News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Sexual Taboo to Legality

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyciol

So, with gay marriage spreading in acceptance, which do you think is next major issue for the north American and European societies?

There's incest... beastiality... pedophilia... polygamous marriage... and meh, I'm feeling a desire to talk about something controversial, everyone avoids that around here, while it's actually a major philosophical issue.

Frank

Death

The last taboo.

Yours,
Frank

Nay

Quote from: TyciolSo, with gay marriage spreading in acceptance, which do you think is next major issue for the north American and European societies?

There's incest... beastiality... pedophilia... polygamous marriage... and meh, I'm feeling a desire to talk about something controversial, everyone avoids that around here, while it's actually a major philosophical issue.

Ha!  You're always wanting to talk about something controversial, I noticed that after the first few post you ever made.  :D

From the way you put it across...do you have a problem with Gay marriages?  I ask that because you lumped it with incest, beastiality and so on and so forth, which I find narrow minded, but eh...that is just me.

How about a real issue, like medicinal marijuana?  I for one think they should make it legal.

If you're just looking for some word play, I know there has got to be sites just made for that..if not, we should really look into that huh?  :wink:

James S

Ok Tyciol,
If you want to talk controvesial, how about the western legal systems start being completely open to all those "socially" and "morally" unacceptable aspects of sexuality that have been forced upon us by the oppressively controlling religious systems we mistakenly believe to be for our own good?

Why not take the view that if sex and sexuality wasn't frowned upon so much by the morally upright, or is that morally uptight, then there'd be a little less restriction on the development of personal relationships, a little more room in this world for people to actually be able to show expressions of love towards eath other, and a lot less in the way of violent sex crimes.

James.

Nagual

What is so wrong about polygamy...?

http://www.polygamy.com/

Why should I love only one person?
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Jenadots

The polygamists of Utah are already making moves to legalize it.

Only problem I have with it is that it is only the men who get to have more than one spouse.

Why not the women having more than one husband?  I am sure the polygamists don't intend for that to happen.

But why not?  I would like to have two, working husbands so I can finally be a lady of leisure and feel pampered.  :wink:

karnautrahl

I definitly think we got your post! :-)

As for taboos. Laws based on only religious viewpoints feel very wrong to me. I cannot assert they are definitly wrong in all cases of course-I am only stating what I feel :-). Personally wouldn't obey a law that gets in the way of my life if the ONLY reason for it's existence is religion and not something more real to me. Though it's interesting how by and large most people probably roughly go along with a lot of the basic commandments more or less.

I don't think there should be any legal no-no's regarding any sexual activity involving consenting adults no matter what it is as long as A)No kids (yeah there is the thing about where the line is drawn and it differs I know) and B) it does not involve any non consensual abuses of another living being-whether they are emotional or physical. To me that word abuse can also mean inflicting emotional distress on bystanders -i.e having a full blown "scene" in public etc.  
What people do with discretion and noting the above points should be their own business. The law and religion could do with butting out on that one.
There is one caveat with religion, whilst no legal intervention should ever happen, people do turn to their faith for advice when there are consequence for their fun. That's a different realm :-)

BTW This is nothing more than yet another opinion, mine-rambling and worth about as much as any other :-).
QuoteThere's incest... beastiality... pedophilia... polygamous marriage... and meh, I'm feeling a desire to talk about something controversial, everyone avoids that around here, while it's actually a major philosophical issue.

Incest is something that people instinctively don't like-where that "instinct" comes from I don't know so I'll leave this one-I know I wouldn't want to get into it.

Paedophilia is an abuse (even though the greek word used is actually misapplied somewhat) of someone's right to choose for themselves when it's appropriate for them to explore sexuality. It feels deeply wrong and rightly is pretty much out of bounds for most of the world. I'm sure someone feeling controversial will find an arguement if they really want to.

Bestiality-where's the consent? Tough one, as I don't many people who speak horse, dog etc etc and animals can be "groomed" to respond favourably-so I'd put this into the abuse catagory for the most part.

The multiple marriage thing-comes under consenting adults, if there's been no unfair manipulations of any of the partners and the love is there-why should the law interfere really? Oh damn it's the christian thing again. We really have got to get the Bible out of our law books. A good law is one that is good for all faiths.  Oooh that was SOOO pompous :-).

Any others to discuss? :-)  I just like commenting on this stuff. Note the distinct lack of any spirituality context to this.  What sexual things do for a persons spiritual life has certainly got to be determined by the individual. I would say.

Any sexual discrimination just ain't on.
May your [insert choice of deity/higher power etc here] guide you and not deceive you!

Agntneo

I think gay marriges should be allowed, for the other stuff I don't know what to say.

Other than yes, medical marijuana should be legal and possesion and use should be decriminalized or even legalized.

Personally, I think Cannabis would give patients alot of good things, but hey smoking anything isn't good for you.

If doctors continue to research on the plant they could make derivates and make new medicine from the plant which could be very benificial for everyone.

Thanks,

Ian
People Can Fly

GorillaBait

The only necessary law is that a person shall not violate another person's civil rights.  After that, there needs to be some debate on what civil rights entail, but that should be fairly straightforward.  Does anyone disagree with me on this?  It would simplify the legal system drastically.  No longer would offending someone be a crime, e.g. homosexuality, which hurts no one except those whom are offended by it.

James S

Good observations there karnautrahl, on the nastier examples Tyciol used.

The thing that stands out to me the most about your thoughts on incest, paedophilia and beastiality, and rightly so I feel, is that they, and many other sexual acts considered to be perverted, are not done in love. They are done out of base physical desires - ego.

Where people desire to physycally express their true love for each other, there should be no restrictions placed upon them. This only leads to repression and resentment. This unnatural repression is the main reason we see all the negatives of sexuality as we do. There are still isolated tribal societies in this world where people are raised without any fear or guilt of sex or sexuality. In these societies, there is no prostitution, no sex crimes.

By the way, Jenadots,

You'd be happy to know that a good example of an ancient culture that practiced open marriages (if you could call it marriage) were the Celts. In their society the women were free to choose the partners they wanted, and were free to change partners when they wanted.

I tend to agree though that in its present form, polygamy seems to be benefitting the men more than the women, which really doesn't make it an equitable arrangement. It's more like a bunch of horny guys getting to live out their fantasies.

Regards,
James.

Nostic

What I think about all the issues in this thread is that it must have been inevitable that people would engage in them at some point or another. If it can be conceived of, it will be done... eventually. I think that's just the nature of man... the nature of nature... the nature of Gods creation, where all possibilities are expressed. Further, everyone has their own particular lessons to lean... their own particular ways to grow. Everything will work itself out in the end.

Man does seem to like learning his lessons the hard way though. :?

no_leaf_clover

QuoteWhy not take the view that if sex and sexuality wasn't frowned upon so much by the morally upright, or is that morally uptight, then there'd be a little less restriction on the development of personal relationships, a little more room in this world for people to actually be able to show expressions of love towards eath other, and a lot less in the way of violent sex crimes.

More open expressions of love and a lot less of anything hurtful or violent in the world :D Too bad it seems so hard to achieve :/

QuoteIf it can be conceived of, it will be done... eventually. I think that's just the nature of man... the nature of nature... the nature of Gods creation, where all possibilities are expressed.

It's as if the universe is the ultimate artistic expression by the ultimate consciousness, and at the same time a self-exploration.
What is the sound of no leaves cloving?