News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Monroe Assignment.

Previous topic - Next topic

Kallas

Hello all

I am in year 12 this year and as a result of this i have been given numerous assignments (shock horror :shock:.) One of these assignments is for studies of religion, in it we have to choose a person and give a speech on their particular world view.

As you may have guessed (from the title) i have decided that it might be interesting to explore and talk about the world view of Robert Monroe. This seems simple enough, however i have hit a problem. That problem being that most of the information i can find about him is either in biography form or completely irrelevant in some other way. So i am hoping someone here will be able to help me answer some questions about his views. :smile:

Firstly what is a world view this is how it has been defined for me, and is the form in which i must respond too.

1)
Your world-view will determine the way you understand reality. The term world-view has been defined as a set of presuppositions (or assumptions) which we hold (consciously or subconsciously) about the basic make up of our world. Very few people are aware that they hold a particular world-view. They assume that the way they see life is the way everyone does.  Their assumption is that what they see is reality. (Raeper, W ., and Smith, L.(1991). A Beginner's Guide to Ideas, Oxford: Lion Publishers).

2)
A world view can be understood as a way of making sense of human experience, or a way of interpreting the experiences of life in a meaningful manner. Questions about the meaning of life are understood to be ultimate questions and ultimate concerns. It is presupposed that human beings search for a sense of meaning and purpose in life.

3)
An individuals world view can be ascertained through the use of a world-view framework, as defined by Streng F.

Streng suggests five components, which some of you may be familiar with. It is these components that i am asking about today so they are reasonably straightforward questions (most of them). I have changed this model slightly so that it directs straight at Monroe, so any he's or Hiss's in there relate to him.

World View Template

1. Ultimate/ Ultimate Reality
    Does god exist?
   If not, how does he create/define meaning?
   What gives him meaning and purpose?
   What are his most important beliefs?

2. Problematic State
   What are the problems that he perceives in relation to the world?
  What particular words, terms and metaphors does he use to describe
  suffering?
  Is religious or non-religious language used?

3. Means of transformation
   Does he believe that the world can be transformed?
  If so, how? If not, why not?
  Are there practical solutions identified?
  What are they?

4. Personal expression
   What kind of inner experiences, and/or significant experiences
  (worship, rituals, significant moments, special places, creative
  processes) might he seek?
  How does he revitalize the spirit?
  Is there a conversion experience?

5. Social expression
  What connection is there between his life and his beliefs?
  How does his world view effect his relationship with individuals, groups,
  communities and social institutions?
  Is his professional life effected by their world-view?

So those are the questions i am looking to answer in relation to him, if anyone would like more information about a particular question or facet then i am happy to expand (considering i have been given like two books worth of notes :roll:. Thanks for reading through this and thanks for any help.

-Paul

Also don't feel like your doing my assignment for me, this is simply part of the research phase, i have just chosen to conduct my research in this manner. (as I'm sure everyone here knows a hell of a lot more about Monroe than i could ever hope to find :D) On top of this if anyone knows of any helpful Internet sites then that would be awesome as well.

It would also be helpful if someone could have a stab at what Monroe's world view would be, based on the components and the definitions of a world view.

Cheers. :smile:  :smile:

MisterJingo

If we use the publicly released material then:

Does god exist?

No. He once believed so, but in one of his books he described how he came face to face with some form of beings who were farming Earth for energy (Loosh). This made him realise (with much agony) that "the God of his childhood was dead".
In later books he seems to have an idea of a creator, which exists beyond the aperture. To me, his ideas concerning this were very similar to Juan's "Food for the Eagle" i.e. we take gifts of our life experience back to the creator, although no one seemed to know what lay beyond the aperture.

If not, how does he create/define meaning?

Monroe seemed to suggest that we each have a part of this creator in us (our creative ability, especially as witnessed in the astral plane). He suggests that physical reality is some form of holographic experience, produced by an emitter near the aperture. We come to experience the product of this hologram, and then return to the creator when we learn our reasons for coming here (not just human form, alien form, non-physical form too). Before we return, we have to round up our I-There's (parts of ourselves experiencing different life times).
So we our self are the creators and bringers of meaning, through the gift of the creator.

What gives him meaning and purpose?

God meaning or purpose or Monroe?

What are his most important beliefs?

I guess you just need to quote his Hemi-Sync affirmation:

I am more than my physical body.  Because I am more than physical matter, I can perceive that which is greater than the physical world.  Therefore, I deeply desire to Expand, to Experience; to Know, to Understand; to Control, to Use such greater energies and energy systems as may be beneficial and constructive to me and to those who follow me.  Also, I deeply desire the help and cooperation, the assistance, the understanding of those individuals whose wisdom, development, and experience are equal to or greater than y own.  I ask their guidance and protection from any influence or any source that might provide me with less than my states desires.  

What are the problems that he perceives in relation to the world?
Monroe seemed to think that the world was perfect with all its perceived sufferings, evils and failings. He suggested many times that the world was a "predator system" which was created as a harsh learning tool for those who incarnate here (As well as a Loosh farm).
He suggested in his later books that it's futile to try and change the world, as you will exert tremendous energy in an ultimately futile task; the system would just adapt and is stronger than the individual. He suggested the only true way to change the world was to change oneself and others might change by example.

What particular words, terms and metaphors does he use to describe
suffering?

I think the last book he wrote (Ultimate Journeys) has a whole chapter on his views of the world.

Is religious or non-religious language used?

Non-religious. Monroe, even to the end seemed one of a more scientific outlook. Although there was a definite change in character between his first book and last. So 30+ years of OBE experience did give him a 'spiritual' outlook, but I wouldn't say a religious one.

Does he believe that the world can be transformed?

No. See above, and look at the relevant chapters in his books. If you don't have them I might be able to search out page numbers etc which backup what I've said.

If so, how? If not, why not?

As above

What kind of inner experiences, and/or significant experiences
(worship, rituals, significant moments, special places, creative
processes) might he seek?

This is a bit of a 'fluffy' question. Firstly he was a scientist interested in the effects of audio patterns on learning ability.
Then he started experiencing OBES, and after much fear started to explore them.
For a period he seemed to have a deep longing to return to a perfect place (Where the coloured clouds and music were), he later outgrew this when he discovered it was static.
Later he was searching for his "missing basic". That is, a final part of the puzzle which would tell his I-There (and everyone else's including mine and yours) where we go next (the aperture). Supposedly mankind will make a mass exodus in the year 3000 to beyond the aperture.

Is there a conversion experience?

His main conversion experience seemed to be the OBE state itself and the discoveries learnt there in.

What connection is there between his life and his beliefs?

This is again an open question. Surely ones life by definition is based totally upon our beliefs? Even the lack of beliefs is a belief itself etc.

How does his world view effect his relationship with individuals, groups,
communities and social institutions?

This is a difficult question. Firstly I'd do a search on his history. He was a very successful, and wealthy business man – this is what enabled him to finance the Monroe institute.
Another book with insights into Monroe is "Cosmic Journeys: My Out-Of-Body Explorations With Robert A. Monroe" by "Rosalind A. McKnight". This give an external view of Monroe as seen from a close friend. It seems to suggest that he appreciated people who strove and worked hard, especially people with impressive academic backgrounds (there is a meeting near the beginning of the book between Rosie, her husband and Monroe where this is mentioned).

Is his professional life effected by their world-view?

This is a question open to interpretation too. His professional life was effected by his world view firstly through his previous business enterprises, then his financing of research into human consiousness.

Kallas

MisterJingo thanks for that awesome response, it was just what i was looking for. Lucky for you  :roll: i have some more questions if you could spare the time to answer them.

These are a bit different so you may not know the answers but anything would be helpful, these are more to help me construct the speech (mostly fillers  :grin: )

You said he used to believe in god, was he brought up as a christian?

Did he start the Monroe institute alone? and when?

What exactly did he believe? (i.e: the physical body and the mind are separate so on so forth)

and finally, Does he have a specific group that follow what he discovered? if so is it large? (ie... er... Monroevian's if you'll excuse the term, I'm sure there is a reasonable chunk of people that follow his beliefs, or correct me if I'm wrong) :smile:

Thanks for all the help
-Paul

oh also i don't really have his books so could you briefly expand on whether or not he thought the world could be transformed?

QuoteWhat gives him meaning and purpose?

God meaning or purpose or Monroe?

Basically what made him get up in the morning?

Cheers

Kallas

Sorry to bump this, but if anyone can help with the questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Kallas