News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Know thy selfe!

Previous topic - Next topic

cainam_nazier

In my opinion it sounds like you know yourself all too well.

One of the first major steps to figuring out just who you are is to realize what you are doing.  Like the wearing of masks as you put it.  But to me some of these times that you say we are wearing masks to fullfill what are true self wants is incorrect.  
How many things have you wanted or tried to do inyou life only to find yourself within a few weeks right back where you started?  Like some one who starts out determind to excersize more.  They start out really good and slowly taper off until normallity has returned.  This happens because thier true self does not want this.  It is not who they are.  I am not saying that this persons true self does not want to excersize, far from it.  It wants to or else the feeling would not have been there.  It is just that the person in question was trying to be some one else and was excersizing in a manner that did not fit whit thier true self.  The desire is still there but the person can become depressed because they can not stick with it.  It is in fact only a matter of trying something else.
 To be true to yourself you have to understand that you often can not go around and do everything mainstream.  You can try, it might work for you.  That may be who you are.  But if you try anything and it starts to tapper off in that same kind of manner but the desire and drive is still there maybe you should look at what you are doing.  Is it you or some one else.  Then try a different approach.  Our true self speeks to us all the time it is only a matter of stoping and listening to it.  Question your current actions, and make changes when need be.

David Rogalski
cainam_nazier@hotmail.com

PeacefulWarrior

I think your post is very interesting...it is true that we as mortals create all of these different personas,masks/layers...and we do it subconsciously and I think in large part we do it to feed our egos, you know, our carnal desires.  I am of the belief that as babies we arrive here pretty much "blank"- our higher self.true self is in charge- and then we begin to pile on layers of expereinces, good and bad, and we develop our "personality"...then this person we become is really just a murky window through which you can see the faint image of our true self.  In Corinthians Paul says something like "We see through a glass darkly" and I have heard that if we could clearly see who we truly are we would have no desire to commit sin/fulfill our carnal passions because we would realize that we are potentially perfect beings, capable of always showing love, etc.

I think that a lot of these "personas" we create are simply products of unhealthy practices we indulge in, for example, I am a peaceful and loving person, at least I strive to be one...but within there is a murderer, or at least the potential to harbor one (I am not a murderer!  I am just making a point...) and my point is that if we allow it, anyone could become a monster...it's all about our decisions... whoa...am I making any sense...probably not, but I know what I'm thinking (it's late for one thing)

Anyway, interesting post!
-DT

fides quaerens intellectum
We shall not cease from our exploration, and at the end of all our exploring, we shall arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Elliot
---------------
fides quaerens intellectum

steveb

Well,DB it's would apear your heading in the right direction in regards to the spiritual path. I agree with CN's statement  " In my opinion it sounds like you know yourself all too well". As I would say,"I consider I know myself". It is allright to think this way as long as when we do,we do not consider the "myself" as the "true self"( IT ). The myself is nothing more than a mass of Egos.
         DB, you stated                 " I  think that there actually is soemthing in the core of the soul thatif it would be found could be described as a true self".

The something you talk about is there, the problem is it's trapped by the Ego's. An ego is typing this reply at the momment,although I would like to think a little bit of the something( IT ) is with me.
           CN stated                           "Our true self speeks to us all the time it is only a matter of stoping and listening to it"

How true it is, the occasions when the true self ( IT ) does push through the myself(Egos)and gives that "intuative Knock" we normally ignore it.
            I have spent many years getting to Know my ego's of which there are legions. Knowing them is one thing,dissinagrating them is another. It is my personal believe that they( Egos )live in the astral or above.

regards

Steve

cainam_nazier

I dunno.  I do see it that way.  I think people use the words ego and masks to generally.  Not every one hides who they are nor do they care to do so.  They speak thier minds freely and do not care what people think of them because of it.  If you are doing something that makes you happy or content because it does make you happy and content and not because some else wants you to do it then you are being true to yourself, the inner you that wants to do those things because it enjoys the feeling.  And honestly the killer in side is the trueself for some people.  It is nature.

I believe the "myself" and the "true self" are the same.  The little voice inside that guides us.  I do not see the difference.

David Rogalski
cainam_nazier@hotmail.com

distant bell

Thanks for your interestings posts guys! I don´t know what
I should think about the ego and the possibility of being oneselfe.

It might be that almost all the "selfs" we have are products of
earlier experiences.. and that they have gotten a life of there own.

David- I wouldn´t see this as a way of hiding.. rather I would see
this as a mechanism of the Ego. All the different "selfs" we have
might have grown since we where born, and through the experiences we
have made. This would be a naturall thing, since we don´t live isolated
from the world around us, but in constant interaction. So we develop
ways of making the interaction with others as smooth as possible.

Just in this moment we who have this discussion here on this thread
of the forum continue that wery process. We exchange ideas and values,
and the Ego learns what reactions different statements evoke in other
people, and I guess unconsiously inkludes this in the current self we
are using. NOTE PLEAS- I´m not talking about a consious reaction now,
but a subconsious reaction. It´s just the same as learning to jump away
when someone is hitting you, ar pulling your hand from a hot object
in order not to get burnt. Our minds do learn this patterns in order to
be able to lead a functioning life.

I´m talking about the self representational aspects of the ego structure
now. These aspects are there to integrate memories and experiences with
the self representation. They are a dynamic process, continiously in work,
in order to give the Ego a way of dealing with the outsiede and the inside
world.

Our perception is always influenced by memories, feelings etc. etc, so
It´s really tought to get rid of the influence of others and the uppbringing.

We ARE influenced by the people around us if we whant it or not- so the
question is if it even is possible to creat a "self" totally in ones own way,
I would have to aswer -doubt it!  

Of course we can be more or less activ in the forming of our selfs, and
try to ananlyse why we react in certain ways, and get certain emtions,
and perhaps that way, we can reach closer to the core of the higer self.

But even so.. not thinking about it like that , but looking at it in a more
of a everyday kind way- it´s still tricky not to get influenced by others.
Most ideas we have probably are inspired from others, and from books
and movies we have seen. There is so much lying underneath the wake
maind that has a great influence.

Oops, I really don´t seem to get anywhere with this long winded post..

Well, an example from my friends- I have this frend who says he dosn´t
care about how he looks, an only wears black clothes because it´s so easy
to match when you only have on coloure and so on.. but he would not
were any fashonable clothing even if you gave it to him- he would not
wear a yellow sweater even if you gave it to him- So he really Dose care
about how he looks and dresses- he might not care in the same way as the
fashion slaves- but still !  he can only wer clothing that is "not fashinable"
and black.. so there  you have it!  He would never agree on this though if
you asked him!

So perhaps we are all looked in some ideas about our selfe that we don´t
Know about..

Hope someone got what I meant!

Bless ya !

-- Love is the Law - Love under Will --

steveb

It would appear that some of the meanings of some of the words have been misintereted.The word personality , is basically the character of the person. What makes up the personality ?(,I would say, mainly ego's ,others may not).
         The sum of what we are, and for the purpose of its own individuality ,we for the want of a discription call it the personality.
         The word persona is the outer aspect of the personality as revealed to others, I would say that if you had a persona that matched 100% to your personality ,that such a person would be one of two things,a person very enlightened indeed or a person who would have many problems fitting in to normal day to day life(I am not infering that what is considered normal is correct). Yes the persona is a mask,unfortnuatly a neccassary one due to what makes up  the personality.
            It's simalar to the question , should we,  or should we not lie?. The answer is, " no we should not have to lie" .The reality is,  If you came across someone who was severely injured and you personaly thought that due to the severety of the injuries  they were not going to make it, common sense would previal and you would lie and( I hope ) assure the person that they'ii be ok.
             The persona works the same way, If we were all enlightened being's the word persona would never have been required. unfotuantly due to our being it does exist.

Regards   Steve

distant bell

I wery giddily said "be yourselfe!" on the BALD thread.
This is naturally easier said then done, for how many really
know themselfe? Most people have a constantly changing
"persona" (greek="mask"). To this persona they attribute
new things everyday. And I am no exception!  I could think
of a bunch of different "persons" or "urges" in myselfe that
actually go against each other.

I can mention a few.. I have on asketik ideal, and at the same time
really love my big apartment and my stereo. I have on urge to leav
this country and one urge to stay where my family is. I have on
person who whants to dig deep into the occult secrets of rituall magic
and one mystic who ask what´s the point of it- why don´t just sit down and
meditate like buddha?  One social person and one pretty unsocial.
And then add on top of this the moods, sometimes happy and loving
soemtimes depressed and angry... And well this is only the beginning
of a large list of different aspects of me.

So what is there unsderneath the different masks? Is there such a
thing as a true self, a possibility of beeing one self? Or are we
humans just a bunch of contradictory ideas?

I think that there actually is soemthing in the core of the soul that
if it would be found could be described as a true self. I think that
in day to day life most people are not fully aware of exactly what this
is, and thus jump between different ideas and selfs, to fullfill the
urges of the self in the best way thay can at the moment. But because
the self is deep down it often is blurry and people only see it vagely
and sometimes not at al. So outer influences can affect people to
go in different directions. Sopcail masks are built, that fit into the different
socail groups that one interacts with, and that are changing as the
environment around oneselfe changes. But these are all not the true
self- they are only mask of protection, of habit, that grov stronger
as time passes and as they are used..

Perhaps art and music are the only ways  of breaking through to the
innermost self of the soul, and that´s why we are so touched by the
symbols of art, poetry and movies.  

I think that spiritual work and meditation are ways of finding the slef.

Let´s all fall down in Lotus!!

I hope you have been able to uderstand at least a little bit of my mad
babbeling J

Bless ya!

Felix

-- Love is the Law - Love under Will --