News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Neuroscientists has a near-death-experience

Previous topic - Next topic

justinx

..or "What happens when a skeptic sees the light"

http://www.skeptiko.com/154-neurosurgeon-dr-eben-alexander-near-death-experience/

QuoteOne thing that we will have to let go of is this kind of addiction to simplistic, primitive reductive materialism because there's really no way that I can see a reductive materialist model coming remotely in the right ballpark to explain what we really know about consciousness now.

Coming from a neurosurgeon who, before my coma, thought I was quite certain how the brain and the mind interacted and it was clear to me that there were many things I could do or see done on my patients and it would eliminate consciousness. It was very clear in that realm that the brain gives you consciousness and everything else and when the brain dies there goes consciousness, soul, mind—it's all gone. And it was clear.

Now, having been through my coma, I can tell you that's exactly wrong and that in fact the mind and consciousness are independent of the brain. It's very hard to explain that, certainly if you're limiting yourself to that reductive materialis

jub jub

"A moral being is one who is capable of reflecting on his past actions and their motives - approving of some and disapproving of others"  -  Charles Darwin

Stillwater

Hi Justinx,

Thanks for posting this; I hope that he is able to publish, because it is clear that one is unable to adequately address all the concerns and counter-explanations a opponent with strong material views can bring to bear against accounts like this in an hour program; he is clearly in a somewhat favored background, as his life has provided him with the tools to engage in higher-level debates with knowledge from both sides of the fence. Alternative models of consciousness have become quite sidelined today.
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic