Question About Visualization

Previous topic - Next topic

-JD-

I've been reading Robert Peterson's Out Of Body Experiences, and I'm currently Chapter 24: How To Have an Out-Of-Body Experience, but I have a question.

I'm reading step 4, which is "Visualize the object." In previous steps, they have you relax, clear your mind and then "visualize a small object, such as a small cube, about six feet directly in front of your face. Visualize this as clearly as you can. Don't continue until you can see this object clearly in your mind's eye."

My question is, are you supposed to visualize the object as you would see it if you had your eyes opened from your point of view,

or

are you supposed to visual it from a 3rd person point of view, and your looking at yourself from another point in the room with the object above your head?

(This is a picture from the book, which is a good example of the 3rd person point of visualization I'm talking about. )

personalreality

Visualize it from a first person point of view.  All of these methods that have you visualize something beyond your body that you are supposed to focus on and ultimately try to move your attention to are variations of what is called the point-shift method.  The point-shift used to be "the method", it was the one everyone learned years ago.  The basic premise is to shift your attention outside of your body and hold it there until you project.  These visualizations are designed to give you a way to achieve that effect without doing it "the old fashioned way" because honestly, it's hard that way.
be awesome.

Xanth

Quote from: -JD- on March 12, 2010, 16:59:23
I've been reading Robert Peterson's Out Of Body Experiences, and I'm currently Chapter 24: How To Have an Out-Of-Body Experience, but I have a question.

I'm reading step 4, which is "Visualize the object." In previous steps, they have you relax, clear your mind and then "visualize a small object, such as a small cube, about six feet directly in front of your face. Visualize this as clearly as you can. Don't continue until you can see this object clearly in your mind's eye."

My question is, are you supposed to visualize the object as you would see it if you had your eyes opened from your point of view,

or

are you supposed to visual it from a 3rd person point of view, and your looking at yourself from another point in the room with the object above your head?

(This is a picture from the book, which is a good example of the 3rd person point of visualization I'm talking about. )

When he says "visualize it in your mind's eye"... I go back and refer to what Robert Bruce says about "visualizing" in his NEW section , in that it's not a "visual" process at all.