News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Weird Il-logical Dream based on Pressure in Earth Science

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosopicalfreak

OK, last night I feel asleep late (12:00 A.M., but I'm in school) and I left the light on. The dream I had (which lasted until I had to get ready to go to school) started maybe 3 hours into my sleep and the dream started as a series of dreams I've had; I would get on illogical ride in wilderness or anything where I slide on a random track made but the ride lasted maybe 4 seconds compared to 13 mins (approximately) last night. It started where my dad and I were heading to Buffalo, NY (I live near Buffalo, NY) but somehow we were heading into the wilderness and I slipped (Hint: start of ride) on leaves. In front, of me, going down this steep hill, there was a river. I was thinking that "This is no big deal, I'll swim to the surface and continue this ride" but when I fell into the river, I sank to the bottom at a surprisingly fast rate like pressure in water was never there and that density never existed either. About 1 week before the dream I had learned about buoyancy and pressure underwater in Earth Science (which I'm taking in 8th grade). Why does our sub-conscience bend reality? :?:  Please respond with your opinion.
Do we really think our own thoughts, or the are the thoughts that we have others thoughts sliped to us?

Why does our sub-conscience blend our knowledge with imagination?

Sampson

Hi,

QuoteWhy does our sub-conscience bend reality?

That's a really good question! I liked your water dream, I have many dreams where Physical, Mechanical and Scientific laws seem to breakdown or not follow logic.

The last dream I recall like this involved driving a car, I don't actually drive, but the car I was driving in seemed to have an infinite amount of gears, I remember crunching through about sixteen gears before I could get the car moving at any speed! I have spoken with friends who have had similar gearbox dreams too!

Going back to your question, I think that it is the way the subconscious/higher self accesses our memories and information from our physical brain.
From my experience anything concerning writing, mechanics, scientific laws etc, the subconscious seems to struggle to convey.

Becoming more aware in your dreams can overcome this to a certain extent as one has more power or control over the immediate environment.

Another reason for these anomalies, I think, are that the subconscious communicates best in a purely sensual way, these could be visual, aural, oral, tactile or olfactory ways, ways that are far easier to pose a message or make a point, rather than having to rely on a logic that is only relevant in the physical world.

Of course the dream you had may have more than one interpretation, it could simply be your subconscious recalling your science lesson, or there may be a more cryptic meaning lying behind the symbolism.

It's a really good question and I'd love to hear other people's thoughts and views on it.

Thanks for sharing

S
'To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.'

William Blake ('Auguries of Innocence')

Shrike

I agree that is a good question.  My theory is that the subconscious interprets reality strangely.  It's not actually bending the reality from its point of view.  Physical laws and understanding has no bearing on it, so it kind of ignores them.  In your example for instance, buoyancy, water resistance and pressure are not experienced by the subconscious so it basically makes up how it thinks water feels to it, which happens to basically feel like nothing or air.  

I think that when it correctly represents the physical world, that it might be your conscious mind exerting some pull over it, saying stuff like "no, water makes you float" and from the pounding of the physical reality into your mind, like gravity.  You've never flown off the planet before so why start now type of deal.  To break this impression you need conscious thought, ie lucid dreaming.  

I would be interested to hear if you woke up/went lucid upon realizing the water was like air, which would mean that your conscious mind realized something was wrong and tried to snap you out of it.  

Also, in response to Sampson, I agree that the subconscious relays information based on sensual inputs.  So, it's not really what happens in the dream that important, rather how you feel about what happened and how and what you feel as it is happening.  

BTW, I hear that the car dream you had is very common among people trying to run from things that are quickly catching up to them.  an example:  not studying for an exam and having this dream the night before it, it means that you are trying to avoid it, but deep down you know it's unavoidable.  Another interpretation is that you feel that something in real life is not progressing how you had hoped/in the amount of time you had hoped.  Which one depends on if the car actually gets going or just putters around.
It is foolish to fear what you cannot avoid.

Sampson

Hi Shrike,

QuoteI think that when it correctly represents the physical world, that it might be your conscious mind exerting some pull over it, saying stuff like "no, water makes you float" and from the pounding of the physical reality into your mind, like gravity. You've never flown off the planet before so why start now type of deal. To break this impression you need conscious thought, ie lucid dreaming.

I agree, conditioning can play a big part in dreams. Perhaps our sub-conscious also bends reality because that is often the best way to get a point or message across, a kind of shock tactic?

Also an event like sinking to the bottom of a river like a stone, if it feels unnatural enough could easily act as a trigger to a lucid dream if the dreamer is prepared for it or recognises it as a trigger.

QuoteBTW, I hear that the car dream you had is very common among people trying to run from things that are quickly catching up to them. an example: not studying for an exam and having this dream the night before it, it means that you are trying to avoid it, but deep down you know it's unavoidable. Another interpretation is that you feel that something in real life is not progressing how you had hoped/in the amount of time you had hoped. Which one depends on if the car actually gets going or just putters around.

Thanks for the interpretations! I can actually relate to both of them, some months ago I had been in situations similar to the ones that you mention.

I have since confronted the problems head on and worked through most of them, I feel that I have achieved great success with my dream work and this has been reflected in the dreams I am currently having.

I am a strong believer in the power of dreams to heal, especially lucid dreams. If I give a little time in order to carefully record and analyse my dreams they repay me by providing me with all of the answers that I need to solve any personal issues.

I also believe that once ones personal issues, problems or inner demons have been resolved then that is when the lucid dreaming really comes into it's own as a means to have truly wonderful experiences of learning and adventure, and to perhaps use ones own experiences with release from emotional baggage as a liberating and healing tool for helping others.

Cheers

S
'To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.'

William Blake ('Auguries of Innocence')

Shrike

QuoteI have since confronted the problems head on and worked through most of them

Glad to hear it!  I'm wondering if you've had one of those types of dreams since?

QuoteI am a strong believer in the power of dreams to heal, especially lucid dreams. If I give a little time in order to carefully record and analyze my dreams they repay me by providing me with all of the answers that I need to solve any personal issues.

I actually started my dream journal and foray into lucid dreaming because it was suggested to better my chances of AP.  Little did I know that most of what I hoped to learn out there with AP I found within with LD.  I, too, believe that dreams can be very powerful.  Not all of them are important mind you, but most seem to be.  It's been a wonderful experience for me.  Whereas, when I talk about AP to my friends it always leads to odd looks, I've been able to get them interested in LD because they like the "Godlike" feeling they get.  After they do all the normal LD things (sex, violence, etc) most have gone on to use LDs to answer their own inner question.  I figure I've set them on a good path.

QuoteI also believe that once ones personal issues, problems or inner demons have been resolved then that is when the lucid dreaming really comes into it's own as a means to have truly wonderful experiences of learning and adventure

Well, learning and adventure they surely are.  I'm hoping to advance to AP for a greater understanding of things outside myself.  I will still continue to use Lucid Dreams as a means of looking in even after I achieve this.  I'm glad to see that someone else looks at dreaming with the same luster as me.

oh and Freak,
QuoteDo we really think our own thoughts, or the are the thoughts that we have others thoughts slipped to us?

Yes.
It is foolish to fear what you cannot avoid.