News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Dieing in dreams

Previous topic - Next topic

gentlesavage

My friend told me that if u die in a dream, you die in real life. No some dreasm that i can remember i know i have died in, and woken up screaming and being really sweaty, a nightmare i guess. I have told my friend this and she thinks that i am lieing, or that i willed myself out of a dream right before i died, and jsut imagiined that i did die. But i am not so certain. So i am here to ask that if you die in a dream, do you actauly die, or am i right and my friend is wrong.
Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean its not there.

wisp

Hi gentlesavage,
Personally, I don't believe a lot of the superstitions of things like that. Just yesterday a friend of my mom's was telling of a long dream he had while hospitalized years ago. After sharing the dream with the doctor the next morning, the doctor said, "Well, your still here aren't you?".The doctor went on to explain that any dream which lasts more than 30 seconds, you will die. I was shocked hearing this. My mother and my son were present, they added they too had always heard this. I had never heard such a thing, nor can I can believe this. It sounded like total nonsense to me! Not to them.

I guess it's about a belief system? And about how one may perceive death. I see death as a woven-in and part of physical earthly existence.

My son has had numerous dreams of death. I ask him what happens after he dies in his dreams. He said his dream ends.

I don't recall ever having a dream where (when?) I died. I did begin waking one morning, before opening my eyes a voice said,"You don't have to wake up." I realized this was an invitation to something else (in the unknown). I immediately opened my eyes. I had a sense it was about death. Death here, but entry into life somewhere else.I was not ready!  :)

I believe dreams and other altered conscious states prepares one to understand death. I don't believe in any set rules that dictate death. Death is a process, not a final destination, imo.  :D

gentlesavage

well thanks. I guess i am not the only one who has death dreams, andm y dream ends as soon as i die aswell. Maybe i die in dreams because i think about death a lot in the waking world. I have had some dramatic experiences in my life and it has changed me forever, so now i am almsot always depressed, but i live with it.

Dansk

I have had dreams where I have died. In one of them, I died and then it was like I was somewhere else and everything was black and I remember thinking, "No I can't be dead! Someone save me!" And then I woke up.
Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

Wells

lol I'm quite sure dying in a dream does not mean you are going to die in real life.  Unless of course the dream has a strong precognitive feel to it - in which case you wanna watch yer back! ;)

I've had plenty of dying dreams.  As far as I know, it relates to the death of egos, in which case it's actually a good sign!

Van-Stolin

Oh yeah, died plenty of times in dreams.  Eaten alive, sliced in half, impailed, melted by an acid beast.  

Strange thing is that in all of my dreams, they are always in third person.  I know that the person I see is me, but I am not that person, if that makes sense.  Almost as if I am viewing an alternate dimetion, though if so, I was pretty cool in most of them, too bad it seems like I always die.
Thou shall not kill, remember?  What kind of church man are you? - Vash, Trigun

I will destroy Naraku with this Tessiaga! - Inuyasha, Inu-yasha

Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind. - Edward D. Morrison

gentlesavage

wow, mine to, its liek watching a movie, that happens in most of my dreams, like i am a camera following myself.

Dansk

speaking of movie-like-dreams... have you ever had a dream where at the end credits start to roll? That happens to me every once in a while.
Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

AndrewTheSinger

Hehehe, yeah, that happened a few times to me Dansk.
Where does this silence come from?

The untold past of the Earth: http://hiddenhistory.awardspace.com

Van-Stolin

Maybe it is a precog dream that is telling you that you are going to be in the movies.
Thou shall not kill, remember?  What kind of church man are you? - Vash, Trigun

I will destroy Naraku with this Tessiaga! - Inuyasha, Inu-yasha

Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind. - Edward D. Morrison

G3MM4

I'm sorry but I don't think that dying in a dream means that you will die in real life... of course, you will die in real life, everyone dies at some point. But I don't think it's caused by dreams, I really don't buy that theory.

As for dreaming more than 30 seconds, then you will die in real life, I think that's BS too. LOL.
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience. - Dr. Wayne  W. Dyer

Please visit Astral Planet.

gentlesavage

i didn't understand that either. I have dreamnt for wat it feels like  as long as i have been asleep, and some dreams i can't even remember in 30 seconds, so that theory is thrown out of the window, maybe if you had such a terrible dream tha you had a geart attack from it, or slept walked donw a fligth of stairs my friends older sister was sleep walking one night and she dorve all the way down to the seven eleven, and bought a breakfast burrito there, and then she woke haveing no idea how she got there LOL, i think that is quite funny.

Leo Volont

Quote from: gentlesavageMy friend told me that if u die in a dream, you die in real life. No some dreasm that i can remember i know i have died in, and woken up screaming and being really sweaty, a nightmare i guess. I have told my friend this and she thinks that i am lieing, or that i willed myself out of a dream right before i died, and jsut imagiined that i did die. But i am not so certain. So i am here to ask that if you die in a dream, do you actually die, or am i right and my friend is wrong.

ACTUALLY, the best thing you can ever do in a dream is to get killed.

Whoever started that story, that if you die you stay dead -- just the opposite is true.

In dreams you will always be plagued with fear until you finally get killed, and then you realize, finally, THAT YOU CAN'T DIE IN A DREAM.

Have you ever had that Dream where you are running from some terror and your feet feel as though they are made out of lead.  And it is a recurrent Dream.   Recurrent dreams keep coming back because so far you have not responded correctly, and you are to be given chance after chance after chance.   So what is it that you have been doing wrong in running away from terror... in running away from Death?  Well...  Turn around.  Face the Terror and let it kill you.  It will forever transform your Dream Life.  You will have just become a Hero.... an Immortal!

Soon after the first time I was killed in a dream, but got up after I grew tired of laying dead on the ground, I had dream after dream where everything tried to kill me but nothing could.  It is very empowering.

No more Fear!

LotusLegs

I had a dream that I totally and utterly died in FIRST PERSON, but did not die in real life.  Your friend is clinging to a false truth (aka untruth).

Here's my dream.

I was hiding behind some junk from some gang-members or something.  They were walking past me and I hoped they didn't see me, but one of them did.  I got out of my hiding place and pretended like I was supposed to be there, but one of them held something shinny (I didn't have my glasses on, so I couldn't tell what it was, but I was fairly sure it was a gun.) He shot me in the head, right between the eyes.  There was millisecond of intense pain and then there was nothing.  I floated in total blackness for a few moments.  I remember thinking, "If this is what dying is like, then it's not so bad..."  I started to feel my physical body and realized that I was dreaming, but slipped out before I could move on to a cool lucid dream.

There you have it.  I'm still alive. (at least I think I am...  :? )
If you want to view paradise, simply look around and you will.

-Willy Wonka

Wells

Wow LotusLegs, that's very similar to a dream I had.  Was shot by a police man in the head (first person), collapsed to the ground in blackness, with a warm fuzzy feeling.  I too thought "wow, this ain't so bad!".

gentlesavage

most of the time when i have a dream that i die in, i wake right after it, and i started this topic lee volont. I had a dream similari to lotuslegs, i jsut saw the lord of the rings, and i dreamt of a epilogue to it, when arwen and aragorn had a child, iwas that child, and sauron came back from the dead, and i was him, like not in third person, and i was fighting alongside my father, aragorn, and then he dove in front of me to take an arrow for me, i cried and the ni stood up and ran towrds to army, i was slaughtered, but it kinda felt good, like i was avenging my dad, and that i died well, well i think that all of you responses have answered my question, and you guys were very welcoming for a newbi on the forums.

Leannain

LOl i've died several times in dreams and i'm still alive :O

Shrike

Yeah, I've died in a dream, too.  Both third and first person.  In fact, in one of the third-person ones I actually killed me.  That was kind of creepy.  

Quote"If this is what dying is like, then it's not so bad..."

Yeah, most of the time this is what I feel.  A few times when I got shot in the gut or whatnot, I felt this incredible burning pain then everything fades to black and I usually wake up.  But, the only way you can die from a dream is to be scared to death.  I read in the newspaper once that someone had a "fear-induced heart attack" in their sleep.  That must've been sooooome nightmare.  I guess they had heart disease though.  So everyone out there stay healthy, we don't want everyone dieing form their dreams!
It is foolish to fear what you cannot avoid.