How Our Perception Filters Our Experiences - Expanded Version

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanth

I made a response the other day to someone regarding now I feel our Perception filters our Non-physical experiences and that filter is also the same one that applies to our Physical experience and how it relates to the nature of the reality that's being experienced:

QuoteI'm going to explain how I think our perception (what you experience) works in the non-physical. Your non-physical perception actually works in *EXACTLY* the same manner as your perception in this physical reality works, but because of how the non-physical is malleable to your thoughts/expectations/beliefs/snap judgments/etc it can play havoc on the true nature of the things we "see".

First, an anecdote that shows how my perception fooled me while physical:
I was biking home the other day, and off in the distance I saw a dead squirrel lying on it's back and it's legs sticking up in the air. Now, at the time I was absolutely positive that's what it was... I was about 50 feet from it. As I biked closer and closer to the "dead squirrel", I saw it for what it really was: a folded up piece of fabric, however up until that point, it WAS a dead squirrel, literally and figuratively. I fully perceived it as such. The object's true nature came through because that's how our physical reality works, I was able to distinctly identify the truth because in our reality an apple is an apple.

Now, let's investigate how this same scenario would end up when played out in the non-physical. All the same stuff would apply, I'd be biking home and in the distance I'd see something. My initial impression was that it was a "dead squirrel". This initial impression would then become reality. Because of the malleable nature of the non-physical and how our assumption/expectations/beliefs react with the reality we find ourselves in, even if I got closer to that "folded up piece of fabric" it would have retained that "dead squirrel" perception because I had formed the belief and expectation that that was what it was. In the physical this isn't a problem because our perception, as such, doesn't directly effect/change that which we see, but in the non-physical it's a huge issue because our perception DOES change what we perceive.

Now, how do you stop this kind of perceptual filter from being applied? How do we see the TRUTH behind what we see and not allow our perception to colour/filter our experiences? Well, it's VERY hard... and in some cases you just might not be able to see the Truth behind what you're seeing due to the very nature of what you're experiencing. However, the major thing you need to learn is to not make snap judgments upon what you experience. This is usually the first thing people do when they see something. As you can see it's the first thing I did in relation to the above story... I made an immediate snap judgment of the "folded cloth" and assumed it was a "dead squirrel".

This is something you can practice even in your physical life. Try to catch yourself making these snap judgment calls, then work on slowly stopping yourself from doing it until you're in a state of passively observing. A by-product of teaching yourself this, is that it will also help you to control your emotions and thoughts. That's the next thing you need to learn to control. Learning to control your emotions and thoughts will keep that bit of fuel from influencing your environment and in turn, will keep the experience as pure/true as possible.

Let's look at the perils of what would have happened. Seeing the dead squirrel up close might have brought forth some sad emotions of me feeling sorry for the poor creature. This would have added fuel to what I was experiencing whereby something "sad" would have occurred... then that scene might have further fueled more emotional sadness which would have added more fuel to it. In the end, if I didn't nip the original emotional outburst in the butt, I would have been caught in a never ending emotional filled loop. The only way out of it would have been to wake up and start over. This one snap judgment might have been the end of a fine non-physical experience.

The more you keep these three things (snap judgments, thoughts and emotions) under control, the easier time you'll have directing your experience and making the most out of it. :)
http://unlimitedboundaries.ca/2011/07/13/how-your-non-physical-perception-works/

interception

... pure unfiltered reality can be so boring and cold and brutal. Some of us need those filters Xanth, or we might just go insane.  :-P

*Goes back to his comfortable little fantasy world, glancing at the tiny blue elephants with party hats standing in the corner*

Summerlander

Spot on, Ryan_!  That was a great reply!  And you are absolutely right in that it is very hard not to focus on our expectations and beliefs.  We have a tendency to pay more attention to what goes on subjectively especially when we are lucid in the non-physical environments.  The reason for this could be due to the possibility that, because during lucidity certain cerebral mechanisms usually active in the waking state are operational, one cannot help but try to measure/fathom the unfathomable from a remembered waking perspective (waking life logic).  We consciously do a lot of guessing and are more inquisitorial about that which is more entropic and "quantum-logically" driven in nature than that which we call "common".  And then...sometimes...we may expect something to be commonly exciting or we may wish for things to be in a certain way while overlooking what might or could have been. 

Contenteo

Phenomenal post as always Ryan_(Xanth)?

What a great short read Props for you eloquence.

TravelingBull

OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great stuff RYAN!

Here is my dilemma... if you will...

I have trained for years to listen inward, my first phase was all ... logic if you will... like odd for me! it was all thought reaction! No heart felt decisions. Just Will... THought... = reality.

My question is can you use your heart to perceive in a phase? Intuition? Hmmm... that gut feeling that says get away! Now mind you... there is no fear here. Its more of a discernment!

this was my goal on next Phase...

Tried last night to phase... set my body in the position to do so... OVER slept... woke up in 4 hrs... walked around did normal chores until I KNEW IT WAS TIME! got excited to do it... and knew i would easily. BEHOLD A 5yr old cant sleep! stuck now with her AHHHHHGGGGGGGG!!!!!!
experiment dead till next time.  Ryan or Summ... ever tried this before? maybe you can save me time? No... you won't... I still will do this for a test... but maybe insight would be nice. Its funny because everyone states i THINK BACKWARDS! I go inward first... if nothing... go logic. I do believe you need a strong awareness of the inward (heart felt) voice to pull this off.

I modified for deeper explaining... I was driving with a friend about 2 months ago.... it was 4 am and very dark! 2 lane road... we were making small talk traveling to do business... then a inward voice screamed inside of me STOP NOW! I STOPPED! friend asked... what the F**K are you doing! soon as the car stopped. In the headlights was 8 or so deer crossing the road. I said look! He was amazed... it would have possibly killed us at 55 mph that we were traveling if we would have struck one of these animals. He simply asked how did you know? IT WAS TO DARK TO SEE! I said blind luck! ;) This is the voice i am referring too.
Sing like its your last song
Dance like its your last dance
and LIVE like its your last day!

TravelingBull

Another test i want to do... but that inner voice is stopping me... I want to phase on a good alcohol Buzz... not to be rude... just to test. that's what I do. But this voice inside is refusing to take part before i try. I KNOW BOARD... I'm a possessed, voice hearing freak! hahahah Just another test i long to do to verify perception. Thanx Ryan for ur INPUT! keep it up!

ok... why? i want to see if the natural effects the hmmm super natural or .. not! TAKES BALLS! but need to know for me! look physical state is important! wanna prove it soon!
Sing like its your last song
Dance like its your last dance
and LIVE like its your last day!