News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Take it easy guys.

Previous topic - Next topic

personalreality

we're all here to continue doing better.  lol, kidding.  i'm sure things have gone up and down over the years.
be awesome.

DraregElder

Dang, 75 post! From "The Great and Wonderful Oz" wannabes? I visit here maybe once a month, hoping
for some insight, or perhaps a little inspiration. I pick a topic with several post, thinking I'll find more varied input that way.

My oh my, what a let down this time! I know that everyone needs to vent sometimes, but really?
Don't y'all  "Big Stars"  have a better, more private place to exchange your love letters?!?
Lately it's occurred to me, what a long strange trip it's been...  the Dead

Lexy

I just love the title.  8-) this should prolly be in astral chat, it's not really about OBE's
"Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves."

Astral316

Quote from: DraregElder on May 04, 2011, 00:14:38

Dang, 75 post! From "The Great and Wonderful Oz" wannabes? I visit here maybe once a month, hoping
for some insight, or perhaps a little inspiration. I pick a topic with several post, thinking I'll find more varied input that way.

My oh my, what a let down this time! I know that everyone needs to vent sometimes, but really?
Don't y'all  "Big Stars"  have a better, more private place to exchange your love letters?!?

I agree... this topic was largely unnecessary when it was posted and now it's just an eyesore. Let's discuss ideas and experiences, not members and protocol.

personalreality

i stated clearly in the first post that the moderators were welcome to move it to another topic if they felt it was necessary.

also, we don't give ourselves stars and none of us think we're the "elite" because we are "big star" people. 

DraregElder, you said it yourself, you only come around once a month.  You have no input in this conversation as it pertains to regular postings.  If it isn't your cup of tea, don't read it.

That said, I agree, this became a useless post.  I was trying to share a concern that I have based on the outrageous amount of people who have PMed me because they didn't feel welcome asking their questions to the open forum out of what they felt was harassment by other members.  I don't even know what this turned into, but my point was missed and made no difference.  I suppose I can't be the advocate I was trying to be.

Nevertheless, I've got the stars so I guess I'll keep running my mouth all I want because I'm obviously better than all of you one-star folks.  So from now on, I would thank you lowly one or two star people to just not talk to me period.  I have no time for you.
be awesome.

Xanth

You guys are right.

But honestly, I think this was a great thread.  I don't usually like these "therapy-threads", as this isn't the point of this forum... but, in this case, it was sorely needed.

Astral316

Since this thread is where we air the dirty laundry... I think it's absurd that the only regular mod here has to consult other mods that only visit sporadically in order to ban blatant trolls. This isn't an issue on any other forum I've been apart of. I couldn't care less who's running this place but if there's only one persistent mod he should be given the power to at least do the job without feeling apprehensive about it. I mean this is getting beyond ridiculous.

personalreality

Quote from: Astral316 on May 04, 2011, 13:02:54
Since this thread is where we air the dirty laundry... I think it's absurd that the only regular mod here has to consult other mods that only visit sporadically in order to ban blatant trolls. This isn't an issue on any other forum I've been apart of. I couldn't care less who's running this place but if there's only one persistent mod he should be given the power to at least do the job without feeling apprehensive about it. I mean this is getting beyond ridiculous.

They don't have to consult with the other mods.  The mods that never stop by know that they don't stop by and don't expect decisions to be made with their approval.  Xanth and Stookie are probably trying to give the trolls the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps we need some slightly more dictatorial mods that won't hesitate to nip a problem in the bud before it gets out of control.  You should campaign Astral.  lol.
be awesome.

Astral316

Quote from: personalreality on May 04, 2011, 13:48:10Perhaps we need some slightly more dictatorial mods that won't hesitate to nip a problem in the bud before it gets out of control.  You should campaign Astral.  lol.

Thanks? Lol, I'm not qualified to run this place nor do I want it becoming a chore. I just think if we want that friendly, respectful atmosphere the powers that be shouldn't be reluctant to pick a few bad apples out of the bunch.

personalreality

be awesome.

DraregElder

"Nevertheless, I've got the stars so I guess I'll keep running my mouth all I want because I'm obviously better than all of you one-star folks.  So from now on, I would thank you lowly one or two star people to just not talk to me period.  I have no time for you".
[/quote]

Yeah, you sure put me in my place didn't ya. But didn't you start this thread to champion the rights of us lowly, new and occasional posters from the elite??
Me thinks you take yourself a wee bit too serious,  friend...   
Lately it's occurred to me, what a long strange trip it's been...  the Dead

Lexy

"Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves."

personalreality

Quote from: DraregElder on May 04, 2011, 15:57:11
Yeah, you sure put me in my place didn't ya. But didn't you start this thread to champion the rights of us lowly, new and occasional posters from the elite??
Me thinks you take yourself a wee bit too serious,  friend...   

lol, we need a good sarcasm emoticon.  obviously that was a joke, perhaps at your expense and if i offended you i apologize, i really didn't mean any disrespect.

the reason i started this post was because i haven't been around the pulse very frequently for a couple months and upon my return i began receiving private messages from mostly new members who felt like they were treated like their questions and concerns weren't important or valid.  i'm not ok with that.  i was once a new member and i know how it feels when you have questions that you must find answers too.  i also know how it feels when your question gets blown off.  i didn't want to start a big mess, i just wanted all the members of this forum (new and old) to stop, count to 10 and make sure that what they're about to post is really the right thing for them to post.  that's all. 

i had no intention of "putting you in your place", i don't even know you.  my comments toward you were simply intended to inform you that since you don't come around too often, you might not be aware of the trends in attitude around the forums.  that's all.  no ill intent i assure you.

it's not about me taking myself seriously.  i felt bad for all the people that came to me because they felt wronged.  i thought my intent here was fairly benign, really didn't think people would get so offended by it (not saying that you are, just talking about everyone here in general).  i just wanted to alert the members of the community to a perceived injustice, because i believe all of us here are caring people and wouldn't want to intentionally hurt other people.  but sometimes we all get caught up in the heated debates around here, it's natural.

so no hard feelings anyone who felt put off by this thread.  i really didn't mean to upset anyone.  apologies if any of you were offended, that wasn't my goal.
be awesome.

Stookie_

My mistake for bringing up mod-forum-nastiness in here, I was a bit frustrated that afternoon, not entirely with Xanth, but with the lack of help and administration we needed behind the scenes. I apologize for that. I've been done with modding for a while and wanted to get some new mods in here before I left, but it doesn't look like it's happening, so I'm out. I will continue on as a member with this new account though. I can't demote myself to member and no one else is around to do it, so I had to delete it and start fresh. Hopefully now that I'm gone as mod they'll get some more on. I just want to help those who are seeking, I don't need to mod to do that. Again guys, sorry for any bad vibes.  8-)

personalreality

be awesome.

Stillwater

That makes sense stookie.

"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic

Xanth

I'm sorry that it had to come to this though.  :(

I'm gonna definitely follow through with trying my hardest to get Adrian to promote the two we've selected.
And I guess we'll need to make a few more choices in the near future as well.  I'd, personally, like to see at least five active moderators.

I'll push Adrian as much as I can to get this done, I promise. 

And Stookie... your decision to further participate on the forum is most appreciated too.  :)

Stookie_

Summerlander

Quote from: Stookie_ on May 06, 2011, 10:42:36
My mistake for bringing up mod-forum-nastiness in here, I was a bit frustrated that afternoon, not entirely with Xanth, but with the lack of help and administration we needed behind the scenes. I apologize for that. I've been done with modding for a while and wanted to get some new mods in here before I left, but it doesn't look like it's happening, so I'm out. I will continue on as a member with this new account though. I can't demote myself to member and no one else is around to do it, so I had to delete it and start fresh. Hopefully now that I'm gone as mod they'll get some more on. I just want to help those who are seeking, I don't need to mod to do that. Again guys, sorry for any bad vibes.  8-)

You are a gem. That is very honourable of you. Btw, I thought you were great as a mod and in fact I learnt something from you..."don't rise to the occasion". I'm glad to still have you here though. :-)

Stillwater

If you read Plato's Republic, he explains that positions of leadership should be extremely unattractive and with no perks or benefits, and that therefore you will only attract people who want the position because they are afraid of someone else having it, and doing a much worse job, and causing harm as a result.

In line with this, anytime I have been in a leading position in any organization that was worthwhile or meaningful to me, it has always been tons of work, and not any fun, which is absolutely how it should be.  :wink:

Sometimes I feel like they should make it 80 times less fun to be the president here in the U.S. Like the whitehouse is actually a big hovel made out of dirt blocks and scraps of rubish, and everytime you wakeup, your secretary of state is there waiting and punches you in the face, and then there is a drill sargent in the next room who screams at you for all the mistakes you made, and tells you that you can ring this big bell when you are finally ready to quit.

Or maybe when Congress decides to go to war, they shoot every tenth congressman, so they are sure they really mean it.

personalreality

Which is another reason why plato hated democracy.
be awesome.

Stillwater

Yeah, Plato liked more of a paternalistic government. He did not go for group rule, since he felt that the only people that should rule are the people best suited to it- his "philospher kings", haha. In theory, if it was thoroughly unatrractive to rule, you would only be recruiting those who feared power falling into the wrong hands otherwise. He also believed in state-censorship too. His version of ideal governemnt probably equates to fascism in many peoples eyes today.  8-)

Astral316

Quote from: Stillwater on May 06, 2011, 13:43:19
If you read Plato's Republic, he explains that positions of leadership should be extremely unattractive and with no perks or benefits, and that therefore you will only attract people who want the position because they are afraid of someone else having it, and doing a much worse job, and causing harm as a result.

This may be true for those leaders that aren't in it for the power, status, luxury, or fame... but I think if you wish to possess any of these elements (materialist mindset) they will be the "perks or benefits" to counteract the added stress, responsibility and potential for an overall unhappy life. It's that desire to put a legacy ahead of your own well-being.

personalreality

Quote from: Stillwater on May 06, 2011, 14:20:00
Yeah, Plato liked more of a paternalistic government. He did not go for group rule, since he felt that the only people that should rule are the people best suited to it- his "philospher kings", haha. In theory, if it was thoroughly unatrractive to rule, you would only be recruiting those who feared power falling into the wrong hands otherwise. He also believed in state-censorship too. His version of ideal governemnt probably equates to fascism in many peoples eyes today.  8-)

he also hated democracy because the only votes that actually counted were those of the indecisive middle, who by all accounts would be uninformed and the worst people to make the decisions.  the idea is that say 90% of people are very sure and firm on their vote.  they have done the research, they know the policies and platforms of who they vote for and are educated in such matters.  half of them vote for one candidate, half for the other, which effectively cancels their votes out.  the remaining 10% are those people who really don't know, are on the fence right up until the end, and ultimately make a decision on a whim.  this last 10% are the ones that sway the election one way or the other.  in the end, someone gets voted into office based not on merit and a strong policy, but rather on ambiguous ideals that the indecisive few managed to glean right before the election.
be awesome.

Xanth

We call those people the "Toaster Vote".  They're the ones who really end up determining the results in any election.

Ann Coulter was where that term came from:
"The swing voters -- I like to refer to them as the idiot voters because they don't have set philosophical principles. You're either a liberal or you're a conservative if you have an IQ above a toaster."