News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Hypnagogic imagery.

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob_the_floater

I've been having an increase in these lately before waking up, in that half-asleep/half-awake state. But I'm only able to hold onto them for a short time before they fade away and I fully wake up, at most around 10 sec.

Was wandering if anyone have experience in getting them to last longer, or if it's "just" a case of passively observing and getting used to them ?

Here's some examples of what I've been seeing:

Wolves face.
Green background with a green cone in the middle that stood out in 3d, with 3/4 symbols arranged vertically.
Cute/friendly smiling ghostbusters logo waving at me.
Trippy visual, half squares from corners towards center in every color of the rainbow.
Outline of black shapes getting filled out by white in cool looking patterns, from the inside out and outside in.
Hole field of vision filled with lines of text, with words in various places morphing into other words.
Big manor house seen from a big bright green lawn.
Hopefully, the greed and exploitation of certain of mankind can no longer suppress that which is truth. -Richard E. Byrd

Lumaza

Quote from: Bob_the_floater on November 22, 2020, 05:23:56
I've been having an increase in these lately before waking up, in that half-asleep/half-awake state. But I'm only able to hold onto them for a short time before they fade away and I fully wake up, at most around 10 sec.

Was wandering if anyone have experience in getting them to last longer, or if it's "just" a case of passively observing and getting used to them ?
You get them to last longer by honing in on them. Strengthening your ability to hold your focus on one thing or area will greatly help you here. You can practice by visualizing. Pick an object, example a candle flame and lock your focus onto it. It will likely soon morph anew. Observe it as it does. This is when you allow your "curiosity" to steer your way. You can practice "pin pointing" your focus at any time. Just close your eyes and visualize.

QuoteHere's some examples of what I've been seeing:

Wolves face.
Green background with a green cone in the middle that stood out in 3d, with 3/4 symbols arranged vertically.
Cute/friendly smiling ghostbusters logo waving at me.
Trippy visual, half squares from corners towards center in every color of the rainbow.
Outline of black shapes getting filled out by white in cool looking patterns, from the inside out and outside in.
Hole field of vision filled with lines of text, with words in various places morphing into other words.
Big manor house seen from a big bright green lawn.
Those are all great "targets" to teach you to further improve your ability to hold a focus. It's kind of like a balancing sorts though. The words of a famous song by 38 Special come to mind here. "HOLD ON LOOSELY, BUT DON'T LET GO!".
"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."  Nicolai Tesla

Bob_the_floater

Thanks for the answer Lumaza!

I've done or rather tried to do the candle flame visualization in the past, after reading an article on meditation that described it. But eventually I gave up on it, because all I see is blackness.

Only one time for a split second did I see a flame with closed eyes, like it was actually there. I can imagine it in my mind, but not actually see it, if that makes sense :?. But I'm gonna give it another try.
Hopefully, the greed and exploitation of certain of mankind can no longer suppress that which is truth. -Richard E. Byrd

Lumaza

Quote from: Bob_the_floater on November 22, 2020, 23:44:53
Thanks for the answer Lumaza!

I've done or rather tried to do the candle flame visualization in the past, after reading an article on meditation that described it. But eventually I gave up on it, because all I see is blackness.

Only one time for a split second did I see a flame with closed eyes, like it was actually there. I can imagine it in my mind, but not actually see it, if that makes sense :?. But I'm gonna give it another try.
Here's a tip. Use a "real" candle to start with. When you stare at it in a completely dark room for about 15 minutes, you are left with a "imprint" of that scene for about a minute. Use that to your advantage!

While using the candle staring tech, I had my first completely conscious OBE, with all the bells and whistles. The vibrations felt like a violent earthquake and the sound was that of what I could only describe as a helicopter landing on my roof. It was surreal. The next thing I saw was my immediate surroundings.

This is video that taught me that technique years ago!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkWNB9inwI0
"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."  Nicolai Tesla

Bob_the_floater

Quote from: Lumaza on November 22, 2020, 23:53:20
The vibrations felt like a violent earthquake and the sound was that of what I could only describe as a helicopter landing on my roof. It was surreal. The next thing I saw was my immediate surroundings.

Sounds exactly like the first time I had the vibrations, like being in the center of a massive earthquake with this extremely loud rumbling/roaring sound and then seeing myself lying on the couch in the living room. Have experienced the vibrations since then, but nowhere near as violent as the first time.

I'm going to try the technique the guy in the video(s) described, and work on visualization and focus, thanks for the link  :-)

GrumpyRabbit

Quote from: Lumaza on November 22, 2020, 20:49:33
You get them to last longer by honing in on them.

The exact opposite happens for me =( When I try to focus on any instance of these types of hypnogogic images, it/they vanish. If I notice but don't really "LOOK" at them, then they keep going. Does anyone else have this issue? Or is it just me LOL

Lumaza

Quote from: GrumpyRabbit on November 23, 2020, 22:07:26
The exact opposite happens for me =( When I try to focus on any instance of these types of hypnogogic images, it/they vanish. If I notice but don't really "LOOK" at them, then they keep going. Does anyone else have this issue? Or is it just me LOL
I experience that occasionally as well. Like we say, it really is a balancing act of sorts. You have to learn to adapt to what is given to you.

Sometimes I begin to visualize and then something else occurs, either visually, tactile like or some other sense seems to get activated. Other times I can stick with one visualization and all of it's "morphing" for a good amount of time. The more you practice this, the easier it becomes to just shift your conscious awareness from here to there, wherever there at the time may be. We say often here that you need to go with the flow. You will see how things change rather rapidly. I have a number of techniques that I can go to if one doesn't seem to be working at the time. Mantras, counting, visualizing, noticing, etc. There seems to be countless ways to achieve a successful shift in consciousness. But in the end they all come down to the same thing and that is to be able to fully release your "physical'" focus so you may experience anew.

Practicing often gets you "used" to the feeling of experiencing anew. You will actually become more aware of everything around too. While doing something like watching a TV program, movie, reading a book, etc,, you will experience that shift beginning to occur. It all starts then with the very subtle body tingles. It's akin to the feeling of pins and needles.

Bob_the_floater

I tried the staring at a candle thing yesterday, keeping focus on the outline of the flame and not the flame itself. While doing this sometimes it was like the hole room would disappear and only the flame remained. After closing my eyes I did the same thing with the bright dot ("imprint"), not looking/ focusing directly at it but around it, if I looked directly at it, it would quickly fade away, but came back when letting eyes unfocus. After the "imprint" was completely gone and the hypnagogic imagery started to appear, I again did the same thing and it really seems to work. Best way I can describe it would be unfocusing the eyes on command or not letting them focus directly on the "image", kinda like fighting the natural instinct/reflex.

Quote from: Lumaza on November 22, 2020, 20:49:33
The words of a famous song by 38 Special come to mind here. "HOLD ON LOOSELY, BUT DON'T LET GO!".

This makes perfect sense now  :-)

Lumaza

Quote from: Bob_the_floater on November 24, 2020, 00:33:24
I tried the staring at a candle thing yesterday, keeping focus on the outline of the flame and not the flame itself. While doing this sometimes it was like the hole room would disappear and only the flame remained. After closing my eyes I did the same thing with the bright dot ("imprint"), not looking/ focusing directly at it but around it, if I looked directly at it, it would quickly fade away, but came back when letting eyes unfocus. After the "imprint" was completely gone and the hypnagogic imagery started to appear, I again did the same thing and it really seems to work. Best way I can describe it would be unfocusing the eyes on command or not letting them focus directly on the "image", kinda like fighting the natural instinct/reflex.

This makes perfect sense now  :-)
Awesome Bob! I love seeing posts like this where the person applies a method and it works!  :-) 8-) This practice doesn't always have to be such a struggle.

Many times while focusing, i will all of a sudden get a incredibly powerful, overwhelming prompt to "unfocus", as you put it. This immediately leads to what i call the "exploding head syndrome", In this I get a overwhelming surge of energy that seems to apex at or above my head. Although this energy is strong, it is also very short lasting. Then I am "there", I am now experiencing with my "Mind's eye", which to me seems like a singular point of consciousness.

Bob_the_floater

Quote from: Lumaza on November 24, 2020, 04:41:04
Awesome Bob! I love seeing posts like this where the person applies a method and it works!  :-) 8-) This practice doesn't always have to be such a struggle.

Many times while focusing, i will all of a sudden get a incredibly powerful, overwhelming prompt to "unfocus", as you put it. This immediately leads to what i call the "exploding head syndrome", In this I get a overwhelming surge of energy that seems to apex at or above my head. Although this energy is strong, it is also very short lasting. Then I am "there", I am now experiencing with my "Mind's eye", which to me seems like a singular point of consciousness.

Sounds intense!

I will definitely continue to use the "candle technique/method", maybe not for 15 minutes as it did strain the eyes a bit. But I really think it's great, as it allows you to work on the focus with open eyes and gives you a "target" with closed eyes. It also lead to a nice short lucid dream I just dumped in my little journal.

Lumaza

Quote from: Bob_the_floater on November 24, 2020, 08:50:58
Sounds intense!
It can be! The first time I experienced it I thought it was some kind of bizarre fear test. But then i soon saw that it seemed to be some kind of intermediary between here and there. So, now, I just see it through.

QuoteI will definitely continue to use the "candle technique/method", maybe not for 15 minutes as it did strain the eyes a bit. But I really think it's great, as it allows you to work on the focus with open eyes and gives you a "target" with closed eyes. It also lead to a nice short lucid dream I just dumped in my little journal.
Yes, it can definitely strain your eyes, at first that is. The next time, you know to keep a passive view instead of a intense one.

...and yes, one usually leads to the other. Many people report their first conscious OBE or LD by merely listening to a Speaker or simply reading a book on the subject.

Bob_the_floater

Quote from: Lumaza on November 24, 2020, 09:30:00
It can be! The first time I experienced it I thought it was some kind of bizarre fear test. But then i soon saw that it seemed to be some kind of intermediary between here and there. So, now, I just see it through.
Yes, it can definitely strain your eyes, at first that is. The next time, you know to keep a passive view instead of a intense one.
I'll keep that in mind for the next time, I also think I had the candle a bit too close.

...and yes, one usually leads to the other. Many people report their first conscious OBE or LD by merely listening to a Speaker or simply reading a book on the subject.

Can definitely relate to that, most times when I get a renewed interest in the subject and immerse myself in it, it usually leads to an experience.