What Sleep State is most beneficial for rest?

Previous topic - Next topic

+Explorer+

Do you get more rest when your in a Light or Deep sleep? I feel like I am a deep sleeper because when I wake up I am always very sleepy and I can't even talk sometimes because I am still in the sleep and sometimes it's hard to wake up right away.

Timandra

Deep Sleep
Each stage of sleep offers benefits to the sleeper. However, deep sleep is perhaps the most vital stage. It is the first stage that the brain attempts to recover when sleep deprived, and the strongest effects of sleep deprivation are from inadequate deep sleep. What might disrupt deep sleep? If you are caring for someone around the clock, whether it is a small infant or an elderly relative with a serious illness, you might need to attend to them suddenly in the middle of the night. Loud noise outside or inside the home might wake you. If you work the night shift, sleeping during the day may be difficult, due to light and excess noise during the day. Substances like alcohol and nicotine also disrupt deep sleep.

http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleeping.htm
Hope this is helpful.  :-)
Some things have to be believed to be seen ~ Ralph Hodgson

Tiny

I think it's best beneficial to you when you stay at the outskits of the sleep world because when you enter the sleep world like normal, you pay an energy toll first and get new energy for the next day at a later point during sleep but when you sleep along the border of the sleep dimension you're getting energy for free apparently, that's been my experience.

caterpillarwoman

Deep sleep is when your brain and body produce the hormones necessary for healing and repair/renewal (HCG). If you don't get enough deep sleep, you can develop health problems, because your body isn't able to repair itself properly.

REM (dream) sleep is also necessary, although nobody is entirely sure why. Research where subjects are allowed to sleep but are deprived of REM sleep develop mental and emotional deficits, and find it difficult to learn new skills, leading some researchers to conclude that part of why we dream is to allow our minds to sort out new things that we're learning and integrate them. Also, being denied REM sleep has a tendency to make a person extremely irritable, no matter how much other sleep they get.

Basically, it's like a balanced diet. You need a variety of foods, and you need the complete range of sleep patterns in order to have optimal health.

As for the groggy sleep thing, I have that, too. Doesn't matter how much I sleep, if I slept deeply or lightly, if I drank the night before or not, or anything else. I've been this way since I was a kid. I'm just always groggy when I wake up, no matter what (so are a couple of my children). I can sleep through most things if I'm determined to do so, but I can also sleep very lightly, and it doesn't seem to make a difference as far as how groggy I am when I wake up. I think some people are just "wired" this way, and some people are the sort who wake up fully alert and ready to go.

+Explorer+