Tip for attempting meditation/projection in noisy atmosphere...

Previous topic - Next topic

Amorda

Recently, I have been having to practice projection or meditation in rather noisy environments. Because of this I have developed a technique to help catapult myself into a peaceful relaxed state despite whatever is going on around me. And I would like to share.

First off, you want to work WITH the noise and not against it. Go with the flow.
Visualize and sense the noise in your mind-Whatever it may be. And then you want try and find the silence within that noise. Its almost like a track overlayed by another. Something that is hidden within. Actually that is exactly how I envision it. But do what works for you. Listen for the silence and try and focus on that. Align yourself with it if you can and eventually you will start to FEEL it.

Sorry if this is hard to understand. Its the best way I can describe it! Let me know if this works!

Lionheart

...or just get a good set of earplugs or some noise cancelling headphones! Problem solved.  :-D

I read some advise on meditation a few years ago, whereas the guy states that you have to be like a "chunk of Swiss Cheese" and let the sound flow through you.

Xanth

Earplugs... too easy!  :) hehe

To add to what Amorda is saying...
I "allow" the sounds to wash over me... visually speaking, that is. 
It's hard to describe, but if you imagine the sound as a wave in the ocean... as you're standing in the ocean, you "allow" the water to wash over you, or as Amorda said, go with the flow... allow it to flow over you.  Accept it.  Let it move around you without effecting you.  :)

Szaxx

Noise is only a problem if the dynamic range is excessive. A quiet babbling brook being the background level and then a shotgun blasting away at random close by as an example.
If this can be solved without a million watts of white noise drowning everything then real progress is being made.
I know the extremes above are way off that experienced but can this be mastered by allowing the noise to flow through?
I personally like total silence, this is never met unless I can get into an anechoic chamber.lol
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

BranStark

I would like to share an interesting experience I had a few days past. First, I need to say that I, too, prefer meditating in silence or rather in the woods (the sound of leaves and birds singing is even better than just silence, I find :-)). I usually try to meditate in noisy environment, too, but until a few days ago I was only able to get into the right meditative state when alone.
But last week I was sitting in a noisy room with people talking around me. Our dog was to have a back surgery that day and I didn't want to just sit idle there and feel absolutely helpless, so I decided to try to give him some "remote support." I closed my eyes and visualised him being close to me. After moment I felt like there was actually some kind of connection and energy flowing from me to him. Not just sure if it was for real or just my imagination (I hope it was the first :wink:).
Well, the point is I obtained a strong dissociation from my surroundigs and felt myself rotating in the blackness of my closed eyelids. Now this is a state I had never been able to reach unless completely alone and undisturbed. And also while I was doing this I was able to hear the people around me very clearly and yet my concentration on the meditation or the rotation didn't waver. I could be part of the both scenes at the same time. Cool, huh? :-D
BTW our dog should be fine. :-)

Lionheart

Quote from: BranStark on March 26, 2014, 16:06:58
Well, the point is I obtained a strong dissociation from my surroundigs and felt myself rotating in the blackness of my closed eyelids. Now this is a state I had never been able to reach unless completely alone and undisturbed. And also while I was doing this I was able to hear the people around me very clearly and yet my concentration on the meditation or the rotation didn't waver. I could be part of the both scenes at the same time. Cool, huh? :-D
BTW our dog should be fine. :-)
Congratulations it looks like you just learned a new skill.

I find a strong will and intent triumphs over all!  :wink:

That's good news that your dog is doing find. Your actions showed you are a loyal companion, as is he or she.  :-)

Phaedrus

Quote from: Lionheart on March 26, 2014, 01:47:15
I read some advise on meditation a few years ago, whereas the guy states that you have to be like a "chunk of Swiss Cheese" and let the sound flow through you.

I love this, Lionheart ! It's a great metaphor.

I will definitely bear this in mind if I find myself in a noisy environment.

Xanth

Quote from: Phaedrus on April 03, 2014, 06:51:15
I love this, Lionheart ! It's a great metaphor.

I will definitely bear this in mind if I find myself in a noisy environment.
I have no doubt that you'll be really surprised by how effective that particular visualization is.  :)

000MobianAngel000

This is very interesting, I've always wanted to try projecting at college.