News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Using Tarot to connect with your intuition

Previous topic - Next topic

Gandalf

I was just wondering how many people out there have had similar success as me with using Tarot cards?

I am not normally one to be a sucker for a lot of new age stuff, but I have found that Tarot DOES work very well as an oracle. When I say 'oracle', i mean that in its modern sense as a means to connect with your intuition to provide guidance in making decisions about your life. The Tarot is highly symbolic, utilising dream-like metaphoric symbols and images and the cards have a variety of meanings which, when combined in a spread, prove to be very illuminating.

btw I don't subscribe to the idea of cards telling you that you will win the lottery next week or whatever. It is these kinds of 'predictions' which serve to discredit tarot cards and other oracles like runes etc. Proper oracles really tell you more about the *present* than the future and help you choose the best possible course of action given the possible scenarios..they provide the likely outcomes of taking a specific course of action and then leave you to make the decision.

There is nothing 'magical' about this. The tarot, like all proper oracles, is about providing an easy way to get in touch with your intuition, which is pretty much swamped by external stimuli for the most part in today's world.

Despite my initial sceptical view of them in the past, i have now grown to find them very useful, enjoyable and enlightning.

I was wondering about what other people think of them? esp. those who were sceptical as to their worth beforehand.

Doug
"It is to Scotland that we look for our idea of civilisation." -- Voltaire.

James S

Yay!! Well done Gandalf! That's EXACTLY what Tarot is all about.

the cards themselves, like any oracle cards have no intrinsic properties - they're a tool - a mediumship tool.

They help the reader to focus guidance from higher sources. Higer sources could be your own intuition - your own spirit self, it can also be spirit guides, particularly those guides that might be with a client that your doing a reading for.

Many experienced Tarot readers, who have developed true mediumship skills don't actually need to rely on the cards to recieve intuitive or spirit messages. In cases like this the cards are more of a prop. Even still, they can help a medium to focus in on particular things that may be important.
You're right that they won't give you next weeks lotto numbers. That's simply because such things are actually of little importance to us on a soul level.

I don't actually use tarot myself, I work and study with several people who do though. My gig is Numerology, which can still work in exactly the same way - someones "numbers" don't tell the story, they only point you in the right direction. You need to use intuition to get the story behind the numbers, and get the accurate readings for someone.

Blessings,
James.

Nay

I've used Tarot cards for some 9-10 years.

I never really thought too much of it at first, but I upheld what it calls for to read cards.  I read a friend at the beginning of me learning and understanding  them and interestingly enough...it seemed to come true!  Not only that....there were some things that I held back because of the audience that was present at the time, only to find that I was right thru and thru...( I had some things switched)

A year or so later the friend that I read said....a bit angerly I might add, "You are never to read my cards again!"

So I stopped completely.   Until a month ago. :D

I mentioned reading cards to another and they were so excited I couldn't help but pull them out again and to my utter astonishment, I didn't even need the little book that came with the cards anymore :shock:

I use to have to look up the meanings, but this time around....I heard what it meant, and not only that, I saw more into it...  Twas weird, yet a relief at the same time.   Weird because I had tried to memorize the meanings years before and gave up, relief because now I didn't need to look it up and look ummmm..silly. ;)

Of course the only way I figured out this lightbulb moment was because I had the book with me and looked it up after I had already heard it in my head, thus realizing I was right all along.  But what really got me was the "more into" stuff..... the, whys, and's, if's,  and but's that "came to me"  

After telling my friend this, she since has made me read her again..lol..  Lots of factors in it though, and I wonder if not being close to the person has some kind of bearing on it....

EDIT: I see James has posted...(miss ya)  I'll click submit now..lol

Nay.

Gandalf

Yeah, for my next experiment I want to get hold of a crystal ball (Don't laugh!). Seriously. Now I know more about how the different layers of consciousness work I can begin to see how these traditional scrying and oracular systems work.

With regard to crystal balls, as people will be aware, the traditional account talks of how practiced users can view pictures and scenes within the ball, from current events happening elsewhere, to possible future scenarios, perhaps possible scenarios based on the likeliest outcome of current variables (as well as completely fanciful results as well of course), just the same as with the intuition/tarot subject mentioned earlier.

Now, I don't actually own proper crystal ball, but the reason I thought of this was due to the fact that I was looking at a crystal bottle the other day with a 'crystal ball' style top. I immediatly thought of a crystal ball and looked into it and I noted its hypnotising effect right away, produced perhaps by the curvature of the glass and its distorting effect. I can now readily see how staring and focusing on such a device could greatly assist in bringing on what Frank would call an 'overlay' experience, where scenes from F2 or F3 (and also F1/physical) could be overlaid within the crystal ball, at least, that's how it would appear.

I now want to get hold of a proper crystal ball to see if I can get any results... Anyone know where I can get one?

Doug

wisp

Gandalf,
Yes on all said about the Tarot cards. I'm only a novice but find it touches on general truths. I have used angel cards for a time. Each card develops into it's own meaning. This, and many other divination methods do seem to help develop intuitive skills. I've found pendulums work in similar fashion, with an added energy factor.

Several years ago I experimented with a deck of Tarot cards. I became frightened by them, I pitched them.

I looked for a crystal ball for the longest time. I couldn't find one. Some time later, I saw them at a Barnes and Noble book store. I passed it up because I no longer felt like doing it. I changed my mind next time I was at the book store. I bought one for when I'm ready to use it. So far, the lighting is never right to see. I haven't had the right environment or focus to give it a good try yet.

It's interesting you are able to get something to come in through a crystal bottle. I've read Edgar Cayce (or was it Nostradamus?), used a bowl of water. I haven't tried this method yet.

The visual is alot like aura viewing.

Gandalf

Yes, i think you can use all sorts of things for scrying, but the classic crystal ball is obviously the 'sports model' of scrying devices!

Doug

bloodsong

This is going to sound silly as hell, but, when it comes to getting into that "hypnotized" state of mind for reading the cards, crystal gazing, or flame watching, my favorite tool is a Slinky.  Plain old toy, had it since I was 8 or 9, and when I picked it up again after finding it in high school, I first noticed the effect it had on a friend of mine.  He stared at the thing bouncing back and forth for 30 minutes.  Later, when he was gone, I noticed it had the same effect on me.  Decided to use it for scrying one day, been hooked since.

James S

It doesn't sound silly.

Crystal balls make use of impurities and fracture lines in their structure to provide us with something to focus our attention on. The rhythmic patterns in a Slinky will provide a similar kind of focal point.

coolbreeze

I've used tarot cards for a while now, 2-3 yrs. but I never really gave it much credit for actually working, but sometimes they did surprise me. I'll give it more of a chance!

Heather B.

I find Tarot very useful for thinking about life and yourself.  I don't think it will always apply specifically to what is happening, but every spread tells some truth, I think.  At the same time it's both universal truth, like a story, and also personal truth, because two people may interpret the story in the "colors" of their own experience and personality.  

Whenever I do a reading with someone else, I always throw out some of the possible meanings, but I always encourage them to look at the cards themselves and get their own meaning.  Anyone can "read" the cards.  Not everyone will read them the same way.  It's very subjective and complex.  The Tarot is based on archetypes, people or concepts that each of us knows on some level.  All of us can always identify with the images and what they symbolize.  

Carl Jung's psychoanalysis has tons to do with archetype and universal symbolism... the Collective Unconscious we all have, in which these symbols are stored.  And indeed I find that Tarot reading can really serve as a very effective kind of psychoanalytic therapy.  Plus, it can be entertaining--it's the stuff of fairy tales, legends, and folklore!  And the decks are just so beautiful and imaginative!  I like to collect them when I have spare money, just for the beauty.  I own 4 decks, but my preferred deck for reading is the Enchanted Tarot.  Very user friendly.
|*~.,.~*@*~.,.~*@*~.,.~*@*~.,.~*@*~.,.~*|
:sunny:  Heather B.
(formerly known as Almost Mrs. Murphy)

Sky, far away sky
A murmured voice:
"Your dreams now turn
the wheel of the stars."

--Arai Akino, "Tsuki no Ie"

Nick

I've been following this thread with interest, and do agree, as James has said above:

Quotethe cards themselves, like any oracle cards have no intrinsic properties - they're a tool - a mediumship tool.

The experience that I'd share is that when I had my cards read last, a couple of years ago, the woman who did the reading was quite accurate. She was certainly intuitive, and the cards were used as the vehicle for guidance.

Perhaps I'll buy a deck now.

Great thread Gandalf!  :)
"What lies before us, and what lies behind us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us...." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

.Rachel.

I have used tarot cards in the past, on and off, and they seem quite useful. A crystal ball, wouldn't dream of laughing, can be expensive though (from what I've seen). I like using tarot cards, they have a nice feel to them, does that sound odd? Ah i don't know, different packs have different things to them i find, and yes they are a good tool. I got my first pack years ago, and i must say it took me a while to get the basic meanings but from that prior knowledge i added my own interpretations and it went from there, and i do like using them though even though i haven't in a while, anyway enough from me ...

greatoutdoors

I've been thinking about buying a Tarot deck for awhile now, but the one I want is just a little more than I want to pay. I've also looked at crystal balls, but in the US they are expensive! (Note the common thread here -- I'm tight with a dollar!)  :wink:

One thing I was told by a shop keeper was the way to tell a glass sphere from true quartz crystal -- put a hand on them and feel. The glass sphere will have a temperature close to the ambient room temperature. The real quartz sphere will be distinctly cooler! It's just a property of the stone, but I hadn't thought about it -- pretty neat!

There's a store called Earthbound (I think) in the US that has various other types of spheres for reasonable prices. I almost bought one the last time I was in there but didn't have enough time to properly dither. I'll go back one of these times and pick one up.

I agree with what folks have been saying; the value of these tools is just to allow you to focus on your own intuition.

Gandalf

The Rider-Waite is the classic deck and also the best for beginners. Watch out as there are some really crappy decks out there which are just cashing in and the people who make them know zip about proper symbolism. The 'Vampire Tarot' anyone? Designed for teeny-goth types: there's a lot of crap out there.

Doug