Brain lobes and its relation to consiousness

Previous topic - Next topic

Fourthdimension

Hi when ever i project or fall into deep sleep or even take drugs that alter perception i usally get 2 places in my head that throb and pulse as well as intense ringing that is not titinus.

The first throbbing secotr i ll ask about is on  the right hand side of my head near the back but not at the back and almost located near the apex of the cranium so i done some googling and came up with this image http://www.shawnphelan.com/images/brain.gif

according to the image the place that throbs in my head is called the Parietal lobe

so i done some wikipedia search and came up with this....   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parietal_lobe
but since i am stupid could someone please explain to me what the hell wikipedia is talking about lol

What functions happen in this part of the brain and what is fit used for?
has it got any relation to perception and consiousness?

ok the other part which throbs is on the left hand side of the brain and its at the very back and i googled again to come up with this picture
http://www.undergrad.ahs.uwaterloo.ca/~rlozon/lobes-of-the-brain.jpg

according to this picture the part of the brain that throbs on the left hand side is called
the occipital lobe and wikipedia says this lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occipital_lobe

again could someone explain this to me please
also because both lobes are active at the same time does this make anything diffrent occur

thanks for your help
Click here
for the astral pulse chat and type in the channel #ubchat
alternatively go to http://webchat.freenode.net

Fourthdimension

Ok well my lack of medical terminology made it hard for me to read the two wiki articles above so i never really understood it but in one paragraph in one article i found that the lobe is meant to be asosiated with transendence and in the other article i read that any injury to the lobe can cause hullcinations.....
i belive that my projections are real but all this screeching and buzzing in my ear started when i first projected and acts weird when i project and the throbbing in my head first came when i projected.....

so what happens if i just had some sort of lesion to one of the lobes that in turn produced hullcinations in which i imposed my own belives that this hullcination is actually a projection am not saying thats right am just saying what if.......

it would be great if someone could explain those articles to me though
Click here

Xanth

Well, I believe that our physical brains provide a filter for this reality based upon what our senses provide it.
If a function or section of the brain is impaired for whatever reason that filter is going to be skewed and you're not going to "experience" this reality in the manner in which it was intended.

So then we have to ask where the source of these hallucinations are coming from rather than just accept that they're there and then deal with them accordingly.

But then you also have to ask, if the hallucinations are because of a damaged filter (brain) then what do you do about it?

~Ryan :)

personalreality

the parietal lobe processes information related to vision, but it is not where visual information goes from the eyes, that would be the occipital lobe.  (i know, strange right?  the info from the eyes goes to the farthest lobe from the eyes)

what the parietal does is process spatial information, like where your body is in relation to it's surroundings.  It also maps out actions that your body will take based on vision.  it is also associated with some auditory processing.

the occipital lobe is where visual information goes from the eyes for processing.

as for how these are related to consciousness, that is the million dollar question.

that's the f-ed up part of neurology, biology and psychology.  the official stance is that consciousness is a "side effect" of neural function.  Essentially, they see the physical body/brain as the original "cause" and consciousness as a coincidental "effect" of all the activity happening in the brain.  What that means to modern science is that there is no "non-physical", there is only the physical brain and the apparent "ghost in the machine" that we call conscious awareness.  But in all honesty, this explanation is the same as the modern astronomer/cosmologist explanation of the big bang.  Pretty much, we have no real idea so we're just gonna say everything wasn't here, then BANG! it was.  The same with consciousness, it wasn't there, then the brain started doing something different and BANG! it was there. 

So, we are the ones left with the task of discovering the true nature of consciousness (because I think us explorers of reality are the ones who see consciousness as a non-local phenomenon, ie, existing independently of the physical body).  It's up to you to figure out how consciousness connects to the brain.
be awesome.

Fourthdimension

but with the same question xanth.....in what manner was it intended? lol

Pr thanks for putting that in layman terms lol.....i find it weird that these feel like they have been pumped so much they throb aainst my head so bad once i projected and also i can tell when i am going to project because of the tension in those areas.
for example i said to my romanian friend a while ago i told her i would project tonight because i have so much tension in the areas i mentioned above. turns out i never projected then but had a very lucid dream

I mean i am not a meterialist like those f-ed up scientists but i m also not a religouse fanatic that belives blindly but for this moment lets just say scientists are right which i very much doubt.........

so the perietial processes info like where my body is according to my soroundings ect but when i am projecting am not in my body so mabye science got it wrong mabye it does process where my body is according to my sourondings but where my consiousness is according to my sorundings
and it has things to do with audio like you said so that might exlain why lots of us get the high pitched ringing

and as you said the other lobe has to do with processing visual info which means that mabye it not only processes peripheral vision but the kind that my consiousness might also relay back.

What do you think you think this gives it a good reason to throb and mabye some sort of connection with my wn aping

because as i said lots of times mmostly when i project it feels like theres a huge pop in my head and then am out

and your so right about science pr they say there diffrent from religon but both religon and science is both based on some kind of fundemental belive or theory

thanks for your help pr and xanth
Click here

personalreality

that's why i call science a religion.

but everyone always gets all up in my business about it
be awesome.

Fourthdimension

lmao...i agree its a religon but if it is then its a good one because its saved a hell of alot more people than god has
Click here

Xanth

We'll call it an alternative belief system. :)

~Ryan

CFTraveler

Maybe we should separate 'science' from 'scientism'.  Although they are both based on materialism, one is a practice and the other a belief system.

personalreality

i use that word all the time, kind of, i call it sciencism. 

i don't necessarily disagree, science is a practical application of observation.

but, even with the "scientific method" you're still considering certain things to be assumed.  first and foremost that your perception of reality is real.  people don't often go to that level of considering our fundamental beliefs, the ones that are so ingrained in our physical body's DNA that we don't even recognize them as beliefs most of the time.  like the solidity of the keyboard i'm typing on right now or that i need food to sustain my body.  these are often taken as fundamental facts about human experience, but in truth we don't really know do we?  nevertheless, i suppose you could call the way in which we would determine if these are truths or not scientific inquiry.  i prefer to think of it simply as existential exploration.  the big difference is that i feel that there is no objective point of comparison in this method as there often is in science.  i think this 'existential exploration' is much more guided by intuition than objective observation.  though it is scientism, as you call it, that denies my intuition as a valid tool of measurement.  i like to think that in the true essence of science, intuition is the most powerful tool at one's disposal.
be awesome.

Xanth

Quote from: personalreality on June 16, 2010, 20:04:16
first and foremost that your perception of reality is real
It's funny how most people wouldn't even give that a second thought.  :)

~Ryan

personalreality

that plagues me everyday.

i mean, if that is the case then what is the nature of my experience?

then again, why do i experience reality as being real if it's not?

beyond that, how am i supposed to reconcile all of the people and things i interact with daily if they aren't real?!

then i just have to say f it because i apparently have obligations that require me to believe in this reality.  but it pains me to do so.

i'm really surprised i haven't lost my mind yet.
be awesome.

mon9999

I FOUND A LINK ABOUT A GIRL WHOSE RIGHT BRAIN WAS REMOVED

mon9999

Xanth

*covers ears*
Your capslock is stuck... please don't shout at us.  :)

~Ryan

Fourthdimension

thanks for the link mon but i dont think it proves that counsiness doesnt lie on the brain to exsist after all she stiill has another half of her brain so mabye the counsiousness is only created in that half and thus still been able to be counsiousness. but you know those really dumb guys who have no brain just a peanut like kurtykurt haha there the ones that prove consiousness exsists without brain because some how there still functioning without one....crazy world lol
Click here

personalreality

hey now, kurt has a very good brain imo.

a very good consciousness interface indeed.
be awesome.

Stookie

Getting away from science and just going on my own thing, I've found that the further you remove yourself from physical reality (your physical brain as well), things get MUCH different, in perception, thinking, & comprehension. Not better or worse, but very different. I often feel like a different person/being in other states of awareness. The way I comprehend the experience after returning is sometimes hard to put into words or understand in the way I did when it was happening. Perhaps the brain is great for physical living, but gets in the way of non-physical perception.

If this is the case, maybe non-physical awareness attempts to imitate what the brain does in certain states of awareness as a way of coping, but eventually the imitation will stop after acclimating to the new environment.  :? :? :? I don't know...

mon9999

But, suppose to be the girl should have been paralyzed some parts of her body, but that was not the case, She was physically able and wish to become a ballerina someday, Isn't it somehow a proof?  :roll:

solarity

her brain rewired itself so that the part that wasn't missing would control the functions. I do not know why proof is needed for this. I was under the impression the vast majority here already believed the mind exists nonphysically as well and interfaces with the brain such that we may interact with the physical. This belief will lead to even more questions, but, they will be answered as time moves along in this universe.