News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Personality Type vs. Consciousness

Previous topic - Next topic

PeacefulWarrior

Greetings one and all!

I am an old timer here, albeit one who doesn't haunt these halls as oft as I once did or as I'd like.  Anyhow, I recently took the Jung Typology Test (personality test) and found that I am an ENFP (Extraverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiving).  One of the hallmarks of the ENFP is the following:

"The physical world, both geos and kosmos, is the ENFP's primary source of information. Rather than sensing things as they are, dominant intuition is sensitive to things as they might be. These extraverted intuitives are most adept with patterns and connections. Their natural inclination is toward relationships, especially among people or living things."

I am interested to see what you all are.  Check out this email I recently sent to friends and family, use the links to find your way to the test and the various info portals about this kind of test, and then please post your results back here.  It'll be a great study for all of us.

-Daniel (PeacefulWarrior)

To save you from reading my whole email (below), here's the link to the test:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp
--------------------------------------
Hey, I am working, or supposed to be working, but I got on the personality type thing again, it's so fascinating.  I am an ENFP (I added the text about my personality type, the 'Champion Idealist" below, to give an idea of how this works).  I'd like to see what everyone is again.  Take the test below when you get the chance, if you want that is.  It's pretty cool.  Apparently some people base their management and even who they marry on this.  I also added the link to the Wiki definition of this type of test if you want to read more about it.  If you take it, email me with your personality type (4 letter acronym).

Also, I've added links to sites where you can read more about your type once you get it since sometimes the test site only gives a general description.

Here's the test:
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Once you have your results, compare yourself to your spouse (now this is more just for fun):
http://www.humanmetrics.com/infomate/InfoMatepass.asp

Read more about your personality type:
http://typelogic.com/

Here's what I am.  I think I know myself pretty well and I thought this was more or less a very accurate assessment of my craziness:

My HUMANMETRICS Type is ENFP, or Extroverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving, otherwise known as Champion Idealists.

The Champion Idealists are abstract in thought and speech, cooperative in accomplishing their aims, and informative and extraverted when relating with others. For Champions, nothing occurs which does not have some deep ethical significance, and this, coupled with their uncanny sense of the motivations of others, gives them a talent for seeing life as an exciting drama, pregnant with possibilities for both good and evil. This type is found in only about 3 percent of the general population, but they have great influence because of their extraordinary impact on others. Champions are inclined to go everywhere and look into everything that has to do with the advance of good and the retreat of evil in the world. They can't bear to miss out on what is going on around them; they must experience, first hand, all the significant social events that affect our lives. And then they are eager to relate the stories they've uncovered, hoping to disclose the "truth" of people and issues, and to advocate causes. This strong drive to unveil current events can make them tireless in conversing with others, like fountains that bubble and splash, spilling over their own words to get it all out.

Champions consider intense emotional experiences as being vital to a full life, although they can never quite shake the feeling that a part of themselves is split off, uninvolved in the experience. Thus, while they strive for emotional congruency, they often see themselves in some danger of losing touch with their real feelings, which Champions possess in a wide range and variety. In the same vein, Champions strive toward a kind of spontaneous personal authenticity, and this intention always to "be themselves" is usually communicated nonverbally to others, who find it quite attractive. All too often, however, Champions fall short in their efforts to be authentic, and they tend to heap coals of fire on themselves, berating themselves for the slightest self-conscious role-playing.
[/url]
We shall not cease from our exploration, and at the end of all our exploring, we shall arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Elliot
---------------
fides quaerens intellectum

nanook

hi, i am an mbti-infj (Ni,Fe,Ti,Se)

i am into types quite long and my message for you beginners is:

1) its all about 8 functions, not about four letters

Fe is completely different from Fi and so on...
either pay full attention to the EIGHT functions and develope an understanding of each one plus an understanding of how each one melts to a pair with a specific set of neigbour functions. or keep in mind that you are just scratching the surface wich WILL result in major misunderstandings. dont overvalue the J/P concept, at best dont even use it unless you know what it realy means!

the four letter code is usefull as a mnemonic rhyme for advanced typers, only

2) the mbti is on the inside.

keep in mind that descriptions of functions based on "resulting objective physical behavior of a person" may be good for a first understanding but they are wrong in the end. mbti&co are about introspective realities but observable behavior is about ego, about faking, about triyng hard, about compensating and whatnot....

3) the mbti is not everything.

learn also about the enneagram. it is "higher" (speaking integrally) therefore stronger. for example a front mbti intro-intuition may be killed by certain enneagram types, or a realy low intro-sensing may be pushed to a verry good functioning by another enneagram type. it will however still be in the same low postition (as claimes by the mbti type) when it comes to spontaniously reacting to situations. this means the subjective observation of "this function works well for me" does not have to mean its at front in the mbti chain.
in short: mbti does not really say where you are "good" or "weak". it's about attention order. often "normal" people have underdeveloped inferior functions, but gifted people may have full possible strengths with every function. still there would be the typespecific chain order.

4) you are not "your description"

dont believe in those type descriptions as if they where rules. you can not realy describe a type truely unless you talk about introspective stuff, but there is no language to do this, especially no language that would be understood by anyone in the same way. and as descriptions make portraits of how people or their functions show up when observed from the outside, there is only a vague statistical truth to descriptions. type is not about characters, its about how one EXPERIENCES his own human existance. imagine 16 people lying on the beach with closed eyes. a perfect type description would explain how they experience this situations differently. this cant be done with our stupid language. we have no words. you need a lot of empathy to understand the mbti. there are plenty of people without it who missuse the mbti to compensate just this lack. they want to nail people down. they talk a lot of bull* about types. be carefull, just because someone talks "scientifically" does not mean he understands anything. jung himself was actually more of an intuitive observer, than a technical theoryfanatic.

5) "they are among us"

never ever mix socionics with the mbti. i dont knwow for sure wheter any of the socionics type-function-chains actually exists in living people, but i know plenty of people with well observed approved mbti-chains (both introspective and 'objective' observed) and it would be sort of a rape to call them by the same-labeled 4letter socionics types.

what about spirituality?

yes, there are major differences in how mbti types experience stuff and where their strengths are. the existence of differences are quite obvious to any type observer. but i know of no reseach and it's all much more complicated than you may think when you are a beginner and you think you can play with analogies based on descriptions.

you like my spelling? my mbti type makes a good excuse for that ;)
mothertongue makes the rest
edit: corrected the worst, should be readable now

PeacefulWarrior

Cool reponse...I don't have time to read it all right now, nor the mental energy since you kind of spill forth, but it seems like you've given this plenty of thought.  Also, cool avatar pic!  See you later in the forums.

Dan
We shall not cease from our exploration, and at the end of all our exploring, we shall arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Elliot
---------------

nanook

oh, something else:

the humanmetrics test is not failproof (no test i know is that)

it called me infp once (urgh, me???) and calls me intj sometimes. (with only one +point for T). it's mainly four letter based, that's a weakness, as i oviously have a huge preference for Ti and none such for Te. i am still infj with every cell.

i really like this page: http://personalitypage.com for empathic descriptions.

and http://keirsey.com has a verry good test, but sais some strange things, but it quite good overall

Quotesince you kind of spill forth

you re right. damn, I did i again  :lol:

AndrewTheSinger

I was classified : Your Type is
INTJ
Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging

what pills do I need?
Where does this silence come from?

The untold past of the Earth: http://hiddenhistory.awardspace.com

jalef

lol

i am ENTJ   Extroverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
The truely wise man knows that he knows nothing!
  - Confuzius

PeacefulWarrior

If/when you post your results, also cute and paste some of the text that describes your personality type, it's more fun and informative that way.
T.S. Elliot
---------------

MisterJingo

Extraverted iNtuitive Thinking Perceiving

"Clever" is the word that perhaps describes ENTPs best. The professor who juggles half a dozen ideas for research papers and grant proposals in his mind while giving a highly entertaining lecture on an abstruse subject is a classic example of the type. So is the stand-up comedian whose lampoons are not only funny, but incisively accurate.

ENTPs are usually verbally as well as cerebrally quick, and generally love to argue--both for its own sake, and to show off their often-impressive skills. They tend to have a perverse sense of humor as well, and enjoy playing devil's advocate. They sometimes confuse, even inadvertently hurt, those who don't understand or accept the concept of argument as a sport.

Some Famous ENTPs:
Alexander the Great
Confederate General J. E. B. Stuart
Sir Walter Raleigh

CFTraveler

Your Type is
INFJ
Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging
Strength of the preferences %  
22 50 38 56

INFJ
Qualitative analysis of your type formula:

You are:
slightly expressed introvert

moderately expressed intuitive personality

moderately expressed feeling personality

moderately expressed judging personality

Apparently I'm just moderately expressed. :roll:

IequalMC2

Profile: INTP

INTPs are pensive, analytical folks. They may venture so deeply into thought as to seem detached, and often actually are oblivious to the world around them.

Precise about their descriptions, INTPs will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off. While annoying to the less concise, this fine discrimination ability gives INTPs so inclined a natural advantage as, for example, grammarians and linguists.

INTPs are relatively easy-going and amenable to most anything until their principles are violated, about which they may become outspoken and inflexible. They prefer to return, however, to a reserved albeit benign ambiance, not wishing to make spectacles of themselves.

A major concern for INTPs is the haunting sense of impending failure. They spend considerable time second-guessing themselves. The open-endedness (from Perceiving) conjoined with the need for competence (NT) is expressed in a sense that one's conclusion may well be met by an equally plausible alternative solution, and that, after all, one may very well have overlooked some critical bit of data. An INTP arguing a point may very well be trying to convince himself as much as his opposition. In this way INTPs are markedly different from INTJs, who are much more confident in their competence and willing to act on their convictions.

Mathematics is a system where many INTPs love to play, similarly languages, computer systems--potentially any complex system. INTPs thrive on systems. Understanding, exploring, mastering, and manipulating systems can overtake the INTP's conscious thought. This fascination for logical wholes and their inner workings is often expressed in a detachment from the environment, a concentration where time is forgotten and extraneous stimuli are held at bay. Accomplishing a task or goal with this knowledge is secondary."

"INTPs in the main are not clannish. The INTP mailing list, with a readership now in triple figures, was in its incipience fraught with all the difficulties of the Panama canal: we had trouble deciding on:

1) whether or not there should be such a group,
2) exactly what such a group should be called, and
3) which of us would have to take the responsibility for organization and maintenance of the aforesaid group/club/whatever. "

Introvert 67% Intuitive 38% Thinking 1% Perceiving 11%

paint1

Stookie

I tried, but I couldn't finish the test. I got to:

"Often you prefer to read a book than go to a party"

It totally depends. I like to go to parties, and I like to read. Is the party on a weeknight or a weekend? Who's going to be there? Is there going to be any Heineken? That question became a test in itself.

Selski

We all find nonsenses to believe in; it's part of being alive.

Rob

Quick note on these tests - the goal of the Jungian approach is to make yourself a balanced person, which means all the marks should ideally be close to the middle as possible. I had a lecturer who worked on herself and went from being introverted to balanced, and balanced one of the others too I think. So its very possible!  :smile: But it takes all types. Perfetion is an imperfect concept hehe
(!!!Formerly known as Inguma!!!)
You are the Alpha and the Omega. You are vaster than the universe and more powerful than a flaring supernova. You are truly incredible!!

nicedreams

Your Type is
INTJ
Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
22 62 1 22

INTJ type description by D.Keirsey
INTJ type description by J. Butt and M.M. Heiss

Qualitative analysis of your type formula

You are:
slightly expressed introvert

distinctively expressed intuitive personality

slightly expressed thinking personality

slightly expressed judging personality

The Present Moment

injaneer

ENFJ Here.

E        N        F       J
33   62   50   1

nicedreams

Rob

Nothing wrong with any of them, nicedreams! It shouldn't be a "better" or "worst" thing.
(!!!Formerly known as Inguma!!!)
You are the Alpha and the Omega. You are vaster than the universe and more powerful than a flaring supernova. You are truly incredible!!

PeacefulWarrior

It's interesting what was said by Inugma about trying to balance one's self out.  That makes sense.  I think moderation is a key principle in life.  If someone is just way too extroverted, they come off as, well, way too extroverted which is generally a very negative thing, and vice-versa.  

Very cool to think about, and even cooler to achieve.  I think I am going to go get a cool beverage.
T.S. Elliot
---------------

Beth

I kinda missed the hot topic boat on this one, but here are my results anyway!!

I am another INTJ -- one interpreter said:
QuoteThey are rather rare, comprising no more than, say, one percent of the population...
hmmm...I did a quick count of 5... 6, including me, just on this forum; WHAT DOES IT MEAN?....:think:

My Qualitative Analysis is:
•   moderately expressed introvert 44%
•   distinctively expressed intuitive personality 75%
•   slightly expressed thinking personality 12%
•   slightly expressed judging personality 1%

hmmm....not a golden mean to be seen with me. But what do they mean...slighting thinking???? Hell, that's all I seem to do these days is THINK!   :shock: Hmpf!

Well, I guess I still need to work on myself!  :confused:
And I was so sure that I was damn near close to being a perfectly balanced entity!  :locolaugh:  

Some more highlights into who I am:

Quote... there is one attitude that sets them apart from other Rationals: they tend to be much more self-confident than the rest, having, for obscure reasons, developed a very strong will.
(ya think??? :wink: )  Apparently this makes me a "Mastermind" (bwahahaha... :heh:  because it further states:
QuoteTo the Mastermind, organizational structure and operational procedures are never arbitrary, never set in concrete, but are quite malleable and can be changed, improved, streamlined
Get behind me! Oh you abusers of organized religion!!! :boxing2:  
QuoteIn their drive for efficient action, Masterminds are the most open-minded of all the types.
I would like to think that this is one of my best attributes! :heartsmile:
QuoteNo idea is too far-fetched to be entertained-if it is useful.
Key operative word here is USEFUL!!! :wink:
QuoteMasterminds are natural brainstormers, always open to new concepts and, in fact, aggressively seeking them.
Gimme, gimme, gimme.... :idea:
QuoteThey are also alert to the consequences of applying new ideas or positions.
:seesaw:
QuoteTheories which cannot be made to work are quickly discarded by the Masterminds.
Yep. Some things just have to get the bump ... :bump:
QuoteOn the other hand, Masterminds can be quite ruthless in implementing effective ideas, seldom counting personal cost in terms of time and energy.
Don't I know it... :brickwall:

And then another interp said:
QuotePerhaps the most fundamental problem is that INTJs really want people to make sense.
And why, I ask, has this never become a cool thing to do?? The world would be SO much better off if all non-sensical people just gave up embracing the "stupids" and went with good rational sense instead!  Does anyone else agree? :question:

All seriousness aside, however, I think by and large, this test is actually pretty close...so, pretty cool! Thanks Peaceful...(btw: nice to see you again! :smile: )

~Beth

p.s. Of course, not one of the interpreters mentioned a tendency to revert to an absurd use of emoticons when forced to face one's true self...  :redface:
Become a Critical Thinker!
"Ignorance is the greatest of all sins."
                   --Origen of Alexandria

El-Bortukali

Your Type is
ISTP
Introverted   Sensing   Thinking   Perceiving
100   25   88   11

Qualitative analysis of your type formula

You are:

* very expressed introvert
   * moderately expressed sensing personality
   * very expressed thinking personality
   * slightly expressed perceiving personality
Tá mo chroí istigh ionat

Astir

I took this test recently. I am another INTJ. I can believe they might be less rare in this forum.
78 % "I" or introvert.