News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

The "falling sensation"

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdeadevil

Can someone describe in their own words what this feels like to them? I just want to clarify, is it possible to get this feeling without any visualization; just relaxing? Because I get this feeling at-least once most nights, but it goes again. Is this an astral projection thing? Sometimes I get it when I'm doing breathing exercises, but again, it goes again. Any advice?

raditus

One time I "Fell" so hard, I felt my body actually plummeting. My body then actually bounced a bit too when I "fell" to my bed. I heard my mattress make a sound. I sleep on one of those old thin hospital mattresses, the "plastic" surfaced ones. So I heard the plastic 'puff'

I don't know about relaxation causing it to happen, though. At the time, I was using an Amulet that someone had said made people project back then, without the usual "projecting" So it could have been a harder travel than someone who 'preps'

Jdeadevil

I see. I don't get it strong, it's just a passive thing that comes and goes.

raditus

That's the only time I felt it that way before. And to tell the truth, I don't want it that strong ever again. It nearly gave me a Heart attack. Usually it's just a plummeting sensation like an elevator going down real quick. Then one of my arms jerks or something and I snap my eyes open.

Jdeadevil

Nice to know eyes opening is a common experience, and jerking arms. Think I'm going to take this as evidence that I'm getting somewhere.  :-)

Jdeadevil

I'm sick of reading vague astral projection tutorials that basically assume you go straight to levitating from being relaxed. It's making me feel like I have some kind of irritable disease, because that doesn't happen with me, I slowly start to feel slightly numb (usually turns out to be pins and needles), my throat goes dry, I twitch and open my eyes.. I wish I could just affirm the magic word and float away like a fairy like most articles assume you can.

soarin12

what time of day or night are you trying?  Timing is very important.  Try WBTB.  For me that's almost instant deep trance leading to projection.  Have an empty stomach or near empty stomach.

raditus

Also, laying off anything sugary or Caffeine before trying to project. And yes, I am for the empty stomach thing as well; My methods I use to project get sloppy and feel sluggish if I have anything in my stomach actively digesting at that moment.   

Jdeadevil

I would but I have an awful sleeping pattern which is usually more in control of my sleep than I am, if I went to bed at 12 (having been awake for 12+ hours) intending to wake up at 4, I wouldn't go to sleep because my body won't let me, plus if I go to sleep later when my body actually wants to, my neighbours kids will come out screaming extremely early in the morning :/

CFTraveler

I feel I need to clarify something that appears to be a confusion of interpretation.

The falling sensation often felt when one is going to sleep (or abruptly waking up from a clickout) is a 'hypnic jerk' and not a visualization.  It's a biological mechanism (according to science) that is inbuilt in newborns and goes on throughout life.

The falling visualizations given in training manuals are for obtaining trance, and it is not assumed one will suddenly project from doing one of those, although sometimes it happens.
Usually trance induction (using 'falling' visualizations) follows physical relaxation exercises, that is, trance visualizations don't make you physically relaxed- they help you mentally relax to enter a trance state.  If they're done correctly and you are in a trance, you must deepen the trance and then do an exit technique.
Many exit techniques use a 'falling up' visualization, an 'externalization' exercise, or combination thereof.
That's when you're supposed to project.
I see every day people giving trance visualizations or relaxation techniques as 'projection training'.  This is only one part of the process.

Ok now I'm done.
---
Why?

Jdeadevil

Now see I think that's why it's almost completely impossible to do it at daytime, because the trance just doesn't happen no matter how much you relax. But I thought a hypnic jerk was when you suddenly made an involuntary movement when you were extremely drowsy, is that not right?

By the way if it adds to discussion, when I say it's almost impossible, it's almost impossible for me. I don't ever remember being able to enter trance from the waking state, and on most days I wake up too fast due to external situations.

EscapeVelocity

Re Falling Sensation-

I get the scientific explanation, the hypnic jerk. But I also get the impression that it is an energy body/exit sensation: the energy body shifting/drifting slightly out of phase and the mind snapping it back; or the mind recognizing the instant of re-integration upon a return. JMO

Jdeadevil-

I suffered from the same issues you describe; I think most of us do. In that case, I think soarin12 is exactly right: you have to modify your strategy. And timing is probably the most important thing to change first. Try WakeBackToBed, or a nap in the afternoon on your day off, or a nap several hours before you go to bed, or get a normal night's sleep but set your alarm for 2-3 hours before normal wake-up.

Also, try another strategy altogether: Moving from Awake to Trance to Conscious Exit is the most difficult thing to do, especially in the early stages, unless you're just plain gifted. I've had a fair number of obes and I've never managed to do it that directly, 'though I've spent a hundred hours trying. I had to come at it through DILDs, WILDs, WBTB attempts, and most often simply through waking partly in the middle of the night, recognizing my opportunity and feeling around for vibrations or energy sensations. Sometimes I'm successful and sometimes not.

There's nothing wrong with simply using an affirmation that says- "I will become aware during my dreams tonight and recognize that I am OOB." Program yourself this way for a few nights and simply roll over and get some sleep. Let go. Affirmations are surprisingly powerful this way. It probably won't happen just like you expect it to, so be ready to go with whatever appears.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
                                                          -O. Wilde

Jdeadevil

I tried counting down from 100 to 0 repeatidly earlier and it made me a little drowsy, made me actually WANT to lie down instead of getting bored, worked a little better than rhythmic breathing, I'll try a WBTB again and if the neighbours are up and screaming I'll just use the opportunity to fix my sleeping pattern. But I can't help but think I can somehow use a "Phase 2" after the counting for when I am a little drowsy.. Do people do that? Move onto a "deeper" technique after becoming a little drowsy? You know, where you get a dry throat and you feel a little sleepy.

Szaxx

J,
You could used in ear headphones playing some pink noise to mask outside noises.
Check the seals on your window too. If these are defunct, noise and wind will get through. Those sticky foam strips make a BIG difference to reduce outside noise levels.
I use headphones almost every night, noise from inside the house...
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

Jdeadevil

I'm not really sure how to look out for gaps in windows haha

raditus

I do both fall and rising in one session. When I am relaxed, I will think about the feeling of going down in an elevator. I recreate the falling experience. After awhile, I will reverse it and then go falling up. I repeat between the two. If I am relaxed enough, one the last Falling up, I go completely projecting.

It's actually more I go through than that. Like pre falling, I do this thing where I close my eyes. As I do, I 'open' my third eye, imagining it opening like my real eyelids. As long as my eyes are shut, this is open and I 'look' through it. When my eyes are open, 3rd eye is shut. I do this while relaxing. Then comes the down and up stuff.

I listen to music and sounds when i sleep. I need to stop doing this because I found out it messes projecting up even if it is a to a small degree. I find I have better results with no headphones. Some nights I can't project at all, as my family has shouting matches with each other even late at night. :( And when I say shouting, I mean thunderous 'bringing down the house' types.

proyect_outzone

The falling sensation is an experience, which occurs mostly during or after falling asleep. But it can also be caused by out of body experience methods. It belongs to the same group of experiences like the thing, which the people in this forum define as "strobe". Thats the reason, why (most kinfs of) it causes also twitching and shows the same aftereffects.

The most interesting fact is, that the falling sensation prefers to occur during (lets better say after!) a state, which allows to exit the body immediately (exit phase) or during (after!) astral dreams!

Scince has no real explanation for this phenomenon. They are still guessing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

They mention some triggers, but the same triggers are triggers for out of body experiences. Same is for the so called cycle in the wikipedia article. Strong anxiety or worry about out of body experiences during falling asleep  increases the number of them.

CFTraveler

Quote from: EVI get the scientific explanation, the hypnic jerk. But I also get the impression that it is an energy body/exit sensation: the energy body shifting/drifting slightly out of phase and the mind snapping it back; or the mind recognizing the instant of re-integration upon a return. JMO
I agree with you, which is why I quoted it as 'the scientific explanation'.  I just wanted to separate the idea of the hypnic jerk (aka myoclonic jerk) from the falling techniques given as training techniques.
I have no problems reaching trance during the daytime, but I do most of my meditation in the daytime when no one's home. 
Why?

soarin12

Quote from: CFTraveler on October 06, 2013, 14:28:35

I have no problems reaching trance during the daytime, but I do most of my meditation in the daytime when no one's home. 

Can you reach AP from your daytime trance?  If so, Is it natural to you or did you have to work long and hard? Any tips you can give? I can only AP anywhere from before bed to about the next 7 or 8 hrs.  I'd love to be able to do it in the afternoon cuz I have time then, but nope, have never gotten it yet.

Gaia

Here's a little tip, soarin'. I can feel the 'falling sensation' very easily, simply by meditating, and I use that as a link from my trance to astrally projecting. As I fall I let my mind wander, and in my mind's eye as I fall I can feel myself dropping out of reality altogether. Once you achieve such a deep state, it's very easy to let you spiritual subconcious reveal other worlds to you.

The trick now is just to practise - It has taken me years of lucid dreaming and astral projection to master it. Especially at first, falling can feel very sudden and scary, and indeed your ingrained mental subconscious (which controls dreams) will react negatively and will try to scare you (when I started APing at will, I had extremely realistic, semi-lucid, terrifying dreams where I would fall, fly, run at hundreds of miles an hour). If you learn to love that feeling, you can, in a deep meditative dtate, create a feeling of falling, flying, whatever feels best for you, and use that to AP.

soarin12

Quote from: Gaia on October 06, 2013, 18:20:48
Here's a little tip, soarin'. I can feel the 'falling sensation' very easily, simply by meditating, and I use that as a link from my trance to astrally projecting. As I fall I let my mind wander, and in my mind's eye as I fall I can feel myself dropping out of reality altogether. Once you achieve such a deep state, it's very easy to let you spiritual subconcious reveal other worlds to you.

The trick now is just to practise - It has taken me years of lucid dreaming and astral projection to master it. Especially at first, falling can feel very sudden and scary, and indeed your ingrained mental subconscious (which controls dreams) will react negatively and will try to scare you (when I started APing at will, I had extremely realistic, semi-lucid, terrifying dreams where I would fall, fly, run at hundreds of miles an hour). If you learn to love that feeling, you can, in a deep meditative dtate, create a feeling of falling, flying, whatever feels best for you, and use that to AP.
Thanks, Gaia.  I'll try that.  Does the falling feeling help you to deepen the trance or is the falling feeling only available to you after the trance is already deep?  That question is key for me because the reason I can't AP during the afternoon is because I can't get into a deep trance at that time.  At night I can go into a deep trance really fast.  It just 'offers itself ' to me.  But when i do the exact same practice during the afternoon, nothing happens.

Szaxx

Reducing the amount of sleep makes daytime experiences easier. You'll feel tired later on and finding a balance is key.
This worked for years way back.
:wink:
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

Jdeadevil

Getting up with less than 9 hours sleep is difficult as hell for me

proyect_outzone

QuoteGetting up with less than 9 hours sleep is difficult as hell for me

Distribute your sleep in 2 phases and you need less (example: 5 hours night and 2 hours noon).

Jdeadevil