Some Progress Made... Next Step?

Previous topic - Next topic

outtolunch

I've been trying to AP on and off for a few months now, I have been meditating for about half a year in addition.  I reached what I think was Focus 10 about a month ago, when I felt a strange shift in consciousness, along with an intensity of awareness.  I felt like my body was completely relaxed and almost if not completely asleep.  The first few times I was really scared when this happened and I usually cut off the experience as soon as it started.

Recently, I have gotten more at ease with the state.  The last few times I reached it I felt as if the whole inside of my body was very hot, as if I was being cooked from the inside.  I felt strong vibrations everywhere, and the sound in my 'inner ear' became quite loud.  What usually happens is I get slightly paranoid and become too focused on my breathing, wondering if I am breathing 'correctly'.  Often times I attempt to consciously control my breathing, which ruins the state pretty quickly.  Another barrier for me is that my lower back tenses up with either fear or apprehension which leads to irregular breathing which leads to coming back to a regular state of mind.

On a few occasions I've been relaxed enough to 'let go' and fall deeper into the state.  When this happened I felt as if I was far away from my bodies sensations.  I could hear the noises of my family members moving around the house and talking, but they seemed to be quite 'below' me, as if I were on top of my roof, or higher.  Other times I feel as if I'm sinking underneath my body.  It's a very strange feeling.  I notice that parts of my body twitch unconsciously.

Last night I tried again and I reached a deep relaxed version of the state.  I didn't feel disconnected from my body, but I felt as if my body was completely asleep, and it felt very heavy.  My breathing became regulated without my attention, I was breathing very slowly.  The sound in my 'inner ear' became very loud, and I started to hear animal noises of some sort.  They seemed to be coming from outside my window but they were too loud for it to be real, it was late at night.  Then I realized the noises were coming from the sound of my inner ear, which was expanding into different frequencies/ranges.  These noises freaked me out and I came out of the state.

It's been like this for the last few weeks, I am wondering what is the next step to Astral Projection?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I've noticed that a side effect to my attempting astral projection is that the day after I feel really spacey and not focused.  Anyone feel that before?

MinstruelZ

I don't know about your last question. I've never felt spacey as a result of trying to AP, but maybe your mind keeps drifting back to the experience.

It sounds like you are getting very close to projecting. Try going more "into" these feelings that you are getting without having any expectations. When you are getting loud noises in your ear, let them intensify. It's difficult to explain, but just go deeper into those feelings and you may just find yourself projecting naturally. Or you could begin experimenting with different techniques (like the rope or ladder technique). It sounds like what you are doing is working though, so I would continue with what works.

Stookie

outtolunch - it might be that you're not deep enough. It sounds like you're beginning to recognize what trance feels like, so next time let it go even deeper. The more you experience trance and get used to what it should feel like, the more you'll be able to repeat it and go a little deeper each time. I think you'll know when you're deep enough for a projection technique.

VagusEques

My guess is your spacey feeling is the excitement after getting so far. I know the first (and only) time I hit that stage, I couldn't think of anything else the entire next day.

Novice

I'd have to ditto what Stookie said. All of what you are describing thus far occur at the beginning of deep relaxation/trance. You mention several times fear/apprehension holding you back. You are quite correct. Until you fully relax and let go, you'll struggle to get past this point.

You also mention a lot of audio, what about visual? Do you see or sense anything?

Keep going with what you are doing and continue to try and relax. It's amazing, but very few people are able to fully relax except while completely asleep. And far fewer can do it on demand (when they want to). It's all about practice.

One thing to keep in mind is that nothing you are doing is dangerous, so there's no reason to fear. Instead attempt to adopt a mild sense of curiousity. Don't focus on any one thing, rather be aware of them as if saying "hmm...that's interesting." Keep a sense of mild detachment and watch what occurs. There's a great post by Frank on this and he called in noticing. I was doing this before coming here and find that what he describes is almost dead on with my own experiences. It's also helpful to practice this during the day -- similar to mindfulness. With practice, this little thing called noticing not only enhances the quality and quantity of lucid dreams, but also allows one to phase, fully aware, from within a dream.

Good luck.
Reality is what you perceive it to be.

NightLight

I agree with Stookie and Novice. What you are experiencing is the early to mid stages of AP. I don't know about other people, but my breathing does not normally concern me when I AP. Different methods work for different people. If you think too much about your physical body though it may hold you back. When you are in your astral body, the second you start think about you physical body you will snap back into it. Sometimes in the early to mid stages of projecting my senses become hightened like you are explaining, so i think your definately on the right track. Something that also happens to me when i'm am in this state is that i can feel things around me as well as hear them e.g. if someone slams a door it sets off like a shockwave that passes through my body. Ithink your well on your way though.

oneironaught

i can relate to all of those experiences, id say im on the same page. sometimes ill get up from a meditation and decided to read, ill read a whole paragraph before i even realize that i didnt even comprehend any of it, its like i wasnt even paying attention the whole time. its liek you get so used to not thinking in meditation that you forget how to function