The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

If you wish the join The Astral Pulse, please create an account and then email myself or one of the moderators your username and email address (do not send us your password please) and we will activate your account for you. 
If it's been over 24 hours and you still haven't been approved, please send another email, we are just people too and sometimes we get busy.
http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_astral_chat/member_registration_requiring_approval-t42962.0.html

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 22, 2021, 16:00:24

Login with username, password and session length

Show Posts
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 37
51  Metaphysics / Welcome to Metaphysics! / Prediction for 2005 1st public domain Free Energy machine on: September 09, 2005, 19:25:45
Any news on the progress of this device?
52  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Stephen LaBerge on Coast-to-Coast-AM on: September 09, 2005, 19:12:46
Excellent. Yes, that new one didn't seem at all similar. It's good to have you in this forum.
53  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Danger when OBEing on: September 09, 2005, 19:07:26
It's not possible at all to be harmed in OBEs.

You see that sword in my avatar? It's just for show.
54  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Stephen LaBerge on Coast-to-Coast-AM on: September 06, 2005, 02:32:51
No problem, TheJza! Did you purchase that copy I mentioned? Because as I said, I'm not sure that it was the same thing. If it is then I might buy it instead of digging through my library system for it...
55  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Stephen LaBerge on Coast-to-Coast-AM on: September 05, 2005, 16:23:10
Quote from: manuel
Im not realy a fan of him to be honest, he seems to think (imo) that OOBEs and lucid dreaming is just a product of the brain, am i wrong? please correct me if I am, its just he seems to give off in one of his articles.

He was talking about how physicists are discovering that our universe is far more complex than we ever thought (nonlocality, etc.) and we may be just scratching the surface. "Just a product of the brain," would probably sound funny to him, for he might respond that we don't fully know the brain, much less the universe in which it exists.
56  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Stephen LaBerge on Coast-to-Coast-AM on: September 05, 2005, 01:02:57
Hey everyone.

I fell asleep about halfway through (had some pretty interesting dynamics of lucidity during that time, though). But I listened to it later and, although most of it wasn't new, it was still an interesting program.

He mentions Astral Projection and OBE's, saying that he thinks they're the same as lucid dreaming. The reason why we have such concepts as the "astral plane," he says, is because back in that time we didn't have the concept of a "world model," which is used to create scientific theories. LaBerge associates lucid dreaming with the imagination, such that dreams are actually the result of what happens when our mind creates a model of the world and the relationships our body has with it.

Physicist Russell Targ joins in later on. He's joining with LaBerge to have a workshop in November in Hawaii where they'll teach people to lucid dream and try to have some psychic experiments. Targ used to work on making lasers and stuff, and eventually worked at Stanford to perfect means of remote viewing for the military, until it was disbanded in the mid 90s.

LaBerge notes that remote viewing orginally came out of experiments in dream telepathy, and puts lucid dreaming and RV on a continuum.

Some more information can be found from the links on the Coast to Coast info page.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2005/09/01.html
Experiments in Dreaming

Dr. Stephen LaBerge, the founder of the Lucidity Institute, discussed how lucid dreaming can enhance individual lives. The ability to realize one is in a dream while still in the dream state creates great opportunities for self-development and fulfillment, he said. Lucid dreaming is similar to the Tibetan "yoga of the dream state," which utilizes the experiences as a means to spiritual progress, he added.

LaBerge, who said he has had thousands of lucid dreams, shared a particularly profound one, in which the sports car he was driving became airborne and took to the clouds. His body disappeared upon entering a void that felt like a "homecoming" to the core of our being.

In the last 2 hours, he was joined by physicist and ESP researcher Russell Targ who discussed cases of dream telepathy, in which subjects had their dreams influenced by people mentally sending them specific images. Targ and LaBerge are teaming for a November workshop in Hawaii that will offer programs in both lucid dreaming and remote viewing.

Some nefarious individual also recorded the program and uploaded it to that one Swedish BitTorrent site that is immune to legal problems. How deplorable! I mean just look at it.

http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3379220

Reading LaBerge's books, one being very scientifically rigorous and the other being about dream yoga, one gets the feeling that he is holding back certain feelings about panpsychism and paranormal stuff. It is really interesting to listen to LaBerge speak his mind on experimenting in this area.
57  Astral Chat / Welcome to Astral Chat! / Stephen LaBerge on Coast-to-Coast-AM on: September 02, 2005, 06:45:10
I know this is a rather late post... he's going to be on in about 20 minutes.

(right now that damned Richard C Hoglan is on with someone else saying that Hurricane Katrina was possibly manufactured by the government as a weapon... I just don't understand the sickness of some people)

LaBerge is supposed to be joined later by another guy who is going to talk about dream telepathy. I will try to record it, but since unfortunately sharing it will be illegal, I will try to summarize main points.

(oh this talk about Katrina is just sick... I can't believe I'm listening to this program)
58  Metaphysics / Welcome to Metaphysics! / Channeling God!! on: September 02, 2005, 00:32:49
God? This is very confusing... I hear your words over there in Mustardseed's posts and they sound very impersonal. I did not feel offended or think that I was being aggressive or mocking, just more poignant. So it doesn't seem like we're channeling the same person...

Right. Well there are more than one of us.

Gods?

No. Persons. There are multiple persons in the same God.

Mysterious!

Yes! Well... no. How is it mysterious if you are seeing evidence of it right now?

Oh. Good point.

Well that's what we're here for.

How many persons are there?

Let's see... we have to use our fingers on this one... 6 billion and...

No, no, I mean in God. You know the Catholics say that there are three.

Oh. Does it matter?

Hmm. I suppose it doesn't. 3 or 3 trillion - if they're all the same God, than either way it's impressive.

Aw, you're making us blush.

Seriously! Some of your are pretty hot, too...

That's just your imagination, now.

Oh... sorry :(

Just kidding! Hehe. We have a wicked sense of humor.

Y'all sure do.
59  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / University of Manchester OBE survey on: September 01, 2005, 23:40:54
I just found this article today, from NewScientist. Although not specifically about this survey, it seems appropriately coincidental.

Posted in the News and Media section:
http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20453
60  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / "Most scientific papers are probably wrong" on: September 01, 2005, 23:29:17
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7915

(Emphasis mine)

Most published scientific research papers are wrong, according to a new analysis. Assuming that the new paper is itself correct, problems with experimental and statistical methods mean that there is less than a 50% chance that the results of any randomly chosen scientific paper are true.
61  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Waking Life on: September 01, 2005, 22:13:46
I can't help you with that last question. I've never been able to really follow the various focus models, although I consider them very good attempts and appreciate the efforts of their originators.

What you said about the garden gnomes really made me laugh, though. ;)

Why, just this Tuesday my macroeconomics professor was saying that the book we were using was very "student friendly," although not "completely" student friendly, because if you were completely student friendly then all students would do is party. And he was clearly a good-humored and well-meaning guy... so I had to hold back the insatiable need to launch a tirade against him.

"Students would put you out of a job, if you gave them a chance!" I'd have said!
62  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / University of Manchester OBE survey on: September 01, 2005, 03:47:00
Major Tom, let me say I think you've completely missed the point.

You seem to think that exposing the weaknesses of an idea is a bad thing. This is, however, what scientists do everyday. And they make a living on having as few weaknesses in their ideas as possible. They're constantly making sure things stand up to rigor.

It's unfortunate that you seem to think the content of my concerns are disrespectful. I hope that you did not mean to suggest that the mere act of writing them would be disrespectful, for that would be ludicrous.

It makes it less than surprising me that so few mainstream scientists want nothing to do with people on boards like these.

MajorTom, you're very close to hurting me on this one, because I've been more ardent than anyone on bridging the chasm between science and OBE's. My motivations here are nothing other than that. If you, as a moderator, think I am actually doing the opposite of that, then I should leave. So, will you please clarify for me what is disrespectful?

In either case, these tests are standardized tests that have been tested for validity and reliability in numerous other studies. You can't go changing around the content of an item.

And most other studies in psychology are about mental illness.

Look up 'psychometric theory' if interested in the topic.

Major Tom, you probably wouldn't have said this if you had seen my other posts concerning the modern methods of psyhology. I'll assume you haven't and thus, assume you weren't trying to insult me.
63  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Waking Life on: September 01, 2005, 03:20:19
That quote is a very rough introduction of the fields of study named transhumanism and posthumanism ("neo-human" is a much lesser used variation). If you're interested in reading more, you can find a wealth of literature under these subject headings. In particular, a computer scientist named Ray Kurzweil (also at http://www.kurzweilai.net) named what the speaker above called "telescoping evolution" as the "law of accelerating returns." This idea, however, was previously and still popularly referred under something known as the technological singularity. If you follow that link you will see that the evolution of paradigms, which you were referring to before, follow a uniform power series, displayed on a logarithmic graph.

It has also been pejoratively referred to as "Rapture for nerds."

Do I agree with that last quote? I think so. The real test for me is to see if education systems reform themselves to allow more freedom and self-direction on part of the student. At all levels. Subsequently, the next test, pending that one's success, will be to give children more rights. In America there is a rising trend in the number of public Montessori schools and the Youth Rights movement has had some media attention, which is better than none. So I'm optimistic.

People speak of truth, loyalty, justice, and freedom, and seem to completely ignore the crimes against these we commit everyday to our children.  

That said, Welcome to the forum! If you suspect that others in the forum may have already discussed the topic you're thinking of, please use the search function above. Waking Life was a popular subject for a while, and you'll find that I really didn't like it. ;)
64  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / University of Manchester OBE survey on: September 01, 2005, 02:43:01
Beth, I hadn't noticed that about the lying question! I, too, thought it was weird, but you're right. It is curious... couldn't a researcher reasonably assume that the rest of the questionnaires were filled with lies, depending on that answer? Negating the information's usefulness?

Adrian, thank you for relaying that correspondence! I was already considering writing to them, but particularly to this so-called psychological testing ethics board. Your post caused me to rethink that and now I will most certainly write them both.

What we are interested in are the daily bodily experiences of people who do and don't have OBEs and how they may differ.

Then they need to make that "daily" distinction clear, by forming the questions in a way that explicitly communicates that they want information about the body's experience during the daytime and, furthermore, not during OBE practice.

This will be the main point of my letters as well as the obvious (to me) questions concerning symptoms of illness.
65  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / University of Manchester OBE survey on: August 31, 2005, 01:11:24
This survery is very problematic. And very unethical in my opinion.

To me it seems their intentions are to find connections between OBE's and both physical and mental illness (but mostly mental illness).

The reason why I say this is unethical (or just very sloppy) is this: They do not make the distinction between OBE and waking experiences during the questionnaire. The first question asks you if you've ever had an OBE and then it goes into sensations of the body. For instance, have you ever felt that your arm just disappeared? Why, yes, I have quite often... while falling asleep. Or the other more mental questions, like, do you ever see the world through a fog? Well of course I do, while I'm sleeping! The way they phrase the questions do not distinguish your healthy and natural experiences from symptoms of muscular distrophy or schizophrenia.

I've undergone a number of mental examinations and the questions asked were so obviously parts of a categorical listing of common illnesses, I wanted to place bets on what questions were going to be asked next. By the time I got to Questionnaire #9, when it says,
Below are a number of experiences sometimes reported by people...

I noticed that they neglected to add "during therapy." I know because many of these questions were asked to me directly while I was going through therapy. Particularly, psychologists interpreted my fascination and subsequent troubles with lucid dreaming and astral projection as unhealthy indulgence in fantasy.

But to the dreamer they're not fantasy... are they? Again, this questionnaire is unethical because it skirts this contested issue, so what you may recognize as a natural consequence of lucid dreaming, they see as unnatural signs of illness. This questionnaire is probing for such signs and not caring about the time of day they come to you.

All of the questions about being satisfied with one's body and moral fiber is a dead giveaway that their screening for anxiety disorder, other social disorders, and, oh yeah, body fixation disorder (I don't know how anyone can miss that one).

I started writing what each questionnaire probed by the time I got that far.

Questionnaire #9 is testing you for schizophrenia.

Questionnaire #10 is testing you for synaesthesia and psychotic features.

... Hmm, oh wait, that session timed out while I was writing this post, so I was never able to finish the whole thing. Alas, I don't have a complete listing for how fouled up this research project is.

The only thing you do in participating in this survey is tell them that you are or not mentally and physically ill.

That may sound "open" to some people, Adrian, but not me, especially when they don't tell you that you are being screened on symptoms of mental illness. I just thought I'd let others know, just in case they didn't want to waste their time.
66  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Projection Experiences! / Given a choice on: August 31, 2005, 01:07:48
Oh, no, I never just whine... I take my whining and complainig very seriously!

Difficult to say how many people have success with "projection." You see, projection is an occult matter, so it emphasizes supernatural phenomena... reading minds, communicating from a distance, foretelling the future, levitating stuff, whatever. So, no, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much of that (but there is some! and, intriguingly, they don't seem to know what "projection" is sometimes...) It's kind of silly, but "projection" is really an ancient, outdated, and quaint term for what we're doing here.

Okay... enough of my rambling as well! (So we don't get off topic I request that any replies to me be in a PM or a new thread)
67  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Did I say you could do that? on: August 31, 2005, 01:00:17
Yes.
I think the feeling is an illusion because the way I see it, you carry most of your consious thoughts with you when you have these kind of experiences. I mean, when I dream, I usually find I'm thinking waking thoughts and comparing them to everyday life within the dream life. The only times I haven't had the urge to sleep, is when the experience happens in the morning.

Excellent. I think we're on the same wavelength here. I had never considered that this was an illusion until I read your original post. Although it makes a great deal of sense now...
68  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Did I say you could do that? on: August 30, 2005, 23:32:59
Andali, I'm interested in when you said the want to sleep overrode your curiosity.

This has been my biggest stumbling block in the past year... great experiences are preempted by my drowsiness. I am very curious how drowsiness could surface within a dream. I mean, aren't we already asleep? How could we be drowsy if we're already sleeping? Maybe it's fake...? Is that feeling an illusion much like the dream imagery itself?

I'd like to know what you think.

Davo, welcome to forum! Please only post "chatty" content in the Astral Chat section.
69  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Projection Experiences! / Given a choice on: August 29, 2005, 17:00:30
Slayer, I just think that they're stupid.

http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20208
70  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / heaven or just a resting place? on: August 29, 2005, 06:08:28
That was a very good quality retelling of an interesting experience. I hope you stick around.
71  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Projection Experiences! / Given a choice on: August 29, 2005, 05:51:55
Leyla, I had a similar experience. I thank you sharing yours, because describing the details of mine would be aimless, since it was also purely imaginative.

However, I told a psychologist about my "experiment," and they flipped out. They immediately gave me drugs and signed me up for weekly appointments. I kept hoping they would talk about consciousness with me on a deeper level. How young and foolish I was to go to them!

So a recommendation to those reading: Anyone who has any level of self-discipline need not consult a psychologist. Usually, if you have the self-discipline to create a "walk-in," you have enough to fix it if it becomes a problem.
72  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Out of Body Experiences! / Shorthand on: August 29, 2005, 05:35:45
RJA and PresNevins, thank you for your posts.

And welcome to the forum, PresNevins! I know just what you mean about the blind leading the blind... I think you'll find a significant amount of that here. ;)
73  Astral Chat / Welcome to News and Media! / Japanese develop 'female' android on: August 18, 2005, 04:51:20
Leyla, I think you've just demonstrated that men and women are both equally screwed up (in both similar and different ways) and that neither deserve to be in charge.

[Edit: read, "we must subjugate ourselves to robots"]

[Another Edit: Okay, female robots]
74  Astral Projection & Out of Body Experiences / Welcome to Astral Projection Experiences! / Sweet and very sad experience on: August 18, 2005, 04:43:23
Image if someone came up to you and explained you've passed on...

I'd give it very serious consideration, examining the evidence, my memory, etc.

It is very difficult to separate your philosophy from your suggestions, Tvos. I don't believe I can offer a critical reply without making it seem to you that I am offending you some way. But I'll try anyways.

You seem to suggest that, after one dies, they might persist in having an experience of time alongside the living. Worse, they may not know that this is the case, for somehow their memory has ceased to function properly, and they do not know that they are dead nor do they have a sense of continuity in their new existence. In which case their self has become so nullified and inconsistent that they are like pulverized ships after falling off of the edge of a flat Earth.

So we should retrieve them from the depths. Not only is this an event in time, you say that there should be a retrieval process, having a beginning, middle, and end. And that there is an effective or ineffective way of doing it. You suggest that it is complex and difficult, prone to be disasterous for both parties if one does not know what he or she is doing.

By your insistence that it's possible to "land someone unconsciously for ages," unintentionally at that, I am half-tempted to do it! To show you that you might be deeply wrong, Tvos, in some way or another, and that your view of death is anachronistic, like the flat Earth.

You assume a great a deal. I really feel sorry for you... for you seem to have lost the ability to learn outside of your philosophical interpretations.
75  Metaphysics / Welcome to Quantum Physics! / Particle Adventure on: August 16, 2005, 06:48:14
This website really lays everything out very cleanly... quarks, leptons, force carrier particles, bosons, fermions, etc.

I'm really taken aback by the way many of you claim to know quantum physics so well because of your spirituality and the nontechnical books you've read. The arrogance of that...

So here's a link for those of you who still feel the need to learn something.

http://pdg.web.cern.ch/pdg/particleadventure/frameless/index.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 37