Dealing with fear and some extra tips.

Previous topic - Next topic

Astralzombie

There has been a rise in the number of fear based questions lately so I wanted to take a little time to talk about it.

Fear is probably the number 1 reason that most people fail at astral projection. Evidence suggests that when people stop their attempts frequently due to fear, their brain is rewiring itself to invoke fear faster and faster each time the person quits. Each subsequent failed attempt serves to form new synaptic pathways which help your brain to work more efficiently when it is being confronted with something frequently. This ability of the brain was meant to be a positive thing but it can can work just as well with negative conditions.

This hasn't been proven to be the case for AP specifically but there is no doubt that the brain rewires itself after the repeated practice of musical instruments or learning how to type for instance. When the brain recognizes something that happens often, it likes to be a buddy and help you out by creating short cuts for something familiar. This is what allows great musicians to sing and play instruments simultaneously and seemingly with little effort.

This is why it is a good idea to work on some of your fears before you seriously start to attempt AP. You don't want to help fear out in anyway and constantly giving in to fear only serves to insure that it will arise faster. However, with determination and practice, you can still overcome it.

There are many different fears that cause people to give up too soon but the most common two are the fear of death and the fear of encountering demons and other nasty beings.

Death being a possibility or consequence of AP should be the furthest thing in your mind. If someone were to die while projecting, it would only be because it was their time to go. They could have been doing anything at that time and the results would have been the same. There is absolutely no causal effect.

Dealing with your fears of encountering demons and such is a little more complex. It can stem from a religious background or even from your personal interests. Some people have noticed a distinct correlation between their fear of demons and their preference of scary movies and such that deal with them as subject matter.

Everyone likes to get a little scared from watching a scary movie from time to time. The problem is that when you start to worry about demons, your brain will recall the images and emotions you felt when you were enjoying those scary movies. However, it only recalls the fear and not you enjoyment of watching the films. So you might want to consider watching less scary movies if you think this might be a contributing factor.

My personal belief in regards to demons is that they started out as a normal consciousness like you and I. The problem is that they have trapped themselves into constant state of jealousy over the living, self hatred, and hopelessness.

In other word, they have wasted most of their opportunities to evolve and are thus devolving into nothingness. Can you imagine how angry and bitter you would be if you wasted all this potential? If you do happen to encounter something that you perceive to be one, it is best that you just leave it be and go on your way.

However, if you think that you have it in you to confront one, pay close attention to their real energy and not the projection that they want you to see. They usually do not match. In one of my earlier experiences, I encountered one of these beings. When this being realized that I wasn't buying into it's act, it started to struggle with maintaining it's demonic image.

She was a teenage girl (probably a suicide IMO) and thought I was a demon coming to take her to hell. I was not aware of retrievals at that time so I did not pursue her to help. Besides, she was just too scared of me anyways.

When it comes to facing our fears, I believe that Robert Peterson said it best. He said that we need to figure out what the worst consequences are for what we want to do and decide if we can accept them. If so, you are ready to begin.

Many people don't like to take the time to meditate and if they don't, it's akin to jumping into the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim. Meditating allows you to experience different states of consciousness. I can't tell you how many hundreds of threads that exist in which the poster says that they are in SP but they still can't get "out".

Well, if you really are in SP, all you need to do is realize that you are already in the necessary state of consciousness needed to project. Meditating helps you to realize this.

Another proven success factor is to take a short (30 min- 1 hr) nap a few hours before you make an attempt to project. This works because you are already a little closer to that state that you need to be in due to the short nap. Do not attempt to project while taking this nap.

I can't stress enough how powerful affirmations are. Saying them puts your subconscious mind on notice that you fully intend to have a projection. They work great and fast. Say them to yourself several times a day and have real meaning in the words you choose.

You should also avoid all source of blue light for at least an hour before you make an attempt. Televisions, computer screens, I-pads, and even cell phones are all sources of blue light. Blue light screws up your internal sleep clock so the brain releases less melatonin that helps us relax and get some sleep.

My favorite thing to do during this hour is to read a good book. There's no better way to exercise our visualization skills. Reading also puts us in an altered state of consciousness.

This actually led to one of my best validations. I was half way through a book when I projected right into the story. I got to watch it play out as an observer watching a play. I learned later that almost everything I saw played out exactly like it did in the book. There was even a new character that had not been brought up in the book at the point that I had quit reading it. It was a jaw-dropping and blissful moment.

If you are just starting out and have had a few successes, you may not have even recognized them for what they were. Don't worry. It takes most people many experiences before they have the ONE.
That one experience that makes you want to tell everyone you know, how real AP is. It erases all doubt in your mind and motivates you to double your efforts.

Good luck to all of you.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain

funkyleggs

Thank you for making this post.
Just what i needed to put myself back on track.

And what your saying about the bookreading, i find it quite true. Every time i have a good read during the day or before sleep i tend to have great dreams for the least.
My first projection was the night following a good read from William Buhlman's book.

Concerning the intense visualization during the actual reading, what kind of altered state of consciousness do you think we're in when it happens?
Is it just pure imagery of the "words" or do you think you could achieve phasing on a regular basis ?

Lionheart

This is too important, not to "Sticky"!  :wink:

Astralzombie

Quote from: funkyleggs on September 01, 2013, 15:38:51
Concerning the intense visualization during the actual reading, what kind of altered state of consciousness do you think we're in when it happens?
Is it just pure imagery of the "words" or do you think you could achieve phasing on a regular basis ?

Anything that takes your attention away from your present physical environment alters your state of consciousness. I'm not suggesting that reading a book will make you a Zen master but it helps your visualization skills and that is key for most people. It also relaxes most people and puts them in a restful state.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain

Xanth

That's definitely going up on the website.  :)

Great article AZ!  :)

SACOLUCCI

I have a question about fear. When you are in an OBE do you experience fear as you would here in the physical reality with the physical sensation? Those fears you describe are exactly my fears. I have watched one too many horror movies and am petrified that I may manifest some of them in an OBE. What would the fear feel like and how do I overcome it?

Xanth

Quote from: SACOLUCCI on October 14, 2014, 01:22:52
I have a question about fear. When you are in an OBE do you experience fear as you would here in the physical reality with the physical sensation? Those fears you describe are exactly my fears. I have watched one too many horror movies and am petrified that I may manifest some of them in an OBE. What would the fear feel like and how do I overcome it?
Fear is fear... so yes.
The only difference is that while non-physical you'll begin to manifest what you fear... then it'll get worse and worse until you wake up.
Just remain emotionally ground and centered and you shouldn't have any issues.  :)

IsayWhaat

What happens if we fight low frequency beings? Can we fight them when we astral project? What are the consequences?

Xanth

Quote from: IsayWhaat on March 08, 2015, 11:25:29
What happens if we fight low frequency beings? Can we fight them when we astral project? What are the consequences?
"Fighting" is (almost always) a negative reaction to an experience.
Spiritually speaking, it's kind of like throwing gasoline on a fire.

Always try to ACT (not re-act) with Love-based responses.

IsayWhaat

Quote from: Xanth on March 08, 2015, 16:03:50
"Fighting" is (almost always) a negative reaction to an experience.
Spiritually speaking, it's kind of like throwing gasoline on a fire.

Always try to ACT (not re-act) with Love-based responses.

Yeah, I figured, but what happens when you do so? I'm not talking about feeling fear and then fighting to supress it. I mean provoking and fighting by swinging. Like, you said always try to embrace experiences with love. So what happens if we don't do so? What happens if we see a negative entity and we don't respond by showing love to it or whatever. What happens if we attack it? Create yourself huge badass sword and swing for it. Did anyone try it? Or does everyone really follow the book and goes with "spreading love" as their reaction when faced with them?

EDIT: (Got few more question in head :P) What are the consequences for reacting negative to an experience? Without both fear and love, leaving them aside, just picking fights for sake of testing yourself. You can't die, so, what is the worse that can happen? :)

Everywhere I went I read following thing: "Drop the fear and nothing can harm you." What I want to know is, if we drop fear, can we harm "them"?  

Xanth

You're consciousness... what you experience is all virtual.
What exactly do you think you're "hitting"?  You're doing nothing but hurting yourself.

IsayWhaat

Quote from: Xanth on March 08, 2015, 20:30:04
You're consciousness... what you experience is all virtual.
What exactly do you think you're "hitting"?  You're doing nothing but hurting yourself.

Why am I the one being hurt? I'm just curious :)

BranStark

Quote from: IsayWhaat on March 08, 2015, 18:32:31
YWhat happens if we attack it? Create yourself huge badass sword and swing for it. Did anyone try it?
What I want to know is, if we drop fear, can we harm "them"? 
People tried it. As far as I know, they were always succesful unless they ran into an entity they did bot create themselves. LOL. I definitely would not try to set up an experience involving a fight with an actual independent and malevolent entity. It is not worth the risk, assuming there are such out there.

Quote from: IsayWhaat on March 08, 2015, 20:38:47
Why am I the one being hurt? I'm just curious :)
Like creates likes. If you hurt others, you get hurt.
And because you are probably fighting just your own thoughtform (non-existing entity) you are not hurting anyone else just yourself. The form of being hurt in this case would "only" be a stagnation of self-development. Try to react with a different attitude than being aggresive (that is, the complete opposite), then apply it into your everyday life and see what happens. Enjoy. :-)

Xanth

Because in the end, you are everything and everything is you... so violently lashing out at something, is ultimately only lashing out against yourself.
You're here to learn to Love... not fight.

BranStark

Quote from: Xanth on March 08, 2015, 21:43:57
Because in the end, you are everything and everything is you... so violently lashing out at something, is ultimately only lashing out against yourself.
Just a thought: While both our answers seem to give a different perspective, aren't they telling the exact same thing? I think there is a strong link between these two statements.

IsayWhaat

Quote from: BranStark on March 08, 2015, 20:59:33
People tried it. As far as I know, they were always succesful unless they ran into an entity they did bot create themselves. LOL. I definitely would not try to set up an experience involving a fight with an actual independent and malevolent entity. It is not worth the risk, assuming there are such out there.
Like creates likes. If you hurt others, you get hurt.
And because you are probably fighting just your own thoughtform (non-existing entity) you are not hurting anyone else just yourself. The form of being hurt in this case would "only" be a stagnation of self-development. Try to react with a different attitude than being aggresive (that is, the complete opposite), then apply it into your everyday life and see what happens. Enjoy. :-)

Well, I was just curious what would happen if we are to fight :) Fight doesn't necessarily has to be a bad thing or stop your self-development. Just like everything, fight also has 2 sides; good and bad one. Unfortunately, people always connect fighting with bad things and harm. Fight can, rather than stopping, boost your growth, even if it brings you pain. Well, I don't plan on going rambo mode anywhere, don't get me wrong, just thinking and considering the opposite side of everything.

Quote from: Xanth on March 08, 2015, 21:43:57

I see your point.

BranStark

Quote from: IsayWhaat on March 08, 2015, 22:25:23
Well, I was just curious what would happen if we are to fight :) Fight doesn't necessarily has to be a bad thing or stop your self-development. Just like everything, fight also has 2 sides; good and bad one. Unfortunately, people always connect fighting with bad things and harm. Fight can, rather than stopping, boost your growth, even if it brings you pain. Well, I don't plan on going rambo mode anywhere, don't get me wrong, just thinking and considering the opposite side of everything.

In that case you can certainly do it. It might fun like a videogame but much more intense (don't do gaming myself so I don't really see a point in this but you might :-D). Or you can do it the eastern martial arts way. Developing your spirit through non-violent fighting (many people in western world do not understand karate, judo etc. are not only violence-free but also peaceful in their own unique way and lead to personal development; just for fun: judo translates into soft path :-)). I do judo myself so that would definitely be cool.  :-D

Anyway, there is no limit as far as I can tell.

IsayWhaat

Quote from: BranStark on March 08, 2015, 22:21:57
Just a thought: While both our answers seem to give a different perspective, aren't they telling the exact same thing? I think there is a strong link between these two statements.

I have hard time "loving" anything. And I'm not really swimming in it or being able to boost it easily either, so I can't really go around and give it like nothing. It might seem like I'm trying to make an alternative for it (and that that alternative is fight) but I'm not. I feel pretty safe just by conquering fear. I know I can be very peaceful and tolerant, open-minded and happy, almost every positive feeling, but love. I just can't go around loving and spreading love.

Quote from: BranStark on March 08, 2015, 22:32:43
In that case you can certainly do it. It might fun like a videogame but much more intense (don't do gaming myself so I don't really see a point in this but you might :-D). Or you can do it the eastern martial arts way. Developing your spirit through non-violent fighting (many people in western world do not understand karate, judo etc. are not only violence-free but also peaceful in their own unique way and lead to personal development; just for fun: judo translates into soft path :-)). I do judo myself so that would definitely be cool.  :-D

Anyway, there is no limit as far as I can tell.

I trained karate for 10 years before I had to give up because of health problems :) It is a self-defense focused martial art. You do not strike unless you're being attacked, but you understand. (I hope):P

swifta

To the OP

Awesome article, thanks for taking the time to write it.

I have some questions for you and appreciate in advance you answering any of them :)

1 - You mentioned something about the negatives knowing they blew their chance and are fading away into nothingness or when that teenager thinking you were a demon coming for her from hell, - is hell real?  is it possible for us to die?  - if we fail to realize out souls.... i was under the impression that we can't die but only slow our growth...

2 - My fear is not so much demons but snakes....  to bee 100% real i am terrified of any and all forms of snakes and the reason i've been holding back is because Im affraid the first thing i'll do is project a damn snake lol and then proceed to live out a nightmare....  now that it think of it i should just go in with that intention and deal with it once and for all huh.... anyways, did you have any fears going in at all?  what where you attacked by that stands out to you?   

I'm so darn curious and want to so bad to experience this but fear....argh damn u snakes!!!!  why did we create snakes?  lol