News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Japanese Films And Manga

Previous topic - Next topic

Skamoni

Although i am a child, so my opinion is not really thought to matter. I just want to express my love for mangas and japanese films. Although i havent seen many of them. The films i have seen are; battle royale, ichi the killer, audition, dead or alive, and other films from takashi miike.
And the Mangas; Akira, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Metropolis, the animatrix (im not sure if this was japanese) The fist of the north star and i cant wait for the new film "steamboy"
  if anyone else would like to express their love of japanese films or mangas or say which is a good one to watch. Please join in the topic
           .......well i cant say join in, theres only me in it, well "join" the topic then.
Remember Life's A Game
So Lets Fight For Survival
<<<BATTLE ROYALE>>>

CaCoDeMoN

I think, that the best movie I've ever seen was "Ghost in the shell",(this is anime) "Jin Roh"("Wolf Brigade") was also very good, and of course there were many others, that I don't remember now...
MEAT=MURDER.

SpectralDragon

Quote from: SkamoniAlthough i am a child, so my opinion is not really thought to matter. I just want to express my love for mangas and japanese films. Although i havent seen many of them. The films i have seen are; battle royale, ichi the killer, audition, dead or alive, and other films from takashi miike.
And the Mangas; Akira, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Metropolis, the animatrix (im not sure if this was japanese) The fist of the north star and i cant wait for the new film "steamboy"
  if anyone else would like to express their love of japanese films or mangas or say which is a good one to watch. Please join in the topic
           .......well i cant say join in, theres only me in it, well "join" the topic then.

I read quite a few Japanese Manga, and I am also into Japanese Anime quite a bit.
Current Manga series I am reading: HunterXHunter, Naruto, Negima (From the creator of Love Hina), Tsubasa (from the creator of Card Captor), Ranma 1/2

Current Anime: Nadesico, L/R (Liscenced by Royalty), Last Exile.

If I named all I have viewed you would be sitting here reading a large list for about an hour.  :lol:

daem0n

oh, another who seen jin roh, very good
do you know that american version of GitS is censored ?
i never bothered to get the original, though
wolf's rain series is quite good, although it has it's boring parts, but the idea is interesting, and watching it makes my hair stand on the neck
eden manga, perfect blue, i get my hands on hellsing soon (read download)
Search for the cause of self, in self
To find everything and nothing

CaCoDeMoN

My friend had a whole Hellsing series, but with really bad Polish subtitles...
MEAT=MURDER.

LittleNinja

RahXephon and Record of Lodoss War anyone?  I think these two are by far my favorite animes that i've seen.  I know there are a few more but these are the ones that i have the fondest memories of.

SoulDragon

Amen. I love anime. My favs are InuYasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Wolf's Rain, and I end up liking anything that's on G4-TechTV's Anime Unleashed. I love manga too but seldom have the money to get the books.
Quote the raven, "Never more"

SoulDragon

There you go! Thank you, Spectral, the other one of my favs is Last Exile. Is it still on? I've been trying to remember the name for like 5 months. The last one of my favs I can remember is Silent Mobius. Princess Mononoki (hope I spelled it right) had a cool movie out, saw it when I was like 6, and my friend told me about a detective anime he likes called Case Closed.
Quote the raven, "Never more"

Fat_Turkey

For anybody who has seen anime and manga for a long time, like myself, I would strongly suggest starting to watch it all in japanese with english subtitles. If you were to take an anime like Card Captor Sakura (Cardcaptors in English) you would notice billions of differences. Although famous anime, like Evangelion, do not have as many differences I still believe it is far more appreciated in Japanese with the subtitles because the voices suit the characters far better, and the story you are watching is the original one intended for audiences.

I have been recently watching Gundam SEED on a DVD my friend got for me in Hong Kong. The subtitles aren't too great so I can't really wait to buy a boxed set of bilingual DVDs, although I probably wouldn't touch the English track other than to make fun of how badly they ruined the characters.

I'm placing my bets that the best friend (Athrun) of the main character (Kira) will have a really deep voice just because he's on the opposing army, and that his team of pilots are all badass so they'll probably stick punk-butt voices on the characters, which in English I would have to say would ruin the whole thing!!

Can't wait to send angry emails to the dubbers  :D

But on a less complaining note - My favourite anime are Evangelion, Gundam SEED, and I'm starting to get into Last Exile which everybody says is great. I have a large collection of (mostly copied) CDs and plan to expand it whenever I have the chance.

Peace
~FT
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
-Anonymous

No amount of rigorous training, sitting and doing nothing, and clearing one's mind can help a man who hasn't overcome his doubts.

Fat_Turkey

For anybody who has seen anime and manga for a long time, like myself, I would strongly suggest starting to watch it all in japanese with english subtitles. If you were to take an anime like Card Captor Sakura (Cardcaptors in English) you would notice billions of differences. Although famous anime, like Evangelion, do not have as many differences I still believe it is far more appreciated in Japanese with the subtitles because the voices suit the characters far better, and the story you are watching is the original one intended for audiences.

I have been recently watching Gundam SEED on a DVD my friend got for me in Hong Kong. The subtitles aren't too great so I can't really wait to buy a boxed set of bilingual DVDs, although I probably wouldn't touch the English track other than to make fun of how badly they ruined the characters.

I'm placing my bets that the best friend (Athrun) of the main character (Kira) will have a really deep voice just because he's on the opposing army, and that his team of pilots are all badass so they'll probably stick punk-butt voices on the characters, which in English I would have to say would ruin the whole thing!!

But on a less complaining note - My favourite anime are Evangelion, Gundam SEED, and I'm starting to get into Last Exile which everybody says is great. I have a large collection of (mostly copied) CDs and plan to expand it whenever I have the chance.

Peace
~FT
-Anonymous

No amount of rigorous training, sitting and doing nothing, and clearing one's mind can help a man who hasn't overcome his doubts.

Fat_Turkey

Peace
~FT
-Anonymous

SpectralDragon

watch the triple posting there, FT.

I agree with you completely on the sibtitiles, and as you already are well aware of I too have a collection of "fansubs." However, I would like to say that Cowboy Bebop is the one exception on subs. The Dubbing in CB is actually better than the Subtitles!

(I still need to get you naruto don't I?)

Anyway, I have the complete Manga Collection of Silent Mobius Soul, which is much much better than the anime :)

Sam

My experience with anime and manga has been touch and go.. not all of it is brilliant, but the good stuff I have seen and is a must watch for anyone who cares about depth of character and story depth are: Ghost in the shell, Animatrix, Akira (more on that in a sec) and Ninja Scroll.  I have seen others but the names elude me.

I purchased the Akira DVD the other week and got it home and its dubbed in english, and I put the english subtitles on to keep the volume down... and the subtitles didn't even match the dubbing.  The famous "You know we aren't meant to exist in the outside world" quote wasn't even there in this version of the dubbing, and despite the fact that I absolutely love this movie the english dubbing, combined with dodgy captioning, really ruins the experience.  Its like watching the matrix but making all the actors speak in the same flat monotone, except for the girls who have innapropriately excitable voices!

Rob

Hey Sam - with respect to Akira dubbing, I've actually seen 2 versions - one is very good, the other....isn't! I think its the DVD version thats a bit dodgy....

I love manga!!!!!!!!!!

Favourites (not mentioned so far) have to be Vampire Hunter D, its sequel Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust and Fist of the North Star. Cyber City and Guyver are pretty cool too, even if Guyver is incredibly cheesy!
(!!!Formerly known as Inguma!!!)
You are the Alpha and the Omega. You are vaster than the universe and more powerful than a flaring supernova. You are truly incredible!!

Jo'ogn

QuoteAlthough i am a child, so my opinion is not really thought to matter.
No need for being too modest IMHO ;)

I have no TV and I got myself DSL recently and started watching "Onegai Sensei!"
Even though one might claim that's at times a bit pathetic, I love almost anything about, the music, the colours, the characters, the story, the style.

I watched also "Love Hina" and really laughed a lot, but this is now off the winamp media-lib as well as "Last Exile" :(
I speak some japanese, so watching the original with english subs is quite "intriguing".

Sam

Quote from: IngumaHey Sam - with respect to Akira dubbing, I've actually seen 2 versions - one is very good, the other....isn't! I think its the DVD version thats a bit dodgy....

I love manga!!!!!!!!!!

Favourites (not mentioned so far) have to be Vampire Hunter D, its sequel Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust and Fist of the North Star. Cyber City and Guyver are pretty cool too, even if Guyver is incredibly cheesy!

Yeh I got the DVD version of Akira...  I have seen the other version a long time ago and I remember it being much much better.  On the back cover it says "Digitally remastered and english version 2001, Produced by pioneer entertainment (usa) inc, In association with ZRO limit productions & animaze, inc".  My bet would be that "digitally remastered" means they've re-dubbed the entire movie.

-edit-

I just checked it out again, and in the setup menu on the remastered akira DVD, you can actually choose the new 5.1 surround english dubbing, the original 2.0 stereo dubbing (the better choice imho), or japanese 2.0 stereo.  So the original dubbing is there... but... the subtitles are still all screwy, they are 60% of the time totally different in meaning to what is being said, its as if two seperate translation teams worked on the dubbing and another on the subtitles.