Theory on playing card validation

Previous topic - Next topic

TurtleSnake

Hey all,

I've just been reading about people using playing cards to validate real time OBEs. One this that seems to occur is that people have no issues recalling the correct suit after returning to the physical, however significant issues recalling the number.

I've studied a technique called mental pegging, a technique that uses visualization to remember last lists of information. With concentration I can recall a list of 40 items in order with relative ease. The technique itself is based on a simple concept regarding how the mind remembers things, a concept that I'm fairly certain carries over to OBEs.

To demonstrate the concept, read this passage:

A red corner lounge, with two black cushions either end, a throw rug over the back and a long tear in one of the cushions.

Obviously, in reading that you saw an image of the couch in your mind. This is the key, the fact that the memory works on images and not on words. A lot of people fall into the mistake of repeat reading concepts to remember them, when reading it once and applying an image to it means you only have to read it once.

Considering the nature of what people on the forums here do, it should be no surprise that the mind works on pictures (More accurately, symbols). So based on this I think playing cards aren't the best option as a tool to validate, particularly in the early stages.

I'd like to see how somebody goes using the Zener card set, the psychic testing cards that just have very simple, defined symbols on them. I suspect that these will bring far more success because a symbol will imprint directly onto you memory, where the number on a playing card has two stages to go through, because it has to be translated from a symbol (e.g. 3) to the concept of the number then back to a symbolic interpretation again. Interestingly the card experiments I read with playing cards generally show correct suit, but also correctly seeing a face card for a face card, or a numerical card for a numerical card, but never seeing a face card for a numerical card or visa versa. This might also explain why it's so difficult to recall written text from an OBE.

Anyway, I'm still a bit of experimenting myself with this (I also think theres a strong correlation between the buddhist goal of a "wordless" existence and the symbolic language of consciousness) but I'd love to see someone try with symbol cards. Better yet may be a collection of small objects that can be selected randomly by someone else. One thing we all know from visualizations and myself especially from practicing mental hooking is that the more senses you engage, the more chance of correct recollection. So something that can be touched and felt as well as looked at might give you even more chance of validating.

So that's just some ideas from another similar area of study. Love to hear if it makes a difference.

CFTraveler

This is a brilliant observation, TurtleSnake.  I don't think I've ever read anyone else make this point before.

Xanth

doncaras

Quote from: CFTraveler on January 31, 2011, 14:41:59
This is a brilliant observation, TurtleSnake.  I don't think I've ever read anyone else make this point before.

The same method is used in Remote Viewing while seeking for lotto numbers. Each number is paired with the image and then the image is retrieved, not the number.

TurtleSnake

Quote from: doncaras on January 31, 2011, 17:13:03
The same method is used in Remote Viewing while seeking for lotto numbers. Each number is paired with the image and then the image is retrieved, not the number.

Indeed, mental pegging for memory has exactly the same thing. Its all about making an image from information or text. For example the licence plate DHV116 becomes a visual story of a Dog smacking me with a Hammer, before kidnapping me in a Van, then hitting a Tree, causing me to fly out of the front windshield and hit another Tree, then having the dog come and shoot me with a Gun. Its nice and emotive, when you visualize it properly the brain easily keeps hold of emotive, exciting and strange events. So if I try to recall the plate I get the story in my mind I just made, and can thus recall D(og)H(ammer)V(an)1(tree)1(tree)6(gun).