The most interesting site on 2012 i have read

Previous topic - Next topic

newmethod

The most interesting site on 2012 i have read personally is actually a blog found here:
http://archive.cyark.org/2012-maya-conceptions-of-time-blog in one part it reads:

"Monument 6's text begins with the 9.11.16.8.18 Long Count date of its associated building's initial construction (around 700 CE) followed by glyphs reading tzuhtzjoom u 13 b'aktun 4 Ajaw 3 Kank'in utoom, indicating a future calendar event at the end of the 13th b'aktun (December 21 or 23, 2012). This declaration of some event is followed by the syllable i-, an eroded glyph, and an inference that a god or collective totality of gods (Bolon Yookte') will "descend" (ye-ma) to the...? Any further details are obscured due to the fragmented nature of the text (Houston and Stuart 1996)"

It's basically the only event in our lifetime predicted by the Maya. So no wonder it has interest.
though the author says: "One way or another, there is little precedent or reason to believe the monument is talking about an event in 2012 that is of much more importance than the celebration of the construction anniversary of this particular building, located in a Classic Period Maya city of relatively little importance (Houston 2008)."

So we will see.
Looks like there are questions with the date 21st or 23rd Dec 2012?
so if nothing happens on 21st Dec don't go HaHaHaing too early just in-case.

I'm hoping it talks of a super spiritual and technologically advanced race of aliens landing openly on Earth.
The wise, friendly, benevolent kind :)

Bedeekin

"Though we do know enough about the ancient Maya at this point to make these cautious assumptions, much of our knowledge on the broader spectrum of their specific history and traditions is still fragmentary and not well-publicized outside of academic circles. These information gaps leave a wide opening for modern people far disassociated from ancient Maya society, from John Major Jenkins to Jared Diamond, to use it as a blank slate upon which to inscribe our own modern, western dilemmas and insecurities. As the ideas these authors propound are argued in such a manner as to have great resonance with the modern concerns of our society, the popularity of their books grow, regardless of whether their analytical methods are sound or not. Combine these sensationalist ideas with the exotic appeal of a foreign culture very different from our own, an ancient culture that abandoned great cities to romantically crumble in the middle of tropical jungle while many of their descendants still live traditional, modest lives today - and you have the makings of mass entertainment. Cue Hollywood!"

This is the most sober summation of the whole thing.

Although this whole paragraph and the opening sentence is a very oxymoronic statement considering the whole website is using the same logic that this paragraph is pointing out to base its assumptions on.

It's like saying "Although everything we think we know about the Mayan 2012 prophecy is largely made up in that there is no actual specific prophecy... lets talk about all the conspiracy ideas and end/change of world scenarios anyway"

Nice find though. ;)

newmethod

yeah it's kinda like that.
On the next page he writes: "Hopefully, this hysteria will subside as calmer heads prevail and make their voices heard. Though we have a more-than-excellent chance of waking up on December 22 (or 24), 2012, in the same shape as we were (in) when we went to sleep, we might want to keep an eye on those of us who are a bit more impressionable than others. Take a moment to let these worriers know they should take all the scary things they are reading on the internet about 2012 with a grain of salt - or twenty. After all, the ancient Maya didn't seem concerned enough to really write much of anything about it. Should we?"

But they did write something and i for one do have an more captive interest in things going on in the world more than usual on the around the 21st and 23rd of Dec 2012.

But the author is right it may be relatively minor, if anything at all. But depending where we live we may see some mass hysteria. Surely on the news we will see it somewhere in the few days prior.. And remember "we might want to keep an eye on those of us who are a bit more impressionable than others" that means our friends, family &/or ourselves...

Peace,
Dean

Bedeekin

The thing they wrote may have been...

"look guys... this calendar runs out near the end of December 2012. We need to make another one... I heard Colop U Uichkin is a great stonemason."