News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Fear of OBEs

Previous topic - Next topic

G3MM4

I know there was a topic on this ages ago but I can't seem to find it. So I'm starting another one about my fear of OBEs. I keep telling myself that nothing can hurt me, and there really isn't anything to be afraid of whilst OOB, but when it actually happens, I fight the whole thing because the fear just takes over. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the fear?
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience. - Dr. Wayne  W. Dyer

Please visit Astral Planet.

Asif

I know this is a cliche, but fear of the unknown is natural.  Some things you can try is try to project during the day, project while there are other people present in your place of residence, play gentle background music as long as it doesn't distract you from the process, or perform some rituals that you can identify with.  Also remember that you are not technically leaving your body, you are just being aware of your astral/real-time body and that you can revert awareness to your physical body instantly.  I generally feel a bit fearful when I'm in a trance state ready to project, but once I'm "out", I feel too excited to be scared.  So think of how great it would be to explore the astral!  I hope that helps!

CaCoDeMoN

I've also had great problems with overcoming fear of OOBE/dreams, and even fear of darkness. The best thing that I've did is shielding the room(I've designed a good shielding method), that stopped the nightmares and entities scaring me when I have sleep paralysis/oobe. After a year of very intensive energy work some energy blockage was broken, and now the fear is nearly completely gone, and OOBE is much easier to achieve, and much more fun. The only thing that scares me during an OOBE is when chinchilla(a squirrel-like rodent) tries to bite-off my nose :)
MEAT=MURDER.

kmD

day time projections for novice projectors. get safe in the light, and you feel better about nighttime projections.
im repeating myself from another thread, but it works!

G3MM4

QuoteAlso remember that you are not technically leaving your body, you are just being aware of your astral/real-time body and that you can revert awareness to your physical body instantly.

I know but then you're also aware of other things in the astral, that's part of my fear. I know thoughts equals action in the astral, and I'm afraid of facing my own fears if you get what I mean. I'll try your suggestions.

QuoteI've also had great problems with overcoming fear of OOBE/dreams, and even fear of darkness. The best thing that I've did is shielding the room(I've designed a good shielding method), that stopped the nightmares and entities scaring me when I have sleep paralysis/oobe.

I have a fear of the darkness too. I always have the light on at night, when I go to sleep, and I have the TV on as well. It's the only way I can sleep. What's your shielding method? I hope it's not too complicated. LOL. Another thing that scares me is the thought of seeing entities etc while I'm OOB, especially since I'm very sensitive to that sort of thing.

The other thing that scares me as well is the fact that I have no real control while attempting to go OOB, the paralyzation is the worse thing. That's when I really start to panic because by nature I'm a control freak, I have to have some form of control in any situation that I find myself in.
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience. - Dr. Wayne  W. Dyer

Adun

G3MM4, my situation is EXATLY like yours!! every detail, just the same!
during the day i always think with conviction, today is the day, i will project, but when the time comes "err... not today... (insert stupid excuse here)..."

i am starting to think the only solution is face the fear, if that's true, i'm in some big troubles :?

CaCoDeMoN

About the shielding method:
Enter into trance as deep as you can. Then imagine that your room is covered with 1cm steel plates. Even the doors and windows are covered, so is ceiling and floor. The plates are about 1m x 1m and are not welded, but connected with rivets (i hope it's the right word in English for this type of connection). Then imagine this for 5 minutes, thinking "It's my room and nobody else can enter it, even when I let him". I've didn't do double blind tests for it, but for me it stopped the nightmares, and the same was for my father, and he didn't know about this whole shielding thing(of course when I stopped shielding his room, the nightmares came back to torment him :) ).
I have a fear of the darkness too. I always have the light on at night, when I go to sleep,
4 months ago I've had the same problem, I've even bought a night lamp  :D
Now from time to time I take off the shield from my room and pray to have OOBE/sleep paralysis as scary as I can endure. And sometimes It's really hard...
MEAT=MURDER.

G3MM4

Well I think somehow I have to get through this.

As for going into trance, I never try to project deliberately, it's alwys spontaneous. And I don't suffer with nightmares often unless I'm under stress.

astralspinner

QuoteI keep telling myself that nothing can hurt me, and there really isn't anything to be afraid of whilst OOB, but when it actually happens, I fight the whole thing because the fear just takes over. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the fear?

Ever tried telling a child "There are no monsters hiding in your closet"?

Doesn't work, does it? No matter how often you TELL them, only opening it, having a look, and showing the monster-free inside to the kid works.

Same principle applies. Telling yourself there's nothing to fear won't do anything. Work out what it is you're afraid of, and find ways to stop it scaring you.

fost500

Good one spinner. Youve spun that right on the head :)
Death is only tragic for those who get left behind

G3MM4

I guess so, but then again, the child that is being shown the monster-free cupboard isn't on their own. It's usually a parent (or someone similarly close to the child) that shows the child. It's the same principle. I wish I could do it with someone there. I am sure that if someone was there with me, I wouldn't feel so afraid. As for working out what I'm afraid of, I've already pointed out what I'm afraid of.

astralspinner

Have you considered a guided meditation class? That would put you in a state you can project from, when surrounded by other people..

LittlePenguin

I just felt I had to add a few observations here. What you describe has been my problem for several years. I have therefore consistently been going for daylight projections. After maybe 200 I have now lost this fear and are projecting at night. It seems that certain things cannot be hurried along, and sometimes we just have to take the time it takes to overcome certain resistances along the way.

G3MM4

The problem with going to a class is that I'm deaf so it would be difficult for me to do something like that.

I can remember spontaneously starting to project in daylight once before, and I still had the fear but I think that had something to do with the fact that it was the first time it happened to me. Maybe if it happens again in daylight I'll try and stop the fear from taking over.

BOATS

I have projected fifteen good times.  The RTZ projections do not scare me that much because its a famaliar envoronment.  Its the Astral Projections because most times they start outside my house from the RTZ.  I get caught in a type Astral Wind and get pulled into the sky backwards watching my house until I am about 500 feet in the air.  The fear is that I have died and need to find out right away.  There is also fear that I will get stuck there in the Astral.  I am loosing fear just due to experience.  I have discovered that simply by telling myself to awaken the AP ends.  This is also the case with Sleep Paralysis.  All I do is closee my Astral eyes and awaken.  I sometimes wonder if people in comas are stuck in the Astral.  I do have a fear of death and know that as I get older and loved ones that are close to me die I will not cling to the physical as much.
So I would have to say experience and keeping a cool head will progressively make the fear cease.

Astral-Jas

To get over the fear of darkness( which is what I am afraid of too) just slowly darken the room each night. I started by leaving a light on near my room in the hallway to a dimmer bathroom light on. Now I close the bathroom door a little. It can be a little uncomfortable but we need to face our fears.

Projecting in the light would help, and I have some fear when I got out of body, but ofcoarse I should have some. I have projected one time almost 2. It is a new world but after the first one you should not have anything to worry about. For example I remember being scared, but I look back and say "Wow that wasn't so bad, next time im not going to be afraid because I can stay out longer."
Goodluck!