News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Astrology - do you think it's reliable?

Previous topic - Next topic

Lasher

Hi Alezunde,

I'm pretty new at astrology myself.
I've long avoided it because it seems so illogical on so many levels.
Then I started studying the kabbalah and it gave me a new perspective on astrology.  So now I've decided to give it a chance.
I purchased a professional astrology computer program called Kepler.  It came with a built in study course.  I figured I would use the software to do my own charts and forcasts and if it turned out to have merit, then I might sell astrological reports to supplement my income.

I haven't gone through the course yet.  But I would be happy to pull some information for you for free.  If you post your date and time of birth, as well as the city/state/country where you were born, I can send you your natal chart with a basic interpretation.  Then, with your natal chart, you can do more research on your own in books and that might give you more evidence as to how reliable it is.

I did my chart and my wife's and they both were startlingly accurate.
I still can't understand in any logical way, why it should work.  All I can say is that it seems to have to do with patterns that are found at all levels of reality, from the microscopic to the macrocosmic.  The stars don't control us any more than we control them.  But just like the spiral is a pattern that is repeated from sea shells to galaxies, there are other patterns that connect us with the universe.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Lasher

Alezunde

That's exactly how I feel!
I used to look upon horoscopes with a certain disdain... and I still do LoL.
But out of curiosity I looked further in on my Sun Sign and others too - almost everything I read about it is frighteningly accurate!
Now, I consider myself a very logical person, and I won't usually believe in something different unless I have what I believe to be solid enough proof that it's accurate.
And so far, from what I've seen, astrology has shown me too many parallels to be merely coincidence!
(Although I'm no expert on astrology by any means. I just read what the info tells me.)

That's my stance for now!
Looking foward to more replies!

no_leaf_clover

if you don't mind thrasher, i'll take you up on your deal..

1/23/88, around noon.. christiansburg/virginia/us

even though astrology has always sounded illogical to me, too, i've always had this feeling that it was rooted in something bigger than what we normally sense or experience or know about, so i never really made any judgements on it..

btw.. nice mp3s [:D] that fat brown-nosing bastard! lmao [;)]
What is the sound of no leaves cloving?

James S

My view of Astrology has always been pretty negative, and I have a few criticisms of it -
How is it possible to plot the future by charting the light from stars which is so old and has travelled so far that some of those stars might not even exist any more.

Horoscopes tend only to be accurate when they are taken by the gullible and turned into self fulfilling prophesies.

I don't see how the details of where and when you are born can possibly have any kind of overall effect on your personality or situation unless you take into account socio-economic factors.

Having said all that though, there are times when I feel the influences of lunar and planetary movement on my psyche. I don't hold much with "popular" astrology, but I'm open to being proven wrong about the validity of some of the deeper aspects of astrology.

James.

Lasher

NLC,

I e-mailed your natal chart and report to you.
Maybe after you read it, you can post your reactions here.

Lasher

P.S.  I'm glad you like the tunes.  [8D]

no_leaf_clover

does time make that much difference to the outcome of the chart? i don't really know what time i was born; i just remember it was during the day close to noon.

maybe it's the fact that i didn't give a precise time, but it was only partially accurate. some of it sounded exactly like me, while other parts were way off, and there was a lot of gray in between. it reminded me of beethoven's personality, how he never fluctuated from his schedule and he was stubborn and had an extremely strong will. me, on the other hand.. i don't even have a schedule. i'm a pretty random person.

thanks for the chart just the same. i appreciate the time you took to make it for me [:D]

Lasher

I'm not sure how important the time is.  I think it is supposed to be fairly important.  I'm still very new at all of this though.  

A real astrologer would do a better job because they would recognize patterns within the chart, and know which parts are strong influences and which parts are less strong.  

My software program gives generic data based on the planet positions.  But it's not sophisticated enough to interpret what the combinations mean.  For that we need a real astrologer.  At that level it is more of an art than a science and I think that the astrologer's spiritual intuition comes into play.  

Anyway, now that you have your chart you can look stuff up in books on your own for more insight.

Take Care,

Lasher

justine

Hermits Unite

Lasher

quote:
BTW I dont mean in anyway to discredit Lasher for offering computer generated readings, sorry if it came across like that :)

Oh I know.  No offense taken.  I freely admit that I am entirely green on this subject.  [:)]

Actually, since you have studied astology for a couple of years, perhaps you could give us a bit more detail...?

Lasher

James S

Hello Justine,
How's the weather up there at the moment? I'm having a typical Melbourne winter weekend - cold, bit windy, and rains when you least expect it. Hence some long square-eyed hours in front of my PC.

One of the things I've wondered about Astrology, and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, is how much creedence can be placed in natal charts, when we base it on the Earths position relative to the stars and the planets, and how often are the astral charts updated? And indeed how much bearing does this actually have?

Reason I ask this is Earths position in the heavens is constantly changing. Our solar system is revolving around the core of a moving galaxy. Where a constellation appeared maybe a couple of hundred years ago will not be the same place as it appears today. Astrology was devised thousands of years ago. Could its founders have known how the earth moves with relation to the rest of the planets, our galaxy and other galaxies as we do now?

This is one of the (many) things I don't understand about astrology.

Inquisitively,
James.

justine

Hermits Unite

no_leaf_clover

the zodiac and astrology originated in ancient sumeria, and are relative to either their time period or the time of the greeks (the greeks expanded on astrology and constellations by making tales of how they fought each other, etc..).. the first set of zodiac signs against the backdrop of stars are now off totally by a whole house due to the slight retardation in our orbit.. when this retardation has caused us to fall back so much, a 'great year' has passed, and it's something like 3000 years (nothing to do with nibiru) .. i might be wrong on the number of years, though.. it's been a while.. the wobbling of our solar system and movement of the sun is too insignificant to have made much a difference since astrology was created a mere 3 thousand years ago. the stars moving away from each other in all directions has made a bigger difference.

that might answer something, but i couldnt tell you what o.O ah well..

James S

Justine,

Thank you for your answer, it was helpful and informative. I had no idea there were two different methodologies being used!

The shifting constellation thing was what really put me off the idea of astrology. From what you say though, the method you are studying doesn't rely on that so much.
quote:
This is a starting point for astrologers, it would be just the same to say in that we start at the 0 degrees on the ecliptic, as that is what it really is.

If I've got this right this factor allows the charts to be kind of "recalibrated" for accuracy.

With this in mind I'm more interested in looking at Astrology, not too deeply, but to see what I can find.

BTW, its cold & wet here again today. I'm so jealous of your weather.[:)]

Take care,
James.

justine

Hermits Unite

Lasher

quote:
One research project I would like to attempt when I have the skills, is to gather data on peoples successful Obes, and see if any correleation arises.

Justine,

That sounds like a fascinating idea.  I would be very interested in hearing about the results of that project.

Lasher

justine

Hermits Unite

greatoutdoors

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but astrology is one of those areas I would recommend taking with a BIG grain of salt. Is anyone familiar with a guy called The Amazing Randi? He did a very interesting experiment with astrological charts in a college class that was rather enlightening.

I can relate to a comment by a post from "Truthseeker" -- I believe only what I can verify. And that can be strange enough!

Tisha

This is neat - - someone with a computer astrology program!  Does it do compatibility charts?  I'm awful curious about myself and a certain someone.

I had my chart done many years ago (sun in 0 degrees Taurus, moon in Taurus, Mars in Taurus, Mercury in Aries, Venus in Pisces, and an Aquarius rising sign . . .can you imagine what I must be like! A stubborn, sensitive, verbal space cadet, you got it!)

I often find Susan Miller's horoscopes very accurate.  Try this:

http://www.astrologyzone.com

have fun !

Tisha

Lasher

quote:
Does it do compatibility charts?

Hi Tisha,

Yes it does.  Although, again, the computer generated interpretations are basic and lack the insights that a professional astrologer would make.
Still, I'd be happy to run the numbers for you in my computer for free and see what we get.  I just need the names, birth times, dates, and birth places for both of you. [:)]

Lasher

Fat_Turkey

Well seeing as there are more than a thousand horoscopes every day in magazines, newspapers, e-mails and websites, all with DIFFERENT horoscopes, I doubt that any single one of them is true. I mean, loads of times the one in the paper told me that Venus smiled apon me and my love life would flourish, whilst at the time I got rejected by the person I had a crush on x_o.

Says a lot don't it

Later
-FT
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
-Anonymous

No amount of rigorous training, sitting and doing nothing, and clearing one's mind can help a man who hasn't overcome his doubts.

Alezunde

Personally, I think horoscopes are crap.

Hey Lasher, that sounds awfully cool... and if you have the time maybe you can plug my info in too?

Birthdate: February 6th, 1986(Thursday) 9:42am, Arlington, Washington

Terry B

Tisha

Hey, Lasher that's great!  Here we are!

Me: Tisha  4/21/66, 1:56 am, Park Ridge, Illinois USA (suburb of Chicago)

Him:  David 10/9/52, 6:00 pm (approx), north-central New Jersey USA (western suburb of NYC)

You can email it to hrhletitia@aol.com - - -

THANKS!   [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Tisha

Alezunde

Wow thanks Lasher!
This is awesome!

Er... 'cept I can't open the text file... :/

Mebbe you could resend?

Thanx!

-Alezunde

greatoutdoors

Posted - 24 June 2003 : 07:04:43 - "Personally, I think horoscopes are crap."

Alezunde, that's what I was trying to say - diplomatically!