Using imagined "physical" sensory experiences

Previous topic - Next topic

light487

Hi All,

Had a cold over the weekend and along with the cold a headache on the first morning. Getting almost over the cold now but something, which is not new, came to mind when I was sitting the shower to help with my headache. I like to sit in the bottom of my shower and let the hot water spray down on to the back of my head/neck. This sensory effect immediately removes the pain from my headache and allows me to completely relax. I get so relaxed and focused "within" that I begin to have astral awarenesses. I can "easily" sense everything around me but mainly behind me. I can "see" it with my mind's eye almost as clearly as if I was looking at it with my physical eyes. At this point I tend to get the feeling that someone is watching me.. that whole "other presence" thing that always seems to come when you're doing astral sensing while fully conscious.

While in this state, with the water spraying on me, I can easily reach these states of awareness and visualisation of other things, such as the Astral Pulse Island image, is simple. Of course the hot water eventually runs out and I am left with a quickly fading sensation and back to physical sensing within a few short minutes. I'm wondering if there was a way I could intiate this same effect using an "imagined" sense of the water spraying down on me. Focusing my awareness on the back of my head/neck and trying to feel the water and the massage-like feeling it gives.

I did try a little but with my cold, I've been unable to do much. So I am wondering if anyone has had any luck using imagined sensory experiences to invoke AP or astral awareness. Or whether concetrating on physical sensory experiences will actually make it harder because I am concentrating on the physical?

astraladdict

Use the memory of the relaxation, to help you relax while attempting to OBE

~astraladdict
My smile tells lies, but my eyes tell the truth...

justin35ll

I agree with astral addict on that one.
Now that I think about it I remember I've found myself almost falling asleep in the shower standing because the water beating down on me relaxes me. I think I'll try this to see what happens haha

Xanth

Quote from: justin35ll on August 29, 2011, 00:17:58
I agree with astral addict on that one.
Now that I think about it I remember I've found myself almost falling asleep in the shower standing because the water beating down on me relaxes me. I think I'll try this to see what happens haha
Actually, if you really think about it, it is not the relaxation that puts you to sleep... it is the disassocistion caused by the sound of the water and the drowning out of the local sounds that cause you to lose awareness.

Relaxation actually has very little to do with sleeping, meditation or projection.  It only helps the beginners in the art.

NoY

For me its all about relaxation body and mind  :wink:

:NoY:

astraladdict

Quote from: Ryan_ on August 29, 2011, 00:34:01

Relaxation actually has very little to do with sleeping, meditation or projection.  It only helps the beginners in the art.

I disagree, lets say you have some muscle tension. How are you going to sleep, OBE or meditate with the feeling of uncomfortable? When you are relaxed, your mind is silent, your body is calm and you can focus better at the task at hand.

~astraladdict

Xanth

You've never fallen asleep with stiff muscles before?
You've never fallen asleep in an uncomfortable position?

Not being relaxed *CAN* be overcome by your Intent.

I'm not saying it doesn't help, I'm saying it's not required once you learn to ignore it.

astraladdict

Quote from: Ryan_ on August 29, 2011, 20:09:49

Not being relaxed *CAN* be overcome by your Intent.

I'm not saying it doesn't help, I'm saying it's not required once you learn to ignore it.
I'm sure everybody can agree that with "stiff muscles" and being in a "uncomfortable position" it makes going to sleep a whole lot more difficult. I'm not saying that relaxation is 'required" i'm saying that relaxation will help you a whole lot.

~astraladdict

Stookie_

Yeah, I find relaxation very important as well. However, we may be getting into semantics about the word "relax" now. I know that both sleep and meditation are MUCH easier and faster when I'm relaxed first. Like NoY said, it's not just body, but mind as well.

Quote from: Ryan_ on August 29, 2011, 20:09:49

Only when I'm absolutely exhausted or drunk, but not during meditation.

light487

I think why the shower thing works so well for is that the "sound" of the water hitting my head is echoed with the feeling of it hitting my head. As Ryan said, it is the drowning out of the other senses. However in this case it is multiple senses at the same time with a direct relationship between the stimulus. If it was a pulsing sound and an unrelated physical stimulus, I am not sure whether it would be the same.. or perhaps it would be better? I don't know.. just a thought.

Contenteo

If you do the same thing with the lights off, does it produce the same effect? Less, more?

Cheers,
Contenteo

Xanth

Quote from: Contenteo on September 04, 2011, 04:07:41
If you do the same thing with the lights off, does it produce the same effect? Less, more?

Cheers,
Contenteo
In absolute darkness with some kind of white noise going, yup, you'll experience the same thing.

"More or Less" depends upon your ability to *allow* that disassociation to occur.

blossom123

I have had basically the same effect by floating in a very large full tub....