News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Movie - "Enter the Void"

Previous topic - Next topic

Stookie

http://www.amazon.com/Enter-Void-Nathaniel-Brown/dp/B0048LPRCS/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1296505481&sr=1-2

I can't get this flick out of my head. It somewhat follows the Tibetan Book of the Dead. It's about a guy living in Tokyo, and starts with him smoking DMT and discussing the TBOTD with a friend, and without telling too much, he dies and and it follows him through back to rebirth. The entire movie is from a first-person perspective camera-view of the protagonist.

While not necessarily accurate, and also being a bit, uh.... "adult" at times, I seriously can't get it out of my head. It's very surreal. Not many movies burn themselves into my brain like this did. It's probably not for everyone, but if you like surreal art and movies that makes you wonder what hell you just watched, it fits the bill.

daytona955

Sounds cool, I'll give it go. Thanks.  :-)

Lexy

Thanks Stookie!! this sounds like my kind of movie :lol:
"Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves."

DH

I had pre-ordered it from Amazon and got it a couple of weeks ago.  I had the same reaction Stookie.  It's an interesting perspective on life after death from one who has died.  It was long, almost too long, but it kept me riveted and i can't get it out of my head.  Two of my granddaughters watched it later (ages 15, 19) and they just thought it was weird.  For me it had some familiar echoes.
God created the Universe for His 7th grade science project -- and got a C.     - Swami Beyondananda

Stillwater

I did enjoy this film.

It is notable to me that none of the characters is really billed as heroic, despite their ocasional triumphs; the forgoing of this convetional literary structure allows the film to tell a story about human reality and nature instead. I also found there to be very strong subconscious elements sewn into the film, with many genuinely sublime and uncomfortable moments- one thing the film does supremely well is to show what transcendent value one single moment of shared, serene repose can have. The director is up there with Ingmar Bergman on this one point, at least.

There is also an almost comic amount of sexuality, with bizzarely long amounts of the films devoted to countless (literally dozens) of sexual encounters, but I guess this sort of works with the subconsious themes.

Recomended, but clearly not for everyone; requires patience, but it was well worth it to me.
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic

Stookie

QuoteThere is also an almost comic amount of sexuality, with bizzarely long amounts of the films devoted to countless (literally dozens) of sexual encounters, but I guess this sort of works with the subconsious themes.

I've only seen it once and I need to see it at least once more to grasp it better, but I thought the sex in the movie was done in relation to birth and living and death. In one way, you see it as physical pleasure or even immorality among these people, and from the other perspective it's essential to birth and growth and physical experience, and in the end, death.

However, I've seen Gaspar Noe's other films and sex is always a main theme. This movie is easy to watch compared to Irreversible.

Stillwater

Oh, I definitely thought it was fitting- in fact, if I recall corretly, the Book of the Dead does say that the soon to be reincarnated will see countless copulating couples, in the midst of conception; and for a movie that dealt so heavily with the subconscious mind, even more so, since sex is a major subliminal part of our lives, whether people choose to acknowledge it or not.

I just found it funny how front-and-center, and overwhelmingly central it was.
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic

Stookie

One more movie that is in a way related with this one is a Japanese movie called "Izo" by Takashi Miike. It's about a samurai who is executed, and it follows him through a buddhist afterlife back to rebirth. I think you would call him a "vengeful spirit". It's very difficult to comprehend compared to "enter the void", but still pretty interesting. IMO it's worth watching just for the songs Kazuki Tomokawa performs in it - very unique music.

Lexy

well, I have these movies on my blockbuster list, let's see if they ever send them! they are so slow!

ingerul9

And here's the new movie about the afterlife

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDZhWA5T574 - Nosso Lar (Astral City) trailer
lhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt1467388 - imdb link

Storyline

The selfish Dr. André Luiz dies and awakes in a kind of limbo called "Umbral". After a painful and numb period in a gruesome swamp, he is rescued and brought to "Nosso Lar" (meaning "Our Home"), a spiritual city. He finds a place of harmony, where people live in peace, working for the good of humanity, for the self evolution and awaiting for reincarnation. Sooner André Luiz changes his behavior becoming a more self aware and altruist man.

It was made after the book

http://www.amazon.com/Nosso-Lar-Account-Spirit-Spiritis/dp/8598161217/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1297858921&sr=8-9 - Nosso Lar - An Account of Life in a Spirit Colony in the World of Spiritis by Francisco Cândido Xavier - this is a channeled book

The media is picking up in small increments the idea of life after death. It is good to see it's being targeted at the large audience.

Lexy

that looks good ingerul9, hope I can find it  :|