News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Piracy: ethics and morals

Previous topic - Next topic

no_leaf_clover

QuoteAnyways, if you feel so strongly about your views, will you try to enact changes in laws to compensate? For that matter, will you run for office? I'm just trying to gauge how "strongly" you really feel about this.

Well that would be a bad way to approach that question then, because I don't think I could ever go into politics for anything. The whole system is too far gone.

QuoteAnd by the way, I think that Beethoven would have had a fit if he knew that people could just record his music onto a disc and never have to listen to him again if they wanted to hear "his" music.

I don't know; he was a horrible conductor, and that was before he went deaf  :wink:
What is the sound of no leaves cloving?

Telos

Smilodon... thank you very much for that post.

That adds a lot of perspective.

Telos

QuoteThe whole system is too far gone.

See, that's what I'm talking about. Where's your spirituality? Don't you have faith in change?

no_leaf_clover

QuoteWhere's your spirituality? Don't you have faith in change?

Faith in the system to change?  :?:

Telos

I mean, don't you have faith that you can make a change in society? Or to put it in new age terms, a change in your reality?

wisp

If a new or unknown artist comes on the scene. The person  wants to become known among the population. They give their music free to the media (radio,tv) in order to receive recognition and acceptance. This is free advertising and promotion. If the song sells (becomes popular and in demand), it now begins to have value.

Instead of an artist taking freely of this opportunity, make it a cost to them. Unless...

Their in the true spirit of sharing. They receive free promotion and advertisement to get started, and continued free advertising. A radio station provides free advertising each time the song is played.

If, on the other hand, this person's successes (it wouldn't be an issue if not) lead them to not want to share the wealth, then make them pay for their own advertising of any addirional songs. They should pay before their material is even placed on the airways, unless the media pays for them,.... not likely. That's why new songs are played experimentally in the first place.

To put it simply, if an artist wants ALL of it's listeners to pay, then they shouldn't receive benefits. If this happened, I believe they would change their tune.

For instance. Telos wants to give a performance on a television program. He makes up a contract. Would it happen?
Let's say someone gives Telos a chance but without the contract. Would Telos?

Telos makes it big. Does Telos turn on those who brought him this opportunity?

Do the people responsible for creating Telo the star,know they can change things?

There should be a way of telling who are the artists willing to share their gift. Those are the only ones I would buy from. I wouldn't want to listen to anyone who isn't (let alone, buy).

What could those selfish ones have to offer?  There is no honor among the entire bunch of them. I wouldn't contaminate my mind with their garbage.

Leannain

Quote from: TelosI mean, don't you have faith that you can make a change in society? Or to put it in new age terms, a change in your reality?

is that question only for no_leaf_clover or for all of us?
if it's only for him,i apologize

well, i cant make a change in society because I'm too far insignificant to influence it in any way  :)

Telos

QuoteThey give their music free to the media (radio,tv) in order to receive recognition and acceptance.

Do you know of an actual instance of this happening?

Wisp, I'm trying to follow but I'm finding it very difficult. I apologize, I just have too much business school garbage in my head now.

Radio stations focus group songs to gauge their popularity before broadcasting them. Along with other devices of marketing research, they learn how good a song is and how often they should play it. This information is valuable and costs money, and is likely done in concert with distribution companies en masse in order to save on costs and to streamline the process. There is no free publicity on radio as far as I can see.

If someone is in the true spirit of sharing, then they don't own anything. Not even their own ideas.

Smilodon29A

You always CAN and DO make a change in society.

The more influence you have on more people, the more you change your surroundings, thus you change them, weather you are aware of it or not.

No matter how insignificant changes you are making in the big picture, you are defiantly making some.

And no one knows how much they can change society, directly or indirectly.
Indirectly in the meaning, lets say that you influence a guy to write something, you encourage him, and that changes millions of peoples lives...

The idea of changing (or not changing) society is more in depth than it seams.
If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
      --Anonymous
There cannot be a crisis next week.  My schedule is already full.
      --Henry Kissinger

Leannain

nah
scientists are the ones who make impacts
and those people have very high IQ's
i'd suprise myself if i even fit in the "normal " iq society

Kazbadan

I can have impact in society: i can make all women around me becoming crazy ;)

(ok, ok...i am kiding: not all the womens: just the ones i want to get crazy: sexy hots babys and things like that...about old womens, that ones i cannot make them going crazy because i dont like them).

AS yo can see its easy to have impact in the world around you :D
I love you!

Smilodon29A

Lol you did demonstrate my point, although you were not serious  :P
If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
      --Anonymous
There cannot be a crisis next week.  My schedule is already full.
      --Henry Kissinger

no_leaf_clover

QuoteI mean, don't you have faith that you can make a change in society? Or to put it in new age terms, a change in your reality?

Well, I plan on having a place to live out in the country by a stream where I can produce/gather my own food, run simple electrical devices off of manual generators, etc., so that I can be completely independent of the system and not have to worry about it. Is that what you mean by changing my reality? :?

As far as changing the system itself, I'd rather spend my time elsewhere. People are being constantly manipulated by the media and trying to get changes by speaking out I think would only give me gray hair. I may 'speak out' in my own way, though I don't know how much good that would really do either.

Telos

QuotePeople are being constantly manipulated by the media

Skeptics say the same thing about new agers... that we're manipulated by the media that sells us junk science.

In reality, the media is following market principles and gives the people what they want in the style they want. If it looks like crap, it's because people want crap.

It will change when people stop wanting crap.

wisp

Telos,
Oh my, thanks for bringing me back into this century. I had forgotten about the programmed machinery. I guess opting out of the system has left me out of touch (thank goodness).

So, 99 cents a song makes sense now. I'm glad I bought up alot of cassetts when they were going out.

Maybe you can start a real estate thread.  :)

no_leaf_clover

QuoteSkeptics say the same thing about new agers... that we're manipulated by the media that sells us junk science.

In reality, the media is following market principles and gives the people what they want in the style they want. If it looks like [edit], it's because people want [edit].

It will change when people stop wanting [edit].

Yeah, I don't doubt that at all. I was referring more to the media on politics, though. What happens a lot is we're presented with two choices or views, etc. and expected to choose between them without thinking outside of the box - and of course we do with no problem because we feel that our voice is making a difference in a way we feel is productive. We're also constantly barraged with things that have absolutely no bearing on us, like the Jackson case. Similarly gay rights and the mission to Mars, etc. are periodically brought up to distract attention. The government wouldn't get away with nearly so much if the media was actually on our side rather than theirs (the government's).

I saw a bit of Fox News the other day and was shocked at the psychology they use to push their agendas. Even the commercials! I don't think they can even joke about being fair and balanced anymore - it's become ring-wing enough to make up for every liberal news network on the planet and then some.

On some random side note I went to Wal-Mart this evening (yes, I know  :( ) and saw a deck of cards with the presidents on them, and on the box was a picture of George Washington side by side with George W. Bush. It was disgusting. I suppose it would be like being in Nazi Germany in the late 1930s and seeing a picture of Hitler right next to (insert name of great German leader here).  :?