Has anyone gone in through the back door?

Previous topic - Next topic

Nagual

For me, the state seems to be different...  On one hand you have control.  On the other hand, you have not...

I think a closer one would be the whirling dervish guys...
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

m0d0

cainam_nazier

That was wrong Beavis....Funny as hell, but wrong.

The Bard

I wouldn't call it voodoo but I belly dance myself into a healing trance and yes I have been pulled out of my body during those trance dances. It has happened to me just dancing to a Reggae band.

Dance and singing and playing music enhances my trances. I often will play the most beautiful music on my celtic harp during some trances and then when I wake up from my trance I won't remember the notes so I can write them down. Often when this happens playing music or dancing my eyes are closed at the time.

Is this what you mean by a back door?

Person

Seems like any subtle change to our mind/brain will induce an OBE or similar state.
Trance, dance, meditation, drugs, trauma, and being near death.
Must be a delicate balance to keep us here.
-Person

spiral

I've been in a trance like state during a long session in a drumming circle and I have been in a meditative trance state.
I agree with Nagual, the difference seems to be control.
In a relaxed trance I achieve focus, clarity, stillness.
In a more frenzied trance my mind becomes more fluid and free, kinda like dreaming,
I imagine it is different for everyone.

spiral

The Bard

I guess in a way I have only used back doors to astral travel. I never read books about it and I don't have a desire to do it. I can't even drive cars because I jump out of my body so much.

Today while I was downloading e-books from this forum I astral projected and saw a girl waving at me and then returned to my body. I said to my husband, "I wonder why I astral project so easily and while others have trouble doing it. He said, "It's because you are always on the cusp of death."

m0d0

Hey all,

I was thinking today (A first for me) about deep mind states and meditation as a whole. It seems to be common practice on this site (and maybe in general) for everyone to get into relaxed positions and slip into meditation using various different calming techniques.

I was just wondering whether anybody on this site has tried to go into a trance the other way (The back door). i.e the way Voodoo priests (and others of the like) work themselves up into a frenzy by jumping and dancing etc.

Then it got me into thinking more (A definate first!) No matter what method you use to get into a trance (Whether it be relaxing, or dancing into a frenzy), do both methods lead to the same state of consciousness (Similiar Brain Frequencies)?

Or is it that working yourself into a frenzy (ala Voodoo) overloads your brain sending you into a different kind of Trance (The polar opposite to a relaxed trance).  

I don't know whether a lot of that made sense, but if it did any insight would be great.

Cheers

Mo!