Hearing Voices (not the hypnagogic kind)

Previous topic - Next topic

diana_epheseus

Hello all,

When I am in a meditative state I hear voices. These are not the usual loud voices described in this forum that one sometimes hears upon waking or going to sleep (the hypnagogic kind). My voices do not sound like they are coming from "outside" in the same way. Instead, there is a distinct feeling that they are from inside my head. They are often one or two people talking, often in foreign accents--sometimes in foreign languages, and it is more often than not difficult to follow the conversation. I can recognize snippets of words and phrases. Usually I ignore these conversations altogether but they seem to keep chattering away in the background. It is really hard for me to figure out whether these voices are from me or elsewhere, since often in meditation my sense of "me" changes radically. For example, in daytime I am a "normal" heterosexual woman, but in a meditative state I sometimes feel that my core identity (if one could even call it that!) is male.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Thank you for your input! :-)

Diana

diana_epheseus

I think I might have posted this to the wrong forum ... I've reposted it to Astral Society on the meditation thread.

Diana

cavernstoy

I once read that our etheric body is of opposite sex than our physical (I think on wikipedia).  I also hear voices that sound like they are coming from my mind, as if my mind is a huge auditorium.  The voices are not mine either, but they are never in a foreign language.  Mabey you have clairvoyance, the ability to hear peoples thoughts, alive, or "dead."  I'm not trying to freak you out or anything, but thats sounds like a possibility to me.

Cavernstoy
Confusion separates us...and division teaches us that unity is the only truth.

theotherside

Take Wikipedia's words with a grain of salt; it has a large amount of inaccurate information as the website is edited by thousands of users daily.  I think the voices could be a manifestation of your mind, although there is nothing wrong with hearing voices in your head (unless they tell you to do something bad lol).  Listen to the voices.  Are they conveying emotion though their tone of voices?  Can you hear if they're talking about something positive or negative?  The voices in your head can reflect how you feel at the time.
"The only thing that will redeem mankind is cooperation."
-Bertrand Russell.

Mez

clairaudience is the abiltity to hear voices. It is governed by the throat chakra.

Vvid1012

Hey Diana,

I have these voices all the time!  It's usually when im falling asleep or meditating--occuring 'inside' rather than out.  I first noticed this when I began to hear people arguing.  I didn't quite understand them but it was distinct voices and tones.  Sometimes it'll be someone talking to me casually and other times It'll be a bloody scream.  The funny/scary/freaky part about this is, the more you listen, the more you practice, the more you will understand what they say and differentiate certain words.  Sometimes what they say happens to be true.. other times not...it turns up to be a bit of a pain sometimes, and i don't encourage it really, but it is just so fascinating.  I wish i knew the cause of these voices.  Whether they are reminants of the past... echoeing in wave form and only audible at a certain level of mind.  Or if they are really spirits among us chattering away.  Or even our communication's center's way of interpretting the energy around us in an audible mental form.  Maybe its all 3! :)

I kinda sorta relate to what you are saying about the core identity, but not quite that experience.

thenoob

I have this exact same issue, although my voices are not foreign, they are definitely having a sort of conversation which -- since I'm drifting off into the dream world, are hard to latch onto. But what I can hear, it is more like 'why?' nothing of much significance, yet these aren't my thoughts, they're definitely coming from somewhere else in my head. I also have the exact same issue of my meditative self being a female, while my physical self is male. And on another note, my GF feels neutral neither male nor female in the meditative state. I wonder what this all means.

Quote from: diana_epheseus on May 30, 2007, 20:13:18
Hello all,

When I am in a meditative state I hear voices. These are not the usual loud voices described in this forum that one sometimes hears upon waking or going to sleep (the hypnagogic kind). My voices do not sound like they are coming from "outside" in the same way. Instead, there is a distinct feeling that they are from inside my head. They are often one or two people talking, often in foreign accents--sometimes in foreign languages, and it is more often than not difficult to follow the conversation. I can recognize snippets of words and phrases. Usually I ignore these conversations altogether but they seem to keep chattering away in the background. It is really hard for me to figure out whether these voices are from me or elsewhere, since often in meditation my sense of "me" changes radically. For example, in daytime I am a "normal" heterosexual woman, but in a meditative state I sometimes feel that my core identity (if one could even call it that!) is male.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Thank you for your input! :-)

Diana

Diabolus_Liberi

Quote from: cavernstoy on May 31, 2007, 01:56:26
I once read that our etheric body is of opposite sex than our physical (I think on wikipedia).  I also hear voices that sound like they are coming from my mind, as if my mind is a huge auditorium.  The voices are not mine either, but they are never in a foreign language.  Mabey you have clairvoyance, the ability to hear peoples thoughts, alive, or "dead."  I'm not trying to freak you out or anything, but thats sounds like a possibility to me.

Cavernstoy

Yes, I hear a woman's voice often, sometimes she starts to sing.

lifemagic

Yes, all the time when I'm fairly deep in trance. Often I either can't quite hear what's being said, ocasionally I get a very distinct phrase, usually nonsense. I'm almost certain it's from the unconscious. The last thing I heard was 'six six six' whispered by a menacing voice, which is rubbish as I'm not
Christian and don't believe in a devil and I had no trouble ignoring it.

Personally, I think they're good, for me at least, as I find them fairly easy to ignore, and it let's me know I'm in a good level of trance.

Once I was on an airplane sitting by the engine with constant vibration and very relaxed, and non-distinct voices started for about half an hour, and turned into trumpet music.

Nothing to worry about.

wooby

Hi, new here...

I've experienced the same thing usually when I'm going to bed and all is quite. It's almost as if your tuning into a radio station or tv...you pick out random phrases or answers...nothing seems directed towards me just like overhearing some random chat, or parts of it. I was always concerned if I focused in on it I'd hear them all the time and ....uh really not interested so i usually listen to music while i go to sleep.

As for real voices directed towards me i've heard one once in meditation. It was early in my teens shortly after i started getting into deeper trances in meditation. Out of nowhere this loud, but very soft and soothing female voice, called me by name and said "this is where the love is". I don't recognize the voice but it was comforting like a mother.

jason

I get these ALL THE TIME! On the edge of sleep I start having conversations using some other type of thought process or language.Then when I wake completely, I can't remember or understand what was said or who I was talking with, yet in the borderline state, it all makes perfect sense.It's not just mumbo jumbo.Sometimes I can "capture" it when I wake up, & it's like it's a language of symbols somehow.

Sometimes I hear them when I'm awake, but not as clearly.Same symbolic type of language though.

I'm not sure I understand what's going on here. :?
The musical conciousness is mind beneath the sun.

SnakeDoctor

i didn't read all of them, so forgive me if its been said....

but when i first started meditating, i would be asleep, then i would hear some one in the real world...or so it seems. say something like HEY! and wake me up. except, no ones in the room. and it was always a mans voice, also, since i've stopped meditating regularly i haven't been hearing him.