News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Talking about OBE to "Others"

Previous topic - Next topic

Logic

Its not easy for me, I usually dont bring it up in a conversation. Usually I can tell whos interested or involved with it, but the oportunity has not presented itself yet.
We are not truly lost, until we lose ourselves.

Aries

It depends on the person.. most people will just think your nuts and shrug it off.
With my friends I find it easy to tell them, but with new people I meet and with others I am not really comfortable talking about it.

Not so much I am scared of them thinking I am crazy, but I cant really explain it in a way they would understand.. so thats why I dont really talk about it to just anyone.
-Aries
How can the spoon know the taste of soup?

Jeff_Mash

Good question.  You have to use your discretion when it comes to discussing these things.

Talking about OBE's is much like talking about politics or religion.  You don't just talk about them to anyone....usually because it results in an arguement, hurt feelings, or an otherwise negative reaction.

Instead, I usually wait and only speak about them if A) someone brings them up, or B) I feel someone is going to be receptive to their validity.

I learned this the hard way.  Like most noobs, before ever having an OBE, I remember saying, "Gosh, I can't WAIT until I can go out of my body!  Why would you ever hide that amazing skill?  I'm going to tell EVERYONE about it!!!"

After my first 1 or 2, I still felt the same.  However, I made the mistake of telling my parents (who I lived with at the time), and they were very unreceptive.  Being born again Christian, it was highly frowned upon to "dabble" in spiritual things like this, because they consider it to be the work of the devil.

The way they see things, if I were to walk on water or heal the sick, if I didn't do it in the name of Jesus, then it would be the work of Satan...regardless that I'm doing the SAME THING that Jesus did.

So from their reaction, I had to take a few steps back and watch who I talked to about these things.  I have since mentioned my OBE's to my best friend, and his reaction is much like the common reaction you'll see out there, "Really?  Well, I believe it's all just a realistic dream, but hey, that's cool."

Now I just talk about them with you guys here.  Even my wife doesn't know I can do this.  She just knows I am "interested" in OBE's.
Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash
http://www.mjmmagic.com

Euphoric Sunrise

A lot of people here find it best to hide their interest in the metaphysical, and i can't say i blame them.

It was pretty much impossible for me to keep it from my family. I craved books, and the only way i could get transportation to get these books was either by public transport or them. I chose my parents (i didn't want to lie to them THAT much). Luckily they were open minded enough to be cool with it and even take an interest in it. My family has always been into the paranormal in a little way i suppose. Actually my cousins are VERY spiritual, but that's another story.

As far as my friends go, that's a no-no. They're all pretty materialistic and closed-minded to this sort of thing. I tried to talk to one of my best friends about alchemism and stuff a while ago and he just laughed and seemed very disinterested.

I don't really have the need to tell anybody in particular though, so it doesn't bother me. I've made a few friends from this website who i can talk with about it so that's all i need.
"The soul is never silent, but wordless"
* Emperor - The Tongue of Fire

James S

I feel much the same way Euphoric does - don't feel the need to talk about it. This is my personal path, so I kind of treat it like a personal thing.

I have friends around me who each understand a certain aspect of my beliefs, such as a workmate who's a wiccan, my wife's best friend has been practicing Tai Chi for many years and has some good knowlegde on the energy body.

It would be really good to have someone close that I could talk at length with about any aspect of my beliefs. Very rare to find someone you can trust to that extent though.

James.

Squeek

You could always refer to this as the "Don't ask, don't tell" rule of thumb.  If nobody asks you about it, there's no reason to tell them about it.

On the other hand, if we all kept quiet about it and never told anybody else (Except for here), how would we meet others with similar interests?

I guess you'll have to "mark" yourself with it in a way that only those interested will notice [|)]

~Squeek

PS - A signboard with "Do you OBE?" does not work.  Trust me.

Ceriel N

I'm fairly accomplished in the art of retorics (presenting an argument in a way the other party can accept etc.), so I'm not worried about looking silly when talking about it. Sometimes I also say "I don't know, and that's why I'm finding out." when the topic enters an area I'm not sure about. That line, to begin with, is why I started on this path. I realized I would not know for sure unless I attepted to do it for myself. Now that I have done it, my argument can sound like "It's hard not to believe when you've done it." Another efficient line is "It's not about believeing, it's about knowing."

I see myself very much as a scientist in this regard, but without the downright dogmatic subscription to the commonly accepted theories. Science is a question. Religion is an answer, but without either one you see no progress. When science claims to have the answer it takes the role of religion.
In this regard I'm free to investigate whatever I like since I do it in the name of science, as the name of science should be used. I attempt to prove things to be with or without fundation through my own experience and then build theories on that. Once a theory of mine shows that another phenomena might be possible then I attempt to gain personal experience in that as to give foundation to my theory.

Practical examples of this is showing that for instance Auras are a phenomena created by the charged particles moving in in the nerves of the human body. Chakras are nerve centers, and anyone who's ever been punched in the solar plexus can vouch for this. The brain is also a nerve center, but its complexity is extreme.
Along these lines I can expand my theories that we don't live in a physical reality, but in the world of the information we become aware of through our nerves. This in turn gives a new perspective where 'astral' dimensions are no less real than a physical one.
Due to the nature of information it allows enteties without physical bodies to exist. In fact, we are enteties of information augmented with physical bodies.
Altered States of Conciousness takes on a whole new meaning and depth.

I can usually raise the shadow of a doubt that I need in the mind of the other party even if he or she is the most hardened materialist. This is because I use this person's dogma, science, as a trusted pipe of information to seed these thoughts.
"We work in the dark - we do what we can- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion, and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
- Henry James

Aries

Most people dont know anything about this kind of stuff, but when some find out they become more intrested, as well as others who just think your crazy. When you talk about it just try not to come off as being completely insane.
-Aries
How can the spoon know the taste of soup?

The AlphaOmega

When I began OBE I felt like I had to tell everyone.  I had discovered this amazing thing and I wanted anyone and everyone else to experience the things I had.  I was just ecstatic about the whole thing.  I soon came to discover however that a lot of people aren't open to this idea.  Many have better things to worry about then spirituality and the truth about God, etc.  They either believe that you have lost your mind, or they simply have no interest in it at all, or both.  Spirituality and OBE are really such a personal learning experience.  You should be careful who you share it with and why you do.  Most just don't understand!
"Discover your own path to enlightenment with diligence".
              - Buddha

Deva

I'm very careful about who I talk about obes to.  There's really no point in discussing it with someone who is not familiar with it.

Impunity

I have a best friend whom I am fortunate enough to be able to talk abotu OBE's/Projection with.  However I also knew he practiced Wicca at one point in his life so he's more open minded about these things.

-Impunity

Ramiel

I've only shared it with 4-5 of my closest friends, whose trust is guaranteed. Apart from that, anything involving my spiritual path I keep close to me, unless I have spoken to the person for a while and I can see they are both open to what I have to say, and at times needing it.

I am very concious of who I tell because I really dont want to bother having to deal with the rumour mill. I'd prefer to avoid it than confront it so discretion is definetely the best policy.

bitkari

please excuse me in advance if this is a n00b question! :)