News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Cursing

Previous topic - Next topic

rain_88

Hey guys!

I came across some writing the other day which was about why people find "curse" words offensive. It said that this whole thing has a religious origin. Religion consider sex dirty when it is performed for only pleasure's sake, and these words are related to the urogenital system, so they are perceived as dirty mainly because of this religious - be it conscious or not -  influence. Pretty interesting if you ask me.

On the other hand, I think these words are part of the language and there is nothing "dirty" about them. I grew up in a small town, where a century ago the people with the "dirtier" mouth had the greater respect. It was so natural to them to incorporate these words it wasn't reflecting uneducation or anything like that.

I know that cursing is not allowed on most of the forums since a fraction of people find it offensive, but actually I find it offensive that I can't show my full range of vocabulary when I want to express myself without receiving a warning/ban. I mean, it is a cheap excuse to say that it's offensive, and ignoring the fact that it is restricting others in their freedom of speech at the same time.

I know I can always walk away if I don't like it, but nobody is forcing you to read "dirty" posts, you can just ignore them. Or walk away.

So the question is: what is wrong with cursing, why don't you like/use these words?

I am sorry, I am so, for the things you don't know
And as for the things you do, I am sorry for those too

Steel Hawk

Well if the entire forum became NSFW I'd stop coming here for sure. You don't really need curse words to express yourself and there is alternatives.

For example:
Dang
Crap
Frag
Drek

This fragging sucks, dang drek heads won't stop bothering me!

Lionheart

Quote from: rain_88 on December 28, 2012, 13:09:58
So the question is: what is wrong with cursing, why don't you like/use these words?
Easy answer. Because we don't want to lose the professionalism and repect that all the many members here have worked so hard to create!  :-)

I am shocked that this question was even asked.  :-o

rain_88

What does respect mean to you? I think people often confuse it with being polite. That is something you have to work on. To build up. But respect for me is rather an attitude. I respect someone because I decided to do it. Or decided not to do it. Not because it is a consensus or I want anything in return.

Lionheart

Quote from: rain_88 on December 28, 2012, 15:30:06
What does respect mean to you? I think people often confuse it with being polite. That is something you have to work on. To build up. But respect for me is rather an attitude. I respect someone because I decided to do it. Or decided not to do it. Not because it is a consensus or I want anything in return.
Well, I could have said because we don't want this site to be a haven for a bunch of "drunken sailors", but I chose to give a more respectful answer to your question.  :wink:

rain_88

I still think it is more polite then more respectful but I respect your answer anyway :D..... Lol, this is actually fun :D....

Bedeekin

I think your question is a good one... but only as a discussion of language memes or dialect. It does have religious significance... but only because the higher society adopted religion as a way of control.

There is a great book by Bill Bryson called 'Mother Tongue'... a part of the book discusses why swearing is swearing... why it offends... and how certain words we use today that are offensive weren't offensive in the past and visa-versa.

Believe it or not it is actually about the 'class' system. The upper class used all the naughty words that we now find in common usage today. By the middle of the 19th century the middle class rose up from the lower class and adopted these 'slang' terms. The upper class actually disliked this... so basically... through rule and religion banned many of the 'swear words' and pushed them into the lower class language.

In london for instance if a road was deemed a hangout for prostitution in the UK it was named 'Gropecunt Lane'... road or street... with many different spellings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane

As the mild slang term gained more disgust because of the media, namely newspapers... it was banned as a street term and banished as a swear word.

Scientists recently also found that because swearing is forbidden can be used as a distraction for pain.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/238525.php

But... as to why it isn't allowed on here... it's fairly obvious. It's because it's just offensive.

rain_88

That's a lovely street name <3!

I will check out that book, thx for the hint.

But I am rather interested in your personal opinions. I know that people tend not to think about things that "just are", but I'm still asking you to do that :).

dreamingod

A copy and paste job from my post in another forum:

What is a word?
What is a metaphor?
The written word could be said to symbolise ideas in alphabet form.

In languages such as Chinese, the written word, that is the Chinese characters
in itself build on and convey ideas and form.

Jade (precious gem, stone)

King

Country, Nation

Explanation here: http://chineseculture.about.com/library/character/bl_zi00897.htm

We give definitions and emotional qualities to ideas.
When words are used in such a way to evoke emotions and engage vivid imagination we call these poetry or song.
When we use the same word in different context, we change its meanings and
invariably the level of its use and social acceptance in conversation.

OSHO TALKS - the word F#CK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL2B876EB4CA318248&v=6D7rWLzloOI&feature=player_embedded

:lol:

One of the most interesting words in the English language today is the word `f#ck'.
It is a magical word. Just by its sound it can describe pain, pleasure, hate and love.
In language it falls into many grammatical categories.
It can be used as a verb, both transitive, "John f#cked Mary,"
and intransitive, "Mary was f#cked by John", and as a noun, "Mary is a fine f#ck."
It can be used as an adjective, "Mary is f#cking beautiful."
As you can see, there are not many words with the versatility of f#ck.
Besides the sexual meaning, there are also the following uses:

Ignorance: F#cked if I know.
Trouble: I guess I am f#cked now!
Fraud: I got f#cked at the used car lot.
Aggression: F#ck you!
Displeasure: What the f#ck is going on here?
Difficulty: I can't understand this f#cking job.
Incompetence: He is a f#ck-off.
Suspicion: What the f#ck are you doing?
Enjoyment: I had a f#cking good time.
Request: Get the f#ck out of here.
Hostility: I'm going to knock your f#cking head off.
Greeting: How the f#ck are you?
Apathy: Who gives a f#ck?
Innovation: Get a bigger f#cking hammer.
Surprise: F#ck! You scared the excrement out of me!
Anxiety: Today is really f#cked.
And it is very healthy if every morning you do it as a transcendental meditation just when you get up, first thing, repeat the mantra "f#ck you" five times; it clears your throat too!

===
While cursing makes up language and is used in self expression and thus not taboo,
it may interfere with the message/question and limit social acceptance.
I prefer to use emoticons to express emotions in posts.
===

We are spirit, expressing what we will.
We act out perSONAs on our stage of iMAGEination.
We are both the dreamer & the dream.
I think therefore I am.
I am consciousness & potentiality

rain_88

You f@cking made my day 8-)! I would use it as my signature if it was shorter.

Xanth

Words are just words... ultimately, without intent/context behind them, they're meaningless.

So it's no the words that are the "curse"... it's the intention you place behind them and the context by which you use them in.

Any words can be deemed inappropriate by intent/context.

Also, one thing seriously lacking in this world is people taking responsibility for their actions.  There's no such thing as a "re-action" when it comes to emotional outbursts. 
You can only CHOOSE to act the way you do.  Nobody can force you to become offended... angry... sad... these are actions you've chosen to take.  So when it comes to people saying "words" to you that *YOU* deem to be offensive, perhaps you should look within yourself for why you CHOSE to be offended/angry/sad/whatever.

The problem is that nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions these days.  Everyone is always wanting to blame someone else for their troubles... when in actuality, if you're having problems such as this, you only have to look in a mirror to find the real problem.

rain_88

Quote from: Xanth on December 29, 2012, 14:50:28
Words are just words... ultimately, without intent/context behind them, they're meaningless.

I agree with this. And I would add the need of a receiver too, but you said that later in your post. Although a lot more elaborately :).