News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

What are the top most damaging things for the soul?

Previous topic - Next topic

PlasmaAstralProjection

RobertForsythe

Quote from: PlasmaAstralProjection on July 26, 2016, 20:45:03
Pretty straightforward question?

*THE* most damaging is a tough call, imho.
But I think one of the most really damaging things that is pervasive and insidious beyond measure would be Lying.

Stillwater

QuoteBut I think one of the most really damaging things that is pervasive and insidious beyond measure would be Lying.

Hard to really say.

I think it is worth noting that this idea isn't culturally universal. Some cultures consider lying to be a major problem, others much less so.

To me, it isn't outwardly obvious that the isolated act of telling a lie is a negative, rather than merely a neutral.

I think there are many factors that have obvious ethical weights that come into play in the context of the act of lying though.

For instance, if a person tells a lie with the intent to cause harm, that seems like a major negative (but the negative is being applied from the intent here, it seems to me).

If a person is telling a lie in order to obtain something that isn't rightfully theirs, that seems like a major negative (for the same reason as above).

But if a person is telling a lie in order to benefit others? That may possibly be a positive.

Let's say there was a poison gas with a long and unpronouncable name, who's major effects were not apparent to the senses, but would render a person dead 20 hours after exposure, and this gas had been released for an unknown reason in a certain region. Would a person stationed there, telling people who approached that they had to stay away, because there was a dangerous mother bear in the area really be doing something negative? It is much harder to explain to people that something they can't see or sense, and there is no way to prove its existence quickly, will do them lethal harm, than to use the standin of a dangerous animal they will surely easily understand. Was this the best way to keep the people safe? Hard to say. Did the people stationed there do harm? I think probably not.

This may seem like a silly technicality, but I think it gets to the heart of the matter. The thing about lying that seems to carry ethical weight is the intent behind the lie.

-----------

Thinking back to Dante's Inferno, the most serious of all sins his Catholic theology could provide him with was betrayal.

Hard to say it is the worst, but betrayal is something most people universally seem to feel is an especially tragic form of terrible evil.

It consists of willfully harming others which are our family, friends, or allies (in other words, the people who we should most protect from harm, and who love and count on us).

To me, it is profound evil the enormity of which is hard to convey in words.
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic

Szaxx

One thing that fits the bill is when someone who comes over as a know it all and has no real knowledge on the subject. These types can interfere with the learning process and put a good persons intentions down.
On sites like the Pulse where so many want to know more on the sensitivity of the art, these trolls can totally halt any progress. This speaks for itself to those who are in a respected position in our subjective acceptance of 'is it real' and may prevent a person from finding that lost piece of the jigsaw they've been searching for decades to find.
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

WhiteMonkey

I don't think there is anything which could damaging our soul.

Xanth

The most damaging thing you can do is remove another person from this reality against their will (aka: kill another consciousness).
Why?  Because you're removing their ability to learn and grow... and nobody has the right to make that decision for another person (certain extremely rare circumstances aside, that is).

Lumaza

Quote from: Xanth on July 27, 2016, 12:07:12
The most damaging thing you can do is remove another person from this reality against their will (aka: kill another consciousness).
Why?  Because you're removing their ability to learn and grow... and nobody has the right to make that decision for another person (certain extremely rare circumstances aside, that is).
Unless of course that both of you made a agreement before you incarnated that he was to be the bad guy (killer) and you were the good guy (victim) this time around! Someone has to play the part of the "bad guy". Which opens a whole new conversation on "free will".  :|
"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."  Nicolai Tesla

RobertForsythe

Quote from: Lumaza on July 27, 2016, 18:40:56
Unless of course that both of you made a agreement before you incarnated that he was to be the bad guy (killer) and you were the good guy (victim) this time around! Someone has to play the part of the "bad guy". Which opens a whole new conversation on "free will".  :|

Well, I think it would be helpful if the OP clarified just what he means by "damaging for the soul".

Some say the soul can't be "damaged" and in the purest sense that is probably true but I read the question as  "damaging for the soul's growth/evolution". I picked lying because, moral or ethical considerations and 'white lies' aside (because that aspect is irrelevant), it is a continuous daily, nonstop chipping away of the integrity of the Consciousness on a Being level... and I would say that about 99% of humanity suffers varying degrees of this weakness, pretty much from cradle to grave. Here I am talking about the dark type of lies told to get money or exercise power over others and manipulate people (exceedingly common).

"Betrayal" is really bad, I agree, but most people only do this maybe once in their life maybe as a child or an adolescent and then they learn from their mistake and straighten up for the rest of their life. In this sense the mistake is actually constructive.

Murder is of course, really, really bad. Especially when the crime is a random act and the victim is a complete stranger. I read the teaching in one School how the Karmic implications of random murder are immeasurably huge while murder of a family member or close circle of friends is something that is worked out relatively more easily over the course of a few lifetimes (akin to what Lumaza was hinting at). But murder is such a rare occurrence and the circumstances between lives can complicate matters in this instance, so it is not so cut and dry. I have never killed anyone and no one I know has ever killed anyone (If my Dad and Uncles are not included for their service in the infantry in WWII -- I have mentioned that killing and murder need to be treated as separate things).

PlasmaAstralProjection

Now the even bigger question is who is the arbiter of these mess ups? Is it our higher self, enlightened masters, guides? Who decides what kind of life you live next according to your works?

RobertForsythe

Quote from: PlasmaAstralProjection on July 27, 2016, 22:45:45
Now the even bigger question is who is the arbiter of these mess ups? Is it our higher self, enlightened masters, guides? Who decides what kind of life you live next according to your works?

According to one respected author, (mostly consistent with many other Teachers)
Journey of Souls
Book by Michael Newton

Guidance is given by guides but the individual has the final word.

"Mess ups"? We were never promised a rose garden.

Xanth

Quote from: Lumaza on July 27, 2016, 18:40:56
I'm not sure I hold that particular belief regarding the choosing of our lives anymore.  :)

Could be though.  It could be.

Quote from: PlasmaAstralProjection on July 27, 2016, 22:45:45
The arbiter?  Well, you are.  Who else would you trust to judge yourself?  We are our own worst critics, after-all.  :)

Nameless

Quote from: PlasmaAstralProjection on July 26, 2016, 20:45:03

Deceptively so maybe.  :lol:
I would say anything that prevents that particular soul's progress.
Remember, You came here to this physical earth to experience it in its physical form. NPR will always be there.