News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Favorite Movies

Previous topic - Next topic

Stookie

I love movies. I have a theory that you can tell a lot about a person by the movies they like. So what are your favorite movies?

I love all kinds of movies and can't pick just one as being my favorite, so I'm going to make this a "5 favorites", in no particular order.

1. Blue Velvet
2. Chungking Express
3. Hidden Fortress
4. Easy Rider
5. Dead Man

So, name up to 5 movies that you like -  :lol:

SpeaK

Waking Life
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Donnie Darko (great soundtrack! both the ambient work and the pop tracks)
Requiem for a Dream (great soundtrack in this too)
Memento
American Beauty
Fight Club

Love all these.

Doch

1. Stand by Me
2. What's Eating Gilbert Grape
3. Edward Scissorhands
4. Eyes Wide Shut
5. Groundhog Day

Also:

Big Fish
Lost in Translation
LA Story
Heathers
Being John Malkovich
The Goonies
Labrynth
12 Monkeys
Planes Trains and Auotomobiles
:-)

Doch

And yeah, Stookie, I agree with you that movies encapsulate an individuals ruminations on life pretty well, same with music.

MisterJingo

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Fight club
Dune (the one with Sting in it)
Moulin Rouge

The Princess bride and Ghost in the Shell should be in there too.

WalkerInTheWoods

My preference can change from moment to moment. While there are more, some of my favorites in no particular order:

Princess Mononoke
Willow
What Dreams May Come
The Neverending Story
House of Flying Daggers
Dark City
Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

Kazbadan

I love you!

Stillwater

Hero
What Dreams May Come
Bladerunner
Clockwork Orange
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic

Stookie

Wow, you guys all watch awesome movies.

I'm also a big fan of Fight Club, Fear & Loathing, Ghost in the Shell, Mononoke, House of Flying Daggers, Donnie Darko, 12 Monkies, Run Lola Run (which RunLola didn't list, lol), Bladerunner, Clockwork Orange, and of course Dark City, which is way underrated. I also get a kick out of the Monty Pythons.

I didn't see any listed that I didn't like (or haven't seen).

I can't resist: 5 more

6. Pee Wee's Big Adventure
7. Dr. Strangelove
8. Carlito's Way (it's better than Scarface)
9. Wild at Heart
10. Logan's Run

MisterJingo

Quote from: Stookie on July 27, 2006, 22:53:57
10. Logan's Run

Would that have anything to do with a scantily clad Jenny Agutter roaming about in it?  :-D :wink: If so, Walkabout is a good film too lol  :wink:.

Stookie

Funny you mention that, because I just recently checked it out from my library. It was really good. I didn't realize it was the same girl until you said that though. :)

Selski

The Wicker Man
Solaris
12 Monkeys
What Dreams May Come
Billy Liar

Sarah
We all find nonsenses to believe in; it's part of being alive.

interception

Heat
Collateral
Lord Of War
The Truman Show
Chronicles of Riddick
Fight Club
Independence Day
Ocean's Eleven
Good Will Hunting

Etc...

interception

I remember The Neverending Story. I place blame on that movie as being the one that made me into a fantasy/sci-fi geek.  :-P

MisterJingo

I missed one of my most favorite movies ever off! Flash Gordon! Fantastic film (and music) :D.

jub jub

Quote from: MisterJingo on July 28, 2006, 06:02:52
Would that have anything to do with a scantily clad Jenny Agutter roaming about in it?  :-D :wink: If so, Walkabout is a good film too lol  :wink:.

Not too many people have seen or heard about "Walkabout". I think it was a fantastic flick! I'm also a fan of Aussie movies! Have you seen "Picnic at Hanging Rock"?

What dreams may come
Powder
Matrix Trilogy
Indiana Jones series
What the Bleep do we know?

I like action/adventure as well as spiritual type movies.
"A moral being is one who is capable of reflecting on his past actions and their motives - approving of some and disapproving of others"  -  Charles Darwin

Mitch

I don't know about the order, but my favourite five are:

-Stay
-The Butterfly Effect
-The Island
-Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
-The Matrix Trilogy

Yesterday I saw a movie that I also really liked, it leaves you with a nice feeling inside. :)
It's called 16 Blocks and it's with Bruce Willis and Mos Def. I think Mos Def is a rapper or something, but he's a good actor.

WalkerInTheWoods

The Wicker Man is pretty good. I own it and enjoy watching it from time to time. It is worth seeing, especially if you like the older early 70's films. There are two versions, so be sure you get the extended version with the added footage.

I don't know about the remake. I have heard weird things about it that will totally mess things up. Wicker Man is one of those films that is prefect the way it is and should not be messed with, but that never stopped Hollywood before. It would be like remaking The Rocky Horror Picture Show.  :-(

I think I could turn and live with animals - they're so placid and self-contained. They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins. They do not make me sick discussing their duty to "God". Not one of them kneels to another, or to his own kind that lived thousands of years ago. Not one of them is responsible...or unhappy...all over the Earth. - Lord Summerisle
Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

Selski

Quote from: WalkerInTheWoods on August 05, 2006, 09:54:23
I think I could turn and live with animals - they're so placid and self-contained. They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins. They do not make me sick discussing their duty to "God". Not one of them kneels to another, or to his own kind that lived thousands of years ago. Not one of them is responsible...or unhappy...all over the Earth. - Lord Summerisle

WalkerintheWoods

I own this particular poem (for it is a poem) in a book.  The book I bought from a secondhand shop many years ago.  In the front it had the usual (To Martha from John stuff - but it also had the date he sent it - which happened to be my birthday.  John also said that his especial favourite poem was on Page. 6.) 

Page 6 was the above poem, which happens to be one of my favourite poems once I'd read it.

I then watched The Wicker Man and was nearly literally blown away when I heard Lord Summerisle recount the poem. 

I think it's a fantastic film, and yes, it has to be the original.

I adore Lord Summerisle - he is my hero.  He also happens to appear as one of my guides.  I think this is so because I trust him so much!  Who would have thought having Christopher Lee (a real horror actor) as a guide!!

Sarah

Stookie

I'm also a huge fan of The Wicker Man, and am also sceptical of a remake. First of all, it's Hollywood. The location was a huge thing in the first one, and I don't see them doing that. It'll probably be set somewhere in the U.S. Second, I heard that it stars Nicholas Cage. That really bummed me out.

WalkerInTheWoods

It looks like they have already made the remake. I have not seen anything about it other than here. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450345/

That is pretty wild, Sarah. I really like that quote/poem too.

Traveler

Somewhere in Time
Dune (Sting ver.)
Long Riders
Excaliber (81?)
The Wraith
Hollywood Knights
13th Warrior
The Stand
Band of Brothers
Unforgiven
"For the good of the fire in your soul"

Selski

And how could I forget the Laurel & Hardy films?

I particularly like 'Way out West'.

:-D

Sarah

MisterJingo

Quote from: jub jub on August 04, 2006, 09:09:48
Not too many people have seen or heard about "Walkabout". I think it was a fantastic flick! I'm also a fan of Aussie movies! Have you seen "Picnic at Hanging Rock"?

Walkabout is an interesting film, it's been on UK TV a few times :). I haven't seen picnic at hanging rock. Is it worth checking out?

RenaissanceMan

"Picnic at Hanging Rock" is definitely worth taking a look.

I also like "The Shawshank Redemption".  Great ending.