News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

I need help with Veggies

Previous topic - Next topic

WalkerInTheWoods

There are lots of cook books out there that deal with just vegetables. I bought one and used it a few times. If you are serious about this then you should be able to get more use out of it than me. :)  Take a trip to your local bookstore or library (do they have cookbooks there?).

GOOD LUCK!

Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

PeacefulWarrior

Yeah, on second thought I should just get a cook book, I know there are millions of them out there.  I really wanted to know what people who eat vegetables every day make, you know, something quick and practical yet tasty.  Thanks anyway!
-Dan

fides quaerens intellectum
We shall not cease from our exploration, and at the end of all our exploring, we shall arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Elliot
---------------

WalkerInTheWoods

Actually I thought more people would reply to this post and give you some answers such as that. A few years ago I tried to go veggie. But the problem was I did not know the answer to the question you have asked. So I sort of got away from it. Maybe if I found a better book than the one I got it would have been better. Maybe they got a Vegaterians For Dummies book out or something. Now I just try to throw in some fruits and vegetables for snacks instead of chips or candy.

Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

distant bell

Hi!
Being a vegetarian I should know..
But the thing is that I eat wery booring food...
I eat rice with some vegetables and an egg,
Or potatoes with some vegetables..
Or rice with some vegetables...
Or I cook brown linses..I just cook them with
some veggi soup and some potatoe pices..
Sometimes I fry beans with curry and and some
vegetables..
My favourite ones ar broccoli, and a mix peas,
majs and paprika that one buys deep frozen..

So, well, I´m pretty tired of the food I eat to.

Oh, then I have another favourite!
I doo karrot sallad-
I just take karrots an apple an mix them.
they shoul hav gone through a.. mixer..
they should be..what is the word?- not slised-
much smaller parts... but not pure either...
What do you cal that gadgett - a knuklebuster?

sorry if this makes no sens..

-- Love is the Law - Love under Will --

Tisha

Hi!

The trick to going veggie, and not boring yourself to tears, is to go "ETHNIC" and "SPICY."  Many cultures don't have meat-centered diets, so check them out!   If you are a food-fearful type, start with salsa and work your way out from there.   I use salsa in place of ketchup, in place of salad dressings . . . I almost never get bored with it.

There is even vegetarian "fast food" now at the health stores, but it is kind of expensive.  But if you are an eat-on-the run type it might be worth it.  If you travel a lot or eat out a lot at work, trying to eat healthy is so FRUSTRATING because your choices are so boring (many restaraunts think a pile of iceberg lettuce equals a salad).

But oriental restaurants offer steamed veggies. it gets dull after awhile.  But, if you ask for them spicy, they will be happy to oblige!

I've ventured out into classic Italian cooking.  Much of it is vegetarian.  I eat dairy and fish though, so my choices are broader.  Actually, I eat everything, even red meat - - - but my day-to-day is mostly vegetarian.

tisha

Tisha

ralphm

i agree with the ethnic and spicy diet. i eat a little fish but tofu can be used instead of most meats. the mediteranian diet is best for going meatless, however there is all the oriental dishes too. you could just look up favorite dish recipies on the web- try a search engine or i use epicurious, foodtv.com, there was an entire vegetarian site i found one time. vegetarian burgers and meat substitutes are readily available also. one recent favorite of mine was the lettuce, avocado and fake bacon sandwich(i refuse to eat tomatoes unless they are local or grown in my own garden)

In the world in general and in this nation
May not even the names disease, famine, war, and suffering be heard.
May virtuous qualities, merit, and prosperity greatly increase
And may continuous good fortune and subline well-being perfectly arise.

Adrian

Don't forget salad foods as well!

You don't have to cook veggies. There is a huge variety of cold salad type foods available these days of course - very quick and tasty with plenty of Olive Oil.

Another other food I am very partial to is fungus of all descriptions http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/images/icon_Smile.gif" border=0>

I definitely agree on the chilli hot and spicy foods as well - the hotter and chillier the better!

Best regards,

Adrian.

https://ourultimatereality.com/
Vincit Omnia Veritas

Tisha

Besides Italian, and oriental (which you can easily make once you've sampled what's commercially available), please try ARABIC cuisine!  Yum!

Falafel       Babaganoush
Yogurt       Fava beans
Hummus    Flat bread
Tabouleh
Couscous (tiny pasta)
mint tea

A few years ago I was a professional bellydancer . . . mostly at upscale nightclubs and restaurants that served Lebanese and Moroccan food.  It is healthy and tasty.  Even years later I still eat the stuff . . . I even drink the Turkish coffee, which is mad, mad, MAD!  Go seek out a middle easternrestraunt and you will see what I mean.

Greek food is also divine.  In fact, all mediterranean food is worth looking into. Peaceful Warrior, start checking out the ethnic restaurants in your neighborhood and let us know what you find.  Once you discover something you love, you will be amazed at how easy it is to make!

regards,
tisha

Tisha

PeacefulWarrior

THanks so much for the comments...I think the word "boring" could be substituted with "simple" and I have heard that simple food is truly the best for the body.  I LOVE Italian food and I think I am going to get a veggie/Italian cook book.  I also love spicy food so I think I am in business...I just need to start cooking so I can learn.  Thanks again!  If anyone has further idea please share!

We shall not cease from our exploration, and at the end of all our exploring, we shall arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Elliot
---------------

distant bell

I have never used cook books, but they can be wery good for inspiration.
My advise is to experiment and dare to try your own cooking skills, it´s actually not that hard. And yes, simple food is often healthy food, and one usually gets used to it after a while. I have really gotten wery found of the clean tasts of simple food. So just go out into your kitchen and play around, and you´ll surely manage to invent some really nice dishes!

Felix

Qui-Gon Jinn

I am veggie, a pasta-veegie ;)  Well, I eat around 7 cooked meals a week...  some days I eat two, the second none..  listening to your body is key and not being slave under "rulez" how to eat...  anyways, the cooked meals I make for myself consists mostly of pasta and wokked vegetables with some tomatoe chili sauce, I never get tired of that..  sometimes I toss in soy made products, at least here in Sweden there are plenty to choose between and some are actually VERY tasty knock on wood....  if I do not make this for myself, I do like my fellow countryman Felix Distant Bell, going to the kitchen and "playing around" - good way to put it...  I just take what healthy stuff I have home and let my fantasy do the work, that way it is fun as well =)  just like cooking should be..

Every morning I eat oatmeal porridge, with a banana and an apple or something like that... always at least one fruit!  Great start to the day, you´ll get a "full stomach yet light and fresh"- feeling lasting for quite some hours and you get plenty of fibers from the oatmeal and vitamines from the fruits...  

Otherwise I do not heat my food up very often, alot of enzymes and vitamines get wasted and well one get used to eat more raw food after a while...   sunflower seeds (is thatthe right words?), nuts, corns seeds and most of all plenty of different fruits make up a big part of the rest of my diet...  
 I don´t know if you worry Daniel over not getting enough protein, fats and whatever if you go veggie, but not to worry....  considering the average american diet provides 5-7 times the amount of protein the body works optimal on, and 4-5 times the amount of fat...  and just I think it was tops half of the fibers needed for a healthy digestion..

PLAY AROUND!!   =)

"Think of the fierce energy concentrated in an acorn! You bury it in the ground, and it explodes into a giant oak! Bury a sheep, and nothing happens but decay!"

Be well //Qui-Gon

- Your focus determines your reality -

distant bell

And another lovely thing is milkshake.. but I do em the healthy way!
Mix a banana some milk and a spoon of cacao.. This is one of my favourite drinks- I drink it almoust every day.  (but just make sure tha banana is really ripe..for the taste!)

And I agree with my fellow country man Richard zoc fromaly known to the world as richard Zii-on (why the change my brother?), that it is good to eat alot of food un-heated. There are loads of good sallads, nuts an fruits.

Good luck!

Felix

Qui-Gon Jinn

Brother Felix, you know me and nicks, constant changes...  you haven´t heard the latest?  I think I´m gonna stick with this one; Haluhnao, every letter holds a meaning in the way it beings a word that reminds me of what to think about in everyday life..  except for the "ao" in the end, it is there just to make it sound brazilian and reminding of Samba, facing life with a lot of "samba" - pretty much meaning lightening up, being happy and all that good stuff associated with samba =)   so screw Zoc and Zii-on, hehee...  
  ..those milkshakes of yours sounds pretty tasty, perhaps I´ll test one of those, although I do not want to drink more milk than I already do....  ain´t good for ya!
 Read your mail just now, hope you´ve had a good week at work, I have, and have the weekend of, yiihaaa...  I´m going to Sternö, the place by the water I told you about, spending the night under an open sky tomorrow if the weather won´t be to mezzy...  good for the batteries!!

Take care my friend,  a luego´ // Haluhnao ;)

- Your focus determines your reality -

PeacefulWarrior

I just made the resolution to eat better and my new diet involves eating a lot of vegetables, problem is that I haven't been eating veggies very much and now I find myself running out of recipes and ways of preperation.  I would appreciate it if some of you healthy veggie eatin' people would share with me some detailed recipes or even just quick ideas.  I have a rice cooker and most other pots and pans, so don't be shy.  I love rice and pasta too, so if you know good recipes that combine these carbs with vegetables, please share them!

Thanks!
-Daniel

T.S. Elliot
---------------