News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Our Favorite Quotes

Previous topic - Next topic

McArthur

PeacefulWarrior

"One of the most adventurous things left us is to go to bed. For no one can lay a hand on our dreams."
-E. V. Lucas, 365 Days and One More

fides quaerens intellectum
We shall not cease from our exploration, and at the end of all our exploring, we shall arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Elliot
---------------

Fenris

I WILL PERSIST

I will persist until I succeed. I was not delivered unto this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins.
I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd, I am a lion and I refuse to walk, to talk, to sleep with the sheep.
I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep.
The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.
I will persist until I succeed.
The prizes of life are at the end of each journey not near the beginning, and it is not given unto me to know how many steps are necessary in order to reach my goal.
Failure I may still encounter at the thousandth step, yet success hides behind the next bend in the road.
Never will I know how close it lies unless I take another step. If that is of no avail I will take another and yet another.
In truth one step at a time is not that difficult.
                                                                                             -Og Mandino

To thou who thinkest to seek Me, know that thy seeking and
yearning shall avail thee not unless thou knowest the Mystery.
If that which thou seekest thou findest not within thee,
thou wilt never find it without.

- from Doreen Valiente's "Charge of the Goddess"

Veni Vidi Vici

Cylentpanthur

I think this is appropriate to the people who inhabit this little community in cyberspace.

It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses; to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which you would be strongly tempted to worship... or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or the other of these destinations.

There are no ordinary people. You have never walked with or talked to a mere mortal...

It is immortals with whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, or exploit.

-C.S.Lewis

MEOW http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/images/icon_Smile_sleepy.gif" border=0>

James S

I've put this one under fave quote in my personal details, but ever since I heard it I can't get it out of my head. I'ts kind of become my theme in life:

For that one fraction of a second you were open to options you had never considered.
That is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars or studying nebulae, but charting the unlimited possibilities of existence.

- Q to Capt Picard in the final episode of Star Trek Next Gen.

James S
(Fate amenable to change)

cainam_nazier

"I don't believe it.", Luke.
"That is why you failed." Yoda.

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, After Yoda moves the X-wing out of the water.

"I think there for I am.....Unusual."

"That's not a knife..."

"Yes, that was the truth.....From a certain point of view."  Obi One to Luke, The Empire strikes back.

David Rogalski
cainam_nazier@hotmail.com
I am he who walks in the light but is masked by the shadows.

distant bell

"Flow like water..." (daoistic)

"Every man and every womaman is a star" (crowley)

-- Love is the Law - Love under Will --

PeacefulWarrior

I love William Blake, so here it is!:
Quotations of William Blake
(1757-1827)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from Annotations to Lavater, 1788 (age 31)
Damn sneerers!
True superstition is ignorant honesty & this is beloved of god and man.
Forgiveness of enemies can only come upon their repentance.
Active Evil is better than Passive Good.
They suppose that Woman's Love is Sin; in consequence all the Loves & Graces with them are Sin.

from Annotations to Swedenborg, 1788
There can be no Good Will. Will is always Evil; it is persecution to others or selfishness.
If a thing loves, it is infinite.

from There Is No Natural Religion, 1788
Reason, or the ratio of all we have already known, is not the same that it shall be when we know more.

from All Religions are One, 1788
The true method of knowledge is experiment.

from The Marriage of Heaven and Hell, 1790-93
Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
How do you know but ev'ry Bird that cuts the airy way, / Is an immense world of delight, clos'd by your senses five?
Drive your cart and your plow over the bones of the dead.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence.
If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise.
The lust of the goat is the bounty of God.
What is now proved was once only imagin'd.
Always be ready to speak your mind, and a base man will avoid you.
Every thing possible to be believ'd is an image of truth.
The eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the crow.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion.
He who has suffer'd you to impose on him, knows you.
The tygers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.
You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough.
If others had not been foolish, we should be so.
As the catterpiller chooses the fairest leaves to lay her eggs on, so the priest lays his curse on the fairest joys.
Damn braces: Bless relaxes.
Exuberance is Beauty.
Improvement makes strait roads; but the crooked roads without improvement are roads of Genius.
Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires.
Truth can never be told so as to be understood, and not be believ'd.
The voice of honest indignation is the voice of God.
Man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.
Jesus was all virtue, and acted from impulse, not from rules.

from the Notebook, 1793
The Question Answer'd
What is it men in women do require? The lineaments of Gratified Desire. / What is it women do in men require? The lineaments of Gratified Desire.
Lacedemonian Instruction
'Come hither, my boy, tell me what thou seest there?' / 'A fool tangled in a religious snare.'

from Songs of Experience, 1789-94
Children of the future Age / Reading this indignant page, / Know that in a former time / Love! sweet Love! was thought a crime.

from Annotations to Watson, 1798
The Man who pretends to be a modest enquirer into the truth of a self evident thing is a Knave.

from the Notebook, 1800-03
When a Man has Married a Wife he finds out whether / Her Knees & elbows are only glued together

We shall not cease from our exploration, and at the end of all our exploring, we shall arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Elliot
---------------

James S

From Terry Pratchett (for a comedic author a frightnengly intelligent knowledgable and insightful person) -

Seeing things that are really there is much harder than seeing things that aren't, everyone does that.

Chaos is found in abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organised.

James S
(Fate amenable to change)

RandomName

"One shouldn't attempt to understand another person's beleifs until he understands his own, but should still respect them."-ME(Andrew)2002

kakkarot

"b0b says hi!"  -me

"tuesday"  -my friend

"Meaningless! Meaningless!
Utterly Meaningless.
Everything is Meaningless says the Teacher" (or something like that) -Solomon

"BAKA-BATTOU!"  -me again  :)

~kakkarot

Secret of Secrets

cainam_nazier

"The greatest hinderance to all physical action is the contiousness of self."  Bruce Lee

David Rogalski

Fenris

Once I wept for I had no shoes
Then I came across a man who had no feet
So I stole his shoes
I mean its not like he is going to need them...right?

I dont remember whos work Im steeling here

Veni Vidi Vici

PeacefulWarrior

C.S. Lewis Quote Page

"The Moral Law tells us the tune we have to play: our instincts are merely the keys..."

--Mere Christianity

"The proper rewards are not simply tacked on to the activity for which they are given, but are the activity itself in
consummation."

--The Weight of Glory

"You and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness."

--The Weight of Glory

"Perfect humility dispenses with modesty."

--The Weight of Glory

"If God is satisfied with the work, the work may be satisfied with itself."

--The Weight of Glory

"When humans should have become as perfect in voluntary obedience as the inanimate creation is in its lifeless obedience, then
they will put on its glory, or rather that greater glory of which Nature is only the first sketch."

--The Weight of Glory

"As long as this deliberate refusal to understand things from above, even where such understanding is possible, continues, it is
idle to talk of any final victory over materialism."

--The Weight of Glory

"No Christian and, indeed, no historian could accept the epigram which defines religion as 'what a man does with his solitude.'"

--The Weight of Glory

"We live, in fact, in a world starved for solitude, silence, and private: and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship."

--The Weight of Glory

"To make Christianity a private affair while banishing all privacy is to relegate it to the rainbow's end or the Greek Calends."

--The Weight of Glory

"100 per cent of us die, and the percentage cannot be increased."

--The Weight of Glory

"When you invite a middle-aged moralist to address you, I suppose I must conclude...that you have a taste for middle-aged
moralizing."

--The Weight of Glory

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on
this a moment later."

--The Case for Christianity

"This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect
from other people."

"Human beings, all over the earth, have this curious idea that they ought to behave in a certain way, and can't really get rid of it."

"Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other."

"Reality, in fact, is always something you couldn't have guessed. That's one of the reasons I believe Christianity. It's a religion
you couldn't have guessed."

"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

"God has landed on this enemy-occupied world in human form...The perfect surrender and humiliation was undergone by
Christ: perfect because He was God, surrender and humiliation because He was man."

"Now is our chance to choose the right side. God is holding back to give us that chance. It won't last forever. We must take it
or leave it."

"It is in the process of being worshipped that God communicates His presence to men."

--Reflections on the Psalms

"I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its
appointed consummation."

"The Psalmists in telling everyone to praise God are doing what all men do when they speak of what they care about."

"Every poem can be considered in two ways--as what the poet has to say, and as a thing which he makes."

--A Preface to Paradise Lost

"The modern idea of a Great Man is one who stands at the lonely extremity of some single line of development--"

"Disobedience to conscience is voluntary; bad poetry, on the other hand, is usually not made on purpose."

"Reasoning is never, like poetry, judged from the outside at all."

"Only the skilled can judge the skillfulness, but that is not the same as judging the value of the result."

"Who can endure a doctrine which would allow only dentists to say whether our teeth were aching, only cobblers to say
whether our shoes hurt us, and only governments to tell us whether we were being well governed?"

"Everything except God has some natural superior; everything except unformed matter has some natural inferior."

"Without sin, the universe is a Solemn Game: and there is no good game without rules."

"In the midst of a world of light and love, of song and feast and dance, [Lucifer] could find nothing to think of more interesting
than his own prestige."

"It is in their 'good' characters that novelists make, unawares, the most shocking self- revelations."

"People blush at praise--not only praise of their bodies, but praise of anything that is theirs."

"To fight in another man's armour is something more than to be influenced by his style of fighting."

--The Allegory of Love

"The heart never takes the place of the head: but it can, and should, obey it."

--The Abolition of Man

"It still remains true that no justification of virtue will enable a man to be virtuous."

--The Abolition of Man

"Without the aid of trained emotions the intellect is powerless against the animal organism."

--The Abolition of Man

"As the king governs by his executive, so Reason in man must rule the mere appetites by means of the 'spirited element.'"

--The Abolition of Man

"A great many of those who 'debunk' traditional...values have in the background values of their own which they believe to be
immune from the debunking process."

--The Abolition of Man

"The preservation of society, and of the species itself, are ends that do not hang on the precarious thread of Reason: they are
given by Instinct."

--The Abolition of Man

"If we did not bring to the examinations of our instincts a knowledge of their comparative dignity we could never learn it from
them."

--The Abolition of Man

"An open mind, in questions that are not ultimate, is useful. But an open mind about the ultimate foundations either of
Theoretical or of Practical Reason is idiocy."

--The Abolition of Man

"Wherever any precept of traditional morality is simply challenged to produce its credentials, as though the burden of proof lay
on it, we have taken the wrong position."

--The Abolition of Man

"If we are to have values at all we must accept the ultimate platitudes of Practical Reason as having absolute validity..."

--The Abolition of Man

"What we call Man's power over Nature turns out to be a power exercised by some men over other men with Nature as its
instrument."

--The Abolition of Man

"Man's conquest of Nature turns out, in the moment of its consummation, to be Nature's conquest of Man."

--The Abolition of Man

"No doubt those who really founded modern science were usually those whose love of truth exceeded their love of power."

--The Abolition of Man

"You have gone into the Temple...and found Him, as always, there."

--from a letter "To A Lady"

"Relying on God has to begin all over again every day as if nothing had yet been done..."

--from a letter "To Mrs. L." (50)

"...art can teach without at all ceasing to be art."

--from a letter to "I.O. Evans"

"If the universe is so bad...how on earth did human beings ever come to attribute it to the activity of a wise and good Creator?"

--The Problem of Pain

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

--The Problem of Pain

"Love may forgive all infirmities and love still in spite of them: but Love cannot cease to will their removal."

--The Problem of Pain

"When we are such as He can love without impediment, we shall in fact be happy."

--The Problem of Pain

"When God becomes a Man and lives as a creature among His own creatures in Palestine, then indeed His life is one of
supreme self-sacrifice and leads to Calvary."

--The Problem of Pain

"If we will not learn to eat the only food that the universe grows...then we must starve eternally."

--The Problem of Pain

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."

--The Problem of Pain

"Unless Christianity is wholly false, the perception of ourselves which we have in moments of shame must be the only true
one..."

--The Problem of Pain

"The 'frankness' of people sunk below shame is a very cheap frankness."

--The Problem of Pain

"We have a strange illusion that mere time cancels sin. But mere time does nothing either to the fact or to the guilt of a sin."

--The Problem of Pain

"It is by human avarice or human stupidity, not by the churlishness of nature, that we have poverty and overwork."

--The Problem of Pain

"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf
world."

--The Problem of Pain

"[Pain] removes the veil; it plants the flag of truth within the fortress of a rebel soul."

--The Problem of Pain

"We regard God as an airman regards his parachute; it's there for emergencies but he hopes he'll never have to use it."

--The Problem of Pain

"It matters enormously if I alienate anyone from the truth."

--The Problem of Pain

"Those who would like the God of scripture to be more purely ethical, do not know what they ask."

--The Problem of Pain

"[God] is not proud...He will have us even though we have shown that we prefer everything else to Him."

--The Problem of Pain

"If God were a Kantian, who would not have us till we came to Him from the purest and best motives, who could be saved?"

--The Problem of Pain

"Tribulations cannot cease until God either sees us remade or sees that our remaking is now hopeless."

--The Problem of Pain

"Those who would most scornfully repudiate Christianity as a mere "opiate of the people" have a contempt for the rich, that is,
for all mankind except the poor."

--The Problem of Pain

"Every uncorrected error and unrepented sin is, in its own right, a fountain of fresh error and fresh sin flowing on to the end of
time."

--The Problem of Pain

"Heaven offers nothing that a mercenary soul can desire."

--The Problem of Pain

"Be sure that the ins and outs of your individuality are no mystery to Him; and one day they will no longer be a mystery to you."

--The Problem of Pain

"God will look to every soul like its first love because He is its first love."

--The Problem of Pain

"No good work is done anywhere without aid from the Father of Lights."

"An Ulster Scot may come to disbelieve in God, but not to wear his weekday clothes on the Sabbath."

--Surprised by Joy

"To be discontinuous from God as I am discontinuous from you would be annihilation."

--Letters to Malcolm

"'You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve,' said Aslan. 'And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest
beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor in earth.'"

--Prince Caspian

"Christ died for men precisely because men are not worth dying for; to make them worth it."

--The World's Last Night

"Surely what a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of man he is..."

--Mere Christianity

"Nothing is yet in its true form."

--Till We Have Faces

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for
another world."

--Mere Christianity

"If you are really a product of a materialistic universe, how is it that you don't feel at home there?"

--Encounter with Light

"It now seemed that...the deepest thirst within him was not adapted to the deepest nature of the world."

--The Pilgrim's Regress

"Though I do not believe that my desire for Paradise proves that I shall enjoy it, I think it a pretty good indication that such a
thing exists and that some men will."

--Transposition and Other addresses

"We are born helpless. As soon as we are fully conscious we discover loneliness..."

--Transposition and Other addresses

"It was when I was happiest that I longed most...The sweetest thing in all my life has been the longing...to find the place where
all the beauty came from."

--Till We Have Faces

"There is a kind of happiness and wonder that makes you serious. It is too good to waste on jokes."

--The Last Battle

"The very nature of Joy makes nonsense of our common distinction between having and wanting."

--Surprised by Joy

"All joy...emphasizes our pilgrim status; always reminds, beckons, awakens desire. Our best havings are wantings."

--from an unknown letter

"Joy is the serious business of Heaven."

--Letters to Malcolm

"'You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you,'" said the Lion."

--The Silver Chair

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading. There are traps everywhere--'Bibles
laid open, millions of surprises,' as Herbert says, 'fine nets and stratagems.' God is, if I may say it, very unscrupulous."

--Surprised by Joy

"Thus, and not otherwise, the world was made. Either something or nothing must depend on individual choices."

--Perelandra

"Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free-wills involve, and you find that you
have excluded life itself."

--The Problem of Pain

"If God thinks this state of war in the universe a price worth paying for free will...then we may take it it is worth paying."

--Mere Christianity

"Until you have given up your self to Him you will not have a real self..."

--Mere Christianity

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves."

--On Three Ways of Writing for Children

"The worst attitude of all would be the professional attitude which regards children in the lump as a sort of raw material which
we have to handle."

--On Three Ways of Writing for Children (100)

"Truth and falsehood are opposed; but truth is the norm not of truth only but of falsehood also."

--The Allegory of Love

"If nothing is self-evident, nothing can be proved. Similarly if nothing is obligatory for its own sake, nothing is obligatory at all."

--The Abolition of Man

"The human mind has no more power of inventing a new value than of planting a new sun in the sky or a new primary colour in
the spectrum..."

--Christian Reflections

"The very idea of freedom presupposes some objective moral law which overarches rulers and ruled alike...Unless we return to
the crude and nursery-like belief in objective values, we perish."

--Christian Reflections

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no
meaning..."

--Mere Christianity

"If we retain only what can be justified by standards of prudence and convenience at he bar of enlightened common sense, then
we exchange revelation for that old wraith Natural Religion."

--'Notes on the Way', Time and Tide

"When you are arguing against Him you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all."

--Mere Christianity

"If naturalism were true then all thoughts whatever would be wholly the result of irrational causes...it cuts its own throat."

--A Christian Reply to Professor Price

"Unless thought is valid we have no reason to believe in the real universe."

--Christian Reflections

"A universe whose only claim to be believed in rests on the validity of inference must not start telling us the inference is invalid..."

--Christian Reflections

"The laws of thought are also the laws of things: of things in the remotest space and the remotest time."

--Christian Reflections

"Morality or duty...never yet made a man happy in himself or dear to others."

--English Literature in the 16th Century

"You would not call a man humane for ceasing to set mousetraps if he did so because he believed there were no mice in the
house."

--Mere Christianity

"There is nothing indulgent about the Moral Law. It is as hard as nails...If God is like the Moral Law, then He is not soft."

--Mere Christianity

"Morality, like numinous awe, is a jump; in it, man goes beyond anything that can be 'given' in the facts of experience."

--The Problem of Pain

"All men alike stand condemned, not by alien codes of ethics, but by their own, and all men therefore are conscious of guilt."

--The Problem of Pain

"[Consciousness] is either inexplicable illusion, or else revelation."

--The Problem of Pain

"The road to the promised land runs past Sinai."

--The Problem of Pain

"Of all bad men religious bad men are the worst."

"It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies."

--The Humanitarian Theory of Punishment

"Those that hate goodness are sometimes nearer than those that know nothing at all about it and think they have it already."

--The Great Divorce

"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any
Narnia."

--The Silver Chair

"Certain things, if not seen as lovely or detestable, are not being correctly seen at all."

--Letters to Malcolm

"[One] can regard the moral law as an illusion, and so cut himself off from the common ground of humanity."

--The Problem of Pain

"Human intellect is incurably abstract."

--Myth Became Fact, World Dominion

"The more lucidly we think, the more we are cut off: the more deeply we enter into reality, the less we can think."

"You cannot study Pleasure in the moment of the nuptial embrace, nor repentance while repenting, nor analyze the nature of
humour while roaring with laughter."

"The surest way of spoiling a pleasure [is] to start examining your satisfaction."

--Surprised by Joy

"History is a story written by the finger of God."

--Christian Reflections

"This moment contains all moments."

--The Great Divorce

"Where, except in the present, can the Eternal be met?"

--Christian Reflections

"So many things--nay every real thing--is good if only it will be humble and ordinate."

--Letters

"There are no variations except for those who know a norm, and no subtleties for those who have not grasped the obvious."

--An Experiment in Criticism

"If there is equality it is in His love, not in us."

--Transposition and Other Addresses

"Authority exercised with humility, and obedience accepted with delight are the very lines along which our spirits live."

"Beauty is not democratic; she reveals herself more to the few than to the many..."

--'Notes on the Way' Time and Tide

"Democracy demands that little men should not take big ones too seriously; it dies when it is full of little men who think they are
big themselves."

--'Notes on the Way' Time and Tide

"The claim to equality, outside the strictly political field, is made only by those who feel themselves to be in some way inferior."

--The Screwtape Letters

"They do not get their qualities from a class: they belong to that class because they have those qualities."

--'Delinquents in the Snow' Time and Tide

"He who surrenders himself without reservation to the temporal claims of a nation, or a party, or a class is rendering to Caesar
that which, of all things, most emphatically belongs to God: himself..."

"The true enjoyments must be spontaneous and compulsive and look to no remoter end."

--The World's Last Night

"The moment good taste knows itself, some of its goodness is lost."

--Surprised by Joy

"We have had enough, once and for all, of Hedonism--the gloomy philosophy which says that Pleasure is the only good."

--'Hedonics' Time and Tide

"Many things--such as loving, going to sleep, or behaving unaffectedly--are done worst when we try hardest to do them."

--Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Literature

"Conquest is an evil productive of almost every other evil both to those who commit and to those who suffer it."

--Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Literature

"The universe rings true wherever you fairly test it."

--Surprised by Joy

"Heaven will solve our problems, but not, I think, by showing us subtle reconciliations between all our apparently contradictory
notions."

--A Grief Observed

"The notion that everyone would like Christianity to be true, and therefore all atheists are brave men who have accepted the
defeat of all their deepest desires, is simply impudent nonsense."

--Encounter With Light

"Now that I am a Christian I do not have moods in which the whole thing looks very improbable: but when I was an atheist I
had moods in which Christianity looked terribly probable."

--Mere Christianity

"Looking for God--or Heaven--by exploring space is like reading or seeing all Shakespeare's plays in the hope that you will
find Shakespeare as one of the characters..."

--'The Seeing Eye', Christian Reflections (150)

"Books on psychology or economics or politics are as continuously metaphorical as books of poetry or devotion."

--Miracles

"Unless the religious claims of the Bible are again acknowledged, its literary claims will, I think, be given only 'mouth honour'
and that decreasingly."

--They Asked for a Paper

"Odd, the way the less the Bible is read the more it is translated."

--Letters (25 May 1962)

"Poetry too is a little incarnation, giving body to what had been before invisible and inaudible."

"For whatever else the religious life may be, it is the fountain of self-knowledge and disillusion, the safest form of
psychoanalysis."

--Book Review, Review of English Studies

"The most valuable thing the Psalms do for me is to express the same delight in God which made David dance."

"We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade, the presence of God."

--Letters to Malcolm

"The difference [God's] timelessness makes is that this now (which slips away from you even as you say the word now) is for
Him infinite."

--Letters (1 August 1949)

"Perfect goodness can never debate about the end to be attained, and perfect wisdom cannot debate about the means most
suited to achieve it."

--The Problem of Pain

"No philosophical theory which I have yet come across is a radical improvement on the words of Genesis, that 'In the beginning
God made Heaven and Earth'."

--Miracles

"Though we cannot experience our life as an endless present, we are eternal in God's eyes; that is, in our deepest reality."

--Letters to Malcolm

"Mercy, detached from Justice, grows unmerciful."

--The Humanitarian Theory of Punishment

"Pure, spiritual, intellectual love shot form their faces like barbed lightning. It was so unlike the love we experience that its
expression could easily be mistaken for ferocity."

--Perelandra

"God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense."

--The Problem of Pain

"'Yes,' said Queen Lucy. 'In our world too, a Stable once had something inside it that was bigger than our whole world.'"

--The Last Battle

"'How can I step out of [God's] will save into something that cannot be wished?'"

--Perelandra

"'Don't you mind him,' said Puddleglum. 'There are no accidents. Our guide is Aslan.'"

--The Silver Chair

"'Safe?' said Mr. Beaver...'Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. but he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'"

--The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

"'Then instantly the pale brightness of the mist and the fiery brightness of the Lion rolled themselves together into a swirling glory
and gathered themselves up and disappeared.'"

--The Horse and His Boy

"Only He who really lived a human life (and I presume that only one did) can fully taste the horror of death."

--Letters (c. September 1940)

"Where, except in uncreated light, can the darkness be drowned?"

--Letters to Malcolm

"'When a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the table would crack and Death itself
would start working backwards.'"

--The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

"Some people probably think of the Resurrection as a desperate last moment expedient to save the Hero from a situation which
had got out of the Author's control."

--Miracles

"The idea which...shuts out the Second Coming from our minds, the idea of the world slowly ripening to perfection, is a myth,
not a generalization from experience."

--The World's Last Night

"To play well the scenes in which we are 'on' concerns us much more than to guess about the scenes that follow it."

--The World's Last Night

"'Something of God...flows into us from the blue of the sky, the taste of honey, the delicious embrace of water whether cold or
hot, and even from sleep itself.'"

--'Scraps', St. James' Magazine

"'We do not truly see light, we only see slower things lit by it, so that for us light is on the edge--the last thing we know before
things become too swift for us.'"

--Out of the Silent Planet

"These things are not strange, Small One, though they are beyond our senses."

--Out of the Silent Planet

"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It
is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower."

"Really, a young Atheist cannot guard his faith too carefully. Dangers lie in wait for him on every side."

--Surprised by Joy

"You must not do, you must not even try to do, the will of the Father unless you are prepared to 'know of the doctrine'."

--Surprised by Joy

"Every sin is the distortion of an energy breathed into us..."

--Letters to Malcolm

"We poison the wine as He decants it into us; murder a melody He would play with us as the instrument...Hence all sin,
whatever else it is, is sacrilege."

--Letters to Malcolm

"...of that intimate laughter between fellow professionals, which of all earthly powers is strongest to make men do very bad
things before they are yet, individually, very bad men."

--That Hideous Strength

"And then she understood the devilish cunning of the enemies' plan. By mixing a little truth with it they had made their lie far
stronger."

--The Last Battle

"To admire Satan [in Paradise Lost] is to give one's vote not only for a world of misery, but also for a world of lies and
propaganda, of wishful thinking, of incessant autobiography."

--A Preface to 'Paradise Lost'

"The extremity of its evil had passed beyond all struggle into some state which bore a horrible similarity to innocence."

--Perelandra

"Hatred obscures all distinctions."

--'On Science Fiction', Of Other Worlds

"Sleeping on a dragon's hoard with greedy, dragonish thoughts in his heart, he had become a dragon himself."

--The Voyage of the 'Dawn Treader'

"The gravitation away from God, 'the journey homeward to habitual self', must, we think, be a product of the Fall."

--The Problem of Pain

"All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible
story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy."

--Mere Christianity

"Every story of conversion is the story of a blessed defeat."

--Foreword to Joy Davidman's Smoke on the Mountain

"The natural life in each of us is something self-centred, something that wants to be petted and admired, to take advantage of
other lives, to exploit the whole universe."

--Mere Christianity

"[The natural life] knows that if the spiritual life gets hold of it, all its self-centredness and self-will are going to be killed and it is
ready to fight tooth and nail to avoid that."

--Mere Christianity

"This act of self-will on the part of the creature, which constitutes an utter falseness to its true creaturely position, is the only sin
that can be conceived as the Fall."

--The Problem of Pain

"The essence of religion, in my view, is the thirst for an end higher than natural ends..."

--A Christian Reply to Professor Price' Phoenix Quarterly

"From the moment a creature becomes aware of God as God and of itself as self, the terrible alternative of choosing God or
self for the centre is opened to it."

--The Problem of Pain

"At this very moment you and I are either committing [selfishness], or about to commit it, or repenting it."

--The Problem of Pain

"The dangers of apparent self-sufficiency explain why Our Lord regards the vices of the feckless and dissipated so much more
leniently than the vices that lead to worldly success."

--The Problem of Pain

"Prostitutes are in no danger of finding their present life so satisfactory that they cannot turn to God: the proud, the avaricious,
the self-righteous, are in that danger."

T.S. Elliot
---------------

PeacefulWarrior

"The terrible thing, the almost impossible thing, is the hand over your whole self--all your wishes and precautions--to Christ."

--Mere Christianity

"'Nothing, not even what is lowest and most bestial, will not be raised again if it submits to death.'"

--The Great Divorce

"A blessed spirit is a mould ever more and more patient of the bright metal poured into it, a body ever more completely
uncovered to the meridian blaze of the spiritual sun."

--The Problem of Pain

"For in self-giving, if anywhere, we touch a rhythm not only of all creation but of all being."

--The Problem of Pain

"What is outside the system of self-giving is no earth, nor nature, nor 'ordinary life', but simply and solely Hell. Yet even Hell
derives from this law such reality as it has."

--The Problem of Pain

"That fierce imprisonment in the self is but the obverse of the self-giving which is absolute reality..."

--The Problem of Pain

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained."

--Answers to Questions on Christianity

"In the moral sphere, every act of justice or charity involves putting ourselves in the other person's place and thus transcending
our own competitive particularity."

--An Experiment in Criticism

"In coming to understand anything we are rejecting the facts as they are for us in favour of the facts as they are."

T.S. Elliot
---------------

steveb

Greetings

[To enjoy the beauty of the rainbow, there must be rain]

Regards steve

Joe

"When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die"
-- Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."
-- Al Capone

"The Mind is the great Slayer of the Real. Let the Disciple slay the Slayer."
-- H.P. Blavatsky

"When travelling the Path, do not slow - there is always another step in front of you. But do not rush - there is only ever one step in front of you."

Homer (Answering the phone): "You'll have to speak up; I'm wearing a towel."

Frank

Men are not against you; they are merely for themselves.
Gene Fowler

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way.
A J Muste

The essence of greatness is that virtue is enough.
R W Emerson

They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.
Psalms 126:5

No-one can make you feel inferior, without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt

The wise man avoids evil by anticipating it.
Publilius Syrus

The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining.
John F Kennedy

Look at things... as they can be.
David J Schwartz

PeacefulWarrior

Beauty's attractive, and we dont want people to be attracted by old things. We want them to like the new ones.

- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

The beauty of life, is that you don't have to be modernly beautiful to live it.

- C.S. lewis

To me the most important thing is the sense of going on. You know how beautiful things are when you're traveling.

- Edward Hopper

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

- Francis Bacon

Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free.

- Jim Morrison

We ascribe beauty to that which is simple; which has no superfluous parts; which exactly answers its end; which stands related to all things; which is the mean of many extremes.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, In Imagination

The essentials to happiness are something to love, something to do, and something to hope for.

- William Blake, In Happiness

If the doors of perception were to be cleansed man would see everything as it truly is... Infinite.

- William Blake, In Philosophy

In the course of history many more people have died for their drink and their dope than have died for their religion or their country.

- Aldous Huxley

WE [MOI], AS A GROUP, DO NOT RECOMMEND... VERILY, WE REPUDIATE ANY ANIMAL/MINERAL /VEGETABLE/SYNTHETIC SUBSTANCE, VEHICLE and/or PROCEDURE WHICH MIGHT TEND TO REDUCE THE BODY, MIND OR SPIRIT OF ANY INDIVIDUAL (any true individual) TO A STATE OF SUB-AWARNESS OR INSENSITIVITY ... that is to say WE ARE HERE TO TURN YOU LOOSE NOT TURN YOU ON

- Frank Zappa

My peers, lately, have found companionship through means of intoxication--it makes them sociable. I, however, cannot force myself to use drugs to cheat on my loneliness--it is all that i have--and when the drugs and alcohol dissipate, will be all that my peers have as well.

- Franz Kafka

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

- Hunter S. Thompson

There is nothing more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge

- Hunter S. Thompson

I think psychedelics play a major part in what we do, but having said that, I feel that if somebody's going to experiment with those things they really need to educate themselves about them. People just taking the chemicals and diving in without having any kind of preparation about what they're about to experience tend to have no frame of reference, so they're missing everything flying by and all these new perspectives. It's just a waste. They reach a little bit of spiritual enlightenment, but they end up going, 'Well, now I need that drug to get back there again.' The trick is to use the drugs once to get there, and maybe spend the next ten years trying to get back there without the drug.

- Maynard James Keenan

I don't do drugs. I am drugs.

- Salvador Dali

Psychedelics are probably responsible for every aspect of human evolution apart from the decline in bodyhair.

- Terence McKenna, Food of the Gods

If it keeps you awake, it's art; if it puts you to sleep, it's a drug.

- Unknown

Annual drug deaths: tobacco: 395,000, alcohol: 125,000, 'legal' drugs: 38,000, illegal drug overdoses: 5,200, marijuana: 0. Considering government subsidies of tobacco, just what is our government protecting us from in the drug war?

- William A. Turnbow

T.S. Elliot
---------------

PeacefulWarrior

Weird
even samurai have teddy bears and even the teddy bears get drunk

- ?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

- All That

Dog for sale: eats anything and is fond of children

- Classified Ad

"Some people may think you're cute, Babe. But to me you're one very large baked potato!" -- Sylvester Stallone in Death Race 2000

- Death Race 2000

you did your math strategies wrong. there is no missing dollar. the men started out with thirty, 25 of that is with the manager, 2 of it is with the bellhop and they each have one dollar.

- Emily

Hippies, hippies... they want to save the world but all they do is smoke pot and play frisbee!

- Eric Cartman, "Southpark"

I shot an elephant in my pants. How he got there I'll never know.

- Groucho Marx

rabbits clinkity, clinkity, clink. Hello Mr. Zebra can i have your sweater cause its cold cold cold in my hole hole hole.

- Guess Who

I wish everybody would have to have an electric thing implanted in our heads that gave us a shoc k whenever we did something to disobey the president. Then somehow I get myself elected president.

- Jack Handey

If you ever drop your keys into a pool of lava, forget about them, cuz man, they're gone

- Jack Handey

I've been talking to dead rabbits and feeding bloody walls. I've done horrifying things with salad tongs. It's really eaten into my social life.

- Jhonen Vasquez

If purple monkeys weren't meant to fly then why do i only see them when I'm high?

- Joe

You can lead a horse to water, but if you can get him to lay down on his back and float in it, then you have something.

- Joe E. Brown

What I want to know is where the hell can you get a hotel room for $25.00?

- Larry

"You know I always thought unicorns were fabulous creatures too, although I never saw one alive before." "Well, now that we have met," said the unicorn, "If you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

- Lewis Carrol, "Throught The Looking Glass"

"If Pete fails the test, he'll look like a sucker and end up waxing floors like Cecil Tucker"

- Pete And Pete

I didn't expect her to counter my plan with nakedness.

- Riff (Of Pete Abrams' Sluggy Freelance)

A man walks up to a strange beast in the dessert, after many days of walking. He is at the point of exhaustion when he sees that the beast is eating its own heart. He says, "Why are you eating your heart?" And the beast replies, "I eat it because i like its bitter taste, and because it is my heart."

- Stephen Crane

You can't trample infidels when you're a tortoise. I mean, all you could do is give them a meaningful look.

- Terry Pratchett

The leading thief glared at the solid stone that had swallowed Mort, and then threw down his knife. 'Well, ----me,' he said. 'A ----ing wizard. I HATE ----ing wizards!' 'You shouldn't ---- them, then,' muttered one of his henchmen, effortlessly pronouncing a row of dashes.

- Terry Pratchett, "Mort: A Discworld Novel"

" you know what happens to popular people...They get fat"

- Unknown

T.S. Elliot
---------------

cainam_nazier

They say your eyes are the secound thing that goes when you get old......I can't remember what the first one is.

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

I was born at night but it wasn't last night.

If tin wistles are made of tin then what's fog horn made of?

What behind the rabbit?  No it is the rabbit!  It's got teeth like this!

Bring out the Holy Hand Grenade.

David Rogalski

Ashfo

I dont know with what weapons World War III will be fought,
But World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

- Albert Einstein.

Its what you learn after you know it all that counts.

- Mark Twain?

- Ashfo

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"You are First Cause. You are a portion of the great energy. And you, yourselves are thought manifestations of what you think you are."
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Robin

And in the end he won the war after losing every battle -B Dylan

Robin
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2c2fq/index2.htm

cainam_nazier

Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

"Oh, I'm sorry! Did I say that out loud?"

David Rogalski

PeacefulWarrior

Quotes

Authors cited

"Of the estimated 500 million species of plants
and animals that have existed since life began on earth,
only about 2 million are here today.
This means that about 99.5 percent of
all species have become extinct."

Extinct and Vanishing Species
V. Ziswiler

"Humanity must stop behaving like a Gengis Khan
of the solar system and think of itself... as nature's co-pilot."

Edgar Morin,
French Sociologist

"We have for a long time being breaking little laws,
and the big laws are beginning to catch up with us."

A.F. Coventry

"We've poisoned the air, the water, and the land.
In our passion to control nature,
things have gone out of control.
Progress from now on has to mean something different.
We're running out of resources and
we are running out of time".

Robert Redford,
American Actor

"Mankind is part of nature and life depends on
the uninterrupted functioning of natural systems."

World Charter for Nature - Adapted by the
General Assembly of the United Nations, 1982

"The most important cause of extermination and the greatest threat
to wildlife is the destruction or alteration of habitat."

Breaking the Web
Utelz & Johnson

"The more devices we infent for dominating nature,
the more we must serve them if we are to survive."

The Revolt of Nature

"Without habitat, there is no wildlife.
It's that simple."

Wildlife Habitat Canada

"On a practical level conservation has been sustained
by an interplay between professionals and radical amateurs.
Professionals keep the movement organized. Amateurs keep it honest.
The ghosts of Muir and Pinchot still wrestle for control -
in a fractious but symbiotic embrace."

Stephen Fox -
John Muir & his Legacy

"What has gone wrong, probably, is that we have failed
to see ourselves as part of a large and indivisable whole.
For too long, we have based our lives on a primitive feeling
that our "God-given" role was to have "dominion over
the fish of the sea and over the fowl of the air and
over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."  
We have failed to understand that the
earth does not belong to us, but we do the earth."

Rolf Edberg

"How can you buy or sell the sky, the warmth of the land?
The idea is strange to us.
If we do not own the freshness of the air
and the sparkle of the water, how can you buy them?
We are part of the Earth, and it is part of us...
We know the white man does not understand our ways.
One portion of land is the same to him as the next -
for he is a stranger who comes in the night
and takes from the land whatever he needs."

Chief Seattle, 1854

"If a tree falls in the forest, does anybody hear?
Anybody hear the forest fall?
Cut and move on and take out the trees
take out wildlife at a rate of a species every single day
take out people who lived with this for 100,000 years -
inject a billion burgers of beef -
grain eaters - methane dispensers -
Through thinning ozone,
waves fall on wrinkled earth -
gravity, light, ancient refuse of stars,
speak of a drowning -
but this, this is something other,
busy monster eats dark holes in the spirit world
where wild things have to go to disappear forever...
If a tree falls in the forest, does anybody hear?
Anybody hear the forest fall?

Bruce Cockburn,
Canadian singer

"There is but one earth, one biota, and our actions
in the developed and developing world alike are destroying
that which is irreplaceable. There are no quick solutions...
nor is there a second chance."

US National Science Board 1989

"We known ourselves to be made from this earth.
We know this earth is made from our bodies.
For we see ourselves.
And we are nature.
We are nature seeing nature.
We are nature with a concept of nature.
Nature weeping.
Nature speaking of nature to nature."

Susan Griffin
Woman and Nature

"After all, we cannot expect nature's foregiveness forever".

Monte Hummel
World Wildlife Fund Canada

"I am pessimistic about the human race
Because it is too ingenious for its own good.
Our approach to nature is to beat it into submission.
We would stand a better chance of survival if
We accommodated ourselves to this planet
And viewed it appreciatively instead of
Skeptically and dictatorially".

E.B. White

What is the use of a house if you don't have
a decent planet to put it on?

Henry David Thoreau

"To waste, to destroy, our natural resources,
to skin and exhaust the land instead of
using it so as to increase its usefulness,
will result in undermining in the days of our children