News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Buddhists "hold key to happiness"

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I like the article, but would broaden it from Buddhists to meditators. There have been studies done over the years as to what a physiological, emotional and mental benefit meditation produces. There are some people at my office who are taking all these antidepressants and mood stabilizers just to function. When I mention meditation, invariably they smile with a "that's not for me" look. Go figure.

Very best,
"What lies before us, and what lies behind us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us...." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

rodentmouse

hello  good people :D

i  came across  this article in the  newspaper the other day, see what  you think....

Buddhists "hold key to happiness"

Budddhists spend there lives seeking enlightenment  through deep meditation.
Now  scientists have  used followers of the religion to  discover the secret of happiness.
New research suggests  joy lies  just behind  the forehead, in the brains left prefrontal lobes.
This part  of the brain is associated with positive emotions and good mood. In  experienced Buddhists, it is consistently active.
Prof Richard Davidson,  head of the research at the University of Wisconsin, called the results "tantalising"

"we can now hypothesise  with some confidence  that  those apparently  happy, calm  Buddhist  souls one regularly  comes across in places  such as Dharamsala, India- the Dalai lamas home- really are happy". he told new scientist magazine.

Behind  those  calm exteriors lie persistently frisky left prefrontal lobes.
It was unlikely that Tibetan Buddhists were born with a happiness gene that activated there left prefrontal lobes, added Mr Davidson.
It was more probable  that something about Buddhist practise produced happiness.
Seperate research found experienced meditators did not get as flustered, shocked or suprised as ordinary people.
This suggested they could control the amygdala- part of the brain which makes a person feel fear and anxiety.
"no antidepressant makes a person happy" concluded Mr Davidson.
"on the other hand, Buddhist  meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500  years before Prozac, can lead to profound happiness.