The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

Please note that due to the amount of spam posts we have been receiving over the past few months, we have switched Registration to require you to be approved by a moderator.  We will go through the approval list as often as we can, but if it's been 24 hours and you haven't been Approved yet or you've received a rejection email, please email myself or one of the moderators immediately so we may correct the application.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. December 16, 2017, 11:14:39

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "You Can't Always Get What You Want": intellect or character?  (Read 442 times)
baro-san
Astral Energy 3

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2017, 19:04:38 »

As the Stones were saying: "you can't always get what you want" ...

So when you're choosing your mate, friends, companions, working place, what would you favor: better intellect, or better character? Where would you draw the line?

When I was younger I favored intellect, but experience made me change my mind.

I think that both, intellect and character, are combinations of mind and genetics, flavored with education, child rearing, cultural environment, but it seems that intellect is more genetics than character is.

---
“Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted, but to weigh and consider.”
- Sir Francis Bacon
Nameless
Global Moderator
Astral Energy 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 23:51:40 »

I prefer a broad mix or intellect and character. It has yet to be proven to me what constitutes intellect exactly. And character well that ones also subjective.

You may never have proof of your importance but you are more important than you think. There are always those who couldn’t do without you. The rub is that you don’t always know who- Robert Fulgham
The Astral Pulse
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 23:51:40 »

logoVisit the website of Astral Pulse creator Adrian Cooper.

Home of the best selling book Our Ultimate Reality.

Astral Projection, Metaphysics and many other subjects.

Xanth
Administrator
Astral Energy 5

Kitten of Terror says MEOW!!!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 01:25:03 »

As Freud would probably say... sometimes a song, is just a song.  Smiley

For people who I want to spend my time with, I look for people who "get it".

baro-san
Astral Energy 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 02:51:41 »

Boole's 00, 01, 10, 11

I guess you don't value so much what you have and long for what you don't, until you lost what you had, and start appreciate it.

---
“Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted, but to weigh and consider.”
- Sir Francis Bacon
ThaomasOfGrey
Global Moderator
Astral Energy 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 03:50:37 »

Different paths suit different people, path of learning and knowledge, path of faith, path of giving. Character is more of a reflection of the current quality and understanding of the individual but makes no guarantee on the potential for further growth. Intellect on the other hand is arguably a more powerful long term strategy as it allows new logical information to be quickly assimilated for growth. Pick the kind of people you have the capability to help and learn from based on the path that suits you. For me I learn from and am good at teaching new ideas to intellectuals.
The Astral Pulse
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 03:50:37 »

Stillwater
Global Moderator
Astral Energy 5

IntangibleDust
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 02:21:54 »

They are both important, but I value virtue much more than intellect. Intellect is like potential, and virtue / character is in some ways potential realized.

Let's put the question in concrete terms...

Past a certain baseline threshold, would you rather:

-Associate with a person who can solve complex integration problems, and can name  >30 Shakespeare plays, but will manipulate you, steal from you, and sell you down the river to Vietnamese human trafficers should the opportunity arise

-Associate with a person with a basic highschool-level understanding of the world, but who will always tell you the truth, will defend you no matter what happens, and will treat everyone they meet with compassion and respect?

I have no trouble answering that question. I think most people would answer similarly, when phrased in as clear a fashion.

"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic
baro-san
Astral Energy 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 03:56:23 »

They are both important, but I value virtue much more than intellect. Intellect is like potential, and virtue / character is in some ways potential realized.

-Associate with a person who can solve complex integration problems, and can name  >30 Shakespeare plays, but will manipulate you, steal from you, and sell you down the river to Vietnamese human trafficers should the opportunity arise

-Associate with a person with a basic highschool-level understanding of the world, but who will always tell you the truth, will defend you no matter what happens, and will treat everyone they meet with compassion and respect?

I have no trouble answering that question. I think most people would answer similarly, when phrased in as clear a fashion.

Thanks. This is what I was asking ... The other replies didn't address what I meant with my original post.

The question popped in my mind watching my wife.  smiley
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:25:42 by baro-san » Logged

---
- Sir Francis Bacon
Nameless
Global Moderator
Astral Energy 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 01:50:36 »

-Associate with a person who can solve complex integration problems, and can name  >30 Shakespeare plays, but will manipulate you, steal from you, and sell you down the river to Vietnamese human trafficers should the opportunity arise

Yep, this one is a keeper.

You may never have proof of your importance but you are more important than you think. There are always those who couldn’t do without you. The rub is that you don’t always know who- Robert Fulgham
The Astral Pulse

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: