do I know how long it will take after the 'vibrations' to get to sleep paralysis? I'm always too eager to move my body as soon as I experience them.
Psan
Astral Energy 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 21:28:47 »

Well, I'm sorry, I read your post again and it says your physical body shakes.
So these are not vibrations in any way, its called hypnagogic jerks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

Sorry for the confusion. Anyway, nothing to worry about them. It means you are lightly asleep (not very conscious) and fallen into dreaming instead of projecting. This jerk will surely bring you back Cheesy

You need to stay more aware as you fall asleep and prevent dreams from taking over.

Xanth
Administrator
Astral Energy 5

Kitten of Terror says MEOW!!!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 21:37:37 »

Well, I'm sorry, I read your post again and it says your physical body shakes.
So these are not vibrations in any way, its called hypnagogic jerks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

Sorry for the confusion. Anyway, nothing to worry about them. It means you are lightly asleep (not very conscious) and fallen into dreaming instead of projecting. This jerk will surely bring you back Cheesy

You need to stay more aware as you fall asleep and prevent dreams from taking over.
I can personally attest that they are quite annoying. LOL

The Astral Pulse
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 21:37:37 »

omcasey
Astral Energy 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 04:50:49 »

Depending on a handful of things it could also be a kundalini kriya.

The smaller your reality the more convinced you are you know everything.
Xanth
Administrator
Astral Energy 5

Kitten of Terror says MEOW!!!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 04:59:25 »

Depending on a handful of things it could also be a kundalini kriya.
A rarity... but yes, one can't rule anything out at this stage.  Smiley

justin35ll
Astral Energy 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 05:32:23 »

I don't know if this is the same thing you experience, but if I lay down or close my eyes for 20 minutes to a half hour and fall into a light sleep and then get up my body feels like it is shaking back and forth slowly for about 10 - 15 seconds.
Only happens after light naps like that though
radman32
Astral Energy 3

Learn It Forwards, and then Learn It Backwards.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 20:39:03 »

i've had this sensation too. I believe it's a mechanism, just like the whole obe process. Does this jerk throw off your whole obe night routine? I utilize it, use it as a landmark. When I'm at that stage, I've usually had all my other hipnagogic symptoms, and is very out of it. That's usually where it lasts to though.
I haven't been able to go obe yet. I hope to project soon, and feel like once my life clears up some time soon that I'll achieve this; I want to try meditating during the day, outside, where it's peaceful.
Synune
Astral Energy 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 15:38:04 »

I've experienced this shaking as well and I now know it's different from the vibrations as I've had those also. I think it could by hypnogogic as was mentioned however the possibility of it being some form of chakrabuilding is possible too. I've induced an adrenaline rush this way and didn't suffer the fear associated with it. When you experience the shaking, do you feel your body involuntarily lifting you off the bed?
The Astral Pulse

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: