How would/do you go about talking about AP/OBE or just spiritualism/new age?

Previous topic - Next topic

Spawn_Xe

i'm not the most outgoing person .. infact i'm quite the introvert. But i'd like to talk about this stuff to maybe friends or collegues as i feel i have things to contribute enlighten others with. But im unsure as to how to raise the topic without being judged too soon. I've already encountered problems when just bringing up feng shui... it was somthing i didnt want to discuss but i was probed, so i mentioned it and just received wierd looks and sarcastic comments.

I know it depends on how open the person you talk to is.. but thats always hard to judge with people on certain subjects.

Do any of you talk to friends/family/collegues about this stuff or have tried?
Why do people journey across the globe before taking a journey within themselves?

Stookie

I don't talk to many people about it at all. It's kind of a secret life that I have. Not that I don't want to share it, but I find the majority of people unresponsive. Their worldview dosn't have room for paranormal/astral activities. But when I find someone who does believe, we can talk for hours on the subject.

I have a friend who attempted suicide and nearly lost his life and he became a fairly spiritual person after the incident. We spoke about his views on death and what was going through his mind at the time, which led me to bring up AP and my own experiences, and what might happen after death. He was very responsive to what I had to say.

It's hard to convince someone of something that they can't see or experience for themselves - they can easily think it's science fiction. I don't think it's wrong not to share, some people don't seem ready for it. Just like a christian or jehova's witness or mormon coming to your house to share their beliefs, many people don't want to hear yours. And that's OK.

Snotbot

A king is a peasent at home with his family. and rightly so for the love of them

your best bet is to not need them to understand because it may drive them away
also think carefully what your asking them to think about. in many cases youl be saying hey lets talk about all the painfull overwhelming stuff you dont understand. or lets all stand around and wrack our brains for years trying to work out if god hates africa.

I think your best bet is to just wait and see if they bring up the subject and if you hold your tounge then they will have to if it needs to be said.

untill then some of us can be your freinds and if you need to talk about somthing. shoot and if its important to you and you dont want the thread drowned in nonsence send an IM to the people who were respectfull  :-D

NodesOfYesod

Goober

Always start it off with "Man, have you ever tried eating plants?"

paint1

When I think a friend may be interested in this type of thing, I make a statement that I was reading about an expert martial artist who could control & use his energy against his opponent. That he could use it to slow down time & anticipate his opponents moves. And I go on to say that I'm trying to learn how to control mine.

In the 10 or 11 times I've done this only one was interested in this type of subject & our conversation moved on to other topics such as OBE's & NDE's.

You could try something similar.

Vvid1012

Quote from: Snotbot on January 11, 2007, 11:11:10
A king is a peasent at home with his family. and rightly so for the love of them

your best bet is to not need them to understand because it may drive them away
also think carefully what your asking them to think about. in many cases youl be saying hey lets talk about all the painfull overwhelming stuff you dont understand. or lets all stand around and wrack our brains for years trying to work out if god hates africa.

I think your best bet is to just wait and see if they bring up the subject and if you hold your tounge then they will have to if it needs to be said.

untill then some of us can be your freinds and if you need to talk about somthing. shoot and if its important to you and you dont want the thread drowned in nonsence send an IM to the people who were respectfull  :-D
Awsome quote!  I guess to add to it ..I would say... People want to figure it out for themselves ... i guess :P

VVid

outofbodydude

I have been having OBEs for 6 years, but have kept this secret part of my life hidden until a few months ago.  I have been going through some pretty enlightening spiritual experiences and basically came to a new point in my life where I was no longer held back by fear.  I no longer cared what other people thought, was no longer afraid to show my soft side, in other words show love, and my life opened up in wonderous ways. 

My friends have nothing bad to say about what I do.  I tell them about my OBEs, lucid dreams, I even tell them that I retrieve lost souls (I use the term ghosts so they understand better) and inform them on my philosophies and theories about live and the universe.  The things I talk to my friends about are things that normally they would not even think of.  I do not fear their criticism or judgement, for it means nothing.  I believe this is why I have been treated with respect and thoughtfulness regarding my occult lifestyle.  I feel that if everyone would be open enough to share these things with friends and loved ones, these ideas would be implanted into more and more minds, and this wonderful shift of human consciousness could be sped up even more.
Escaping Velocity. Not just eternity, but infinity.

Astir

Quote from: Spawn_Xe on January 11, 2007, 09:29:07

Do any of you talk to friends/family/collegues about this stuff or have tried?

Very few.
Only two people.

Skippy

I don't talk to many people about it.

I've told some acquaintances about it, but they don't believe in it. I think the whole thing bemuses them, actually. They think it's interesting, but they don't believe astral projection is real. The guy I'm thinking of, for instance - he was happy to listen to me tell him about it, and sometimes he asks me how I'm coming along with practicing, but he doesn't believe in the astral world and doesn't believe anyone can leave their body. But he's not a spiritual person anyway; he doesn't believe in God, or life after death, or anything like that.

My sister thinks it's a bit weird, and I think my parents do too. They know I'm interested in astral projection, as I asked for some astral projection books for Christmas. They don't mind - they're Christians, but they're not strict Christians (in fact, I consider myself a Christian, because I believe in God and Jesus Christ - maybe the best term for me is New Age Christian.) But I don't think they believe astral projection is real, so I think they see it as some fictional idea that's been dreamt up.
The Bee Gees and Andy Gibb

Selski

Quote from: outofbodydude on January 15, 2007, 02:52:23
I feel that if everyone would be open enough to share these things with friends and loved ones, these ideas would be implanted into more and more minds, and this wonderful shift of human consciousness could be sped up even more.

I'm with you.  :-)

I am quite open with people if the opportunity seems good.  Even if someone says, "so Sarah, what is it that you are interested in?"  I won't go barging in there, but will start with the dreaming conversation and see how receptive they are.

I have been pleasantly surprised with a couple of acquaintances in the past (both of whom are christians).  One came to my house, saw my astral projection books in the bookcase and confided in me that she had experienced OBEs, but had never told anyone.  The other chap, when being told of my "interests" by my parents (who are also christians), then told my parents that he had experienced two classic OBEs and would love to meet me to talk about it.

8-)

The more the merrier I say, and if I get locked up in a mental asylum in the meantime... please come and visit me (astrally or otherwise!!") :-P

Sarah
We all find nonsenses to believe in; it's part of being alive.